A Doll's Destiny

The boy took the dinosaur and placed them both into his bag for transport. He then smiled when Aiden asked for a hug. He wrapped his arms around Aiden and gave him a hug, then he returned to his mother and took her hand. "Bye. I'll come visit you again!" He waved with his free hand as they left the store. Clara waited until they were gone to speak.

"That was a pleasant turn of events," she responded. "That boy really likes you. It seems not everyone learns about living dolls through scary movies." She had completely forgotten about that family friendly, kid movie where the toys can come to life. The boy must have really been a fan of that movie.

"Bye, guys, have a great day," Aiden called after them.
He faced Clara and sighed in relief. "Yeah, thank goodness."

"Like we said before, not everyone is going to think negatively of you," Clara replied. "And that happened today. The kid likes you. I hope it at least gave you a little bit of relief and happiness." She didn't know what any other encounter would be like, but at least they had a good one to start the day with.

"Oh, believe me, it has," Aiden replied through a light laugh. "They were both so sweet."

Clara nodded in agreement. "They were. It was refreshing," she commented. "Ah, well, now that they are gone, feel free to continue with what you planned to do with my laptop. I'll just be waiting here for some customers." She always had to do a lot of waiting in a smaller, local bookstore. It wasn't like the customers came in one after another. She had a lot of downtime at certain points of the day.

Nodding, Aiden returned to the chair and looged into the laptop, once again going on Youtube.

A little while later, some more customers arrived. Some of them Clara had to help find some books, others she simply just helped them pay for what they wanted to buy. Everything seemed to be going well. Some of them had already heard of Aiden at this point so it didn't really seem to affect them that he was there. A couple of them did greet him though.

As people came and went, some greeting him, others ignoring him, Aiden's initial anxiety slowly ebbed away. It seemed this community was rather accepting, despite how unusual someone like Aiden was.

Clara was glad his interactions were fairly well. Perhaps it was because they were more of a smaller community and were a bit closer to each other. Either way, it was good. It was even much better to have others ignore him rather than hate on him. Clara did her job and helped the customers out when they needed her. Then her lunch break came so she temporarily closed the shop. "So, get any responses from your applications yet?"

"No, not yet," the doll replied. "Guess I couldn't blame them. I mean, I'm not the only applicant."

"Yeah, it usually takes a while," Clara replied. She wasn't surprised. Most companies took a few weeks to go through applicants, but it wasn't impossible for one to do things more quickly so she thought she would ask. "Well, that's pretty usual so don't let it worry you. Like you said, they have other applications to read through as well."

"I won't. I'm just taking today to enjoy everyone's company," Aiden sighed. A thought struck him. "Speaking of jobs, if where I end up working ends up being a ways away, how will I get there?"

Clara nodded as she heard his comment, but hadn't thought about the answer to his next one at all yet. She was quiet for a moment as she thought about it. "Well, it depends on how far away. For certain distances you could probably walk like we do for here. But if it's farther away than what you can walk then you'll have to take the bus or some other sort of public transportation until you can figure out another form. I still don't know if you would be allowed to get a driver's license either, but for now anyway, it would have to be public transportation."

"Yeah. Correct me if I'm wrong, but don't people my size need booster seats for cars? I think I'm too small for a normal-sized seatbelt," Aiden said.

"Well, in your case, we'd need a lot more than just a booster seat. Sure, one if you were just the passenger, but if you wanted to drive yourself then there's a lot more than just a booster seat," Clara replied. He wouldn't be able to reach the pedals. "I'm not sure what kind of seat you would want though. Most are for children, so I don't know how you would feel about that."

"True. I guess I'll have to drive those motorized toy cars," Aiden replied.

"I don't know if that's street legal," Clara replied. She had no idea how he'd really deal with driving. It would have to be something they got more information on. "But we'll deal with that later on. You might end up getting a job that's a lot closer than you think or even one of the work from home jobs. And the public transportation around here is good. We're not a really big town so it's really good at being on time and not being very crowded."

"Well, that's good to know. I think the work from home jobs would be ideal," the doll said.

"Just keep applying to places and see what happens. That's all you can do," she replied. They didn't know how long it could take for him to get a job, so it was best to wait to worry about any transportation until they knew what job he might have in the first place. If he got one where he could work from home and they had already worried about it, then that would have been wasted time worrying for nothing. She gave him a smile.

"I'll stick with that for now," he replied.