A Doll's Destiny

• So many newbies lately! Here is a very important PSA about one of our most vital content policies! Read it even if you are an ancient member!
Clara wondered what types of jobs he was thinking about applying for. She knew he might be limited since he didn't have experience, but she wondered what kind of jobs might be on his mind. After all, in order to really look for something you had to pick more specific jobs. Though, he could attempt to go more general, but that wasn't always going to get you the job.

After about an hour, Aiden finally finished composing a decent resume. After saving the document, he returned to the search and selected the 'work from home data entry clerk' position. Once he read the entry a couple times, he submitted his first job application. Feeling a sense of pride, he grinned and leaned back.

Clara glanced over, curious to know what he was choosing and saw the data entry position. That seemed like something he could do. She was glad to see he was handling things well. "Don't forget about a cover letter if they want that and I suggest even if it's optional," she commented. "You don't want to look like you are doing the bare minimum when it comes to job applications."

"I'll keep that mind," Aiden said. "Do work from home positions have interviews?"

"Most of the time, yeah. They could potentially be done by phone or through a web chat. Almost all jobs require an interview," Clara replied. "After all, they want to hire the right person and just a piece of paper doesn't always tell them everything about that person. The only times I've ever seen something not have a interview is some sort of freelance work."

"Okay," Aiden replied. "Guess I'm gonna have to look up job interviews, too."

"Yeah, those can really get people if you aren't prepared," Clara replied. "You have to make sure you know how to answer certain questions and it's also important to know the company you are applying to. It sounds like a lot of work, and it is, but that's just the way these companies are. They always act like you should know everything about them."

Aiden groaned, rubbing his head. "I had no idea. Alright...guess I got my work cut out for me."

"Yeah, it's a lot of work to get a job. Honestly, too much in a way, but you have to understand that they want to find the right person," Clara replied. "But don't worry too much about the interview part, you have to wait until they respond to you for one in the first place. Plus, you won't always get a response about an interview anyway."

"That's...good, I guess. Will give me more time to practice. I just feel sorry for humans who are struggling," Aiden replied, opening another tab and searching for answers to common job interview questions. "Getting a job shouldn't be this difficult."

"Yeah, it really shouldn't be," Clara replied. "Everyone always says that looking for a job is a job in itself because of how much work you have to put into it. But just do your best and I'm sure you'll be fine. There are places out there willing to hire those who might not have much experience and such like you. It only takes one after all."

"Yeah, I'll try my best," Aiden read over the information, mentally jotting down as much as he could, occasionally glancing to the book. "By the way, what's freelance work?"

"Freelance basically means you employ yourself, you don't really work for a specific company," Clara replied. "I mean, there are companies that specifically hire freelances so sometimes you will only be doing one specific companies work, but you'll still technically be a self-employed person. Most freelancers don't get benefits and have to do all their taxes themselves, I believe."

"I'll consider that if nothing works, but I think I'd rather get benefits. From what I hear, taxes are not cheap," Aiden replied.

"But do you even need benefits. I mean, most of benefits are about health insurance and you aren't really someone who needs that. Your health would be stitching something or something like that. As for taxes, that depends on how much you make. Most places take taxes out of your pay for you, but not all the time if you are freelancing," Clara replied. "Like I work at the bookstore. Some of my pay gets taken out for taxes and it goes to the government."

"Maybe I don't need insurance, but I could definitely use the paid time off, and good to know about the taxes," Aiden replied.

"That's true. Though I'm pretty sure you still get some in some sort of fashion when you are a freelancer, but I don't know the details. As you can see I'm not one, so you'd have to look up more information if you wanted to go that route. But you can always just apply for traditional jobs where they offer you regular benefits," Clara replied. She really didn't know a lot about it since that wasn't something she ever thought about. She wanted to be around books and that wasn't really something that was freelance.

"That's good to know," said Aiden. "For now, I'll stick to traditional jobs."

"Okay. Let me know if you have anymore questions on anything," Clara commented. Job searching was a lot of work and sometimes other problems did pop up. She would be there for him when needed. She took a sip of water from her glass and leaned back on the couch, getting more comfortable. She closed her eyes for a few minutes just to relax.

Nodding, Aiden continued his search, using the book as a reference. He managed to apply to a transcriptionist.