A Doll's Destiny

"Ah, a piano is definitely expensive. And it's a big item that needs room," Clara commented. Though, it was a beautiful instrument, especially to listen to. "That's something that if you want, you are going to have to save up for it. And no, I don't have one here. I don't even have a toy piano here. Not that I would normally anyway. Most only would if they had a kid. They take time to learn too. Is it something you are just curious to mess with or were you curious to actually learn how to play?"

"...A bit of both," Aiden said after a pause. It's have to be a small piano, so he could reach the black and white keys.

"I see," Clara replied. "Well, you could take lessons without having a piano in the house, I believe. But I don't know how to tweak any of it for you." And it wasn't like piano lessons were cheap either. She had just bought him quite a bit of stuff. She really needed to hold off on buying him anything more. She still had her own bills and other things to pay for after all.

"I think I'll hold off on that for now. I heard lessons aren't cheap," Aiden said. He didn't want to become greety and suck out Clara's money.

"Yeah, they really aren't. And I honestly don't know what it would be like to work around your size in that regard either," Clara replied. "I want you to have your own things here, but I can't really afford to buy you every single thing you want." She didn't mind giving him some things, but if it wanted to be a functioning adult despite being a doll, then like they mentioned before, he was going to have to start getting his own money.

"Yeah," Aiden said. After a moment, he asked, "Anyhow...what kinds of puzzles do you have?"

"All sorts of puzzles," Clara replied. "I have ones different sizes and amount of pieces. I have ones of animals, scenery, and the scenery is mixed too. Like I have a beach one, a forest one, some ocean and other water ones. You can always check them out for yourself. These I know are easy for you to check out because they are on the lower shelves of the closet. There are a couple in my own closet in my room too."

"Okay," he pulled the icepack out from behind himself and climbed off the sofa. "You can have that back. My back feels better."
Heading to the closet, Aiden opened the door and rummaged through the collections of puzzles, eventually stopping on a hundred-piece underwater scene. He pulled it out, shut the door, returned to the living room and set it on the floor. "How about this one?"

Clara took the ice pack and while he was away, she placed it back into the refrigerator to freeze up again. She then returned to the living room as she waited for him to come back with a puzzle. Once he had, she took a look at the puzzle he had chosen. "Yeah. We can work on that one," she commented. "Just go ahead and place all of the pieces onto the table and we can start. Make sure you leave room for us to assemble the puzzle together."

"The kitchen table or the coffee table right here?" Aiden asked.

"Either one really, but I suppose the kitchen table would give us more room to work with," Clara replied. It was only a hundred piece puzzle so it wasn't going to be very big and the pieces would most likely be decently sized. So, she believed both tables would work, but the larger of the two would definitely give them more tabletop to work with.

Nodding, the toy walked to the kitchen table and, holding the puzzle in one, he pulled himself into a chair with the other and put it on the table with the other. He then removed the lid, set it aside, put the blanket puzzle down, dumped the pieces into a pile, shoved the now empty box aside.

"Make sure you you keep the picture of the puzzle around so we can look at it. That's the only way we're going to know where to place any pieces, by looking at the picture they give us," Clara replied. "And technically you can put a puzzle together however you want, usually most people find it easier to start with the edges. So, find all the edge pieces and place them where we're going to start assembling our puzzle."

Nodding, Aiden looked in the box. Sure enough, there was a picture of the finished puzzle, so he put that next to the pile of pieces. He then began putting the edge pieces on, occasionally glance at the picture for affirmation.

Clara also took a look at the picture and then started to pick some edge pieces out of the nearby pile. She placed them into the open space in order to separate them all from the other pieces. Then as she saw ones that fit together, she would put them together and add them to the puzzle. She would also glance at the picture to make sure she was putting pieces together correctly.

As Clara placed pieces on the puzzle, Aiden skimmed through the pile until he found some that connected to hers.

"Once we get the edges all put together, we can work from them and start putting the inside of the puzzle together," Clara explained as she found a few more edges from the pile and placed them together. It took time to do a puzzle, but it was fun and it never felt like you were taking a long time to do it either. "Do you like it so far?"

"I do, thank you," Aiden smiled, placing what he assumed were the last edge pieces on the puzzle. He skimmed through the pile, trying to find pieces that could connect to them.

"That's good," Clara replied. She was glad he was enjoying the puzzle. There was no sense working on one if he wasn't. She looked at the edge that they had. "It seems to me like it all fits so I think we have it all, but it is good to double check just in case. Sometimes pieces can look like they go together but turns out there was something just a little off about it."

"For now, I think we're fine," Aiden placed a piece toward the upper right corner. "But, if we find any that don't, we can always fix that."