A Doll's Destiny

"True, but it does help to have this part correct when doing the inside section. You don't want it throwing off the inside. But it should be fine. I'm pretty sure it looks right anyway," Clara replied. "So, now we can start placing the inside. The inside is a little bit harder. You kind of just have to look for pieces that look like sections from the picture. That's why it helps to start from the edges and build from there because now we have something to start with."

"Like a strong foundation," Aiden deduced. He looked at the picture, then at the puzzle, finding a piece that matched and putting it where ie belonged.

"Yeah, it's a good place to start," Clara commented. She moved around the pieces in the pile so they could see them better. It wasn't easy to see each piece if they were on top of each other and when it came to working on the inside of a puzzle, you needed to see all of the pieces because any piece could go anywhere.

Aiden connected another piece to the puzzle: the head of a clown fish. He leaned back in his seat, feet crossed at the ankles, humming under his breath.

Clara glanced over at him. He seemed to be happy about his progress, which was nice. That was part of enjoying a puzzle. Once all the pieces were visible, she also started to put some pieces into the puzzle so they could reveal more of the picture. "Technically speaking, puzzles don't have to be finished right away or in one sitting. You can always take a break and come back, even for multiple days."

"Okay," he added four more pieces. "I think I'll take a break and watch some TV. Besides, we've been at this for, what, a half hour?"

"That's fine. We can take a break," Clara replied. She didn't want him getting too bored of it and forcing himself. "Go ahead and look for something on TV then. I'm going to make myself some lunch because I'm getting hungry. Once I make my sandwich, I'll join you." She stood up and went to get all the ingredients she needed to make her sandwich.

Nodding, Aiden climbed off the chair and headed back over to the couch. Climbing aboard, he flipped the TV on and turned on Nickelodeon, which was currently airing an episode of SpongeBob. He reclined into the cushions and sighed, content.

Clara went on to make myself and ham and cheese sandwich and poured a glass of water to drink. Once those were both ready, she headed into the living room. She placed her stuff down on the coffee table and glanced at what he picked to watch. She wasn't really a big fan of SpongeBob and didn't really watch it, but he seemed to be enjoying it.

Aiden grinned. On screen, SpongeBob and Patrick lifted and flipped Squidward's house. In cartoons, one thing was common: the characters took a simple concept and went completely off the rails with it.
"Seriously? Flipping houses means selling them, not literally flipping them!" the toy laughed.

Well, she was glad he was enjoying himself. She picked up her plate with her sandwich and started to eat it as she watched the show with him. She understood why he was laughing about it, but the type of comedy it had wasn't really for her. Though, that might be a good thing since she was trying to eat at the time.

The show cut to commercial. The toy faced Clara and asked in a british accent, "Enjoying you sandwich, my darling?"

Clara paused before she took another bite and glanced over at her doll friend. "Yeah, I am," she commented. "The ham is really good." It was a shame he couldn't eat because there were some wonderful tastes out there. But he didn't have a stomach or any organs so those things really didn't seem possible. Though, if he didn't have any, it still left the question of how was he alive then. But there was no sense in overthinking it.

"Good, good," he said.
The show returned, this time to an episode where SpongeBob used bubbles as transportation, instead of boats.

Clara continued to eat her sandwich as she watched the show. When she was finished, she got up and went back into the kitchen. She washed her plate because she didn't want to leave it dirty, then dried it and put it away into the cabinet. She walked back to the living room and took a seat down again. She wondered if he had watched this show before and if that was why he had chosen it.

Tow hours later, Aiden hopped off the couch and sat back at the kitchen table. He picked up a puzzle piece and faced Clara. "Want to finish this?"

"Yeah, sure," Clara replied. She walked over to the puzzle and took a seat down in one of the kitchen chairs. She wasn't as interested in watching the TV as he was anyway. She started to look through the puzzle to see if she could find some pieces that would fit with sections that they already had done. Once she saw a piece she would try it out. Sometimes it worked. Sometimes it was the wrong piece.

Aiden glanced through the pile and picked up two, placing them in their respective spots, according to the picture. The picture was slowly coming together, starting to resemble an underwater scene.

It was fun to finally start seeing a picture when you worked on a puzzle. It meant that you were getting something done. Clara continued to look for pieces and place them in their right spots when she found the correct ones. After all, it wasn't like every time you picked up a piece, it was going to be the right one. Sometimes pieces could look really similar, especially if there was a lot of the same color.

Aiden did the same, sometimes placing down the correct, sometimes putting in incorrect ones. When the latter occured, he just put them back and tried again.