Will You Be My Princess?

Status
Not open for further replies.
America opened her mouth to protest but slowly closed it and sighed. "As you wish," she said simply, her voice a bit softer and slightly more delicate than before. "I apologize for intruding," she said before turning and hurrying back towards the garden.

Aryn entered his room and put his sword in its place in the corner, and also removed his armor. He sat down at his desk and began to write a letter. He wore a frown on his face as he did so. This was the first time he'd written home in thirteen years. Maybe more. He took a deep breath and read over his letter, giving a small nod of approval, before nearly folding it up and putting it in an envelope and putting his seal on it. He neatly wrote the address on the front of the envelope and left his room, quickly heading to the mail room. Tomorrow he would have to talk to the head maid. Fortunately, she knew him since he first set foot in the castle oh so many years ago, and was more of a mother hen figure to him than his own mother.

America went back to her canvas and started on a new one. She smiled softly as she allowed herself to let loose and sighed softly. She wasn't sure what she was drawing, but somehow, it meant a lot to her.

Aryn made his way back to his room. Several people gave him odd looks as he passed by in his casual clothes. The captain of the guard almost never ventured out without his armor. But honestly the captain didn't give two flying fudges about it at the moment. He got back to his room without being bothered, a miracle in itself, really. He'd just shut the door when the dizziness struck again. He leaned up against the door and carefully sat down. The room was spinning like crazy, making him want to puke. He shut his eyes and made sure to take deep breaths. It would be over soon enough.

America finished painting and looked at the rose with a smile. She smeared some black paint over a bit of white paint on her cheek before smiling and leaving it to dry. She walked inside and explored the castle a bit as she waited for Aryn to wake up.

Aryn had fallen asleep sitting in front of his door. The head guard before him probably would have been somewhere between laughing his ass off and dragging Aryn's sorry ass out to the stables, if he'd been there to see it.
After a couple hours, the captain woke with a start, not recognizing his room until he realized he was on the floor by the door. He stood up and brushed himself off, before putting his armor back on, grabbing his sword, and heading out the door. He went off to find the princess.

America sat silently in the dining room, eating some cut up apples tossed in cinnamon. She hummed softly to herself as she glanced around the room, looking at the decor and such. It wasn't a bad look, but it wasn't her.

Aryn was walking past the kitchen when he heard the humming of Miss Marie. He watched as she whisked out into the dining room with some apples and cinnamon. He stood patiently in the doorway and waited for the older maid to return and clean up the kitchen. When she returned, she noticed him standing there and her face lit up. "Aryn, what a surprise! You look half starved to death!"
She started whipping up a grilled cheese sandwich before the guard could protest. "Actually, I wanted to talk to you about a more important matter. My uncle just passed away-" He was cut off by a sympathetic comment which he brushed off. Continuing after a second, "and my cousin doesn't know how to run the family forge. She needs a job. Do you think you could take her on as a maid?" He asked her with a hopeful expression.
"Of course, dear. Now, go eat." She stated as she put his grilled cheese sandwich on a plate and handed it to him.
"Thank you, Miss Marie." Gratitude was clear in his voice as he walked out of the kitchen and into the dining room with a rare smile on his face. He blinked in surprise as he saw the princess sitting at the table.

America glanced up as she saw Aryn walk in with a smile. "What's got you so happy?" She asked as she grinned a bit and bit into an apple. She wasn't sure why but she felt a sudden happiness every time she saw him.

"Just some good news." Aryn explained as he sat down at the table with his grilled cheese. He quietly began to eat his grilled cheese sandwich, still smiling slightly. He hadn't realized how hungry he was until he started eating.

America smiled as she finished the slice of apple. "Care to elaborate?" She asked as she leaned over and rested he head on her hand and smiled sweetly. "You've got to be completely open with me if this is gonna work, she said with a smile, not meaning it harshly.

Aryn set down his sandwich and fixed his gaze on the princess. There was paint on her cheek, and her sweet smile was setting off at least a dozen alarms in the back of his mind. "What do you mean by 'this'?" He asked her with furrowed brows.

America giggled childishly and straightened up. "Living under the same roof," she said with a smile as she put her hair up in a messy bun.

Aryn relaxed a bit at her answer, but he was no less apprehensive towards telling her about his private matters. "I don't try to invade in your personal life any more than I have to. I wish that you would do the same." He stated quietly and continued to eat his grilled cheese.

America was a bit taken aback by the comment and looked down. She didn't realize it was possible to feel as bad as she did at that point. "Because you don't have to try since I'm completely open anyway," she said as she stood up, leaving her food as she walked out of the dining room and outside to the stables. She walked up to her pitch black horse and gently pet her. "Good girl Midnight.."

Aryn let out a soft sigh as the princess left the table. He went to take another bite of his sandwich, but guilt had gone and wrecked his appetite. He got up from the table and hurried after the princess, making a mental note to apologize to Miss Marie for leaving a mess at the table.

America saddled up Midnight and hopped on her. Kicking the horse's sides, she took off out of the stables and out of the gate. She didn't stop until she reached a cliff and hopped off the horse. She walked to the edge and sat down, swinging her legs a bit.

Aryn got outside just as the princess took off out of the stables. Sprinting to the stables, he quickly got on his horse, riding bareback, and took off after the princess. She had a seriously big lead on him, he probably wouldn't have been able to catch her if she hadn't stopped at a large cliff. Now was probably not the best time to think about his fear of heights. "America, please get off the edge." He spoke, dropping down from his horse. He didn't know how stable it was, and having the princess sitting there was giving him a minor heart attack, just about.

"Is it wrong to enjoy a view?" She asked simply with a mostly emotionless voice, though there was a hint of sadness in it. She hesitantly got up and moved back from the ledge, going to her horse and gently petting her.

"No, America, it's just that this cliff is unstable." Aryn explained with a small frown on his face. Not long after he said that, the spot where she had been sitting crumbled away and fell. Aryn grimmaced slightly as he thought about what would have happened if she stayed there. He flicked his attention back to the princess. "Listen, I'm sorry about what I said earlier, but I'm just not comfortable sharing my past with people who I've just started to get along with." His words were genuine, his gaze remained fixed on the ground.

Status
Not open for further replies.