Who would you vote for the US presidency?

Who do you want to be president of the US?

• Hillary Clinton

Votes: 8 9.0%
  • Donald Trump

Votes: 9 10.1%
  • Jill Stein

Votes: 2 2.2%
  • Gary Johnson

Votes: 7 7.9%
  • Bernie Sanders

Votes: 18 20.2%
  • Vermin Supreme

Votes: 4 4.5%
  • Deez Nuts

Votes: 3 3.4%
  • Giant Meteor 2016

Votes: 20 22.5%
  • Not voting for anyone, they all suck

Votes: 11 12.4%
  • Other

Votes: 7 7.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm getting impatient for the next debate. How am I supposed to deal?
Watch the SNL skit of the last debate? Seriously, I watched the second debate and felt my IQ drop by 100 points. It'd be nice if they could actually get around to discussing the issues.

Reactions: Katori
Watch the SNL skit of the last debate? Seriously, I watched the second debate and felt my IQ drop by 100 points. It'd be nice if they could actually get around to discussing the issues.
I love the SNL take on the debates. I wish I could comment on Alec Baldwin's spot-on voice though. I feel like if I did I'd probably get my inbox spammed with harassment. xD

I'm a Canadian here so my input doesn't really matter, but I'm just gonna comment...a vote for anyone other than your big two parties is a vote thrown away and it's honestly no better than if you didn't go to vote at all. It's not a "protest vote" and it's not going to get them to consider that candidate any more than they already are. You're throwing away your vote by doing that...

At this point, you guys seem to be voting for the lesser of two evils. One evil is a woman who may have partaken in scandalous activity, but she handles herself in a manner that is professional, articulate, graceful, and, quite frankly, presidential. She can be properly understood in the debates, she actually answers the questions, and she has a Plan. From what I've heard, there's actually some really good stuff in the Plan.

On the other hand, you have Trump. He treats most people - women, LGBT individuals, and those terrifying brown people - with a great deal of disdain and disrespect. He doesn't answer the questions at the debates - seriously, it was like listening to that kid in class who didn't do the reading and then got called on and had to spout off random words - and he was constantly interrupting and shouting... I think I heard a lady at work make the best comment ever, she said "Do you really want to hand the nuclear codes to a man who gets angry over simple tweets?"

If you're still not convinced, consider this - it looks like this is going to be REALLY close. In my country right now we have a majority government because he won by a landslide (seriously, it was insane to watch) but your polls are looking tight. If you guys get a minority government, you shouldn't have much of a problem regardless which candidate gets in because there won't be a lot they can do. The fact that Obama's done as much as he has with a minority government (not sure if he's had it both times he was in or not, I just remember a friend explaining it to me in high school) is incredible, but Trump's probably going to try to do some stupid and extreme stuff that's gonna get vetoed quickly by the other decision-making people... I don't know a lot about your system except that you only really have two parties in the government instead of four like we do, lol.

So seriously guys...as your loving Canadian neighbour who really doesn't want anything bad to happen to either of us, pleeeease don't vote in Trump, even if you're really opposed to Hillary....she's leaps and bounds better than him. Please <3 for the love of your super sweet neighbours to the north

I'm a Canadian here so my input doesn't really matter, but I'm just gonna comment...a vote for anyone other than your big two parties is a vote thrown away and it's honestly no better than if you didn't go to vote at all. It's not a "protest vote" and it's not going to get them to consider that candidate any more than they already are. You're throwing away your vote by doing that...

At this point, you guys seem to be voting for the lesser of two evils. One evil is a woman who may have partaken in scandalous activity, but she handles herself in a manner that is professional, articulate, graceful, and, quite frankly, presidential. She can be properly understood in the debates, she actually answers the questions, and she has a Plan. From what I've heard, there's actually some really good stuff in the Plan.

On the other hand, you have Trump. He treats most people - women, LGBT individuals, and those terrifying brown people - with a great deal of disdain and disrespect. He doesn't answer the questions at the debates - seriously, it was like listening to that kid in class who didn't do the reading and then got called on and had to spout off random words - and he was constantly interrupting and shouting... I think I heard a lady at work make the best comment ever, she said "Do you really want to hand the nuclear codes to a man who gets angry over simple tweets?"

If you're still not convinced, consider this - it looks like this is going to be REALLY close. In my country right now we have a majority government because he won by a landslide (seriously, it was insane to watch) but your polls are looking tight. If you guys get a minority government, you shouldn't have much of a problem regardless which candidate gets in because there won't be a lot they can do. The fact that Obama's done as much as he has with a minority government (not sure if he's had it both times he was in or not, I just remember a friend explaining it to me in high school) is incredible, but Trump's probably going to try to do some stupid and extreme stuff that's gonna get vetoed quickly by the other decision-making people... I don't know a lot about your system except that you only really have two parties in the government instead of four like we do, lol.

So seriously guys...as your loving Canadian neighbour who really doesn't want anything bad to happen to either of us, pleeeease don't vote in Trump, even if you're really opposed to Hillary....she's leaps and bounds better than him. Please <3 for the love of your super sweet neighbours to the north
The ones wasting their votes are either voting for the warlord or the con-artist.

The ones wasting their votes are either voting for the warlord or the con-artist.
I think I'm going to need you to elaborate here, I must have misunderstood something in your message.

I think I'm going to need you to elaborate here, I must have misunderstood something in your message.
Who in their right mind wants the woman who voted for the Iraq War to be president?

Who in their right mind wants the man trying to build a wall across Mexico as president?

These are not people we should respect, think of as leaders, or vote for.

Who in their right mind wants the woman who voted for the Iraq War to be president?

Who in their right mind wants the man trying to build a wall across Mexico as president?

These are not people we should respect, think of as leaders, or vote for.
Ah, yes, which is why I referred to it as a lesser of two evils matter. It just comes down to which one can be best tolerated for four years and which one is less likely to break the country before the next election, I guess.

Ah, yes, which is why I referred to it as a lesser of two evils matter. It just comes down to which one can be best tolerated for four years and which one is less likely to break the country before the next election, I guess.
I see no worthwhile difference between the two. More debt, more war, more deprivation of liberties (Patriot Act, anyone?), more capitulations to foreign powers, the list goes on. The people not voting for these monsters are actually concerned about how we got into this mess in the first place. Maybe instead of voting for the lesser evil, we should vote for the greater good.

I see no worthwhile difference between the two. More debt, more war, more deprivation of liberties (Patriot Act, anyone?), more capitulations to foreign powers, the list goes on. The people not voting for these monsters are actually concerned about how we got into this mess in the first place. Maybe instead of voting for the lesser evil, we should vote for the greater good.
But that's how it is everywhere - it generally doesn't really matter who you vote in because there are circumstances in place that they can't change. My mum always makes the comment that it really doesn't matter who you vote for because after watching 50 years of PMs come and go, nothing ever really changes, although I don't know how that can be the case when society is as different now from what it would have been like when she was my age. A protest vote isn't the answer to the matter of the greater good, though, the people counting the ballots aren't going to look at a ballot where someone pencilled in Bernie's name and go "Wow, that's really profound, we should overhaul the entire system and then have a new election", they're just gonna mark it down and keep going.

But that's how it is everywhere - it generally doesn't really matter who you vote in because there are circumstances in place that they can't change. My mum always makes the comment that it really doesn't matter who you vote for because after watching 50 years of PMs come and go, nothing ever really changes, although I don't know how that can be the case when society is as different now from what it would have been like when she was my age. A protest vote isn't the answer to the matter of the greater good, though, the people counting the ballots aren't going to look at a ballot where someone pencilled in Bernie's name and go "Wow, that's really profound, we should overhaul the entire system and then have a new election", they're just gonna mark it down and keep going.
What you've stated here is an admission to the flaws of modern democracy. Why should any of us vote if nothing changes? Should we accept tyranny or state lethargy because it's inevitable? Should we forget that Abraham Lincoln was a 3rd party candidate?

What you've stated here is an admission to the flaws of modern democracy. Why should any of us vote if nothing changes? Should we accept tyranny or state lethargy because it's inevitable? Should we forget that Abraham Lincoln was a 3rd party candidate?
Was he really? That's super cool, I had no idea (Not sarcasm, genuinely think it's cool) but what were the circumstances around him getting in? I don't know much about him except that he was an A+ bro who freed the slaves and had a really tall hat.

Was he really? That's super cool, I had no idea (Not sarcasm, genuinely think it's cool) but what were the circumstances around him getting in? I don't know much about him except that he was an A+ bro who freed the slaves and had a really tall hat.
Glad ya' asked. :)
Lincoln competed against the Democratic and the Constitutional Union parties (the latter of which split the former American Whig vote between themselves and the new Republican Party). Lincoln's unexpected victory prompted the south to secede.

Glad ya' asked. :)
Lincoln competed against the Democratic and the Constitutional Union parties (the latter of which split the former American Whig vote between themselves and the new Republican Party). Lincoln's unexpected victory prompted the south to secede.
So he was actively campaigning as a candidate against the parties despite being a third-party? That seems pretty different from what's going on down there now, though, as everyone seems to be taking sides now between the main two.

On one hand part of me really wants to start asking all sorts of questions about how your system works, but there's another part that's really tired because it's almost midnight and it's been a long day, so I think I'm off to bed, lol. It was a nice talk though :) At the end of the day, we still have Justin Trudeau and you guys don't <3

Reactions: Legens Legentis
Abe also...kind of...sort of suspended the Constitution a few times. And went behind the backs of Congress. And repeatedly violated the rights of the people. This is why I snicker when people throw around the word 'criminal' now. I mean they aren't wrong, but its a bit of an old hat for American politicians. History's written by the winners and he is a great example of that. He halted many newspapers from printing anti-war articles.

He has done many great things for us, but also a few questionable things. It all depends on how you weigh the good stuff and bad stuff.

• Love
Reactions: Decimate
My problem with this election is that people don't seem to understand how our government works and they're pinning the blame for everything on Obama, a democrat president with a majority republican congress. The congress has been going out of their way to spite Obama, regardless of the benefits to the country. Take that 9/11 bill that allows families to sue Saudi Arabia. Obama has said from the beginning that he opposed it and that it would open up opportunities for other countries to sue the U.S. Congress passed it anyway. Obama vetoed it, and Congress overrode his veto. Then once it was signed, what did they do? They said it was a mistake and blamed Obama for it.

It's not the President that needs changed, it's Congress. Some of those bastards have been in office way too long and have lost sight of the fact that we the people are their bosses. We are the ones who elect them and they should be doing what is in the benefit of the majority and not the minority (I mean 1%ers by that, not racial minorities). It's not the millionaires and billionaires that keep this country going, it's the middle and lower classes that are busting their asses. If everyone who made under a million dollars a year suddenly stopped going to work and spent the day doing absolutely nothing at all, this country would go down in flames in the span of one day, and politicians are failing to see that. They're getting hundreds of thousands of dollars from big corporations to pass bills that hurt the working class. That's where things need to change, but as long as there are corrupt corporations, that's not going to change.

So, what can we do? Put fresh faces in every election. Get the assholes who are sitting all cushy in their seats term after term out after two and get someone new in. Another problem is that people aren't actually researching the candidates running. They hear everything out of the mouth of the candidate and take it as gold. Take the presidential candidates for example. Do I honestly believe Trump when he says he's going to change the loopholes and tax cuts that benefit him? If I did, I'd believe the next person who told me they had an island to sell me for $5. Do I honestly trust that Hillary isn't working along with Wall Street? Not at all, but unfortunately this country does need Wall Street to thrive in order to continue functioning. Do I believe Trump is going to bring jobs back to this country? If he was, he'd already be closing down his factories in China and Mexico and moving jobs back to the U.S right now. He's not. He's not using American steel in his buildings, which, if he truly cared about this country, he would be insisting on. Trump wasn't even prepared enough to do a little self vetting before he ran. If he had, he would have seen all of the dirt that was coming out about him beforehand. Do I really want someone who can't even prepare for a campaign actually running the country? Fuck no.

I think it might be better if the British just came back and started running things again. Apparently you lot can't be trusted on your own.

#VoteQueenie2016
Get outta here with your nonsense. We're gonna self destruct and take the rest of the world with us and no old crone with a crown is going to stop us. 8D

Nah, fuck the queen. I'd piss in her tea without feeling an ounce of remorse. Eat shit, Britnerds.

Oh, and to keep it sort of on topic, I'd piss in Clinton and Trump's drinks of choice too. I'm an equal opportunity hater.

As it stands I'll probably just throw my vote at Hillary Clinton. Oregon is going to almost guaranteed go for her anyway, and for all her faults I'd rather have the person appointing new Supreme Court Justices be one who won't pick people who want to regress our civil rights back a few decades.

And just what "civil rights" would these be? Far as I can see, one of Hillary's biggest faults is her total disrespect for the Constitution and for the Rights guaranteed to The People in the Bill of Rights. Let alone the rest of the Constitution's Amendments... she'd gladly toss the whole thing in the trash. Just like all her ilk.

Reactions: Wen
Status
Not open for further replies.