Who would you vote for the US presidency?

Who do you want to be president of the US?

• Hillary Clinton

Votes: 8 9.0%
  • Donald Trump

Votes: 9 10.1%
  • Jill Stein

Votes: 2 2.2%
  • Gary Johnson

Votes: 7 7.9%
  • Bernie Sanders

Votes: 18 20.2%
  • Vermin Supreme

Votes: 4 4.5%
  • Deez Nuts

Votes: 3 3.4%
  • Giant Meteor 2016

Votes: 20 22.5%
  • Not voting for anyone, they all suck

Votes: 11 12.4%
  • Other

Votes: 7 7.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
And just what "civil rights" would these be? Far as I can see, one of Hillary's biggest faults is her total disrespect for the Constitution and for the Rights guaranteed to The People in the Bill of Rights. Let alone the rest of the Constitution's Amendments... she'd gladly toss the whole thing in the trash. Just like all her ilk.
Trump's stances on Amendments:

• First Amendment- Suppressing freedom of press through opening of Libel suits.
  • Second Amendment- Threats to confiscate guns in Chicago.
  • Fourth Amendment- Trump's return to 'Stop and Frisk' policies is in direct violation.
  • Eighth Amendment- Torture of families of possible terrorists
That's not including the fact that many of his supporters want to repeal the 19th amendment because Trump would win if only men could vote. Trump has made more vows to carry out unconstitutional acts during his candidacy than anyone else. His appointment of a Supreme Court judge would most likely set us back decades rather than progress us forward.

Trump vs. the Constitution: A Guide
For the Record: Trump wants guns taken away — in Chicago, at least
Donald Trump Has So Many Unconstitutional Ideas That The ACLU Is Tracking Them | Huffington Post

That's not including the fact that many of his supporters want to repeal the 19th amendment because Trump would win if only men could vote.
Come on, guys - literally. My right to vote is still in its infancy. Not even a hundred years yet!

Really though has this movement gained traction? Cause last I heard there were more tweets of people against it than for it. If this is becoming a bigger thing then we have a larger problem than who's running the boat for the next 4-8 years. I don't want thrown into a ward for "obedience training" like in the not-so-distant past. Its not a fun time.

#VoteQueenie2016
GOD SAVE THE QUEEN, LONG MAY SHE REIGN, ALL HAIL THE COMMONWEALTH--GREATEST EMPIRE THE WORLD HAS EVER KNOWN!

• Love
Reactions: Darog
GOD SAVE THE QUEEN, LONG MAY SHE REIGN, ALL HAIL THE COMMONWEALTH--GREATEST EMPIRE THE WORLD HAS EVER KNOWN!
9701e49990bfef2f5512417e763f3213.jpg

And just what "civil rights" would these be? Far as I can see, one of Hillary's biggest faults is her total disrespect for the Constitution and for the Rights guaranteed to The People in the Bill of Rights. Let alone the rest of the Constitution's Amendments... she'd gladly toss the whole thing in the trash. Just like all her ilk.
No, Hillary's biggest fault is that she's one of the lizard people who live in the center of the Earth and have been trying to take over the surface for eons.

Okay, for a less silly answer, both Democrats and Republicans want to strip away various rights because they're assholes more concerned with power than what's best for the country. Trump is a special brand of asshole because he's pandering to Republicans for their support AND brings his own personal awful ideas that don't match up with the Republican stuff. However, the nonsense he could accomplish for his own personal agenda without the backing of Congress is not that big of a concern to me because it can all get fixes without much bother in 4 years when someone else boots him out of the White House (because I'm about 95% certain if he wins this time he won't win a second term). Same goes for the stuff Clinton could accomplish without Congress getting on board with her plans, and I also think she's only in for 4 years if she wins. That's why I care most about Supreme Court nominees: they will have an almost guaranteed lasting impact on the country that cannot be easily reversed.

So, let's take a look at the various rights that each candidate is likely to assault by way of appointing Supreme Court Justices who will make rulings to weaken or remove them. Your mention of the Bill of Rights and other constitutional amendments is a good way to look at it.

First Amendment: Both have said, done, or supported things that indicate possible harm done to freedom of speech and the press. Clinton would probably push for some things that can be called infringements on free exercise of religion, such as not allowing religious business owners to not pay for contraceptives through insurance plans. Trump has also spoken variously of things that discriminate based on religion, specifically Islam, and has proposed (and mostly walked back on, but still) things like closing mosques or barring Muslims from entering the country or compiling registration lists based on religious affiliations, and those are variously violate the free exercise of religion or the "Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion" bit of the text of the amendment.

Second Amendment: Hahaha, yeah, Clinton is big on the anti-guns thing, so anti-gun Supreme Court appointments would be expected.

Fourth Amendment: Both have spoken in support of surveillance measures that violate requirements for search warrants based on probable cause to search for and seize specific things, both would certainly seem primed to find judges to appoint to support this. A lot of Trump's law and order rhetoric has pushed further into this territory as well, and it's really not hard to find a hardass law and order person to throw on the Supreme Court to support it. Oh, also, those mass deportations Trump spoke of would almost require further violations of this amendment because it would require mass warrant-free surveillance to identify illegal residents.

Fifth Amendment: Trump has said he doesn't want to allow "catch and release" for illegal immigrants who are set to face removal proceedings, instead wanting them detained until they're removed. That would violate the due process clause of the Fifth Amendment, so putting any hardcore anti-immigration nominees up for the Supreme Court could lead to the reduction of due process rights (which have been long established as applying to all persons in the country, not just legal residents).

Eighth Amendment: Trump has spoken in support of waterboarding and said he doesn't think it's enough, plus he has spoken of targeting the families of ISIS fighters. This would not necessarily be unconstitutional if only performed on people who are not residents or citizens of the United States, but seeing as he has also spoken of needing to be hard on terrorists at home this is rather troubling. Oh, and this hypothetical harsh treatment and killing of domestic terrorists would also likely violate the due process clause of the Fifth Amendment. This one is not quite so much a Supreme Court concern, but it's possible he'd find judges who would be down with supporting this kind of shit.

Fourteenth Amendment: There's a ton of things I could go over with this one. Trump has spoken in favor of not granting citizenship to children born here if their parents are not legal residents, and that's a violation of Section 1. I've also heard him talk of wanting states to do things that would violate the Constitution (specifically First Amendment by suggesting they infringe religious freedom of Muslims in various ways), so that's another potential Section 1 violation. Again, all of these are positions he would potentially look for in a Supreme Court nominee, though these issues seem unlikely to come into play in such picks so they're only things to consider rather than true worries in my book. There are more serious issues that fall under this amendment though: wanting to mass deport illegal immigrants would require searches by way of racial profiling, and that's a violation of the equal protection clause of this amendment; Trump has also spoken in favor of voter ID laws that are being challenged and knocked down all over the place, and some of those successful arguments have been based on the equal protection clause because of the undue burden they place on certain segments of the population. These two issues are things that I think very well might factor into a Supreme Court appointment.

So uh, I think that should explain why I'm more concerned about potential Trump nominees shitting on the Constitution than potential Clinton nominees. They've also both got concerning positions regarding parts of the main body of the document as well, but similarly they're either both on the same bad page or it's mostly Trump as the only one with the bad position. I have all sorts of problems with Hillary Clinton, don't get me wrong, they're just severe ethical problems and violations of various statutes rather than what appears to be intent to erode the rights enumerated in the Constitution or its amendments. I could also go into details on civil rights granted by major federal statutes that each one would likely try to smash with Supreme Court picks, but I can already tell you that it will end up looking similarly weighted as the above list. The long-term damage is what I care about most in this election of awful versus terrible, so I'll go with the one that seems like they'll do less of that, and that happens to be Clinton.

Second Amendment: Hahaha, yeah, Clinton is big on the anti-guns thing, so anti-gun Supreme Court appointments would be expected.
Sorry I don't have the time to address all points, but the laugh and the severe shortness of this point, compared to your others, just stood out. So I'll refer you here:

Constitution and Second Amendment

In the above article, we have this:

"Hillary Clinton could shift the Supreme Court radically to the left. In a Washington Times article, Senator Orrin Hatch stated, "The next president's picks mean the difference between democracy and tyranny". [Donald J. Trump Press Release]
  • Under the Obama-Hillary Administration, the Internal Revenue Service (IRS) admitted to targeting hundreds of conservative organizations. Using the federal government to target and silence political opponents. [Washington Post, May 10, 2013]
  • Hillary Clinton has proven that she holds no respect for the rule of law and the Constitution of the United States. She lied to the American people and to the FBI regarding the use of her private email server and sending classified information:
    • Hillary Clinton believes that she is above the law by having a private email server set up in the basement of her home while serving as Secretary of State. She sent classified information, even during her travels overseas, jeopardizing the national security of the American people by allowing her emails to be hacked by foreign intelligence services.
    • FBI Director James Comey even stated that Secretary Clinton was "extremely careless in their handling of very sensitive, highly classified information". [FBI Statement on Hillary's Personal E-mail Server, July 4, 2016]
  • Hillary Clinton would give more authority and power to the federal government while stripping state rights. [The Hill, June 25, 2015]"
I bolded that one statement because it is important. Because it brings up this question: "Do you want someone in the office of President who is extremely carless?"

Hillary has proven over and over her unfitness for the office. No, Trump is not perfect. None of us are. But he has a heart where Hillary just has an empty void. Trump cares. While Hillary is "extremely careless". By the admission of the FBI.

As for Trump:

"Appoint justices to the United States Supreme Court who will uphold our laws and our Constitution. The replacement for Justice Scalia will be a person of similar views and principles who will uphold and defend the Constitution of the United States.
  • Defend the rule of law and the Constitution of the United States. Nobody is above the law.
  • Uphold our freedoms, constitutional values and principles that our country was founded on.
  • Protect our Constitutional liberties.
  • Protect and defend the bill of rights, including the freedom of religion, speech, press and right to bear arms."
You mention your concern about judicial appointments. I am also concerned, because Hillary will tip the balance in the liberal direction... fine if you happen to be a liberal and don't want anything to get in the way of your views. Our justice system is already biased in the liberal direction. Hillary would make it more so. I would prefer our justice system balanced. Justice Scalia was a fine and respectable person, a great Justice. No one can replace him, true, but we need a Justice who will give us balance. Someone who will respect the rule of law, and enforce what laws we already have.

What it all comes down to is: We shall see. I said the same thing back in 2008 on another forum, and just look where we are now. I don't want to continue in this direction. I want to go back, to RESTORE America, not REMAKE it. Because, to remake something, you have to destroy what came before. I don't want my country destroyed. I'm all for civil rights, but not if we do it by tearing down our former principles. Not if we tear our nation down to its Founding core, as Obama has done.

A flower can't bloom if you snip it off at its roots, then dig up its roots and throw them in the fire.

Let's forget everyone and vote for this dude.

He won't cut his hair, and if he gets in office we all get to pet tigers and lions. XD

Reactions: Jorick
Let's not vote for this "dude":

If anyone else was running against Clinton, I'd probably vote for them. I can't vote for Trump. The man is unhinged, can't stay on point, and skin so thin I'm surprised you can't see through him. I don't like any of his policies at all and I certainly don't like his rhetoric of conspiracies and hatred. I feel dumber listening to him talk, and watching him in the debates was like throwing my ten year old in with a group of NASA engineers.

The saddest part of this whole election is that this is the best this country supposedly has to offer. I don't even want to think about what the election of 2020 is going to be like....

If anyone else was running against Clinton, I'd probably vote for them. I can't vote for Trump. The man is unhinged, can't stay on point, and skin so thin I'm surprised you can't see through him. I don't like any of his policies at all and I certainly don't like his rhetoric of conspiracies and hatred. I feel dumber listening to him talk, and watching him in the debates was like throwing my ten year old in with a group of NASA engineers.

The saddest part of this whole election is that this is the best this country supposedly has to offer. I don't even want to think about what the election of 2020 is going to be like....
2020 is an ophthalmologist's year to become president.
Go Rand Paul!

Don't forget, Kayne said he was going to run in 2020 too......God help us all.

Well I know I'lol be writing in Bernie Sanders. Hillary and Trump are both such blatantly wrong choices for America. Hillary because, well, she's Hillary. All those lies and mishandling of information and everything we've all heard about. And then there's Trump. Trump personally disgusts me. I get very very very upset when discussing Trump with people. I can not see how any person can think Trump is okay. His treatment of women is terrible. All of these accusations against him, why haven't they disqualified him or something? How can we have a President who has been accused of sexual assault so many times? The way he's talked about women personally upsets me very much. Not to mention all of his policies. To be completely honest, I am terrified for myself, my family, and my country. I don't see a very positive ending in our future.

I know some people writing in Bernie too. It makes me happy that the Bern was not completely cast aside.

Don't forget, Kayne said he was going to run in 2020 too......God help us all.
I can see the chants now...

"Kanye West is Kanye Best."

"Kanye West is America's Best."

"Yo imma let you finish but Kanye the best prezzie of the US 2020."

I mean, they're seriously considering putting a lecherous reality TV personality in charge this time. So fuck knows what will happen in 2020.

Reactions: Greenie
I'm pretty sure that I lost a few brain cells reading that.
Perhaps you're not the only one:

Not to mention this:

Edit: Just finished watching this...

Last edited:
So I was inspired to look at Obama's health records since I am a forever curious being. I never thought much about it before the above post and I found this really cool website that lists the health records of all the previous Presidents, before and after Presidency(if applicable). I know there are fellow history buffs in the community so Voila! Yay resources! They even sell a t-shirts! Seems with what we know Millard Fillmore is the healthiest of the bunch. xD

I can't help but feel toxic bipartisanism is the reason we find ourselves in this mess in the first place. It feels like the majority of the election is slandering your opponents and forgiving the fuck ups of a party's leader because people have been conditioned to only support one party or another while shunning anything resembling compromise and moderate sensibilities.

I despise both Hillary and Trump.

However bad Hillary has been, however, Trump is worse. As a transwoman, I'm legitimately terrified of what the ramifications of his presidency could be for me. Imagine North Carolina, country wide. I already live in the Bible Belt and struggle every day with the prejudice, deciding in every conversation in public how much I want to present myself as LGBT and how much of a physical danger it could be to me, depending on where I am. Fortunately,since 6/26, there have been several LGBT-friendly legislative actions, and legally speaking I'm fairly defensible, even in Arkansas. But Trump could change that, and his supreme court nominee could change that for years to come. Marriage equality in this country isn't even two years old yet. I'd like to keep it just a little longer.

Hillary may be a liar, criminal, and opportunist, but Trump could create a legal environment where I have no rights to protect against discrimination, when I'm already facing prejudice every day and the eternal threat of violent crime (murder/rape rates for lesbian transwomen are about double what they are for straight, cis women).

Whenever I look at a candidate, my foremost concern is how they treat the LGBT community and whether or not they'll attempt to uphold our rights. I'm not exactly relying on Hillary for that, but she doesn't have the potential to cause the damage Trump could.

• Love
Reactions: SacredWarrior
Status
Not open for further replies.