Varius Giovanni x RangerKay

• So many newbies lately! Here is a very important PSA about one of our most vital content policies! Read it even if you are an ancient member!
The more coherent he became...the more distress he could see Rika was in. He couldn't move, but he could feel her gently stroking her hand and saying she was sorry. Then he felt her move from his side for a moment but she came right back, curling up right next to him. Rika was crying hysterically onto his chest. He wanted to...so badly...move and take her into his arms again. To hug her and to comfort her. But he couldn't...and he cursed himself for it.

=====================================================================

Despite how upset she was with everything that had happend, she could see that Rika was more upset. While Alistair tended to her nephew, she walked over to Rika. Slowly she crouched next to her and firmly but gently pulled her away from Lysander. She needed to get her away from here and help her calm down. Rika would do no good for him with how upset she was. Lydia, with an arm around her to support her, helped her into the room down the hall. Once in there she pulled her into a tight hug, reassuringly stroking her back to calm her down. Much like any mother would do to sooth a frightened child's fears....to calm them down.

"Hey...Rika....It's okay...Lysander is going to be okay..."

Rika allowed Lydia to lead her away and down the hall. She stiffened in surprise as she was pulled into a tight hug and held like the other children of her village were held. She put her hands to her eyes and leaned into the woman's chest. "W-why are y-you so nice t-to me? I c-could have k-killed your n-nephew!" She sobbed. She had never felt a parental touch like this, she would have instead been told to 'suck it up' or 'leaders don't cry'. Rika could not grasp the kindness from this woman.

"I should be on the floor right now! I told him to go find help!" She said, once again feeling anger towards Kiren.

As the red headed country girl buried her hands over face, leaning against her chest and sobbing, Lydia hugged her tighter. Rika asked her why she was so nice to her, that she could have Killed Lysander. What suprised her though was when she said that she should have been on the floor, that she told him to go get help. With that...she released her and took the young woman's face in her hands, caressing her cheeks and gently forcing her to look her in the eyes. Lydia wiped the tears away from Rika's cheeks with her thumbs and smiled softly at her.

"I would never wish that on you...and it is okay. Lysander is okay, he is alive. It isn't your fault either....my nephew has always had a weak heart. And...he had always known what needs to be done...so if this was the result, I trust he made the right judgment...and I am nice to you because you are a wonderful young woman and very talented...lots of potential. It dosn't matter where you came from, I know who your parents are. But no one else has to know, neither will anyone else know...Rika...I am going to be here for you, okay? As a Friend and a teacher..."

With that she let go and pulled her back into a reassuring hug.

Rika calmed down and stopped crying with Lydia's words. "Thank you..." She mumbled, hugging the woman tighter. "My parents never comforted me like this..." She sighed, closing her eyes.

Lydia smiled when she hugged her tighter. Her brother had married young, right out of Mage school auctually, and didn't waste anytime in starting a family. In no time at all she had a nephew to love and spoil. Her on the other hand...had a more difficult time finding that special someone...and Alistair seemed as clueless to her affections as he had always been. But Lydia couldn't help but falling head over heels for him. But in the mean time she was single and had plently of time to help her students out...in anyway she could. Then when Rika told her that her parents had never shown her this kind of comfort...she felt like she wanted to cry. Despite he fighting it...it showed in her words.

"I am so sorry for that sweetheart...it is them who are missing out. I can tell you have so much to give and if they are so blinded by thier work to not see that they don't deserve a daughter like you...."

Rika shrugged, trying to dispel her own depression. "They're busy..." She frowned, leaning backwards and out of Lydia's embrace. She jumped to her feet, gasping. "Oh man! Kiren must have told them I'm a mage." She groaned, putting a hand to her forehead. "Well...." She shook her head, smiling. "Can we go back to see Lysander?" Her voice cracked, but she quickly recovered. "I promise I won't cry."

She pondered things for a moment. "Oh, who was that mage helping him anyway?"

When Rika just dismissed her parent's lack of comfort and support as being too busy and Pulled away, Lydia frowned. No parent should ever claim to love their child and then say they are too busy to offer moral support and comfort. She just couldn't believe that they were busy enough to not offer their daughter that. The woman just wished she had a child to call her own...by the age she was now she thought that by now the family would have come along. But it wasn't as easy as her Grand Council Mage Brother made it look. The woman snapped back to attention when her fellow mage realized the boy who caused this whole mess must have told her parents she was here. Lydia would alert her brother or one of the other council mages to this and have the problem looked into on the outside. But for now...Rika just wanted to go see Lysander, promising she would not cry.The teacher stepped towards her and nodded, about to speak when Rika asked who the mage helping her nephew was. Suddenly she felt the blood rushing to her cheeks, warming them as she looked the young woman in the eyes. Her own heart skipped a beat but she tried to best to compose herself. She cleared her throat before continuing.

"Hiss N-Name is Alistair Roads...he teaches the water mages here and is the main Doctor on call...that nurse is only his assistant, his Niece auctully...anyways, he is very busy...much too busy if you ask me..."

Her blush deepening she passed by Rika and turned out of the room, ushering Rika back towards Lysander's room. All the while trying to rid her cheeks of the blush. After all...she couldn't let her dark haired love intreast see her this way.

Rika laughed, easily seeing through her. "Why haven't you told him?" She asked with a wink, following Lydia towards Lysander. She was all too familiar with the look of interest, having been an adviser to her closest friends.

She wondered how her little town was doing...how were the crops? Were the farmers alright without her assistance? She shrugged away the thoughts, knowing they would just depress her. Things had changed too swiftly for her. She put a hand up to her racing heart at the thought of her parents knowing who she was. It did not matter if she was their daughter, she would be a target, just as any other mage would be. Neither accepted in the mage world, nor in her own...what a pitiful life.

As they walked back to the room, Lydia froze in her tracks at Rika's question. Slowly she turned back towards her, swallowing the lump in her throat before she spoke in a softer tone. Her eyes lowered to the ground, her pretty lips forming a soft but loving smile as she thought of the long haired man.

"It isn't like I haven't tried...but right now, he is apprently too busy to have a woman to court. Knowing him he will run himself into the ground before he even attempts to settle down. Plus we have been good friends for many years...I just fear an announcment like that would spoil things...and then I will definitly die an Unmarried woman..." she said before laughing softly to herself.

Turning back around she slowly made her way back to the Room to see Lysander. Pushing open the door she could see that Alistair was sticking needles into the boy, treating him as he needed at the time being. Not only that but he had been moved to the infirmiry bed...the larger one in the corner. Not one of the cots set up all over the room. Lysander laid on the bed, looking exausted and very pale but breathing seemed normal. Sighing in relief, Alistair turned and stood up, disposing of the needles before pausing to look at Lydia, smiling warmly but charmingly.

"He is doing great...just give him at the very least a day or two and he will be as good as new..."

Rika's eyes traveled the whole of the nurse's room quickly. She took in Alistair's expression just as quickly and smirked. "I bet Miss Lydia would like to talk to you more about it..." She attempted to hide her mischievous smile by faking a cough and covering her mouth.

She was very tired, the poison having made her weak. She had expelled too much energy in her hysterics with Lysander's condition. She should probably get checked to make sure she was clear of the poison and danger, even if the affects were still trying to wear off. She covered her mouth with a hand as she yawned. Rika felt more like herself, if only she could figure out who that was now that she was away from her parents' strict rules and ideals.

Upon hearing her comment, and seeing her mischevious smile Alistair laughed. But Poor Lydia stood by the door frame about as red as a beat. The woman had furiously tried to hide the blush she had banished before coming back in here but it didn't work. Or at the very least as well as she had hoped. So in the next moment she turned and excused herself from the room, saying there was somewhere she needed to go suddenly. The water mage watched as she left then looked over to Rika. Speaking as he saw her yawn.

"I am sure she would...in fact she looks a bit Ill herself don't you think? Her face looked very red...definitly needs to be checked out. But But before I go...if you were poisoned then you are looking much better. But you need to take that medicene I left for you on Lysander's bedside stand. It will just help your body get rid of any remaining traces of the poison...then you both need a good rest. I will make sure the other staff knows you two are recovering so you will be excused from the days work and activities...now if you'll excuse me...I've one more patient to attend to. She has been waiting a long time..."

With that he slipped out of the room and followed the path Lydia had taken.

Rika nodded, walking over to the cot. There was a glass of water as well as a bottle of herbal pills. She sighed, taking out one of the pills and washing it down with water. "Yuck." She wrinkled her nose in disgust at the sharp bitter flavor. She winced, her sore muscles screaming in protest as she lay down on the cot, covering herself with a blanket after realizing how cold she was. She shivered then looked over at Lysander lying on his cot. She was glad that he was okay and seemed to be having no majorly ill effects from helping to heal her.

Suddenly there was a knock on the door before it opened. In walked the lean but somewhat tall woman, her blonde hair cascading down her back in shimmering waves. Her eyes locked on the figure in the bed that was her child hood friend...Lysander. She smiled softly and walked over to the bed. Sitting on the side, Lysander looked at her then closed his eyes, smiling gently as well. Nora reached forwards and caressed his cheek with her hand.

"You did it again...Lydia told me...you stupid...stupid but brave boy...I'm just glad you are okay..." she said, her voice soft but gently and affectionate, not seeing Rika tucked away in her covers.

Rika bit down on her lip, trying to stay silent and pretend she was sleeping. The thought that someone would come...she shut her eyes tight, in an attempt to prevent her mind from continuing down the path it was traveling.

He's not mine..
He could be, Rika
But, he wouldn't even want a girl like me...
How do you know? Have you asked..?
I just know...now go away!
One day, you may just regret that you never spoke your mind or did anything risky...
I don't want your thoughts!

The war waged within Rika, one side of her trying to tempt her to action. The side her parents had tried all those years to cultivate...was being brought out by one person...one person she had fallen in love with. The sweet natured girl was too afraid to let it show, knowing she was nothing compared to Nora.

He's mine, bitch!
But...he's not....

His vision was clear now, so it could see who it was who had come into the room after the brief knock. It was Nora and she looked as beautiful as she always did. It seemed she had a knack for making anything she did look graceful and visually appealing. But there was another woman on his mind who also had that talent. Well...that was what he had seem so far anyways. But she came over to him and sat on the side of his bed. Nora caressed his cheek with her hand and looked at him in a way he had never seen his childhood Companion look at him. Lysander couldn't quite place it, so when she finnished talking he spoke, aware of the Red head on the cot near himself. But he didn't know if she was awake or not so he just spoke softer, finding it much easier to do so anyways. Weakly placing and hand on his chest to Monitor his heart rate.

"Stupid...? Yes, perhaps. But She was going to Die Nora...and I would never forgive myself If I had to watch her die. There wasn't time to go fetch the nurse or Alistair. You should have seen how quickly this poison took over her...once it started to effect her. She is so Pretty...and she is going to be so talented...mark my words...one day replace my father. Couldn't let such a Beautiful face and talent go to waste...It would a crime of the most severe..."

Rika felt tears run down her face as she battled with herself. All she wanted to do was leap up and hit Nora, pulling her beautiful hair she was so jealous of. She frowned, that wasn't her...that was who her parents had expected her to be. She sniffed, closing her eyes shut. Then, she heard Lysander whispering to Nora. She could only catch a few words here or there but she heard her own name being spoken. She also heard him mention his father.

He's talking about you...because you're a coward and can't seem to defend yourself...you aren't worth him....
I thought you just said -
"you"....you say it as if we're two different people....

Rika frowned. It had to be the poison speaking....right? It could not be her thinking all those thoughts....she had never been so severe on herself. Well, except with her looks. It had to be the last traces of the poison...that was all there is to it! She closed her eyes tightly, tears running down her face.

She felt defeated, and she hadn't even begun yet.

As Lysander spoke in soft whispers to her she clung onto every word. But Jealousy began to run rampant in her body as he spoke so highly of the woman in the cot next to him. Ever since she had met him as a small child, she had wanted so despretly to be around him. To her delight, he was of noble class too so her father allowed the two to be playmates. Everyday she couldn't help but think of him...and fall in love a little bit more with the young man. But she could tell...this Girl, Rika, obviously had a special place in his heart.

"As much as I am glad your friend is okay, that you were able to help her...you need to take care of yourself...your so young and yet you have a weak heart. It isn't fair...just promise me you will okay? You make me worry too much..."

Lysander chuckled weakly and smiled warmly.

"I can't help it...besides, Rika dosn't have anyone who supports her Being here, let alone have someone to enjoy company with. I don't regret saving her at all..."

Rika couldn't hear what the other two were saying, she was too caught up in her own argument. She scooted closer down into the covers, now feeling determined to fight for Lysander. First, she knew she had to handle Kiren...and it was something she had to do herself.

She wondered how she could fight as an Earth Mage....Fire Mages had it easy. All they had to do was point their hand and shoot. She would have more difficulty, but at this time, she didn't care. She had to take Kiren out...defeat him and the words he had placed in her head about herself. She had to fight her parents, fight against what they had taught her and spoken over her life. She sniffled quietly...the tears having stopped.

"She will be just fine Lysander...there are so many people here to keep her company, so many more girls to make friends with. It dosn't all have to fall to you, you know..." she said, her voice getting softer as she spoke.

"I know...I just want to help her out. The city girls who have come so far have been rather distant and rude to her. You know what it's like to not have any friends...so do it. It's....very lonely."

Nora Sighed and nodded. She then leaned in and pressed her lips to the back of one of his hands.

"Okay, so you have a valid point, but no doing anything like this again...for a long time. I don't think I could stand loosing you..."

Rika coughed, the tears having caused her mouth to go dry. She wished Nora would go away. If she could grab another plant, perhaps she could experiment with her magic....she wanted Kiren's head.