Varius Giovanni x RangerKay

When she said she didn't need a doctor, a worried look came over his expression. There had to be some underlying reason because for a burn like that...she needed help. Eventully the fire essence would cause infection in her wound because of the opposing wavelengths. A frown came across his lips, but it was one of worry and concern.

"Rika...it is going to get infected and your going to get even sicker. It looks pretty bad right now...and it isn't going to get better on it's own. Fire and Earth Magic have different essences and so before long your body is going to reject it and make you sick...It happened to my mother when she was pregnant with my sister. A fire mage attacked her, an old boyfriend who hates my father. but she refused to get treatment. It almost killed her. I don't want to sound forceful but you need to go see the nurse...She will probably juts treat you and let you go...It won't take long but that wound worries me...not going to like."

He bit his lip and mentally kicked himself. The mage didn't have the right to force her but he didn't want to see her get sick either...

Rika's eyes went wide. "Really?" Her eyes narrowed..."Could that happen with another magic too?" She had only been sick once in her life, when the doctor had to be called. She wondered if that was also because of magic or if it was simply a fluke. She guessed it was a good thing she hadn't known how to defend herself with the fire mage, the fact she could have caused her to get sick frightened her. Even if it was a fire mage. Her hands wrung nervously and she looked first to his eyes, then down at the ground. "I don't know about seeing a nurse..." She frowned at the thought that she could be causing trouble, even unknowingly. "It hasn't even hurt...really..."

When she had asked him if it would happen with other magic as well he nodded, remembering his experience. But before he could anwser her she said that she didn't know about seeing a nurse, that it hadn't even hurt.

"Part of my magic is that I can absorb other peoples magic...drain thier reserve of magic for the time being. But one time when my aunt was raising a rare plant I accidently took all the the magic from it. I have a weak heart so when it was completely absorbed by my system I almost got a heart attack and died. Luckily the nurse was able to reverse that. I can try to just take the Fire magic but I can't promise it...either way you need to be treated...The nurse or Me..."

Rika shut her eyes, bringing her knees up to her chest. "I don't want you hurt..." She wrapped her arms around her knees, setting her chin on them as she pondered what she should do. She hated seeing a nurse, or a doctor, but she didn't want Lysander being hurt because of her.

"Would you take me there?" She whispered, fear in her voice.

Because of the mockery and taunting of her parents towards the local mage, he had given Rika the most horrid medicines, after refusing to treat the girl. Only sitting and staring with loathing in his eyes at her. He had made her suffer for days, just to watch the affect it had on her parents. She wasn't like them, she had wanted to tell him that but anytime she had begun to speak, she had erupted in a coughing fit. He would carelessly check on her, occassionally going to far as to force burning liquids down her throat that made her sick to get the fluid out of her lungs. Her parents had almost killed him, and Rika had been surprised, her parents didn't often show affection for her. THey only showed pride or shame. Pride in her work for the anti-mage council and shame with anything else.

Rika had lied in saying the burn didn't hurt. It had stung for awhile, now there was just a numbness. It had been that way all day...just...numb. She believed what Lysander said about the different wavelengths and infection setting in.

His heart throbbed in sadness as he saw her bring her knees up to her chest, saying she didn't want to hurt him. Then she brought her arms around her knees and rested her chin on them. He clenched his jaw and looked at her sadly. Something had to have happened to her perviously that made her so hesitant to go see a nurse. Silently he wondered just what is was. Lysander tilted his head to the side a bit, looking at her curiously. As he did this she spoke again asking if he would take her there, fear in the pretty country girl's voice. He smiled at her softly, nodding.

"I offered didn't I...? Come on, let's go."

He reached out and helped her to her feet. Starting to walk towards the Main school building he had almost forget he was still holding her hand. Stopping he let go and flushed a little bit as he looked back at her.

"Sorry! My bad..."

Rika could not help but blush when Lysander pulled her to her feet. He tugged her towards the Main Building, continuing to hold her hand. He let go suddenly and Rika sighed in disappointment. "You were okay." She looked down at the ground and blushed furiously. "Sorry to be so much trouble." She rubbed her now empty hands on her jeans.

The teenager couldn't control the blush, it growing brighter, as she sighed in disappointment when he had let go of her hand. The way he was raised it wasn't polite in the least to grab a woman's hand like that. Not if they were not togeather in a relationship...and they were not. They had just met after all. But at the same time...this girl standing next to him was so pretty...not that he would mind at all. He shook the thought from his mind, trying to rid the thought from his mind. What was he thinking? It wasn't right...wasn't proper! When he came back to reality she had apologized for being so much trouble and was blushing brightly. He swallowed the lump in his throat.

"Rika...your not any trouble...don't say that okay?"

He turned on his heel after offering her another reassuring smile. The main building was huge and castle like, towering high into the sky. After making his way into the wide, intricate halls, on the third floor, directly across from the stair case was the nurses office. A bit inconvient place to have it but atleast they had one. He paused and turned to her, as they stopped infront of the door.

"You ready...?"

After she gave her awnser he knocked on the door. There was some crashes around inside, several long moments passing before the door opened. Standing in the door way was a beautiful woman who was dressed in a white nurses dress. She had long blonde hair, flowing and curling down her back...also sporting clear silver colored eyes. A smile came across her face as she looked at the two.

"Mr. Buford, Come in...how can I help you?"

Lysander ushered Rika in first before he followed her in. Inside, the nurse shut the door, turning back to them. Lysander looked to Rika then the nurse.

"This is Rika...I think she would explain the situation better?"

He looked back to Rika, giving her a comforting smile as if to say: "It is okay...she won't hurt you."

Rika followed behind Lysander, gaping at the large building. She nodded when he asked if she was ready, entering the doorway first at his insistence. She smiled at his gentleman like qualities. "Well, I was attacked on my way here by a fire mage." Rika moved forward, pulling down her shirt to expose her shoulder.

"It doesn't hurt anymore." She smiled, trying to reassure herself that wasn't a bad thing. "So, this will be fast right?" She asked nervously.

The nurse blinked at her in surprise as she had explained what had happened. The poor girl had gotten attacked by a fire mage. She must have gotten on the hot headed mages nerves...or be an Earth Mage. Those two never clicked, and they never would. It was likely she would be treating these kinds of wounds all year around for the students. Even more so now since a whole batch of new mages were coming in this weekend...the classes starting monday morning. As the girl exposed her wound she walk forwards to get a closer look at it. It was swollen and infected...good thing he had brought her here. Illness would have taken her energy and left her bed bound by classes on Monday. From the looks of it, the wound wasn't inflicted by a novice magic user. It was probably someone who had a tutor before coming. Reaching out she lightly ran her fingers over the wound. It was hot to the touch as well. A small frown came across her lips but she quickly brushed it away for the worried young woman.

"Well...It looks pretty swollen....and you do have a minor infection...I'm going to have to give you a antibiotic shot or two and treatment with Water magic. They will only hurt a little...or maybe a little more if you've never been treated with water magic before...but don't worry. We will get this taken care of, take a seat dear..."

She motioned to the full sized bed pressed up into the corner as she turned to go get the needles, antibiotics, and glass of water. Quickly she prepped the needles and drank the glass of water before closing her eyes and taking a deep breathe before opening them again.

"Ready Miss. Rika...?" she smiled.

Mean while Lysander watched from the corner of the room, trying to stay out of the way.

Rika frowned. "Water Magic?" She eyed the instruments with wide eyes, sitting on the full sized bed. She stared at the nurse. "Uhhhh, no I'm not ready, thanks for asking....could we do this another time? I have my garden to get to..." having only seen the doctor once, she did not relish the thought of being treated.

"Lysander?" She squeaked, beginning to shake. "I've only been to the doc once...and he had to come to me...." She said as she looked at the nurse. She hoped this explained enough that they knew she wasn't used to this. She was trying not to act childish, but didn't know what to expect.

The earth mage frowned as she learned that the nurse would be using water magic to help treat her wound and a needles full of Antibiotics. When she was asked if she was ready, Rika just stared at the nurse with wide eyes and told her no, asking if she could do this another time. That she had to get back to her garden. Then Rika looked over at the enchantment mage standing in the corner. He came closer to her after she had squeaked his name. When he got to her side he could see her shaking. He sat down on the bed on her left side, listening to her explination that she had only seen one other doctor in her life. And from the way she was reacting it must not have been a very good experience. Lysander looked at her and held out his hand, smiling warmly.

"All the water magic is going to do is manipulate the fire essence out of your blood pooled under your wound and from your skin and muscle on the burn. It might feel like you have a really bad shoulder cramp, but it will be okay...and the shots just make sure that the infection goes away...If you don't get this treated then it will only get worse...okay? You can squeeze my hand if you want...if your afraid...the nurse is only here to make you feel better..."

With the explination out of the way the nurse approached the girl and looked at her...one of the large needles loaded and ready in her hand.

"I am ready whenever Miss. Rika, we can proceed..."

Rika nodded after Lysander's explanation, exhaling shakily. "At least your not another fire mage." She put her hand in Lysander's, squeezing gently. "Okay, I'm ready."

She looked at Lysander. "I've only been sick once before..." She blushed and looked down, ashamed of her own childishness. Her parents had even refused to take her to the doctor for her yearly exams. It was a miracle she had stayed as fit as she did, and she owed it all to the hard work she had to do for the anit-mage council. She was often the footrunner for mesages or the one to help carry wood to and from for signs and such. "The only doctor in my village is a mage..." She kicked her feet back and forth, squeezing Lysander's hand a little tighter. "So...what kind of vegetable do you like?" She said quickly, changing the subject and attempting to distract herself.

When Rika had gently squeezed his hand, he gently squeezed hers in return. The earth mage then proceeded to tell him that she had only been sick only once in all the years she had been alive. She is lucky then...thought the enchantment mage. He remembered all the times he had been to a doctor...and it all his to do with his weak heart. From the time he was little he knew there was a reason his mother never let him roughhouse with the other kids...and it wasn't because he was supposed to uphold his family name. Because of the magic was able to preform, he had to use it sparingly. As a child he would have a tendency, in his boredom, to overdue it and had several near death experiences due to it. There wasn't anything wrong with most doctors...but going to one meant you were not healthy. But then when she said that the only doctor where she was from was a mage...he could see where that might pose a problem. Rika then began kicking her feet and squeezed his hand a bit tighter asking him about the subject she was most comfortable with.

"Hmm..." he said thinking. "I like Corn, Winter Squash, Potatoes...but my faveorite are fresh Peas right out of the garden, not cooked. My father would grow them and I would eat them just as fast, right off the vine. It drove him crazy...still does. What about you...?"

Looking up the nurse carefully cleaned off her wound with a cold alcohol wipe before sticking the needle deep into her wound, a little more roughly than she had intended. After he injected her with cold antibiotics she pulled out the needle and repeted it with one more needle. When she was finnished with that she looked to Rika, preparing for the last part of the healing process.

"Well...I like carrots, sugar snap peas, green beans, and corn. For fruits, I love strawberries, watermelon, peaches, pear, and mangoes." She winced at the needle, noticing that she could feel it through the numbness. She loosened her grip on Lysander's hand and yawned.

"Thank you for being here..." She said, grateful that he was willing to do so much for her, even with her being a stranger. She pushed her hair out of her face and looked at him with her green eyes. "What kind of fruit do you enjoy?" She was now thoroughly enjoying hearing about the different foods he liked. She planned to thank him by growing a crop of his favorite fruit or vegetable. She knew it must be lonely for him to be alone like he was. That was something she completely understood.

He listened to all the different vegetables and fruits that she liked...also noticed that there was a few more he liked that she mentioned...like carrots. Then he noticed that she flinched when the nurse stuck her with the needle a bit rougher than normal. After that the girl loosened her grip on his hand, thanking him for being here. She tucked some loose hair behind her ears and looked to him with her stunning green eyes, asking him what kind of fruit he liked.

"I like Watermelon...Pineapple....apples...Peaches...but my very faveorite are pears. And you don't have to thank me for being here...it is only polite to help someone out. Plus it is nice to not be alone upon getting here. It is going to get kind of lonely but having friends around should help....what about you? Besides those snobbish girls here...you think you will like it here?"

The nurse came over to her and placed her freezing hands onto of the wound. As she began to manipulate the water, liquids flowing througth her shoulder areas including blood and blood in muscles her shoulder would begin to cramp rather painfully.

"I have my own garden...of course I'll like it here!" Rika said in excitement before wincing as her shoulder suddenly cramped. She bit her lip to keep from crying out and noticed that he liked a lot of the same fruits and vegetables that she did.

"We like similiar things. Which would you like to eat?" Rika asked, her eyes slightly glazing over from the pain. She stared at him, waiting for a response.

Once she said, in an excited tone, that having her own garden would make it all worth it here, he couldn't help but smile. It was odd to him, that something as simple as some seeds and dirt could make her happy. He had grown up around a lot of girls, city girls, who expected fancy and fine things. But at the same time he knew where she was coming from since his father and his aunt were the same way. Besides his family and job, his father's garden came next in importance. Rika then bit her lip and he looked over, he seeing that her muscles in her shoulder were cramped up as the Nurse worked the fire essence out of it. He could feel it...the fire essence and his body cried out for him to absorb it but he ignored it. But somehow this particular essence felt familiar...but he couldn't place it. Lysander looked back to her eyes when she asked him what he wanted to eat. The young man looked at her confused before speaking.

"What would I like to eat? Hmm...well I'm going to take a gander and guess fruits grow better when it is much warmer out than it is now...I'd say some Fresh Vegetables...whatever grows best this time of year....except for any sort of Beans. Not too fond of them..."

Once he saw her eyes glaze over from the pain she must be experiencing, he squeezed her hand a bit more firmly but still gentle at the same time.

"You don't like beans? What about green beans?" Rika asked...interested that someone could not like beans. He mentioned enjoying peas, maybe Lysander enjoyed them as much as she did. She would occasionally skip helping out with the anti-mage coucnil to help harvest crops for a local farmer. She was well known and generally liked in her town, but because of her parentage she had very few people that would allow her on their property. Sometimes a local farmer would take pity on her, offering her a job to help harvest in return for a share of the crop.

He shook his head at her question, giving a slight sour face.

"Growing up My father would grow things for the small town we lived in and sell them for a small profit. He would grow a ton of every varity of Fruits and Vegetables, most just to help people out. Mostly everything he earned went to just buying seeds for the next harvest of varities that he ran out of seed for. But one of the crops he grew the most were beans. Once he sold everything he could he brought back half of what he had left and we would eat it. So my mother cooked a lot of them so say the least...Can't stand them anymore..." he said with a definite note. "But anything else I'd be open to try if I havn't had it before...good luck though because my father can literally grow anything."

A soft chuckle escaped his lips.

"Hmmm...well I've had some ideas for some hybrids." Rika grinned. "I can't wait to get my class schedule, do you think we'll have many classes together?" She gently squeezed his hand, looking down at her lap. She was excited at being at the school, but also scared to take classes where she didn't know people.