Status
Not open for further replies.
Lost in Space Epilogue

v312G5x.png

8ChR21F.png

GK7l86o.png

Within the engineering bay of the SSV Normandy -- a technological marvel brought about by the collaboration of both Humanity and the Turian Hierarchy -- rested another marvel. Large and sleek in design, its frame supported aloft with powerful all terrain tires and rugged suspension coupled with low gravity boosters. Its namesake taken after the chondrichthyan, the Mako was a favored vehicle in situations that called for the need of a capable fighting unit.

There were a scarce few within the engineering bay and the presence of one of the few would be made known. Soft muttering could be heard, with the clicking of mandibles, as the view would pan toward and around the vehicle. A turian in his iconic navy blue hardsuit was tending to this very Mako, one of its few maintenance panels shunted open for his perusal. "They hadn't taken the time to calibrate the fire support systems, figures they neglected the maintenance systems too." Beeping followed, as a translucent construct of neon orange formed around his left wrist, buttons depressed as algorithms and programs were activated to aid in the system's calibration.

A sharp snort erupted behind the turian, prompting the stern reaction with his facial features akin to a brow raised. "You're like a little boy playing with his toy, Garrus. I've watched you tinker away at that thing for over an hour." Interjected Urdnot Wrex, the once and future king leader of the Krogan, his tone tinted with amusement. His arms were crossed as he rested his back against one of the many lockers in the bay, eyes glaring naturally with challenge.

"Yes, well. Wouldn't you prefer to have your equipment in the best condition possible, Wrex?" Garrus inquired, turning back meanwhile to continue his extensive calibrations. "I realize humans are content to go it with what they have in the condition it came in. Not us Turians. Besides... this might mean the difference in battle."

Wrex was silent for a few moments, eyes slitting now as he took Garrus's words into consideration... and shook his head. "You're just bored."

"Yes, yes I am."

Elsewhere...

"Oooooooh!" She leaned right in, studying the fluctuating portal before her. "A hole in space and time! Personal use of a translight engine? The ability to tap into slipstream space at will?! That's...that's AAAAA-MAAAAA-ZIIIIIING!" Doctor Emily Grey damn nearly climaxed at the very thought. "Oh this could revolutionize space travel! No need for cumbersome ships when you have it down to personal transport on a whim! If only Tobias Fleming Shaw and Wallace Fujikawa could be here to see this! Eat your heart out, Star Trek!" She paused, contemplating the portal...before she stuck a finger slooooooowly through, just to see. When no pain struck, her whole arm followed calmly. And eventually her head, peering out to the other side of the portal.

"It's..."

jBHQVtm.jpg

"...a mechanical piranha?" She blinked, looking up. Well, down. "Uh-oh."

dKPccWM.png

"Audio Log 98045761: This is Doctor Emily Grey. Gravity sucks."

Vakarian had taken a step back, arms crossed as he stared over his handiwork with the Mako. Pride swelled within his chest, a nod following as he remarked aloud. "A good day's work. Perhaps the Commander'll notice the improved performance."

Wrex chirruped from behind, once again amused. "I don't think Shepard's going to notice, in the middle of a gunfight, to compliment you a well job done."

The turian groaned, his posture going rigid as he swiveled to face the dour Krogan with choice words in retaliation to his incessant heckling. That was until a portal of iridescent shades of blue and white ripped itself within the continuum of space and time right within the engineering bay.

This was Garrus Vakarian's utterly baffled expression when he'd witnessed the portal opening before him.

wpLK8tU.png

"What in the--"

Urdot Wrex had a completely different reaction altogether to the random occurrence, a terrifying grin gracing the scarred features of his face as he hefted his unwieldy mass forward. In his hands, with alarming speed, was his trusty shotgun.

NBmqXpG.jpg

"Oh good. I was bored to tears and here you come along. I don't know where you came from -- really I don't care -- or how you managed that but..." A cacophonous crank came from Wrex's direction, the cocking of his weapon. "I won't say no to target practice."

This prompted a protest from Garrus. "No no, I don't think she means us harm. Did you see what happened? She fell out in that haphazard fashion, I don't think this is a pre-meditated invasion Wrex. As much as you'd like it to be. More importantly..." The omni-tool whirled to life, working at full speed as Garrus cataloged every iota of data revolving around the surge of energy rippling in their immediate vicinity. "I don't think that was anything remotely related to mass effect fields. This is an unprecedented event!"

"What the hell is going on here?!" The Requisitions Officer cried aloud, rounding the Mako with confusion and fear plastered across his features.

"Don't worry, we've got this covered." ... "More like I got this covered while he figures it out." Wrex levied the shotgun closer to Emily Grey, prompting her response with a gruff query. "Who are you and why should I not shoot you?"

The little lady had better thank her stars for Garrus Vakarian's timely intervention.

"Ummmmmmmmm..." She squeaked, her gleeful curiosity at the miracle of science evaporating, replaced by a cold fear of the alien(mutated reptile?) with the shotgun. "Well I'm Doctor Emily Grey of the Federal Army of Chorus with an I.Q. of 240 and a degree in medicine and knowledge in biochemistry, archaeology, psychology, cryptography advanced alien weaponry and more! For example the weapon you currently are aiming at me(o.e), I can tell from a glance is a shotgun. A single round clip with a total of 8 clips. A kinetic dampening system is in place(nifty) which I can only assume comes from a ridiculous amount of recoil kickback which leads one to also assume that the amount of damage is above and beyond lethal by miles. At close range. Which I am at. Thus it is with the utmost of pleases that I ask you do not shoot me!!!"

The Krogan just stared. Almost as if he was dumbstruck by the response he'd gotten from Grey. Normally, most'd have pissed their pants at the very sight of a Krogan Battlemaster bearing over them. More so when he was decked out in a heavy-duty battlesuit armed with an assault shotgun.

"I didn't ask for your life-story." Wrex retorted, keeping the weapon leveled for Emily's cranium. Before he relented, pulling it away as Garrus approached her with an easy air. Much easier than his Krogan compatriot's in any case. "Hello, Dr. Grey. I am Garrus Vakarian. Sorry about that. You should understand, you came aboard a classified vessel crewed by special forces in an ... unique fashion. We only reacted in that way because it's an unprecedented event." Though Garrus hesitated for a moment in his wording, sorting through what little he knew of Humanity. "You come in peace, yes?"

Wrex chuckled off to the side, finding the Turian to be far more amusing than usual. "Good cop, bad cop. We oughta do this more often turian."

Garrus just blatantly ignored Wrex's quip, moving onto his next query regardless of her answer. "The means by which you arrived here; could you explain the rift you came through? Where did you come from?"

"That wasn't my life story though?" was all she got out before the reptile alien thing pulled back and she exhaled in utter relief. "Yes, I come in peace and no I can't really explain how I came to be here exactly, I was not able to study the rip in spacetime in sufficient detail, nor did I know this would be the place I ended up in. HOWEVER!" She stood up on her feet, taking it all in.

"I can say I came from a stranger place. It was far removed from my home, filled with zombies and beasties and strange critters to the brim! Things I would have liked to study but all I got were small samples! I'd bring them out to show you but they are decontamination protocols that would have to be followed before such. And I am still unsure as to where I am soooooooooo." She leaned in real close.

"Where is here?"

The Krogan's response came in the form of silent staring, reptilian eyes staring into Grey. "Sounds like she's taken one too many drugs for her own good. Hard story to believe. Could just be delaying for some reason--"

"The portal tearing apart the space-time continuum is hard to believe though? I know what I saw and you do as well. Besides, she's alone and..." A curious glance down the way where the portal once had been. "It's not there anymore. It's not fair to imply what I think you're implying anyway."

"Is it?"

Garrus blatantly ignored the attempted rebuttal, following his words with the answer to Grey's question. "We are in the Attican Beta system, making our way for Feros. Does this help you get a bearing of your whereabouts?"

"Hmph." The turian had the gall to ignore Wrex, something that he could respect but did not condone all too well. Of course though, he wasn't the superior officer or the like so a remonstration was out of the question. For now, the Krogan resigned himself to leaning back once more against the lockers, keen eyes levied over the others in a close watch.

"I'm not part of an invasion if that's what you're itching for. I would just as rather stay on my own world, but I'm here. And...nooooooo not really." She breathed out in reply to being in the Attican Beta system heading for Feros. "I've never heard of either of these."

"Maybe this'll help move things along a bit faster. I say this because there's nothing about a Dr. Emily Grey in the public records. What is your world?"

"A small world, one of the last colonized planets before the Great War erupted. It's on the very edge of colonized human space. Tiny as said, but it was of value thanks to a large number of alien artifacts on the planet. However, because of the Great War, our colony was forgotten by the galaxy at large. That left us to govern ourselves...or tried to. Eventually this too led to war, a civil war. I was plucked from my world and I ended up where I told you and then eventually...here. Perhaps multiverse theory. The world I hail from, my world...is Chorus."

"She's a dramatic one isn't she?" Remarked the seemingly ornery Krogan, who'd taken to brushing off some invisible debris off the shoulder pauldron of his battlesuit. He'd clearly lost interest.

"Unfortunate, that does not exist in my records either. Chorus, that is." Garrus replied with speedy haste, the omni-tool working incredibly quickly. There was uncertainty in his tone but sympathy underlined it just as well. "Maybe an error in the databanks, who knows. You mentioned a multiverse theory?" Garrus idly inquired as he rechecked, just to be sure.

"Don't tell me you possibly buy into it? Who knows, she might have been sniffing some eezo and messin' with mass effect tech."

"It wasn't perpetrated by mass effect fields, this is something new."

"Huh, you're serious. Thought you were just entertaining the thought earlier."

Cue the return of Wrex's interest, intrigued by the turn of events. Though his seemingly crotchety exterior didn't exactly belie a friendly interest.

"Not true!" She defended with a shrill cry. "I'll have you know I was never in drama class, I am a scientist though I mean if I tried my hand at acting I might be good at that. Thanks for the advice...er...Wrex, right?" She questioned, turning back to Garrus after.

"I theorize as much. You have no record of Chorus, which would be about par for the course back home...however, I get the feeling if I asked you what the UNSC was, you'd be drawing a blank, Mister Vakarian. Just as I am with the two alien species you are. I overheard turian but that name means nothing to me as of now. Further you should have seen the awesome collection of people I met in the last strange place I was in! If it's not a multiverse than what else could it be?!" She held her hands out entreatingly as if awaiting an answer.

"...Eezo? Mass effect tech? Fields? Care to fill a curious traveler in?"

qUs7SnX.jpg

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

Wrex just mutters to himself briefly before deigning to reply. "Yeah, that's my name. What's it to you?"

"Well ... I was going to suggest the impossible." Garrus paused as if it were for a dramatic effect. "That maybe you hailed from beyond the dark space. But there are no records of human expeditions that far out let alone beyond and contact from another galaxy's unfeasible as far as that goes. As much as it's plausible."

0fnT1S0.gif

"You're buying into it."

"Either that or I condemn our guest as someone who's gone to lunch. Mentally."

"Funny, I thought that from the start."

Clanging followed, the source of the noise the resultant of Wrex's hump brushing against the lockers. Garrus peeled his eyes from the omni-tool, glancing side-long to ascertain his compatriot's mood.

"Besides." Garrus returned his gaze to Emily's direction. "You've been nothing but cooperative despite your unique entrance and fairly forthcoming with your information. It seems like you're telling the truth, even if it may not align with what we know. I also took the liberty of scanning you and found trace minerals that're unfamiliar. The point I'm making is the evidence I'm slowly collecting seems to point that you're literally not of this world. Er, I should say this galaxy but maybe, just maybe, it's actually the universe."

"Things were simpler when they involved only gunfights." Further grumbling from the Krogan.

"And to answer your question: eezo and mass effect fields are what comprises the basis, the core concept of our technology. I don't exactly feel right at home sharing the intricate details of our collective technology but the general gist should suffice. It just doesn't fit with the portal you stepped through, the telemetry and all."

"I find it is always nice to know the names of those you have the pleasure of conversing with andwillsoonbestudyingintentlywithgreatenthusiasm!"

"Ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh...nope! Dark space colonies are unheard of, so even if they did exist, people would have no precedent for surviving in one."

"Oh, I am famished! What kind of meals do this place have?"

"That's what I've been saying!!!"

"Ooh, I see. Are those the power sources for the orange tinted holographic interface computer miniframe sensor analysis pack flashlight tool?"

Prognosis: Doctor Grey's motor mouth replies were in effect.

Maybe it seemed like Wrex heard the somewhat muted muttering, his response coming in his customary gruff fashion: "What did you just say?"

"That I like meeting new people!"

"Right." Wrex replied, skeptical of Grey still.

"I should inform the Commander; honestly that should have been the very first thing we did but nature of the first contact demands capitalizing on the initiative. I'll see if the Requisitions officer will retrieve a rations meal."

"Yeah, Shepard's probably not going to take kindly to this. At first."

"At least we handled it."

"I overheard the whole commotion and I ain't sorry, you never know what's going to happen. A man in my position rarely gets to see things; only you folks and your Commander pester me for my wares. Even then you're thankless customers, muttering under your breath how poor the quality of my wares are. It's a tough job I'll have you kno-- I'll get the rations."

krogan.gif

A growl had interrupted the Requisitions officer's tirade, the source being the only Krogan in the room standing tall with a fierce gaze, his primal orbs projecting sheer intensity that it penetrated through the man.

"He's sorry, alright. A sorry example for someone in his position." Wrex sniffed.

"And that's why we keep a Krogan around." Garrus quipped, glancing to Grey and nodding amicably. "Yes, yes you may be right. There is one way I can confirm this in its entirety but it's arguably invasive. We can get to it later."

"Ah, the Asari."

"Yes, Dr. Liara T'soni. Shepard doesn't like to act on 'maybes' and 'possibly'."

"The little lady has another science question, Garrus."

"Regenerative power cells in our hard-suits runs all on-board systems." Garrus rattled off another reply as he focused intensely on communicating a message to Commander Shepard and Liara. "Done."

"Where's the food?"

Almost as if on cue, the officer returned with haste, apology lining the features of his face, as he handed a small bundle to Grey. Military rations, reserved for emergencies.

"Good boy." To Garrus-- "I don't know why you won't let her dine upon the fine, exquisite cooking of our gallery master."

"It's a Tuesday."

"... Right, don't wanna poison our guest."

"Ohhhhhh he's a kro-gan. Krogun. Krogaaaaaaaan. Cool. Biped reptilian alien creatures, with a rough attitude and a berserker like presence in the room. Sweet. So a Krogan, a Turian, humans...I wonder what else kind of aliens are here. Do either of you know what a Sangheili is? Or maybe even a--" She blinked.

"...Asari? Huh? What does that mean--oh yes the food good good. Much better than the fungi I made out of local vegetation--eeeeeeeek. Poison?" She questioned, shooting glances rapidly between Garrus and Wrex. "That bad?"

Then he chuckled, cuz the description she made was more or less spot on. For the other members of his species. Though for Wrex, while he was certainly volatile, he was more or less a unique example of a Krogan.

"Sanghelli? Not, not at all. Databanks return nothing either. So the evidence continues to mount."

"The Asari are another bunch of aliens. You'll find out later, I've got a feelin' you'll like it." Wrex replied succinctly.

"Let's just say our gallery master has a habit of experimenting with his recipes."

"Can't hold your food like how you hold ryncol."

"Fair enough. And yes, just further reasoning to believe me, I swear! Honesty is my creed, I promise. Also I'll make sure to avoid potentially hazardous foods unless it's for test subjects or little experiments. Soooooooooooooo." She blinked, perching her chin on her hand and staring at Garrus, who thus far had proven to be the more reasonable and forthcoming of the pair.

"Military rations, arms and armor, a Commander...obviously a military vessel. Not strict standards since no need to ask for permission to speak or salutes or what have you. Am I to take it then that this is a special outfit?"

"Most foods here're fine. If you stick around, for whatever reason, avoid eating in the gallery on Tuesdays I guess." He stared at Grey and went completely quiet, still distrusting of her at this point. Hell, he still kept the Commander at an arm's length too.

"I'd mentioned this vessel was crewed by special forces. For example, I was more or less a cop at one point. Wrex here is a mercenary. The majority of the crew here belong to the humans, the Alliance." He answered, arms crossing now as the omni-tool disappeared. "I hope you realize my being forthcoming in this information is to foster goodwill between the two parties, as Commander Shepard's temporary intermediary."

"What, you learned that sort of diplomatic talk in C-Sec?" Wrex piped up, not missing the opportunity to prod at the Turian.

"You are aboard the SSV Normandy and you know our heading. From what I've observed, quietly so, your intellect matches the level of I.Q. you mentioned earlier. You've figured out the omni-tool more or less just from a glance. You're a scientist, an honest one, though maybe too excitable for the profession."

Lord knows Garrus hasn't met a certain Salarian yet.

"Oh, I see where this is going. You're thinking Shepard's going to adopt another puppy."

"Well, if everything checks out? Genuinely checks out?" He looked to Grey once more. "Shepard's probably going to want to keep you around. Because who knows what'd happen if we handed you over to the Alliance or the Council."

"Yeah, I can't argue with you. As much as I'd like to. Too bubbly and excitable for my taste but ... thanks to the Turian here, I can't really hold anything against you. Yet. Good thing too, you'd be red mist and paste if he hadn't been here. Who knows what we'd have missed out on."

"Rule of thumb for you, Miss Grey? You're not exactly going to have free reign in experimenting upon-- well-- anything. There are strict regulations and the like."

"Another one: stay on my and Shepard's good side and you oughta be fine in general."

"... That too."

Oh yes, you did. Derrrrr. Special forces crew. A ex-space cop aboard. A...mercenary." She repeated the word with a certain distaste, eyeing the krogan Wrex. Not so much with a hardened glare but definitely a more cool and wary look. He was gruff and had a bit of the shoot first, ask later personality...but didn't seem like an unrepentant amoral psychopath or a cold emotionless machine. Not like them.

rv6mEI4.jpg

"SSV Normandy, crewed by special forces. Alliance standard, with special operatives from various alien races that are literally alien to me. And yeah, guilty as charged. I like science and I like fun, who doesn't? And ah...a Council. Head people in the galaxy? And okay okay, I'm a military doc myself!" She thumbed at herself. "I get regulations. And will do!"

And the adventure continued from there. P.S. Doc Grey had a real blast saving Shepard's life and rebuilding him stronger than ever.

P.P.S. Much appreciation to @-I-n-d-o-l-e-n-t- for the help.

@Atomyk

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.