The Trouble with Duty.

• Thread starter Eve lilith Angelson
  • Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
Aura smiled "Thats why you understand, Thank you for sharing that with me I understand how hard it is to talk about that kind of thing."
Aura was happy he had opened up to her and she was happy to have told him too. Its not often you find other who have done nearly the same as you.

"Can I ask one question......did you use your illusions?" Aura had used her ability but she would of done it even without it.

Mist gave a small nod. "Yes, I did," he said. "It was the first time I really lost control of an illusion I'd made. Not to say it was an accident," he added quickly. "I meant to kill her. I just...hadn't anticipated it going the way it did, at the time..." He hesitated a moment, then told her, "I know that if that death had come up in my trial, I might not have been convicted of murder for it. It was a bit of a spur-of-the-moment thing... She was..."

He stopped there, looking uncertain. Then he continued, "My relationship with her was very strained. I hated her, but I also loved her. She was my mother, but..." This was the first time he'd talked about her, and he was having trouble finding the right words. "She hated me. She hated my abilities. And, well..." A pause. "The night I killed her, she'd tried to make it so I couldn't make an illusion again." He indicated his right eye--the red one. He hadn't told Aura it was glass, yes, but from the context, she would probably get the hint. His mother had tried to blind him, and he'd killed her to save himself from a fate that, to him, would have been worse than death.

Aura looked at his right eye as he indicated to it "I always thought that was part and parcel of your ability, I can't believe she tried to blind you thats horrid at least my parents just left me, I was 3 when they started to notice that when i cried or got upset i would end up being in the eye of a storm literally, I made a real mess of the house on more than one occasion" she said the last with a smile as she recalled the hurricane running havoc through her bed room it had only been small but then again so was she at the time.

"By the time i was nearly 5 she couldn't deal with me I had learnt that i could do things that no one could and as like any child i use to see how far i could go, the last straw for my mum was when i lifted my self to the roof and just jumped, that was when my mum took me and left me outside a home for unwanted children. My father had left before she knew she was pregnant."

Aura couldn't believe how easy it was to talk to Mist.

"My mother was a teenager when she got pregnant with me," Mist said, finding it also easy to talk to Aura. Perhaps because she'd opened up to him about her childhood. "My father left her shortly after I was born. I was already making illusions, even then. I'd scared him off, apparently."

He shrugged. "My mother never cared for me. I probably would have died if not for my grandparents. My mother had still been living in their home, and they took care of me. But my mother took me and moved out when I was three. I had to take care of myself from then on, since my mother certainly didn't do anything for me." He scoffed. "She was too busy sleeping around with any guy who wanted to fuck her. She went through many boyfriends, and she always blamed me whenever they left her."

Aura listened to Mist as he spoke he really has had it bad she thought "Yeah my mum didn't care for me one of the people from next door use to come and make sure I had food when I was really little, but she died when I was 2, I have scars from her where she burnt me with hot water and......."

Aura didn't know if she should continue how much did she want him to know. Well you have started so you may as well keep going her brain said to her. Taking a deep breath she continued "She burnt me with a iron, she couldn't understand how I had powers when it had only ever been males who got them not females she had hoped that if she hurt me enough they would just go away."

"My mother sometimes tried to beat the illusions out of me," Mist stated. "Obviously she didn't succeed." He wondered how Aura had managed to get into the life of a hero rather than being a villain like him. Sure she'd said it had been a close call, but why had she kept straight? How? For Mist, he'd seen no other option. He'd been nine. He'd just killed his mother. What else could he have done?

He felt like they'd discussed enough grim stuff for the morning. If they kept this up, they'd probably end up drinking again.

"Do you have anything planned for today?" he asked, changing the subject.

Aura was happy to change the subject "No we have nothing planed for the day when you come out you get two whole days before you have to start anything to intense so we have the day together, as I'am not allowed to leave you on your own" She said the last with a shrug and slight smile of apology.

"Why did you have something in mind that you would like to do?" Aura was happy to let him pick something as she knew the next few days would be tough on him with meetings and such like she may try to get him out of them if it's what he wants but that can wait until later.

Mist shook his head. "Nothing in mind," he said. "I just wanted to know if you did." He'd be perfectly content just relaxing and enjoying his freedom. It was nice to have a moment when he didn't have to be afraid. He felt that with Aura, he was safe. That was such an odd feeling, but it was there.

"Ok then as its a nice day do you want to sit in the garden? I have a fair few books upstairs if you would like something to read?" Now Aura knew Mist better she felt safer with him she had even let go to a degree on what had happened after noticing she could say Aden's name with out breaking down funny how the child who killed him is now the man whos helped me to come to terms with his passing she thought as she stood up to clean away the dishes from breakfast.

"You know what Mist this may just work." She said with a smile as she picked up his plate.

For his own sake, Mist sure hoped this would work out. He couldn't go back to prison. At least he felt fairly certain Aura wouldn't betray him. After what they'd just shared, Aura would have to be very cruel to send him back there.

He shook his head at the idea of going outside. "I'd rather stay in," he said. He'd never really been a fan of the great outdoors. With his pale skin, he burned very easily. So he'd always preferred to be inside. Besides, air conditioning was a godsend.

Aura smiled she liked being outside but that was her element that helped there "We can stay inside if that is what you want" she said as she started to wash up. "Go and help yourself to whatever you want and don't forget you do have a room here for when and if you wish to be alone" Aura knew what it was like sometimes you just needed your own space and she was fine with that.

Aura was more then happy to do the cleaning and now Mist was up she put her music on without the headphones and started to wiggle and sing with the music but carried on doing what she was doing this time.

Mist stayed downstairs for a little while and just listened to Aura sing. She really was good. He thought she could make a living doing that if she wanted to. Again, he recalled hiding and listening to her sing when they were still enemies. But what were they now, really? Not enemies, perhaps, but what did Aura see him as? Surely not a friend. Not after their history...

He stood and went upstairs to spend a little time in his room. His intention was to get a little more sleep. It was nice to have that luxury now, and he intended to take full advantage of it. For now, at least.

Once Aura had finished with the washing up she noticed Mist had gone so she walked in to the front room to see if he was there, must be upstairs she thought to herself not sure if she should go and check or trust him, what was happening between them I really didn't look at him as an enemy any more but could we really become friends she didn't know what to think and she had done to much of that already.

Aura decided to trust Mist and she stayed down stairs and put a film on not that she was really paying much attention to it she was to busy thinking of Mist and what they were to each other now.

Mist crawled into his bed, enjoying how much more comfortable it was than the cots in prison. He buried his face in a pillow, and he felt his clothes illusion vanish. At least he was wearing real underwear.

He fell asleep before too long, needing to catch up on much missed rest.

Aura never even realised how tired she really was as she was watching the film, not knowing if it was the fact so many emotions were running through her body or if it just was due to the fact she had had very little sleep even before she had bought Mist to stay with her.

As she laid her head on the arm of the sofa her eyes started to feel heavy I really should check on Mist and see if his ok was the last thought before the darkness took hold of her and she feel into a deep sleep of her own. With thoughts of Mist Aden and her and of her childhood running through her mind.

Mist slept for a handful of hours, his rest oddly peaceful after opening up to Aura about his childhood. He wasn't ready to talk about what he'd gone through in prison, and perhaps he never would be. But it had felt somewhat good to talk to Aura. She had opened up to him as well, and he felt like he knew her better than he'd known anyone else before in his life. Strange, considering how they used to be enemies.

After waking up, he relaxed on the bed for a while longer. He placed an illusion on the ceiling, though it wasn't a starry sky this time. It was a cloudy sky, and he was entertaining himself by picking out shapes in the clouds. Ones that he couldn't quite say were intentionally put there or not. He was letting the illusion do as it pleased.

Aura's dream took a turn for the worse. To begin with she had been dreaming of one of her fights with Mist on a roof top not far from where she lived now but then as her dream Mist started to walk towards her he changed into her foster father with his brass buckle belt in one hand and the knife in his other "come here cutie let me show you what your type are for" he said with an evil smirk on his face.

Aura tried in vain to move away in her dream even telling herself it was not real but she couldn't wake up. Air being one with Aura knew the moment her dream had turned and tried to sooth her but nothing it done worked, picking up speed it swarmed around her to protect her as it had so many times before but as it got faster it got louder and bigger. If Aura didn't wake up soon her house could be ruined but she was took stuck in her dream and her dream self had frozen as her step father took his belt to her.

Air didn't really have a mind of it's own but it moved unseen up the stairs to Mist's room and opened the door of the room he was staying in.

Mist noticed the air opening the door of his room, which confused him a bit. Aura wasn't there, so why was the air seeming to come to get him? He stood and headed downstairs, making another illusion of clothing for himself. Going downstairs in his underwear didn't sound appealing to him in the least.

He saw immediately that Aura was asleep, and that she was having a nightmare. Her powers were going haywire, and he immediately feared for his own well-being. He tensed, trying to think of what he could do for Aura without risking himself. But his options were limited, since her swirling air would affect any solid illusions. He had to go to her in person.

After taking a steadying breath, he started to carefully approach Aura. He made some vines to help keep him rooted to the floor, not wanting to be knocked around by the wind. It was still hard--very hard--but he managed to reach her. At least things were a little quieter in the eye of that mini-storm.

"Aura, wake up," he said, hesitating a moment before grabbing her shoulders to shake them. "Please. You need to get control of yourself..."

Aura sat up as the tears fell from her eyes she saw Air causing havoc like it hadn't in years, as she looked over to Mist she wasn't sure if she was awake or not it had been him who had turned into her abuser in her dream after all. But with a few deep breaths she calmed herself to a degree, at least the storm had calmed down to a manageable storm that was going around the two of them.If anyone saw through the house they wouldn't see Mist and Aura in the middle.

Blinking she could feel the sweat dripping from body "Mist is that you?" she said rather shakily she still wasn't sure and air was ready this time if it was her foster father coming for her again.

In a move that completely baffled Mist, he found himself pulling Aura into a hug to help her calm down. It took him a few moments to even realize that he'd done it, but he didn't pull away. He'd never hugged someone before, and now that he was, he didn't really want to let go.

"It's me," he answered quietly. "You're safe."

Status
Not open for further replies.