The Trouble with Duty.

• Thread starter Eve lilith Angelson
  • Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
Aura had heard what Mist had said and as she smiled the wind that was spinning around her calmed to a light breeze wrapping its ever loving arms around her body. As her eyes went from storm grey back to a hazel as she calmed her nervous knowing they would eventually go back to the chocolate brown she took a deep breath and looked at Mist.

"Very funny, I'am sure I have said that to you in less than 24 hours, but have no worry's my Demons are safe away I will be fine." As she spoke she thought maybe I should talk about my past with him it may make him open up to me. But the only person I have ever felt comfortable about talking to about my past is no longer here and can I really tell Mist any of it, or would he just do what every doctor and therapist had done and just look at her me a caged animal in need of pity. Having no idea what to do she gave him a bit of information but nothing to bad.

"I never knew my real parents and i had a pretty hard time being the only one in foster care" She couldn't look Mist directly in the face her guilt would show in her eyes she blamed herself for everything even if people told her it wasn't her fault she couldn't help but blame herself.

Instead of showing any kind of pity for Aura having been in foster care, Mist admitted, "I wish I had been put in foster care." He envied Aura for that, and he imagined his childhood would have been far better if he'd been in foster care, too.

Aura couldn't help but laugh "Really trust me you didn't, it's not a place for anyone who is even slightly different from the norm, let alone like us" another shudder went down her back and she could feel the goosebumps on her body.

Remembering her first home where they made her sleep outside just incase she couldn't control her element she had been 5 years old at the time, that had been one of the easiest things to deal with. Looking up at Mist she smiled "I was very nearly on your side a few years ago" she said as she remembered the first few years of stealing and taking whatever she wanted.

"My home wasn't a place for any child," Mist contested. "I would have preferred foster care. Greatly."

He knew it would have been hard, but he felt sure his childhood had been harder. At least he had a great deal of control over his environment with his illusion abilities. They were subtle, when he wished them to be. People need not even know he was casting one, though his left eye usually turned a slight silvery hue when he did.

"Maybe you would of done better in one then I ever could, but I wouldn't wish that on anyone" Aura had tried to run away from all of her foster homes at every chance she got she would flee only to be bought back and have more trouble then before every home got worse as she got older. "I wish they had just left me alone I would of prefered to be on my own then anywhere near any of them."

Aura looked up to see the food almost done "well I'am sure we can swap stories at some point but I think the food is almost ready." she said with a slight smile but her mind wasn't really on the food it was else where wondering how much she could tell him before he pitted her or just laughed.

"You and me both," Mist agreed softly, looking down at the bacon. He made sure it was cooked enough before moving it to two plates. The rest of the food was also done, and he shifted it onto plates as well.

He didn't suspect that foster care had really been so horrible for Aura. The idea of it had always sounded like some kind of salvation to Mist when he'd been a small child. But unfortunately, he'd been stuck at his own home.

Aura smiled and grabbed one of the plates of food "Thanks for that its strange I haven't had any one cook for me in years" maybe Mist and I are more alike than I ever realized she thought as she started to eat.

"Wow this is really good Mist" she said between mouthfuls. She knew they where going to have to talk at some point about there past's but it was hard for her to do so without thinking of Aden and to talk to Mist about it just seemed strange.

"Thank you," Mist replied, though he still didn't smile. He hadn't smiled at all since Aura had picked him up from prison, and it was pretty obvious that he hadn't smiled there, either. It really seemed like he'd forgotten how to do it.

He ate his plate of food in silence, giving Aura ample opportunity to keep talking if she wished to. The floor was hers.

Aura looked up from her plate "So how old were you when you left hope to be on your own?" She wanted to get to know Mist better what with him living with her she needed to know what she needed to be careful of she had seen his illusions go horribly wrong and she knew she was strong and her element could be deadly if she so wanted it but she didn't want to hurt him he had been hurt enough already.

"Nine," Mist answered, his voice a little quieter than usual. He finished the rest of the food on his plate before setting it aside. By all rights, he shouldn't have been on his own at that early age. But he was, and it was no wonder he'd turned to a life of crime. He'd had to take care of himself somehow, after all.

Aura had finished her food and moved her plate out of the way so she could put her elbows on the table if she hadn't of been this close to Mist she would never of heard him say how old he was when he was left to fend for himself.

"Nine, really that must of been hard for you, was it your own choice or was you made to leave?" She didn't pity him she felt for him but it wasn't pity. Aura knew how cruel the world could be to some and now knowing just this little bit of information it helped her to understand him a little bit better.

"I suppose you could say I was made to leave," Mist said after a long pause, just looking down at the table as he thought. "Though no one was making me leave, exactly, I couldn't stay..." There was something he didn't want to tell Aura about the circumstances of his departure. Something he didn't think she'd understand. In fact, telling her might just ruin everything.

Aura could tell he was keeping something from her but who was she she had a dark secret of her own she hadn't even told Aden as she knew he would understand no matter how much love they had for each other he would of had her sent to prison for what she had done years ago if he had of known. But maybe just maybe Mist would understand.

In a much quieter voice then she even knew she had it was more as if she was talking to herself rather than Mist but she knew he would hear her. "You're not the only one who has killed" looking down at her hands as she twisted the silver ring on her right hand on the middle finger the one thing she still had from her old days of not being quite the Hero everyone knew her to be, well that and the scars.

Mist was a little surprised to hear Aura say that. Usually heroes made a point of not killing anyone. They'd rather bring people in alive. The Aura he'd known before had been the same, always trying to keep things non-lethal. Mist, for his part, had tried that as well even as a villain. His criminal record clearly showed how that had gone. Though there was one death he'd never been charged with, and he really wanted to keep it that way.

"Who did you kill?" he asked, though he didn't expect Aura to tell him.

Aura looked up not knowing how much to tell him if she told him one bit it wouldn't really make much sense but telling him everything would be opening herself up to all kinds of repercussions if he ever turned bad again. Having an internal battle with herself she didn't even realize she had started to talk.

"All you really need to know is he was evil and I mean real evil he was my last foster father, and no one knows and I do mean no one" Aura hoped he would understand how hard this was for her to be this open with him of all people. The fact she had never told Aden would of given the old Mist a great laugh having something over him about his own lover that he didn't know but this new Mist wasn't like him. But Aura still missed the old Mist in some ways.

Mist was silent for a while, letting that new information sink in. So Aura had killed her foster father? Mist could understand that. Completely. He wasn't an idiot. He knew that men could be very abusive toward children that weren't theirs. He'd heard stories of step-fathers doing all sorts of horrible things to their step-daughters. A foster daughter would probably be at even more risk, given the right--or wrong, rather--foster father.

"So he abused you and you killed him?" he asked.

Aura looked up at Mist "Yes he did and in more then just the physical sense but being a Hero that kind of thing should be dealt with by the authorities but I took my revenge on him myself, not that anyone knows. Well apart from you now, Aden knew what happened but he thought like everyone else that he died of a heart attack and I never felt inclined to tell the truth as I knew no matter what he felt for me his job always came first. He would've had to of taken me in, his job was always his first love and I understood that, Thats why I always came looking for you when I was bored I knew you would give me something to do."

Aura couldn't help the slight blush that moved up her skin as she spoke of her intending to find Mist and not just coming upon him accidentally. Aden had know she looked for Mist and he was always worried that Mist would get to her not necessarily in a sexual sense but because of the start of her life, he was concerned she would go over to the Villain side of life.

"I always suspected that you sought me out," Mist remarked. "I suppose then I was right." He actually felt somewhat flattered, but he wouldn't mention as much. Of course there was a more important topic here than Aura having come to find him back in the day.

Back to that very important topic... "I don't blame you for killing your foster father," he whispered, knowing that Aura would hear him. "At all. I...I understand, Aura. Completely."

Aura looked up at Mist shocked "What......how I mean I cant see how you can understand I killed someone and enjoyed every sweet moment of it" Aura could feel the tears at the edge of her eyes "I'am the one who is meant to be helping you and listening to you not the other way around"

Aura smiled a little she couldn't believe someone understood her even when she had said what if's and maybe's to Aden he had gone mad at her about even thinking that way, and here was Mist who was understanding she just didn't get it "why?" was all she could say.

"I understand," Mist began hesitantly, "because..." He paused, second-guessing himself. Could he tell her? She'd just told him something that he could use against her if he wished to. No matter what he told her now, he doubted she'd bring him right back to prison. Not when he had that bit of leverage on her, even if he didn't intend to use it.

He took a steadying breath, then admitted something he'd never told another person. "I killed my mother," he said. "That's why I had to leave home when I was nine. I killed her, and I ran away. So I do understand, Aura."

Status
Not open for further replies.