The Sword of Weathers. (OOC)

• So many newbies lately! Here is a very important PSA about one of our most vital content policies! Read it even if you are an ancient member!
Status
Not open for further replies.
Alright, edits made. Changed the gun into a musket and now Yama has a bayonet instead of a kukri.

• Love
Reactions: 1 person
Chill out, Shade. I understand that I had to be kind of stern, but let's not break into outright hostility. GM's aren't judge, jury, and executioner. They're just the judge, the players are the jury, and the death penalty was abolished a long time ago. If they did something wrong, explain it to them without insult. This is supposed to be fun.
It wasn't an insult, Sir. It was sarcasm.

Well I don't know about you guys, but I'm gonna change my character's fancy cane into a rifle and spells implement. I actually like guns. Although they will be in the forest and there will be no bullets lying about, but with simple spells, you can create bullets by manipulating the earth. Bulletsfalooza! Alteration magic is powerful!

Edit: If anyone reads this, I am allowing heavy big rifles as seen in the monster hunter games. I am allowing guns with multiple bullets queed inside it.@Lucius Cypher & @Sir Pinkleton , I am allowing guns from here on. But to own a gun and carry it around in the city, a person needs to apply for a license. These powerful weapons need to be control. Other than weapons, the government also oversee the use of magic among the citizens.

Rathalos_Gunner.png

As for the battle system, I actually thought that a player would describe what his character planned and what his movements would be before it happens, and I as the monster will react to it. Your actions may be interrupted in the middle of execution and it may not actually happen. But as for the monster's actions toward your character, you will have a chance to write how your character will react to the attack, and later I will decide it it misses or hits. The monster's action could be interrupted by you as well. Therefore, if a person was to write that their character will cast a spell, he should mention what does the spell do and describe how he worded the spell in the ancient language. Maybe the spell is short and simple, maybe its long and complex. If you could, write their spells in English so that I could judge them. I do not plan on using a dices because I do not have experiences on using them. I do not feel good in troubling @Sir Pinkleton to manage the outcomes. But if @Sir Pinkleton wants to, I have no problem with it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Everyone can continue their post. You can interact with the blimp ship and its crew if you want. I will immediately respond once I see the post. Just like Sir Pinkleton said, the order of the post doesn't matter. In battle, there should be a cycle and you would have to wait for everyone else to post, but in chatters between two character's I don't think there should be a cycle. Just like @Einws character and @Sir Pinkleton 's character who are currently trying to start a conversation. You don't have to wait for everyone else to post before you could respond to each other. Let's not make this a waiting game unless we have to.

Once again, I emphasis, I am allowing guns and its not single shot any longer. There will be pistols to heavy rifles with sniper scopes.

Time for pretty pictures.

All Images are by http://tahra.deviantart.com/

head_zeppelin_by_tahra-d6z5d9f.jpg

Short people with guns. Halflings maybe? Gnomes? I don't know. He's using rifles as weapons. Even his head gear are rifles.

on_the_way_home_by_tahra-d5nlzvu.jpg

Same short people. What race do you think this could be? Oh and there will be other animal rides other than horses. Deal with it.

take_breath_by_tahra-d5nm01v.jpg

Other than the victorian era fashion, there will also be immigrants from other countries with asian concept.

character_study02_by_tahra-d4vfk1l.jpg

Your typical swordman.

cross_the_frontier_by_tahra-d7fpbub.jpg

The travelling nomads. Notice they have horns...

character_study04_by_tahra-d509z3d.jpg

An arcane artist. The reason for the lack of armor is because she enchant her clothes with protection spells.

character_study04_by_tahra-d4yuoc0.jpg

Heavy armored knight of the kingdom of Telmark.

knight_by_tahra-d4m3lpg.jpg

Winged people. Perhaps some were born with wings, and perhaps some of the sapients, mostly elves, altered their figure to have wings. The words for the complex alteration of the figure are known mostly by elves who guards their knowledge only for themselves. The general arcanist have yet to learn these ancient words of figure alteration.

study_character_by_tahra-d4u7d7s.jpg

This person is an NPC. She maybe good with spells or enchantment. Maybe not.

hunting_monster_by_tahra-d3a541p.jpg

The World's monster hunter. Hunter of Monsters. Trader of rare coats and leathers.

red_skin2_by_tahra-d38lwo8.jpg

This is a drow who has altered his figure. I emphasis that elves are rare in the world. Very few has seen them. Some don't even believe elves exists. Some elves have altered their appearance just to live in a human settlement peacefully. Most elves are immortal, but they can choose to lose their immortality with the arcane arts.

red_skin_by_tahra.jpg

This is also a drow or dark elf. Remember, they are secluded races.

kick_by_tahra.jpg

Imagine one enchanting their body with massive strength and mixing that spell with karate. They'd could punch a whole house down. I believe @Lucius Cypher 's character, Yama, can do this.

I love you. XD

So whats your take on the law on magic and the weaponry? Don't you have questions how your healer would heal anyone without directly affecting the person with magic?

The guns are a little bit silly, by size and relative technological capabilities compared to a society that considers blimps to be the ideal mode of transportation, but suspension of disbelief is part of the genre and I have no particular problem with them.

Magic, however, is particularly restrictive with regard to healing magic. I'm not actually sure that any healing magic could function under the rules that govern the magic system in this world. Pretty much any variety of healing requires some measure of interaction with the individual that needs to be healed; the spells I created for Alun were based upon the concept that magic was guided by words, had a specific purpose that was based on those words, and that there was a physical (and spiritual) drain associated with the power of the spell. Even increasing someone's natural regeneration rate requires some way of tampering with an individual's biological systems, and under the new restrictions that is impossible. I can't actually think of a way that healing magic could work without directly interacting with an individual -- enchanting a needle to sew perfect stitches, maybe? There certainly isn't any way to interact with a creature's internal systems, so Alun's spell that cures minor poisons is also infeasible.

Protection against infection could still work, I suppose. Rather than directly interacting with or destroying anything, it just exists as a ward over broken skin that prevents certain kinds of bacteria from entering a wound. I think the simplest solution would be to just edit out Alun's capability for magic, and leave him as a decent surgeon with a theological education.

• Love
I don't think the healing spells you created is impossible, @Einws :) I'll explain.

Although you could not directly cast a healing spell on the flesh of your patient, you can cast a spell on the air surrounding the wound. You can enchant the air with healing properties or enchant the air to hasten flesh regeneration. You can also enchant your hands so that whatever that touches your hand will get healed. This way, the air or your hand will heal the wound it touches. You can also enchant the herbs to act much quicker or enchant your utilities such as scalpel and needles with whatever properties that you wish. Your will is implemented in the non living matter you cast your spell upon. The effectiveness of your spell will also be stressed on the perfection of the sentences of power you created as well as the focus you put into it.

As for the technology of machines, :) blimps are not the only kind of airships. There are also planes. Steam engines exists. In other part of the kingdom, steam engine trains and ferries exists. So what @Lucius Cypher said did made sense. How come they only use muskets and medieval swords and hand held shields when there are colossal monsters roaming in the lands? What did they army use to push back these colossal monsters out of civilization and protect the citizens? What about the settlements that are built far from the main cities? Not all of the sapients have the intelligence to use magic. Therefore, great weapons must exist.... This is just my opinion thought.

Thank you, @Einws , I would appreciate more comments from everyone.

I'll refrain from commenting on magic, because I'll admit anything I say about it will be slanted towards trying to make Shapeshifting into a viable and possible form of magic.

As for the justification of the medieval stasis/Anachronism, I'll try to explain how I see it using what I've been told so far.

Weapons technology has not gone in the favor of personal firearms simple due to the complexity of guns. While I would not say that making a sword is any simpler, a gun, even one like a musket, is made of multiple parts of varying levels of strength and quality. The reason this is important is due to enchanting: as enchanting is preformed using written runes, it was easier to inscribe runes onto such things as swords, armor, and occasionally arrows than onto guns and bullets. Additionally as I was also told, the price for firearms are high due to the rarity of Saltpeter, a vital component in gunpowder. Locations where they can be found are few and far in between, and most of it is used for heavier siege weaponry meant for monsters instead of individuals. The rarity of gunpowder, in addition to the recent years being "peaceful" in that there has been no real demand in new weaponry, made gun research a niche subject at best, otherwise those who look more into it are seen the same way Yama is with her magic: power hunger warmongers.

As for the heighten advancement in steam engines and other technologies, I'm going to use the wild monsters in the frontier to justify most of it. While I wouldn't be so idealistic as to say that all sentience live in peace with one another and thus never thought to turn their creations against each other, there was a much larger threat looming at their borders. That's not to say that there hasn't been the occasional scuffle which may have made someone thing "How could I use this against those people?", but they typically get drowned out by the voices of those who say "How can we use this against those monsters?". Hence the advancement of steam-powered airships and locomotives: At this point in history the only thing that has enough power to slay monsters are a combination of powerful magic and manpower, both things which takes years to amass. In the interim the world grows steadily, and if it wishes to do so they need to formulate ways to traverse their world safely. First were trains: Fast than any beast and clad in iron, only the largest and most powerful of monsters could stand a chance of stopping a train running full tilt, and as massive metal machines with cannons attached to them, there were very few monsters who could do such a thing. Airships simply relied on the fact that most of those same monsters are incapable of flight, and the ones who do are not quite as durable as the airships (If you cripple a bird's wing it's as good as dead, whereas you can put holes through an airship but could still stay fly). Thus the demand for faster, tougher airships to avoid monsters overtook the need to actually destroy them. Or rather, that's what's happening first: I would hope to think that scientific progress is occurring in all fields, and it's simply that the current culture looks badly upon those who research into things with obviously militaristic capabilities.

As for the monsters themselves, I doubt they're governed in any meaningful way but they could simply be uber-powerful wild animals, some with sentient level intelligence combined with their monstrous strength. Most commonly seen within dragon type creatures, but more on that later. Point is the reason we haven't utterly steamed rolled over these monsters is because currently they have more power available than the current civilizations do, namely in mobility. The monsters don't require trains or weapons to do great damage, whereas we do. We have to slowly expand inch by inch from the safety of our walls and weapons where the monsters are capable of moving freely and wherever they need to. Now what keeps the monsters in check are themselves: There's no reason to think that they are all unified to destroy all sentient lifeforms. At worse they simply attack whoever they feel they're capable of destroying to take resources they would need. A monster may attack a settlement, not because of sick pleasure, but because there are things in that settlement that it can eat to survive. That's not to say that all the monsters have only animistic intelligence, but hardly all the monsters actually have any desire to see our world destroyed.

And of course, there are always exceptions to the rule. Such as monsters who are fully capable of sentience and find our civilizations to be a blight on their world. Or whatever justification they think. Point is, it is these monsters who intentionally make it hard for civilization to expand and advance into the wilds, and why we even have things like Old Ruins to explore. It's a balance of power, but again, it's slated towards the monsters. While civilizations have immense power within their lands, monsters have constant power everywhere else, and when guided by a sentient monster they are much more capable of organizing themselves to counteract the raw firepower most civilizations can put out.

I'd say that currently there may be a sort of cold war or even monster civil war around this time that explains the recent "Peace". Both sides, monsters and civilization, are at a state where they both are capable of a mutually ensured destruction, and must slowly edge themselves into an adventitious position before they can make a full out attack on one another. Attempting to do something preemptively will have unpredictable results, and while the occasional incident between individual monsters and mortals are ignorable, mobilizing entire armies will cause the other to react in kind.

Alternatively if the idea that civilizations can even have that level of warfare against monsters, then another idea I had was simply that there are a lot of monsters out in the world, and all of them want to be the boss. Thus they're currently involved in their own wars against one another to attain dominance, largely ignoring civilizations as a situational threat at best. They know that our civilizations won't venture out into monster lands, so they're more occupied in deciding who calls the shots. And should some civilization try to take advantage of the monster civil war, they'd find that they're still very much a threat even when fighting each other.

And lastly, if I may take a more darker and somewhat controversial route, another explanation for why we had such strange technology developments can be explained with my favorite reason: The Suppression of Knowledge. It could be anyone: The academy of magic, whatever is the most dominate religious, druids of the wilds, Luddites who simply hate the idea of science, or even the local government trying to control their people by contorting what they know. A militia, and by proxy a terrorist organization, can be formed quite easily if the only thing they need to be a threat is the ability to aim and shoot a gun. Thus guns are suppressed so that anyone who would be able to post a military threat must go through the complicated and long process of traditional martial training, and those who still want to use firearms would have to purchase the materials, which can be tracked. The advancement of transportation technology can also be explained using a similar, if somewhat more benevolent reason. If civilizations are capable of emulating the power and mobility of the monsters they face, than they can start building towards expanding their lands in such a way that isn't so costly in both manpower and materials. If a handful of airplanes could be used to take out a giant monster instead of an army of soldiers, than that's what people should be focusing more on than trying to make a bigger handgun or looking into making magic less costly.

Oh, and one last thing that I think was also mentioned: The gods themselves may just be intervening. I think Pinkerton said something about trying to look deeper into the power of magic is liable to get their attention and smite the interloper? Something similar to that, but with technology. So it would sort of fit with the above hypothetical, but in that regard it's much harder for civilizations to develop. After all, unless they can kill gods, there isn't really a way for them to do anything that doesn't result in them getting slapped down with a big no.

@Lucius Cypher

I think your explanation is beautiful, though I think the lack of advancement in gun technology is largely due to the lack of necessity for such. Think of it as Attack on Titan. The biggest thread for humanoid-kind is wild, powerful monsters on which guns have little to no effect. Cannons, yes, but sticks that launch small pellets don't do much, so yes, I would agree that most blackpowder, or equivalent thereof, is used for use in cannons.

The only reason they have guns is for the few criminals that do roam the land, though it's mostly used for intimidation. Like you also said, a gun pointed at your face is a scary thing. Bullets are faster and less harmful than arrows, though they still get the job done, so you can catch a running criminal and limit the need for medical assistance. However, if you want to damage something, arrows would still be a more desired choice since it's easier to enchant a bow and arrow, rather than every part of a gun.

That's not to say people won't have guns. They're still useful if you can take down your opponent with one, maybe two, shots. Or for the freaks with the muscle to do so, you can carry a light cannon with you. You could probably take down your opponent with one shot from that, but you have to be willing to carry around a large bag of gunpowder, cannonballs and a fricking cannon for that.

So, in essence, what we have is a pirate's single-shot flintlock gun combined with a wild-western steam train. 17th century for the guns, 19th century for the rest of technology. I like it.

• Love
Oh, btw. I hadn't really addressed the issue of money, though since we're about to leave civilization, I don't think this will be an issue so I'll just go ahead and post without GM clearance. Just tell me when I go overboard. I do have a habit to see how far I can go without breaking the rules.

I assume it's the classic copper<silver<gold coin system?

I need to learn to get all my information into one post. Quick heads-up. I'm probably absent starting today until wednesday. Ok, maybe not absent, but minimal activity, so I can check posts, but probably not write much.

Reactions: Shade_XY
Nope @Majem , sorry, there will still be multi shots heavy rifles. But as @Lucius Cypher said, they will be expensive. Your character and @Lucius Cypher's character are indipendant tinkerer and inventor right? So, there should be other tinkerer who could develop a mini multi shot cannon. People who works as monster hunters will want and need them. I'm not saying everyone will have guns. Just some who works in the line of fighting giants.

And please be aware that the ancient language is a lost language. Most of the words and runes are still lost and unknown. Learning the ancient language is not like learning chinese or french.

Dragons do not talk in the human language, thank you.

You know, I'm now quite sure. I kind if thought we all were just waiting on the docks, and that the captain now has allowed us to board. But if we already were, than we can still have our characters explore the ship a little. That, at the very least, is what Yama is trying to do.

Yeah, that's what I thought. That works, just wanted to make sure we were going through the same scene here.

So I know I've been absent for a while, but like I've said before, things get busy.
I decided I want to implement super butler since Majem asked so nicely.
Like everything else, that'll come... eventually. Although more eventually than the other stuff cause I need to get him on that blimp.

So I know I've been absent for a while, but like I've said before, things get busy.
I decided I want to implement super butler since Majem asked so nicely.
Like everything else, that'll come... eventually. Although more eventually than the other stuff cause I need to get him on that blimp.

Would you like me to edit my post and wait for him to board before closing the entrance?

I'll write it in as him already having been onboard but below decks. I don't want to stall everything.

Status
Not open for further replies.