The Siren's Song [ IC ]

• So many newbies lately! Here is a very important PSA about one of our most vital content policies! Read it even if you are an ancient member!
Status
Not open for further replies.
[No It is fine. I don't mind one liners as long as they progress the story. Recruiting crew members is a fone exception to Sh**loads of one liners. Just make sure they aren't just there because you couldn't think of anything to say.] {P.S. Try to keep OOC in the OOC thread}

((Ah, sorry.))

Dale paused, thinking it over, "Well, I know how to sail a ship. And I know how to cook and clean. Oh, I can also heal injuries, if that helps. As for fighting, I'm no good at melee, but I can shoot pretty well," he replied.

"Why was I climbing the ship? Well, I, uh... I was testing to see if the ropes were strong enough!" Rengi chirped.

"In other words, you were sneaking on," Dale muttered.

"Was not, smartie pants," Rengi snapped, crossing her arms. "Okay, I was. But I wanted to know what was on board!"

Carrn had sensitive hearing, so most of the discussions on board he could hear by moving about the deck and being busy. Since he was one of the few people aboard who actually knew what to do and was doing it, there was a LOT to do. He didn't know entirely what to do about the Harpy's aversion to the water, but he figured a few weeks out on the ocean without incident would put his heart at ease.

It was because of this hearing that he heard the newest recruit, some human who was INCREDIBLY tall, a touch over twice the burly-dwarf's height (though it looked like they weighed about the same). He stomped over, his double cheek-bone braids bouncing about merrily despite the frown on his thick, blunt features, and said "Ah good, someone who has been on a ship before. If yer gonna join us, then I'm putting you to work now. We got work to do, if the captain wants to get out to sea when he told us he did!"

(@Demmy )

Dale yawned, glancing over his shoulder as he heard someone approach the group. it had indeed been a long time since the boy had seen a dwarfd and longer still, one on an actual ship. Tilting his head, Dale blinked, hardly able to believe what he was saying. "I just, uh, wait.... What? Would I actually be able to join at this point in time?" he asked, almost stupidly.

The dwarf tapped his foot when the boy spoke, and his eyes narrowed. He cupped his hands around his mouth and shouted "DID YE NOT HEAR ME ALL THE WAY UP THERE!" He shook his head and spun away, still speaking loudly. "If ye want to stay, get to work. If the captain has a problem with someone who knows what they're doin' aboard his ship, then I'll jump over the side and swim back. Or ye could waste what little time we have left trackin' him down and askin' him." He turned back around, on the other side of the deck by a huge stack of rope that needed to be set, tied off, and secured, and said "Or get yer face-high arse over here and secure this line!"

Dale sighed, mumbling something under his breath. "Aye, aye, I'll help ya," he muttered, hurrying over to where the dwarf was and started to secure the line. "though I do have some things to get from across the road before leave, if that is okay with you, Mr. Shortie." That last part may have been unnecessary, but Dale always hated when people started mentioning his height.

If being called short by this giant bothered the dwarf, he didn't show it. He just growled and rolled his eyes. "If ye still have things ye need ye have a half-hour to get them then! Dependin' on how fast ye secure this line, that is." He chuckled as he rushed off to secure the rest, tying down the sail so it was ready to be adjusted more easily, making sure the anchor was ready to be cranked up at a moment's notice, and other necessary jobs that had to be done before they could cast off completely.

The job with the lines would take a few minutes if he knew what he was doing, closer to ten if he wasn't sure, and would be impossible if he'd never done it before. Carrn kept an eye on the gargantuan human. if he had too much trouble, he'd have to go and help...

Dale got to work quickly, whistling a fast paced sea shanty his father had taught him when he was six. That would have been the years they sailed to Port Varus. Shaking away the thought, the boy stepped away from his work and smiled. "I'll be right back, then," he called to the dwarf before heading back to the shop and his home. He almost couldn't contain the excitement when he arrived at the door and walked in, his words spilling out of his mouth without much of a break.

Liza blinked, staring at the desk as her son ran to his room to grab his most precious items. "He's leaving."

"Oh, Mother," Dale sighed hugging her from behind. "I'll be back before you know it, okay? I love you."

"I love you too. Just don't die, okay?"

"Of course not," Dale offered her a smiled. "But I have to go now."

"Remember to stay somewhat clean. I don't want you coming home smelling like a pig. And remember to be nice! And don't drink too much!"

"I'll try," Dale murmured, about to walk out of the store. "Okay. Yes, okay! Jeez."

Darcia just kept smiling even when the male was harsh to her.
After all she was being dorky about the fact she wasn't fully harpy earlier. As he finally looked up to he she could she he regretted for his harsh actions.
And thanked her. Darcia once again offered a smile towards the male as she placed a hand on his shoulder.
"You're welcome. Don't forget everyone has flaws." With that she decided to leave it be she didn't want to pressure him to much.
She dropped herself on the floor as she stretched her arms out and finally laid on her back staring up to the sky.

Scottie glanced at the hand on his shoulder but he didn't say anything else, he would probably blurt something stupid out again. However, he wouldn't have had time to talk either as Darcia was quick to lie down on the deck, a move the male harpy wouldn't have expected. She was supposed to be experienced with sailing, right? And they would be leaving soon which probably meant preparations had to be made. Looking around the deck, Scottie spotted the dwarf doing something that was possibly important with a huge man.

Wait, what?

The dwarf was indeed in the company of a ridiculously tall human male from what the harpy could see. The sight was comical in a way and Scottie couldn't help chuckling slightly. Apparently, they had acquired a new crew member crazy enough to sail on board The Serpent. Tearing his eyes away from the giant and the dwarf, the harpy looked back down on the female resting on the deck.

"Uh, you sure you have time to be laying around at a time like this?"

If he was sprawled across the deck, Scottie didn't think many would care since he was of little use anyway. However, if Darcia really knew her way around ships, shouldn't she be helping? Or what did he know, perhaps he had missed something.

Darcia chuckled at the question. It was true she could help around but she hadn't got that much sleep last night.
"Don't worry I know what ya might be thinking. She could help out as well but the real work comes when we get into the water."
She grinned. "I didn't get that much rest last night as I planned so I don't want to ruin my energy for when it's really needed."
"So better take some rest now and help out when needed then help out now and not have the strength to help when needed."

Okami looked at the dwarf welcoming the new boy, but the girl was still there, he still had some suspects about this girl, as he ate his peach, he stared at her with a serious gaze as he thought about what could had made her climb to the ship, "Why could it be? Maybe some kind of spy, or just a lost girl?", he thought.

"Hey, so...why were you climbing to the ship?", he said before standing up and taking his bags to carry them to his place in the ship.

@Demmy

Rengi fell silent, studying the floor, which had suddenly become so very, very interesting. "Well, like I said," she murmured, deciding to tell the truth for a change, "I was curious as to what was up here. Every ship seems to have its own quirks do I wanted to know. Besides, I need a new story to tell me siblings the next time I go home to them." The girl told him, somewhat shuffling awkwardly on her feet as she did so.

Charlotte was in the crows nest soundly. She was in a half asleep state in her wolf form listening to the sound of the birds. She preferred not to engage with anyone else. She simply kept to herself because she didn't believe she would get along with anyone. She wasn't the friendly talkative type because of the abuse she'd arrived from and the loss of a friend she had by the dreaded monsters. All she wanted was for the reckless monsters dead and she would fight, and protect the ones fighting with her. But afterwards she would disappear and never see any of the people on this ship again. It was obvious people may die on this trip so she refused to try to chat and make friends simply because she couldn't take losing anyone else plus she wouldn't be abused again. She knew how small her patience was now that she was a lone Alpha. Just one word could probably turn her to kill just about anyone.

She was on her side the sun beating down on her silver-black fur. If she relaxed enough maybe she could imagine her being at that one place she always wanted to go, another reason she stayed. She wanted to live on an island and train a pack of her own to live like a wolf tribe. Not anything like her mother and father made of their pack. They were horrible. They used their pack mates and use their Omegas as their slaves by forcing them as bait and breeders. She hated it. That was not a pack. She flicked her ears hearing talking down below. Great. More noise.

Okami heard the girl's reasons...It wasn't really what he expected but he didn't gave any kind of matter to it, this girl was looking for "a story", that could end in a interesting way, "Besides everything...This girl has a weird smell", it was like if she was literally made of metal, this got Okami interested in what this girl could be.

"A story...You should join then", he said as he turned back and sat in the pope of the ship; then he noticed a familiar scent coming from the upper part of The Serpent, from the Crow's Nest specifically, it was that girl that he met some hours ago, it was weird, why were she there?, was one of his random thoughts.

"Hey...Come down", he said with average tone as he stared at the girl in her wolf form from afar.

@Demmy @Karuko_TheShifter

(Enough chatting for Okami, loner mode On)

Charlotte raised her head looking to the male. She scoffed before lowering her head back on her paws and closing her eyes again. Its not like he's the captain or anything. She refused to be pushed around by a male. One she didn't know at that. He had a coldness to him like any other relative she had and she hated it. She yawned before falling back to sleep.

((And the Lizardman rises from the dead.))

Varsh had returned from below deck to see the ship getting ready to set sail, and to his surprise the had become more populated when he was away. It was a mixed bag of humans, all of them normal looking but each had a attitude that separated them from one another. One lazy, one shy, and one commanding. The commanding male in question was yelling at someone in the ship's crows nest who had Varsh thought at first to be a human in a very furry coat. "An odd choice of attire for sea travel." However, Varsh used his hand to block away the sun's light out of his eyes to get a better look and saw that the mass of fur was something much more troublesome. "A werewolf? What would a furry dog know about seamanship?" he muttered to himself. Nevertheless, the werewolf in question was ignoring the commanding human to get off its lazy ass and come down. "Don't worry. I'll get the pup down." He walked up to the mast where had been constructed on. The mast itself was of course thick and sturdy like any decent ship mast should be in Varsh's mind, so hitting a few times shouldn't leave any damage. The Lizardman lifted his right leg up and began slamming his foot against the mast with the force one might use to kick open a door.

If Carrn hadn't been so busy preparing to set sail, he would have howled at Darcia to get up. As it was, he focused on getting everything ready. Then the young pup that was, for some reason, trying to be in charge of this ship started shouting at people way up in the rigging, and Carrn rolled his eyes. The boy may have decided to inform the captain of his goal, but as far as Carrn knew and understood of the short conversation Okami had with the captain, he really had no authority over anything.

But then the lizard-man started kicking the mast, and Carrn's eyes blazed.

"OY!" He shouted, dropping from a yardarm and rushing over to the lizard. "The hell are you doing! If ye want to get her down, go up and get her, don't beat up the ship! Have ye got swamp-muck swilling about between your ear-holes, lizard-man!" His voice was raucous and loud. He made sure to plant himself between the scaly warrior and the mast, and continued with his tirade. "Ye got no business slamming yer taloned feet against this boat, warrior, and if ye keep doin' that I'll get the captain to give me permission to throw ye into the brine!"

Varsh's attempts to get the young pup out of the crows nest were interrupted by Carrn's shouting up a storm and the dwarf putting himself between the mast and Vasrh's boot. Had Varsh not been cordinated and quick to react, the dwarf might have gotten to have a taste of the leather of his boot. But Carrn's shouting confused Varsh. "You think I am being disrespectful by kicking the mast ,yet you put yourself between me and the mast like a child would do. I'll be honest Carrn you have me at a loss here, cause you think very little of this ship when you say high praises for it." Varsh put his boot down. "Do you think highly enough of me to think that I have enough strength to break down the mast with only my foot? Or is this ship made out of Balsa wood?" "If you insist I must climb up, then I will." he says as climbs the ship railing to reach the rope ladder.

Last edited by a moderator:
Had the lizard just called him a child? Carrn figured he had, but decided to let it slide, now that the offending boot was back on the deck.

"It ain't about ye damaging it, scaly-one. Its about respect. Ye have to respect yer ride when out in the deeps, as it is the only thing keepin' ye from an early, watery grave." He patted the mast lightly where the lizard had kicked it, the scuff mark from the boot and slight depression from said boot noticeable to his practiced eye. "Next ye'll be tellin' me I'm bein' childish for tellin' ye all not to lean on the railin' too much!"

He turned his attention up to the crow's nest, some thirty feet of thick wood reaching high into the air between the small basket and Carrn's position. "Besides, what is kickin' it goin' to do anyhow! Yer thumps ain't gonna wake up someone sleepin' up there. Only droppings from the gulls will do that." By then, the lizard was up in the ropes, and Carrn nodded, hoping that the lizard had understood his point.

Then he had a job for the harpy girl, and he strode over to her and nudged her with his boot. If she awoke, he'd launch right into his loud orders. If she didn't awake, he would do exactly the same thing.

"Hey, bird-lady! Ye say ye have experience sailin', then get up in the nest and keep an eye on the water! Ye got sharp eyes, I'm assumin', and ye'll have to teach this one," he jerked his thumb at Scottie, "how to tell dangerous waters from the safe ones. Can ye handle that, or does it interrupt your beauty sleep!"

Status
Not open for further replies.