The Siren's Song [ IC ]

Status
Not open for further replies.
With a nod Reneth stepped forward and followed the Captain below deck. It was dark within the belly of the ship, even with the sparse lanterns that hung against timbers and walls, and for a few moments she blinked rapidly to rid her eye of the sunspots that stained her vision. Once her eye cleared and she got a chance to look around she saw that the ship was as well cared for below as it had appeared to be from the outside. There was no smell of wood rot and no obvious signs that rats had taken up residence within the food stores so at least they would not have to worry about the bottom of the ship rotting out beneath them or their food stores being picked at by some rat rodent.

Switching her chest to the other hip she hoped that she would get drop the stuff off in her room first. However as soon as that thought came it was replaced be her wondering whether or not she would have a room and a work place, or whether she would be working from her room. Either way she could work, and considering the size of the ship she should not expect much, but it might be nice to not have the crew barging into her room at all hours of the day and throwing injured crew members upon her table.

As they moved deeper into the ship Reneth furrowed her brow as the low chatter that had persisted at the very edge of her hearing was not louder instead of quieter. It was not intelligible but it was starting to bug her as she strained to pick out understandable words.

The Captain led her to a room just at the bow of the ship, the room took up a large amount of space. On one wall stood a cabinet with glass doors, inside were assorted drugs and other such items for medical use. On the other end of the room were 4 beds for laying the sick on and a few cots for any extras. One section was cut off by a wall with a door. The door was swung open and inside was a bed with a small nightstand, a candle flickering on the stand. "This will be your quarters and work space. The bed in that little room is to be your private area, out here is where you can work. Next door is the kitchen and cook's room. Just down the way is the regular crew's quarters." He turned around and looked up, on the ceiling was a small trapdoor. He pulled open the trapdoor as it had a small rope hanging from it. A ladder unfolded from the trapdoor and led up a floor. "This will lead you up a floor, from there take another trapdoor and you'll be on deck." He pushed the trapdoor back up, the ladder folding with the motion. "Any other questions before I head up to check that the others are ready to go?"

Varsh just scoffed at the girl harpy. "We shall see bird...."

Turning his attention back to the dwarf, he took the dwarf's advice and deiced to wait for the captain to return from below deck. Surely if these young bloods were part of the captain's crew, Varsh would surely be the captain's greatest asset to fighting the sea monsters. Taking himself to a quiet corner of the ship towards the bow, he removed his backpack and his cleavers from his person a large thud signifying the cleavers removal. Varsh would then just sit and observe the crew as he waited. The most interesting crew member was the very meek Orc chef that was busy talking to a over excited human girl. It was very rare that a Orc would wander into the swamps of the Delta, but when one did, it would have an air of authority mixed with a underlining blood-lust; a kind of person that Varsh would enjoy fighting. But this orc, while she did have the armor of an Orc warrior, her personality radiated that of person who was forever worried of making a social faux pas. Perhaps she thinks she needs to be courteous to make the other crew members feel comfortable. A pointless idea considering all of them will soon be covered in sea monster guts. Perhaps Varsh could get the warrior spirit out of her at some point...but not right now.

Scottie observed closely as the dwarf untied and then tied the knot properly for the line. He'd probably never remember how it was done even if his life depended on it, he had never good with knots anyway. Though the harpy still nodded with his mouth a firm line like he had gotten it. No use letting the others know how much of a noob he really was.

The young harpy's attention was pulled away from the dwarf and the life boat as someone began talking, someone named 'Mor'. Turning around, Scottie spotted a very scary looking green female orc. Her words and tone of voice were friendly but the harpy still felt slightly nervous because of her appearance. He felt like a douche because of it but he simply couldn't help himself. The orcs he had come across so far hadn't been the nicest folk and the sweet attitude of Mor had him slightly confused.

Despite his puzzled and fairly nervous state of mind, Scottie still found himself striding over to the female orc. Looking up at her, the harpy's eyes shone with excitement and a certain amount of reservation as he voiced his question.

"Do you have any fruits?"

The male harpy liked fruits. Fruits were sweet and juicy and absolutely delicious, what was there not to love?

She was taken aback by the little human but her face lit up at her words. "Sure I could always use a hand in the cooking and no matter what anyone tells you, we cooks are the backbones of the crew. I mean who can people fight when they're hungry, no one that's who! Anyway it's a pleasure to make your acquaintance Charlotte." Mor gave her a solid pat on the back...hmm maybe this was going to be a great trip. She turns to the harpy..ignoring the lizard man's looks. He was a fighter she could tell but just because she was an orc doesn't mean she had to be one too, no cooking was much more fun and relaxing then hurting people. "Oh I've got lots of fruit, do have a favorite or will any fruit do for you?" She lays the very big sack down and opens it some showing off various good looking fruit inside.

Carrn knew the boy hadn't gotten it perfectly, but there was still time to teach him how to do it. He'd hand him a dozen lines of rope and have him practice for a few hours if need be. When it was done he waved dismissively to the harpy, and said "Now go on then, that'll be it for now." The boy seemed barely to have heard and was already gone, off to discuss with the Orc some food. Not a bad idea really, but Carrn had other things to do.

To the lizardfolk he said "I'll go see if I can holler at him that he's got another visitor. Don't want ye losin' interest, do we?" He chuckled a little, then strode over to the hatch that went below-decks and tossed it open, dropping down inside. He let out a hardy shout of "Captain, jus' lettin' ye know there be another fellow lookin' for employment."

"No, no this will do nicely." Reneth said with a nod looking around at the room. With a thump she placed her truck upon one of the cots before moving to the bedroom and laying her pack down at the foot of the bed. Unpacking could wait a little longer, it would be a long voyage and she at least hoped that there would be some time before they hit the rough waters. A sound from above drew her attention and she was momentarily surprised by the sight of the stocky dwarf from earlier. Apparently there was a potential crew member aboard that wished to speak with the Captain.

"I will not detain you Captain." She said with a curt nod turning her attention to the stocked cabinet. Over all she was impressed with the selection that the cabinet offered, Gregorian's Trumpet, the Arrow Stem flower, and even a bit of Dead Man's Eye. Some of the plants were ones that she had brought as well but others were ones that she had not deemed quite important enough to bring along, but was thankful to have them just in case, still she was glad that she had brought some of her own stuff. There were things that she had brought that were not in the cabinet, mostly it was a few minor things but there were a couple rarer powders and dried plants that she had managed to collect during some of her travels.

I need booze

"Well this is on-." The voice had been so close and so clear that she could have sworn that there was someone else in the room with her. However when Reneth turned around she found that she was quite alone. Eye narrowing in suspicion she strode across the room in a few long strides to her trunk. Throwing it open she fumbled around until she got a grip on the pair of handle that poked up through the middle of the orderly rows of bottles and bandages in her trunk. Pulling it upwards she removed the top shelf to gain access to the bottom most shelf where her sword and other blades were kept. Arming herself with a dagger about the length of her forearm she slowly began to track her way towards the back of the ship, listening as the demands and voice got clearer. It was not that the voice itself concerned her, it was just the fact that when she covered her ears the voice only became more pronounced. Moving slowly she navigated her way to hold, picking up a lantern on her way to help clear away some of the shadows.

After looking around she was beginning to feel that she might be going crazy until the light fell upon a coffin that looked like it had been made for a child. Only the child that it had been made for had very odd tastes. Bending down Reneth examined the coffin confused as to how it had made it on board the ship, unless the Captain was really unoptimistic about their chances, thinking to herself she tapped the lid of the coffin with the but of her knife, brow furrowed in contemplation.

The Captain went up at the request of his dwarven crew member. He climbed out of the hatch, seeing Mor with a bag of fruit and a lizardman. "Ah, so you must be the one looking to join us." He walked over towards the lizardman. "Well, I'll let you know you're welcome here friend. Just a few rules you need to follow. 1. Don't Kill anyone. 2. Don't Eat all the food. and 3. Don't leave anyone behind. Finally, treat The Serpent with respect, and we'll be all nice and dandy." He turned, opening himself up to both Mor and the Lizardman. "So, Cook. May I show you to your working area and quarters? And allow me to show our new crew member his quarters as well." He stepped over to the hatch again, opening it.

Meeting the captain of the ship probably was the first good sign Varsh had seen of this crew. The captain was clear, no-nonsense, and firm with what was expected of his crew. A good sign, lets just hope that the dwarf is not the only one of the crew who looks like he could fight then. Varsh followed the captain with his gear down inside the ship. "Call me Varsh captain. I look forward to bringing home a trophy from the sea. However, is this all the crew that is on your ship? It seem rather small and it lacks enough men of a brave disposition."

Knock knock, said the knife.

And as if on cue, the lid of the coffin started to slide open very, very (some might say needlessly dramatically) slowly. The voices only intensified, and like a bullied child who had grown past his unhappy academy years and blossomed into a respectably successful serial killer, it grew stronger and stronger and more deranged.

Booze.

Booze.

Booze.

A tavern with alcoholic beverages and passable ambiance.

The rights of mages to bear arcane arms against their inferior masters.

Just kidding.

Mages suck.

Booze.

Booze.

Do I even lift?

I hope whoever opens this coffin isn't burdened with the task of retrieving it for the kingdom of whatshtenameican'tremember on pain of the death of her friends and-

And then the music started:

A dark mist rolled out of the coffin, engulfing the room with the sweet fragrance of blood, cauliflower and high-end aromatherapy candles. Then a great (relative to an ant) white paw gripped the side of the coffin, and a seal in tophat and monocle came after, his other paw around a black classy cane. He rose up, and though he was small, he felt taller than the other occupant in the room. He peered around the room, settling quickly on Reneth, and pegged her with a squinty, monocled eye.

"You're a cynic, Madam." he said, in a voice that made a crashing wave sound like a whisper. "You're no more than a harlot with an arcane stick. I pity you."

Then he shuddered, his black eyes rolling back, and the monocle and tophat fell off and faded into dust. The cane grew legs and hopped out of the room. The music stopped abruptly. The seal fell on his back, and started squirming around cutely and ineffectually, gesturing to Reneth for a belly rub.

"You're a level 5 blood mage!" Harpy squeaked squeakishly in a squeaky squeak. In the distance, a baby puffin squawked once and then no more, for he was forever silenced. "That makes you eligible to hear my tragic backstory!"

Last edited by a moderator:
Scottie's eyes gleamed with joy as he peered into the sack with all kinds of delicious fruits in it, he was liking this orc already. Though her appearance still gave him the chills but he'd shake that off soon. The harpy gave the orc a small grin as he replied to her question.

"Nah, I'm not too picky. Anything goes."

Feeling slightly embarrassed by his sudden enthusiasm, the male harpy took a step back, partly because he didn't want Mor feeling like he was invading her space and partly because he didn't feel comfortable being so close to an orc. He hadn't really thought anything else than fruits as he had walked over to the female orc, the juicy things tended to do that to him.

Still smiling at the cook, Scottie spoke with a cheery tone to mask his nervousness.

"I'm Scottie by the way, it's nice to meet you Mor. I can't wait to taste your cookings."

He offered no handshake, harpies didn't really do that due to the obvious lack of means to do it. Shaking hands with a feathered wing felt kind of awkward. Though that didn't mean he meant to be rude even though some people had assumed that in the past. The harpy wasn't lying with his words, he was actually curious as to what kind of a cook the orc was.

Okami was in the middle of the port, his enhanced senses aware him the presence of most of the crew in the ship, "It's almost the time", he said to himself as he headed to the ship, he finally reached the stairs that headed to the interior part of the vessel, as he walked he noticed the new members, the lizard-man and the orc; maybe with this was going to be enough for him to accomplish his mission. He went with the captain, "I think that this should do it", he said.

She grinned, well he seemed just as nice. Mor bowed to him. "Well Scottie I promise not to disappoint." She closed up the sack and pulled it back over her shoulders and turned to the captain, "yes that would be very good." She walks over to him and followed him down into the ship. Hopefully the kitchen wasn't too small and cramped, she really hated cooking under those conditions.

Darcia tried to kept herself from bursting out. Bird?! BIRD?!, well yes only for 50%. The other 50% she wasn't not that the lizard man would have known. But the way he said it felt more like an insult. She had been insulted many times before but for once she was stepped on her toes. She didn't want to make trouble but she just wouldn't accept to be called 'Bird' the rest of the journey "Darcia.. The name is Darcia.. I'd like you to call me that instead of insulting me by bird" She tried saying as calm as possible. "Besides as you might have noticed I'm not like other Harpies.." As she lifted her arms up. Unlike normal Harpies she didn't have feathery arms or claws she just had normal arms and hands. "So yeah.. Bird wouldn't really fit anyway"

Scottie smiled slightly at Mor's back as she went to follow the captain below deck, she surely didn't seem like a bad person for an orc. However, the smile was wiped off of his face as he overheard Darcia ranting at the scaly face. He hadn't meant to eavesdrop in all honesty, sometimes you just hear things you're not supposed to.

To the male harpy, it sounded like the female thought she was 'special' and better than him and the rest of the 'normal' harpies. Perhaps she just worded things badly and those weren't really her thoughts but the male still found himself looking down at his wings. He didn't know whether to be sad because of the females's words or to be angry at her. In the end, he decided not to say or do anything that would imply he had heard Darcia's remark. He still had a bit of thick skin left on him to prevent such comments from having too much effect on him. He loved his strong wings and no one could make him feel bad for what he was.

Darcia noticed Scottie's change in emotions. 'Whoops...' Darcia once again net her anger get the best of her. She quickly turned to the male. "No offense ment... Your wings are amazing and probably stronger then mine.." which was true because her arms and wings were apart she had less strength in them. "You see.. I'm a hybrid so I only have half the Harpy bloodline"

The Captain stepped into the opening and walked down the way. He lead Mor to her Kitchen-room. It was open, with a hearth in the middle. an opening above it leading to a porthole out the side of the ship. Shelves filled with exotic spices lined racks, an icebox of metal sat in the corner, holding fresh fish and meat. Hanging from a rack were pots, pans, and other utensils of all sizes. Finally, in the corner sat a walled off section with a bed and night stand, similar to the one in the medical facilities. A few rooms back, there was the crew's quarters. In it were a few beds, but mostly hammocks strung between beams. In a few spots were cupboards and drawers which had spots to engrave names. Each one had a lock and a key for it inside. "Well here we are. Varsh, your quarters are over there." He says, pointing to the crews area. "Just pick a bed and claim it. If you got anything personal you want kept safe, take one of the drawers or cupboards. As for you Mor, this is your kitchen and room. Plenty of space to work and lot's of things to work with. Do enjoy." He saw Okami tell him they were about ready. "Fine by me, we do have a good size crew now. And while they don't really look it, I think they'll be able to fend for themselves." The Captain steps out and on to the deck. "All right boys and girls. It's time. Untie the sails! Pull in the plank! Unhitch The Serpent! We leave within the hour!"

Dale sighed, leaning his back against the wooden beam supporting the jetty overhead. It was his favourite place to be, under the jetty. The view was lovely and he was alone. He could see for miles and could tell when a ship was being docked and what it was. All of the local boats he knew by heart along with most of the other ships that imported and exported supplies. Right know, the SS. Agitator warship was docking to be restocked, ready for training more of the militia out at sea. There was a time where he imagined himself fighting along with them in any war that might come, but he decided against it. Besides, he wasn't that great at fighting anyway. Now he just worked in his mother's tackle shop, selling bait to fishermen and help maintaining ships. How boring.

Dale huffed, hearing his mother's voice calling for his help. He had decided to take his break under the jetty to have peace and quiet. well, maybe he had been the longer than he thought. Getting up, he brushed the sand and muck from his pants, stretching a bit. He then started up the bank, his Mum calling yet again. "I'm coming, I'm coming," he called back, waving from across the street. Liza nodded, turning and walking back into her shop, holding the door so that her son could enter. "Ice box needs fixing again, could you take it to the mechanics for me?"

"Yes, mother," Dale replied, walking over to the ice box and pulling it away from the wall so that he could under the clips keeping it together. Once undone, a puff of smoke flew up into the air, making the man cough. "Mother, how long has it been since this was cleaned," he complained, lifting the machine-like box over his shoulder and smiling at her.

"Not since you were born, now hurry up," Liza replied, smiling, "And be safe!"

"I will, I will," Dale muttered, walking out the back dorr and towards the mechanic shop. His mind was once again on the SS. Agitator and how beautiful it looked on the water.

Rengi grinned, pushing her queen into the next square. "And that would be check mate. Again. Do you wish to go another round or do you want to pay me now?" she asked, tilting her head, her read hair falling onto the board. the man in front of her muttered under his breath, throwing the bag of money onto the table and storming off, almost knocking over the table as he did so. The girl giggled, taking the money and counting what was inside. A little short of what was promised, but it was enough for food. Ah well, she could always try someone else later, maybe even a wrestling match this time. Sighing softly to herself, she stood, gently packing away the pieces of her chess game into its box and packing it away in her bag. "Next stop, food!" Rengi chirped, swinging the bag onto her back and pocketing the money.

Picking a direction, the red-haired girl started down the road, humming along as her eyes were transfixed onto the sight ahead. Origin point was a lovely place and she was glad that she had chosen to come to such a well known city. Maybe she could sneak onto a boat and head home afterwards, tell her siblings where she had gone. Yeah. That sounded like a good plan. Maybe if she worked hard enough, she could get enough money to actually buy a ticket. That thought made her laugh. Tickets tended to be worth more than her daily food, and even then, money was sometimes hard to come by.

Charlotte sat at the edge of the boat swinging her legs as she looked out into to the ocean. The wind ruffle her messy brown hair as she breathed into the salt. She looked down at the water below her feet. It was a far way down but, she was used to taking risks and wasn't afraid of anything usually. She cocked her head to the side. Were those dolphins? She'd never seen one up close. She leaned forward blinking. She'd studied dolphins back at her packs territory before she became the on the run Alpha she was now. Dolphins were really smart and loyal in some ways. They related to her in so many ways. They traveled in groups. There's a leader and in some situations, elders too. But this one dolphin she was looking at was alone. She felt as if it was trying to tell her something. She furrowed her brows. It was like herself in a way. Alone, Hurt, Abused. Maybe even cold-hearted. Charlotte remembered when she use to hate to hunt as a wolf because she didn't like to kill the little animals/ But, now she wouldn't hesitate to snapthe neck of one of her own pack mates.

Her stomach growled. She was starved. She turned her legs back into the ship as she stood. As she walked towards the kitchen Confidence, Dominance, and Power leaked off of the lone rogue Alpha. Now that she hadn't a pack what would become of her? A cook? She walked past all the movement around her in silence as she entered the kitchen and began her search for food.

@Zackymas

Varsh nodded at the captain as he left for the deck to lead in the preparations. He walked to the furthermost bed in the sleeping quarters from the entrance and sat his bag on the mattress. Thought he expected the bed on a ship to be very firm to the point of being stiff, he doubted one of the hammocks could support his weight. Plus he would be very angry if he fell out of the hammock at night. He grunted and opened his pack to take what little he had out.

The first thing was a wooden box with adorne with ivory corner covers and a wood-burned mural of what looked like two lizard men carving and gutting several reptiles, bugs, and fish. A snake was the largest animal depicted in the mural. This was Varsh's box where he kept all of his tools for poison making and the only personal belonging besides his cleavers and the clothes on his back that he was allowed to take from the lizard man sanctuary. Looking inside the box one would see things like a small knife, a mortar and pestle, several different glass jars each with various liquids ,and very primitive tweezers amongst other things. "Everything looks fine." he said closing the box and placing it in one of the cabinets closest to his bed. The next item was a strange necklace that was covered in gold, bone, and emeralds. This necklace would placed on young lizard man who had passed a ceremony of adulthood in the sanctuary and would be hanged in the sanctuaries' main tent as both a symbol of pride and as way to keep track of the number of lizard men in the sanctuary. There would be different ones for men and women, but each would be crafted to be unique to that lizard man alone. Traditionally, a necklace would only be removed if a lizard man were to die where then the necklace would be destroyed in a ceremony of fire, but since Varsh was banished, his was forced back upon him. Whether it was another reminder of what he once had or it was a way to get some gold for the world outside of the village he was uncertain, but was in his possession one more.

Other things in his pack were standard for a wandering warrior to have with him. Whetstones, Charcoal and paper, Dried Meat, Rope, a bottle of Lizard man made liquor, all of it standard; thought one item in his back caused the warrior pause. A book that was given to him right after his banishment. The book itself was not made of the finest craftsmanship and some of the pages were not bound properly in the book, however the memory of who gave it to him was most important right now. When Varsh had saved the lizard men refugees from the slavers one of the captives was a lizard girl that appeared to be in her early teenage years. Varsh never bothered to ask her age. The girl seem to gravitate towards him after the rescue and would always tell him about how she would one day become a Griot of a the village, or what the humans would call a story teller; one who would learn and tell the ancient tales of her people race. From epic tales of heroes, to cautionary tales of folly, it was her role in life to chronicle the history of the lizard men. As Varsh had just lost sight of the what remained of the village behind him, this girl desperately chased after him to give him this tomb. Apparently the girl was making it in secret as a thank you gift for saving her that day, but Varsh himself was still under the stinging influence of shame and anger and only had taken the book with him after he scared the girl off. He hadn't looked at the book since. Looking at the cover, the only thing there was on it was a symbol of two snakes intertwine around the moon. It was ancient symbol that was used by the Griot's to symbolize heritage and memory. Varsh was confused. Had the girl made him a journal? "Hmph...she should have known I am a man who's about the here and now." As if to compound this fact, Varsh tried hard to remember the young girl's name, but he was unsuccessful. He could remember the girl's face clearly, but not her name? Varsh just shook his head and placed the book in his cabinet before going back to his pack.

Status
Not open for further replies.