The Siren's Song [ IC ]

Status
Not open for further replies.
At first, the surprised reaction Scottie got from the dwarf startled him slightly but he was soon trying hard not to laugh as the other male ended up between the life boat and the railing of the ship, the situation was simply too comical. However, the harpy's smile was wiped off his face as the dwarf pushed the life boat slightly and a thud was heard. The sound got Scottie slightly worried but the short man seemed alright as he came back in sight so the harpy didn't want to start fussing over nothing.

"Uh, sorry. I didn't mean to..."

Scottie trailed off as he thought back to his actions. Surely, the dwarf wasn't the only one who he had startled over the years. He had always been good at moving with little sound and he often forgot to take the people around him into consideration. He'd have to start paying more attention in the future, he didn't want the crew hating him because he snuck up on them.

The harpy carefully swiped his right wing on the surface of the hull of the life boat as he listened to the dwarf. Scottie didn't really know much about boats or sailing in general but he could comprehend what the other meant nonetheless, the more confusing stuff probably came later.

"Uh-huh, you seem to know this stuff well for a dwarf."

To tell the truth, Scottie hadn't expected a drawf to seem so experienced with sailing and the sea so he didn't notice he was actually being a bit rude by his remark. He didn't mean to be a douche, he was just confused and interested at the same time which resulted in him not paying attention to what he was blurting out.

It was nearly a week of walking through the plains and along the coasts of Derneria, living off the lands many bounties and sleeping under the stars, but at the sunrise of the 6th day Varsh had made it to Origin Point. Immediately Varsh was hit with a sense of unease when he stepped through the gates of the port city. Many of the inhabitants who saw him made hushed murmurs about him as he pasted. Some of the more stupid folk thought he was a small dragon trying to pass off as a human or went to hide from him as he passed. Other townsfolk knew that he was a lizard man but noticed something was off about him. "Where is his tail?" He heard a child say who was gawking at him from a fruit stand, his mother quick to hush him. The mark of his shame still burn at his pride but there was nothing he could do about it now. Varsh continued towards the point, trying to shut out the noise around him till he got there.

When he finally reached Origins Points ports, the place was full of docked ships and sailors gossiping to themselves like childeren. Each group was different but each were talking about how they were counting there blessings that they were docked and not out at sea right now and laughing about there night before at the ports Tavern. Varsh scoffed to himself at how the cowards could celebrate when there is glory is to be had. However, one group of sailors were talking about something else. One sailor was joking about how one ships on the port was turning to a god damn zoo with how the crew was accepting any freak on its ship. Harpys, Orcs ,Dwarves, and everything in between was all flocking towards this one ship. Considering that Varsh would more likely kill the entirety of all these other crews before he could convince them to get their asses out to sea, Varsh's best bet would be to join this odd crew.

It took some searching, but eventually Varsh came across the ship with its unique crew. The harpy boy and the Dwarf arguing loudly was a dead giveaway to him. For the longest time, he just stood and observed the crew of this ship moving about and Varsh could only think to himself that this crew was much smaller than he expected for a crew that hoped to slay sea monsters.

"Aye boyo, I've been living on the sea since I was a pup." If he took offense at the comment he didn't show it because he wasn't offended. Most people didn't see dwarves outside of their more common occupations as blacksmiths, merchants, or mercenaries. Dwarves were usually vehemently against anything that took their feet off the earth.

"My clan is an odd one for sure." He then went about double-checking the knots on the life-boat. "We're carpenters and ship-wrights living in the cliffs north of the Grand Sea. Best there is at what we do." Before he could say much more, he noted a figure staring at them from the dock. A lizard-warrior, dressed for travel and battle, missing his tail. The dwarf looked at the warrior from his position on top of the upside-down life-boat, and glanced about for the captain. He saw that the man was in conversation with the woman who had come aboard earlier, so he decided to lean over the railing to engage the creature. Beforehand, he said to the harpy, "Why don't ye test out these knots while I talk to the scaled one there. Put yer foot on the boat to keep it from movin' and tug on the lines. If ye get any slack or they come undone, ye tell me."

He then looked back at the lizard creature and said "Ye lookin' for employment, lizardfolk? I don' suppose ye know how to sail at all."

"Aye, I would say so." Reneth said in reply. Not waiting for an answer she hoisted her trunk a bit higher up on her hips and made her way up the gangplank. It had been a fair while since she had last been on a ship and she found that her sea legs were not quite what they used to be. However by the time she made it to the deck her steps had steadied and her gait regained the confidence it had had when she had been on solid ground. Standing before the Captain she fixed him with a contemplative stare, her lone eye measuring up the man who would be leading them out to sea, possibly to riches, more likely to their death. Whatever she thought and whatever she saw seemed to hit some kind of balance for she gave a small shrug and turned her attention to the ship itself. She liked the look of the vessel itself better than the crew, it was an impressive sight and at least on the surface it looked some care had been put into it. Mentally she chuckled, perhaps if nothing else the ship would make it back to port leaving their lifeless bodies to sink to the bottom of the ocean, her sense of humor had become darker over the past few years.

"Anything I should know before I settle in?" She asked returning her gaze back to the Captain. Truthfully she was just getting tired of carrying her trunk upon her hip and hoped that there was no list of rules that she would be expected to listen to. And even if there was at least she could get it over now. As she waited for an answer she heard something at the very edge of her hearing, like somebody was trying to whisper something into her ear. Ignoring it in favor of the Captain she rubbed her ear as though trying to rid herself of the voice, thinking it nothing more than that of a sailor who's voice was being carried farther than normal on the wind.

The Captain heard her ask about anything she needed to know. "I've only got three rules on this ship. 1. Don't Kill anyone. 2. Don't Eat all the food. and 3. Don't leave anyone behind. Aside from that, treat the Serpent with respect, and we'll get along beautifully. Now, how about I show you your sleeping and working quarters?" He opened a trapdoor leading below deck and gestured inside.

Varsh's idle thoughts were interrupted when the dwarf on the ship called out to him. Looking up at small man, the dwarf looked to be a hardy fellow with the look that this trip out to sea was defiantly not his first. Exuding a certain sense of manliness that could not be said about the harpy boy he was talking to before. Perhaps the dwarf shares the same craving for glory that Varsh has.

"Not anything bigger than a row boat dwarf." Varsh said answering the dwarf's question. "Is your captain on board?"

Darcia popped on to the ship as she saw people got onboard on it. "Hello" she said as she dropped her bags along with her weapon down and looked around taking the smell of the sea in.

Nodding, Scottie watched as the dwarf kept on checking the life boat, he sure was very thorough. However, the harpy's thoughts were elsewhere as he took in the other's words, he hadn't heard of such clan of dwarfes before. Though it was no big surprise either, he knew little of the world and it was actually his first time anywhere outside of Castinray. Not that he would be telling that to anyone, Scottie didn't want anyone regarding him as a child.

The young harpy was pulled out of his thoughts when the dwarf gave him a task with the life boat. Following the other male's gaze, Scottie spotted a man with scales on the dock, looking at them. The stranger gave him the chills, he seemed like someone who the captain would want on a journey like this instead of the unexperienced harpy. Tearing his eyes away from the odd man, Scottie put his mind on the task he had been given instead. Maybe he could be useful, at least just a little bit.

Placing his right foot on the hull of the life boat, the harpy gave few wing beats as he tugged at the first line with the other one. His wings were quite useless at such humane tasks but his claws were as good as human hands, to some extend anyway. Moving on to the second one, the winged male repeated the process, finding that one solid as well. However, as he was checking the third one. the line gave away just a little bit which caused Scottie's foot to slip on the surface of the boat. Before the harpy knew it, he fell on his back on the deck with a surprised yelp.

Karma was a bitch.

Darcia heard a yelp and walked in direction towards it seeing the male Harpy had taken a fall. "Are you okay?" She asked as she looked down at him "Not used on being ships that much I guess?"

The dwarf laughed a little at that. It was better than some, that was for sure. Then Carrn nodded to the lizard warrior, and said "Yes, he's on board, but he is showing another crew member around. Why don't ye come aboard and wait for him, if ye're interested in a position on this doomed expedition."

Then he heard the thump and looked at the harpy, cocking an eyebrow. The other Harpy creature was talking to the boy, and Carrn looked at her directly. "And you! What are ye doing just standing about! We have to be out of port today, and we've still got plenty to do!"

Darcia looked up as the dwarf spoke directly to her. "Aah apologies.." Darcia smiled slightly "I've been on boats before but not as big as this one. So I got a bit to excited I guess." she slightly scratched the back of her neck "But tell tell me what has to be done and I'll be right on it sir!"

At least the dwarf is not any illusion that this expedition is not a pleasure crew Varsh thought to himself. After he readjusted his backpack, Varsh walked up the gangplank onto the boat just in time to see the harpy boy falling on his back trying to pull one of the life boats up and another harpy coming to the aid. He furrowed his brow at the harpy pair and looked back at the dwarf. "Are they part of the crew as well?" he asked hopping to himself that the dwarf would say no. Varsh was a warrior, not a babysitter.

Mor looked around taking in the ship. It was pretty nice and the people seemed ok. She really wanted to knew where the kitchen was though. She had spent all yesterday buying food and stocking up on essentials like fruit and fresh water. She picks up the sack and yawns, maybe she should go look around and talk to her other shipmates. She was a bit shy though and wasn't sure people wanted to talk to an orc. Mor walks over to the edge of the railing and looks over into the water, it was nice day to set sail and she couldn't wait to explore the world.

Darcia heared the command the lizardman made towards her and felt a bit insulted. "Well yes, But don't worry no need to watch me big guy. I've been sailing on seas for 11 years now" she shoot right at the lizardman. Darcia turned her head away feeling she was about to burst and her eyes fell on an orc staring open at the sea with bags filled with food next to her. Darcia hopped over to her "Hello, you need any help with those?"

Scottie glanced at Darcia as she appeared seemingly out of nowhere, he hadn't noticed she was around. The male harpy shifted his eyes on the deck as he pushed himself into a sitting position, slightly embarrassed.

"Yeah, I'm fine."

Which he was, his back would be slightly sore for a minute or two but he had mainly just been surprised is all. His pride took the biggest hit and his hope of no one besides Darcia seeing his unfortunate mishap was crushed as he spotted the newcomer looking at him and the female harpy like they were children playing on their daddy's ship. Darcia was quick to defend herself before leaving them be. Scottie on the other hand, kept his mouth shut. The scaly guy wasn't wrong to doubt him no matter how much the harpy hated to admit it.

I the end, Scottie decided to ignore the lizard guy as he turned his attention back at the dwarf. Tapping the knot that had given away slightly with his foot, the young harpy spoke like absolutely nothing had happened.

"This one's a bit loose."

When the harpy-looking girl responded, Carrn took a quick look around and opened his mouth to speak...but she was already gone. He let out a sigh and said to Varsh "Aye, they are part of the crew. There's a decent-few others, but yes, most o' what we have is youngsters. And if that girl has eleven years experience, she must have started when she was a pup, because she can't be a day over sixteen or seventeen." He shook his head as Darcia approached the orc.

The green-skinned hulking creature looked a touch sad or grumpy. Then again, Orc's usually had a harsh mien to their face, so she could have been depressed and heart-broken but still give off the impression that she was ready to break a man in two and then eat his face (he'd seen an Orc woman do that once), so it was difficult to tell for sure. However, she wasn't his business, she was part of the crew. The newcomer wasn't.

"But the boat is sturdy, the captain is experienced, and I can keep the thing afloat myself if need be. So if ye know how to tie a knot and won't fall into the brine at every swell, we could use ye. Excuse me a moment." He then hopped off the boat and looked at the line the harpy boy had shown him. "Ah yes, improperly tied line." He untied it and said "Pay attention, feather-fingers, I'll not be showin' you this too many times more." He then proceeded to slowly tie the knot necessary for this kind thing, while speaking to the lizardfolk once again.

"If'n yer interested, best thing ye can do is to wait for the captain to return from showing the other one around. I heared somethin' about her being a doctor, so we got that goin' for us at least."

Charlotte was silent standing at the edge of the boat. She liked how the wind blew right there. She liked to feel free, and she was now that she'd escaped the clutches of her elder Alpha's. She let her hands rest at the edge of the ship looking down. Not too far away there were a few dolphins. She wondered why she was even here...she didn't have any knowledge of how to use a weapon. The only thing she could rally do was shift into a giant wolf. But that was a good liability. At least she could easily protect one of her fellow..what should she call them? Pirates? Sailors? Boat mates? She didn't care. She didn't know anything about boats but at least she was free. She hoped she could swim paling.

Mor sighed and turned from the edge..she was to be the cook and she did want to get to know everyone hmm. She swallowed her shyness and smiled, time to be open I mean a ship with no trust and strangers is just a hot bed for trouble. "Ah hello." She didn't say this to anybody in particular just everyone on deck really. "I'm Mor..and I'm going to be your cook. Now it's nice to meet all of you and please feel free to tell me your likes and dislikes of any food and please do tell me your favorite, I will be happy to make it for you." She had sweetened her voice as she talked to not alarm anyone and she smiled a little bit bigger, there nothing threatening or mean about what she had just said and she was sure she would get a positive response. "Also do any of you know where the captain wants to store the food and water?"

Charlotte turned to the lady greeting everyone. Nothing but welcoming warmth and peace leaked from her. She smiled for the first time in a while. She turned to her. "Im Charlotte but I don't mind going by Charlie." she laughed. "And im pretty sure that youre a great cook! Do you think maybe I could help as an apprentice? I have no use of weapons and my only weapon is being an Alpha and shifting but there's no use of that for thwe moment.." she flushed.

Darcia turned to the Dwarf "Sir to be correct I'm 19 years old. But I have indeed been on the sea for a long time" Then she turned back her attention to the Orc and the girl talking to the her "Nice to meet you Mor, Charlie! I'm Darcia. If you ever need any fish for cooking I could easily get some with or without my trusty rod."

Status
Not open for further replies.