The Sentence

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm getting a heavy "World of Darkness" theme from this RP. So I have to ask. What sort of "Equipment" is acceptable? Please PM me with the answer.

Apologies for the double-post, but I figured I would get my character up for review and possible approval.

MaleFighterRender.png

"Well... that was fun. Say, you got anything to eat?"

Name: Yanmei, Shotaro

Personality: Headstrong, impatient, and brash, Shotaro is not afraid to let others know what is on his mind. He's been trained to be better than others, trained to be the best. While respectful of those above his station as much as is to be expected, he tends to look down on those below him. Still, he will not readily do anything to disappoint his house or faction. To disappoint them would be to disappoint himself, and that is not something Shotaro is willing to do. The only exception to this general attitude is when someone is willing to feed him, as his abilities consume vast amounts of energy.

Theme Song: It Has Begun - Starset

Short Biography: While having a childhood typical of any "champion", Shotaro was taught to eschew most forms of weaponry. Weaponry, he was taught, can be taken away by others or lost in a fight. Even in the most secure areas of the city, they could not take away your hands and feet. There was sound logic in this, and he embraced his unarmed training. Sure, he was often battered and bruised. Sure, he had it hard. Hell, there were some days he just wanted to quit and give it up. But he refused to submit to these weaknesses of spirit. He would become the champion that the Palace wanted of him.

After the age of ten, Shotaro began to train with simple melee weapons and thrown weapons such as staves, short swords, and balanced daggers. While less emphasis was placed upon this training than his unarmed combat training, it was better that he know how to handle weapons skillfully and safely than to encounter them and not know what to do. Many times, the young boy made mistakes and paid the price. His body has a number of scars from mishaps that occured during his weapons training.

After a few more years, it was determined that he was at a level acceptable of a Palace Champion. His abilities had surfaced and been nurtured, his unarmed prowess was undeniable, and his skill with melee and thrown weaponry was substantial. While he had never had more training with high-powered projectile weapons beyond a simple safety course, his mentor figured anyone with half a brain could use a firearm or bow.

Still, this seemed to Shotaro like a bad time to be a champion. All he had done lately is visit the farmers and craftsmen that contributed to his district and house, occasionally hand out a trinket or two as a show of favor, and generally perform tasks that would be better suited to a non-champion. He understood that The Palace was trying to improve their public image... but why couldn't they have someone else do these sorts of things?

All in all, he is somewhat conflicted. His devotion to his faction is undeniable, but the frustration he feels with them might soon outweigh his allegiance. Only time will tell.

Faction: The Palace

Stats:

Might: 3
Finesse: 4
Fortitude: 3
Health: 3
Speed: 5
Perception: 2

Abilities:

High Tension - Shotaro can choose to flood his body with up to three times the adrenaline most people could even tolerate. This leads to his reactions being faster, his strikes being more powerful, and his overall fighting ability increasing in proportion to the amount of adrenaline he forces into his system. There is of course a drawback to such a potent ability. First of which, this is a short-term boost lasting no longer than a minute. At double the adrenaline, Shotaro's metabolism is accelerated after using this ability. This causes him to binge eat after using the ability to this level. At TRIPLE adrenaline, his heart rate stays high for a minimum of an hour, he becomes very short of breath, and his muscles ache tremendously. While repeated uses of this ability can briefly mitigate the negatives, doing so would have cumulative and likely fatal effects.

Scales with Fortitude

Can utilize up to Shotaro's maximum Fortitude in dice and roll for stat boosts. Results of boost grant bonus Might, Finesse, Speed, Fortitude, and Perception. At the end of the effect, Shotaro loses equivalent number of points of Fortitude as originally rolled. Cumulative.

Shivering Flame - Similar to his ability to heighten his speed and strength with an adrenaline rush, Shotaro can greatly increase the amount of heat his body generates. This is accomplished through a physiological phenomenon called shivering. Normally, one shivers when they are cold in order to generate body heat via musular action. Shotaro can 'shiver' so intensely as to cause the air around him to heat up to the point it shimmers, as if about to catch fire. Adults of good average fitness average between 50 and 150 watts of energy during vigorous exercise. Shotaro can generate much more power with this ability, approaching 15,000 watts. However, he can only maintain this ability for brief periods similar in length to his adrenaline rushes. This extreme shivering also has the effect of making blows dealt to Shotaro deal less damage, as the rapid oscillation of his body drains the momentum from incoming attacks at a much higher rate than normal.

Scales with Speed

Roll Speed to generate bonus Fortitude result which lasts during the duration of the fight.

Neural Shock - Similar to his other abilities, Neural Shock is just taking what the human body can normally do... and taking it to the next level. Nerve impulses are simply electrical signals, and Shotaro can amplify and redirect these electrical signals. In this way, he can electrify his strikes and any metal weapons he may be using at the time. While this technique is of significant voltage (around 250,000), the amperage is incredibly low (15 to 30 milliamps). As such this technique is not suited for killing a foe, but is great for stunning and slowing them down. This ability can be used in conjunction with and amplified by Shotaro's adrenaline rush for increased effect.

Scales with Finesse

Melee attacks by Shotaro have a chance at stunning the enemy for one turn, reducing their Perception and Finesse by 1. Resisted by Fortitude. Finesse scaling for this ability increase by +1 during High Tension.

Equipment:

Set of Plated Gloves/Bracers x 1
Telescoping Metal Staff x 1
Throwing Knives x 4 (Kept in concealed vest pocket)
Energy Bars x 3 (Recovery Item)
500ml Canteen x 1
Clothing shown in Character Appearance (Fire Resistant)

Last edited:
Reactions: Jakers
I can't decide what character I want to use. I found two ideally for this rp TWT someone choose for me.

Its either a aggressive Goetia woman:

armor-shield_00414306.jpg

Or a cunning Guardian:
anime-2-1.jpg

I can't decide what character I want to use. I found two ideally for this rp TWT someone choose for me.

Its either a aggressive Goetia woman:

Or a cunning Guardian:

Cunning Guardian, I think Goetia is the more populated faction so far.

Cunning Guardian, I think Goetia is the more populated faction so far.

7b1b36600a9788f48098c5051ec882937cac3d928654b086b1f614f4f0fc9d67.jpg

==========================================================================================

In other news, I rather like the character I put together. Admittedly, he's a rewrite of a character I have used before, but I rather like how he turned out. Hope the GM likes him.

• Thank You
Reactions: Azathoth
In other news, I rather like the character I put together. Admittedly, he's a rewrite of a character I have used before, but I rather like how he turned out. Hope the GM likes him.
My character is new for me, so I am anxious to discover how he writes.

Edit: Wrong RP, I don't have a character for this one yet.

Last edited by a moderator:
Of the accepted it's two Goetia, one for each other faction, and one unaffiliated.

Any chance that non-GMs want to give me some feedback on the character? I'm a sucker for opinions and feedback.

Any chance that non-GMs want to give me some feedback on the character? I'm a sucker for opinions and feedback.
I appreciate the consistent themes in his abilities, although I'm not sure how useful the second one is. And the first three adjectives of his personality are so similar as to appear redundant.

Reactions: Beta
One can be headstrong without being brash and/or impatient. Same with being Impatient while not being the other two, and so on.

The second ability is used to superheat his body and augment his strikes with that heat. It can also be used to defend against cold-based damage/attacks, as well as strikes (due to the rapid oscillation, as mentioned in the description of the power). It isn't a super-dangerous power, but it IS incredibly handy.

Still, I'm glad you liked his abilities. Sometimes its fun explaining unusual abilities through semi-scientific means.

Last edited:
Hmm, well, to add on to Azaroth's feedback, I feel like he should be a little mightier. 1-2 Might is your bog-standard guy, and Shotaro sounds like he's pretty stronk - so I would have guessed he would be about 4 on the might scale. That's kinda of an opinionated thing judged by the backstory and appearance though, if it messes with the planned statbuild of your character then pay no attention xD.

His skillset looks pretty good and balanced out. I like the idea of trading his energy/metabolism for boosts of power. Sounds like it would be cool for a 'final stand' kind of scene, where he basically sacrifices his life to become Chuck Norris to the power of Bruce Lee in his final fight.

Not much other thoughts other than I like his concept; I'm probably going to be disarmed of my battleaxe more than a few times if Halberd ever ends up fighting this guy.

Hmm, well, to add on to Azaroth's feedback, I feel like he should be a little mightier. 1-2 Might is your bog-standard guy, and Shotaro sounds like he's pretty stronk - so I would have guessed he would be about 4 on the might scale. That's kinda of an opinionated thing judged by the backstory and appearance though, if it messes with the planned statbuild of your character then pay no attention xD.

His skillset looks pretty good and balanced out. I like the idea of trading his energy/metabolism for boosts of power. Sounds like it would be cool for a 'final stand' kind of scene, where he basically sacrifices his life to become Chuck Norris to the power of Bruce Lee in his final fight.

Not much other thoughts other than I like his concept; I'm probably going to be disarmed of my battleaxe more than a few times if Halberd ever ends up fighting this guy.

I wanted to make him stronger, but the first character that was approved had a lot of 3s and 4s and was really well balanced.I didn't want to seem like I was copying that, so I kept him a little on the less powerful side and more on the speedy side. Not drastically so, but enough. I also figure with his training, that would all be more like... lean muscle as opposed to power muscle. Plus, with his adrenaline rush power being able to boost his strength and speed for a short while, I figure it'll make up for the lower might score, you know?

And yeah, you probably would. But seeing Hal's huge might score... Shotaro'd be hurting BAD when you finally did get a shot in.

gdi Suras this ooc is way more alive than Mahou >:[! *Shuns*

Free grizzly bear included! Come to think of it, Putin is actually ranked higher than Chuck Norris at Taekwondo; just putin' it out there.
Yeah, he's a Grand Master of Taekwondo.

@Asuras, how common are enchanted weapons, and what are they capable of? Also, how do characters join factions? Are they hereditary? Did I miss all this information in the OP? And could I get an example or two of how Perception is used?

*goes to reread*

Last edited by a moderator:
@Shattered♦Secrets™
1) There is no "faction army", only champions.
2) Regardless of being able to teleport, his Finesse indicates he'll never be "sneaky" in the slightest.
3) What is mechanical about his sword? What does the mechanism actually do?
4) What are the limitations on his teleportation?
1. I changed it to Faction Trained Champions
2. I made finesse 2, so he can be somewhat sneaky and the teleporting brings it up too. I didn't know we had to super literal, the power should at least be able to help him become a little sneaky.
3. I put it why it's mech and how it's mech.
4. He can only teleport to places he's been. So he can't like teleport to a different city, but he can teleport to all the boroughs, since he's been to them.

Status
Not open for further replies.