The Sentence

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not the GM, but if I had to guess from another game and just games in general, Perception is the ability to get a clue. It's how one would notice something out of the ordinary in one's surroundings, spot hidden traps, hear hushed whispers, notice someone or something hidden or sneaking, or otherwise gain additional or useful information about an area. Since it includes supernatural senses, it probably also has to do with detecting magic and so-on, as well.

• Thank You
Reactions: Azathoth
Not the GM, but if I had to guess from another game and just games in general, Perception is the ability to get a clue. It's how one would notice something out of the ordinary in one's surroundings, spot hidden traps, hear hushed whispers, notice someone or something hidden or sneaking, or otherwise gain additional or useful information about an area. Since it includes supernatural senses, it probably also has to do with detecting magic and so-on, as well.

Ding ding ding.

Goetia Name: Galina Raske (Public)

Palace/Birth Name: Sitara Qadir (Private)

Personality:
Outwardly dispassionate, but inwardly philosophical. The time that others spend talking Sitara spends daydreaming. Her shadowy attire and ever flickering eyes may give the appearance of a master assassin analyzing her surroundings, but that is not the case. She sees everything and absorbs nothing, because unless she is focusing her eyes often move faster than her perception.

Short Biography:
Sitara was the illegitimate child of an important family within the Palace, so she was sold to a Goetian couple for what her parents thought would be a dark experiment. As it turns out, the mages had been trying to start a family but one of them had proven to be infertile, and so they had been seeking an unwanted child to raise as their own. Although Sitara was told the truth of her birth, including her birth name, she didn't know whether her birth family had known she was still alive and after the First Sentence there was no real way for her to find out.

While she was raised by spell-casters, she showed only a limited aptitude for magic. What stunned her family was her speed and agility as a youth. She would often think of other children and people as "too slow," so she was a very impatient child. However, Goetia saw the potential in her for combat, and her parents conceded to let her be trained as a champion. Her masters were disappointed to discover that her prodigious speed and finesse were her only major talents, as years of training failed to give her much in the way of strength and fortitude, and simple personality was often the greatest hindrance to her perception. Still, she took naturally to the blade and loved to dance across the training fields dodging spell and sword.

The greatest blow she ever suffered was the loss of her adoptive parents after the First Sentence, and she has vowed to stand in the way of any other attempt to muster armies in her lifetime.

* * * * *​

Galina's hopes for her faction's future were shattered, literally and figuratively, by the destruction of the Madurn Sanctuary. Since then, she's discarded and delusions of her faction ever regaining its relevance in Drisbane. Although Natalya's refusal gave her pause, Galina accepted the offer to become a secret operative as a way to pass the time and continue her mostly aimless training. Over the last six months she has recognized the flaws in her skills, and has even modified her melee range by training to use a glaive, but after seeing the Guardian's "Blue Bolt" in action she cannot help but continue accelerating in the hope of one day catching up to her incredible speed.

Faction: Goetia

Stats:
Might - 3
Finesse - 9
Fortitude - 3
Health - 1
Speed - 13
Perception - 3

Abilities:

Flash Step: Sitara "blinks" to an unobstructed point on the battlefield within her field of view, moving so quickly that she leaves an afterimage behind her.

Drawbacks: Sitara cannot react at the speed she is moving, so she can only move in a straight line on relatively consistent terrain. This means she cannot appear directly behind an enemy.*1

Selective Gravity: Sitara can cast a spell that changes the direction in which gravity pulls her, walking on walls or the ceiling as if they were below her. Since she has trained with this ability extensively, vertigo is no longer an issue for her. In addition to manipulating her own gravity, Galina can now manipulate the gravity of people and inanimate objects (up to 200 kg) upon physical contact. The effect begins to weaken as soon as physical contact is broken, ending (maybe) five seconds after she loses contact, but if she holds onto the target the ability can last as long as her normal application.

Drawbacks: (1) The more often she changes gravity the more taxing it is for her. (2) She cannot slow gravity, so if she is too far away from a surface she will suffer the full damage from a fall of whatever distance she moved.

Challenge Fate: (Aiming really high here) Sitara disputes the results of an action that effects herself, causing a reroll of the dice. If there is no chance of success then a chance, however remote, is created. If she disputes receiving a wound and succeeds, the wound will heal completely and the weapon will rebound from her as if striking armor.

Drawbacks: (1) This can turn out even worse for her. (2) Only an effect can be changed, not an action. For example, if she steps on an unseen pressure plate then disputing her perception would be useless. If it worked, she would have seen the pressure plate then stepped on it anyway. (3) If she receives more than one mortal wound simultaneously she cannot dispute them both, this is an ability which can only be used rarely. (4) If she is killed instantly she cannot activate this ability.

Equipment:

• Dual katar, enchanted to shift and extend into pata.
  • Light, lacquered armor.
  • Smoke bombs.
  • Belt of five throwing knives.*2​

Edit 1: Without using the ability twice
Edit 2: Added throwing knives

Last edited by a moderator:
MOAR GOETIA.

MOAR GOETIA.
Sorry about that, I'm not feeling Palace and this character isn't feeling Aesil or the Guardians so her and I made a statistically unfortunate compromise.

@Asuras, how common are enchanted weapons, and what are they capable of? Also, how do characters join factions? Are they hereditary? Did I miss all this information in the OP? And could I get an example or two of how Perception is used?

*goes to reread*

Pretty common. Any champion with any sort of notoriety could either a) make their own, or b) Get someone else more skilled at enchantment to do the same.
Depends on the faction. Simply swearing allegiance to the Princess of Aesil and having some sort of name to yourself will get you into Aesil, otherwise you can be scouted for talent. Getting into Goetia can be voluntary, but generally also requires having significant skill. Palace is purely hereditary, or attained by being selected by someone already in. Guardians is purely voluntary; you ask to get in, chances are, you will.

Pretty common. Any champion with any sort of notoriety could either a) make their own, or b) Get someone else more skilled at enchantment to do the same.
Depends on the faction. Simply swearing allegiance to the Princess of Aesil and having some sort of name to yourself will get you into Aesil, otherwise you can be scouted for talent. Getting into Goetia can be voluntary, but generally also requires having significant skill. Palace is purely hereditary, or attained by being selected by someone already in. Guardians is purely voluntary; you ask to get in, chances are, you will.
Alright, thanks. That looks like it fits with my character so far.

1. I changed it to Faction Trained Champions
2. I made finesse 2, so he can be somewhat sneaky and the teleporting brings it up too. I didn't know we had to super literal, the power should at least be able to help him become a little sneaky.
3. I put it why it's mech and how it's mech.
4. He can only teleport to places he's been. So he can't like teleport to a different city, but he can teleport to all the boroughs, since he's been to them.

2. Thing is, whenever he wants to be sneaky, using a spell or not, it will scale off of his Finesse. So no, teleport won't really help him that much. What it can help with moreso is mid-fight, teleporting somewhere else and forcing people to roll their Perception stat.
4. Well apparently it does mean he can teleport to another city, given he's been to another city in his lifetime. I'm gonna say no on this teleport power, given said "limitations". "Somewhere he's been" is too vague anyways, since I'm assuming you'll probably intend to have him teleport to an exact position in space that he's seen, rather than stood on.

Reactions: MadKingJai™
Sorry about that, I'm not feeling Palace and this character isn't feeling Aesil or the Guardians so her and I made a statistically unfortunate compromise.
Nothing to apologize for, just barely relevant post on my end. I don't particularly care about balancing faction numbers.

Nothing to apologize for, just barely relevant post on my end. I don't particularly care about balancing faction numbers.
I like balancing things. It is rare for me to act outside of the interests of balance like this.

@Beta Looks fantastic! Shotaro is accepted.
@Azathoth Since her speed is her forte and has such a high value, granting all 8 points to another stat seems a bit too useful. It completely negates, for example, her lack of Might (or any other stat for that matter, and if she's already up close to someone, the lack of speed doesn't matter much). If you want to continue using this ability (which, btw I don't think fits very thematically with her), it'll need to be something like, "Half of her speed points".

@Azathoth Since her speed is her forte and has such a high value, granting all 8 points to another stat seems a bit too useful. It completely negates, for example, her lack of Might (or any other stat for that matter, and if she's already up close to someone, the lack of speed doesn't matter much). If you want to continue using this ability (which, btw I don't think fits very thematically with her), it'll need to be something like, "Half of her speed points".
No problem, I have another ability idea which I'll try out. Is that the only problem, or are there more things I need to address?

No problem, I have another ability idea which I'll try out. Is that the only problem, or are there more things I need to address?

That's my only problem. Otherwise she looks gr8.

That's my only problem. Otherwise she looks gr8.
That's good to hear! I replaced her second ability, and I'll leave how often she can use the third to your discretion.

Last edited by a moderator:
Cool. New ability is fine. Accepted!

Added in a list of important NPC's just above the accepted characters list. More to come.

So, a quick question. Through the course of the RP, we will be able to increase our base stats by training and/or a 'level-up' kind of esque? Or will our stats be the same throughout the RP until death do us part?

They will have chances to increase. Most likely I'll be telling you, "Hey you can increase your character's stats by X," after a battle or somesuch.

Status
Not open for further replies.