The Sentence

Status
Not open for further replies.
I know I've got several more players already preparing CS's, and the potential for more players. I will not limit the number of spots available, but I will cut off the submission date at this Saturday at 12:00 PM US Pacific time. Any submissions not finished or submitted after then will not be accepted.

I know I've got several more players already preparing CS's, and the potential for more players. I will not limit the number of spots available, but I will cut off the submission date at this Saturday at 12:00 PM US Pacific time. Any submissions not finished or submitted after then will not be accepted.
I should be able to make that deadline. However, I have one question that I can't seem to find the answer to. Since their will definitely be character deaths would it be allowed to have more then one character at a time, or one character until their death at which point then we submit another?

Only one character at a time. If they die, I'll allow you to submit another one (if I like how you played. :wink:).

Only one character at a time. If they die, I'll allow you to submit another one (if I like how you played. :wink:).
Oh my that's ominous XD. Alright then time to get to work.

Making my CS now!

Hey Zombs o/

I don't really have an idea for another character. I made this one with a single guiding principle in mind. "Do not join with the idea that your character will live forever," and assuming I was going to die anyways made my character much more interesting than usual.

Alright. So I wanted to simulate a mock battle between NPC's so that everyone planning on participating can get a feel for how things will work out in this roleplay when it comes to fighting one another. While this will be one v. one, I will also clarify some tidbits of information on other battle-things at the end of it. Here I will portray two different "players" and the champions they control.

Player 1 will be named "Bob" and will control "Knight", a champion of Aesil. These are his stats:
Might - 5
Finesse - 2
Fortitude - 4
Health - 4
Speed - 2
Perception - 3
He will have a variety of light-based spells and fights with a sword and shield.

Player 2 will be named "Mary" and will control "Iaido", a champion of Palace. These are her stats:
Might - 2
Finesse - 5
Fortitude - 2
Health - 3
Speed - 5
Perception - 3
She will utilize a number of sword and maneuvering techniques and fights with a katana.

Our scene begins with Knight waiting at the entrance to a castle; he is guarding the place from a supposed assassin who is coming to try and kill its lord. Iaido eventually shows up, and the two exchange some words before retrieving their weapons (In Iaido's case, leaving it in its sheath). As they near closer and closer, one of them makes the first move.

Knight rolls Speed and earns a 4.
Iaido rolls Speed and earns a 22. Iaido gets to strike first.

Mary (player 2) writes out her IC post, stating that Iaido lunges forward and unleashes a quick-draw sword-strike upon Knight. Because of Iaido's special ability "Zephyr Strikes", her basic attacks get a bonus to Finesse if the target fails a Perception check.

Before Player 1 (Bob) can post, I respond to Mary's IC post in the OOC by letting both parties know the results of the strike.

Knight rolls Perception against Iaido's speed due to her Zpehyr Strikes ability.
Knight rolls Perception and earns an 8.
Iaido rolls Speed and earns a 17. Iaido gets a +1 to her Finesse for the strike at hand.

Knight rolls Speed to try and dodge or block with his shield, and earns a 7.
Iaido rolls Finesse to try and hit Knight, and earns a 22. Due to the high rolls, she gets a bonus to Might of +1.
Knight fails to dodge the strike.

Knight rolls Fortitude to try and resist the attack's damage and earns a 19.
Iaido rolls Might to try and hurt Knight, and earns a 15.
The attack fails to penetrate his armor/skin, and Knight takes no damage.

Now Player 1 (Bob) can respond to Mary's post, making sure to include the results of the OOC rolls in his own post. Bob makes a post detailing how Knight failed to see the strike from Iaido coming, but his fancy armor saved him from being harmed. Knight retaliates by swinging his sword at Iaido after casting "Angelic Visions", which makes his next attack reduce the enemies Finesse and Perception if it hits.

In OOC, I roll some dice again.
Knight rolls Finesse to try striking Iaido and earns a 4.
Iaido rolls Speed to try and dodge and earns a 12.
Knight's attack fails to hit.

Once again, Player 2 (Mary) does her next IC post, maintaining the spirit of what transpired with the rolls. This continues until both players either agree to cease fire or a character dies. Due to the nature of this posting scheme, it is strongly encouraged that battles be taken to a collaborative post; as most attacks and actions will be relatively simple to write out, creating extremely short IC posts over and over seems a taxing venture and only serves to make a mess of the IC.

When it comes to taking the blow for another character you must declare/have several things:
1) Your character is geared towards intercepting someone else's blow at the time
2) If the ally were to be stricken, your character would be automatically controlled by me and placed in front of the attack to intercept it.
3) Your character must not be engaged with another opponent at the time.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Modifiers will be applied to characters depending on their status. Losing health, battling for a long time, being in certain terrain/environments, will all apply negative modifiers to your stats.
-Fortitude will determine how long your character can go back and forth before these modifiers are applied.
-Health points lost/Total Health will determine the severity of modifiers.
-Dark environments will cause lower Perception.
-Uneven terrain will cause lower Speed.
etc...

Using your abilities at their maximum exertion (or anywhere close to it) will automatically decrease certain stats temporarily until you rest.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If your character reaches 0 health, I'll be rolling a universal and set number of dice acting as "luck" rolls. If you succeed, your character will instead be at near-death an unconscious. Failure to get your character to safe place with medical materials available in time will result in death.

If you fail to obey the rules of the roleplay (especially in terms of battles), your opponent gets an automatic 1 health-point free hit on your character. Don't do it.

3) Your character must not be engaged with another opponent at the time.
Just a question on this point, couldn't you just institute a DnD-like "Attack of Opportunity" for opponents if you try to disengage like that?

A thought I had, on characters being dropped to zero Health. Would it be possible for another character to, if they're feeling merciful, declare they pull their punches at the end and deliver a knock-out, rather than killing blow? Completely at the discretion of that player, of course. So it is at best a means for all combat to not be lethal if one or the other party doesn't yield before then. And, well, presumably whatever circumstances the victor then places their captive in when they do come to will not be the best, so it's not like a loss wouldn't have consequences, just that they may not always be (immediately) fatal.

Yea that's perfectly viable as well, if you want to go the whole, "I can't kill such a good opponent," route. :P

Just a question on this point, couldn't you just institute a DnD-like "Attack of Opportunity" for opponents if you try to disengage like that?

I'm unfamiliar with DnD. You'll need to elaborate.

I'm unfamiliar with DnD. You'll need to elaborate.
Basically if your character is close to an enemy and does something that would leave them open and vulnerable, ie., trying to move pass them, they get a free attack on your character.

• Thank You
Reactions: Azathoth
Ah I see. Yes, you could do that as well... though I'd advise against it of course. :P

Basically if your character is close to an enemy and does something that would leave them open and vulnerable, ie., trying to move pass them, they get a free attack on your character.
Yeah, that.

lcBLc7J.jpg

"Please prepare."
Name: Aesil
Appearance: Aesil is 5'3, with a deceptively slim body. Her skin is marred with white lines, remnants of injuries that she had regenerated from, and this is especially prominent near her mouth. Nevertheless, her skin was pale to begin with, so most people don't notice that. Her eyes glow very faintly in the dark.
Personality: Aesil probably used to be a normal girl within the Goetia faction, with a healthy amount of interest in grim evil shit. At least, that's what she once was. After her…surgery, the girl came out as an existence that had a singular interest: eating. She is constantly hungry, her digestive system effective enough to completely break down and absorb whatever she swallows, and there really isn't anything else outside of her quest for food that defines her. Aesil is almost like that of an infant, though at the very least, she's smart enough to hold conversations and fight with her brain. Then again, she hasn't had much time to develop a personality regardless.

There is one flicker of hope for this otherwise boring individual though. She loves beautiful things, to the extent that she won't eat them.

Short Bio: Aesil used to go by another name, and used to have a nice, hipster-magician family. But that's irrelevant. For reasons that she does not know, for her own mind has been wiped clean of past memories, she became involved in a certain magical experiment within Goetia: that of creating a Champion, not training one.

They crossed her with a variety of animals, switched her body parts, altered her genes, a whole boat load of disgusting, painful things that left her a constantly regenerating mess, incapable of comprehending anything outside of pain, hunger, and darkness. Half the time, she was screaming until her vocal cords burst. The other half of the time, she was screaming even as her vocal cords were being stitched back together by her regenerative abilities. She did not understand anything, and could not remember anything. Everything she understand about the world came from the knowledge that was implanted into her head through magic, until Aesil wasn't even sure who she was.

For more than just a few years, she writhed, crawled, rolled, her body struggling to stabilize from all the transformations that she had gone through, and, when all that ended, she was given that hilariously ironic name: Aesil.

They brought her outside of Drisbane, wanting to see her in action, to see what sort of Champion the 14 year old girl was.

And, just like they wanted, she showed them, by biting out their throats and eating them all within five minutes. After all, she was hungry, and the pleasure of eating meat was something hardwired to her mind. With those consuming thoughts in mind, the girl headed back to the city, interested in more food.

What awaited her, though, was not food, but a procession of angels, decked in a brilliant light that Aesil could never be worthy of gracing. It was beautiful, so delicately beautiful and so utterly removed from her primal memories that she couldn't bear eat it, only stare and stare and stare, until they noticed a girl drenched in blood, looking at them like an abandoned puppy wanting a new home.
Faction: Aesil

Stats
Might: 7 + 1
Finesse: 12
Fortitude: 6 + 1
Health: 3
Speed: 5 + 1
Perception: 3

Abilities:
Beast of Goetia – Due to the magical experiments done to her, turning her into an hybrid of man and beast, Aesil has a host of unnatural biological 'improvements' within her. Her body, which is already strong enough to be considered that of a Champion, has been further strengthened, granting her +1 to Might, Speed, and Fortitude. Furthermore, as long as she has the energy to sustain it, this beast-girl is capable of regenerating from just about any injury, though she recovers the fastest from injuries to her face, bones, and teeth. Regrowing lost limbs still take more time than a battle would effectively give her though, and she definitely won't be recovering from a shot to the head or bisection. However, her body is capable of surviving without a heart, though she loses her passive buffs after her heart is pierced, as all her regen and bodily functions will be focused on regrowing her heart and keeping her blood flowing. Her bestial senses also grants her a strong resistance to most forms of illusions and mind-related powers, and her pain tolerance is extraordinarily high. Makes sense, considering how she spent the first few years of the experiments writhing in mind-breaking pain.

An interesting factor to Beast of Goetia is that, if Aesil is at full HP, she gets a single extra stat bonus in the category of Speed. As she continues to store up more energy through eating, while remaining uninjured, she will gain more of these extra stat points, distributed evenly between Speed and Might. When injured though, those extra stat points will quickly decay, as the energy reserves will be put to regeneration instead.

After merely four months of instruction underneath Rasoba, a Palacian Ninja, Aesil has surpassed him in stealth, as well as attained many physical techniques associated to the shinobi. Capable of hiding in plain sight, tossing all manners of projectiles, as well as attaining intermediate skill with martial arts, the Beast of Goetia has changed, from that of a berserking monster to a pure predator, striking only at the most oppurtune times, with the intent of killing in a single blow. Now, the Beast of Goetia is the Unknown Monster, a mixture of dozens of races taking the form of a human who's presence is impossible for normal beings to grasp.

Endless Gluttony – Following through with her bestial nature, Aesil's preferred combat style is taking bites out of pretty much anything, from steel to flesh to magic to…yeah, literally everything. She'll eat and eat and eat, and anything that she eats, regardless of whether it might be poisonous enough to kill humans or hot enough to melt flesh, will be converted into energy that will allow her to sustain the Beast of Goetia. The ability to digest and bite into anything is only part of Endless Gluttony though. The true usefulness of this ability comes from the different effects that are manifested when Aesil bites specific things, namely the flesh of other humans and the supernatural.

When she eats enough of a magical object or spell or psychic phenomenon, the entire thing will be dispersed, before sucked into her. Through this, all manners of barriers, wards, healing domes, and whatever else will be quickly destroyed if her feast is not stopped. And if your super powerful magical beam takes too long to set up…well, she might be finished eating it before you can even shoot it out.

When she eats a human or an animal on the other hand, not only will the obvious effect of doing damage happen, but Aesil will also be able to 'consume' a variable amount of their physical stats, buffing herself in the process. Also, meat is a much more effective energy source for her that metal and magic, so…mmm, delicious meal.

Moon-Biting Fangs – Probably the only true magic that Aesil is capable of using, Moon-Biting Fangs can be considered something along the lines of Space Manipulation Magic. With the limitation of the volume of the area having to be less than or equal to that of a small house, Aesil can designate any area within eyesight to become 'food'. After the area is designated, a model of that place appears in her hand, and, like a donut or an apple or a banana, Aesil can bite into the model and cause a proportional amount of damage to the designated area. All the matter and supernatural stuff within the area is consumed as well, being converted into energy and serving to further fuel her Beast of Goetia. While space manipulation spells of this scale would generally consume a crippling amount of energy, she can offset the energy costs through the energy she's gained via consumption as well.

Equipment:
Aesil wears the garbs of a ninja now, bearing a black kimono and spidersilk undergarments. Her breasts, which have developed at a surprising rate during the last few months, are bound by a sarashi. Countless hidden weapons are on her person, and yet, she never seems to be bothered by the amount of blades she carries. Alongside her throwing knives and her short sword, however, are also a mishmash of razor wire, vials of poison, caltrops, and smoke bombs. It's unknown where she hides all this metal, and even less known how she manages to stay stealthy and fast with all this weaponry...but Aesil manages to do it.

Of course, the real question is...would she even be able to use it well?

Last edited:
Am I wrong in thinking Goetia isn't really evil?

They're hipster magicians. Just that some of them are extra edgy and mad magi-scientists.

It's not definitively evil, no. But it's culture certainly allows for morals to be ignored where magic is concerned.

Status
Not open for further replies.