The place from which there is no return

• So many newbies lately! Here is a very important PSA about one of our most vital content policies! Read it even if you are an ancient member!
Status
Not open for further replies.
The words slammed into Gath's head like a brick. His followed his first panicked thought and called out Penny's name. Frantically he turned looking for her. He knew he had to find her and soon. There was no telling what Booker's Demon could and would do. Gath had already killed a man, and there are many things worse than simply killing a man.

"Let me out boy. I can help you by telling him to stop. You have to embrace me..." Gath's demon taunted from within.

"Deal." Gath said without thinking of his actions.

When the demon struck Gath did not go into a seizure like state like he had before. Instead he hunched over almost growling as the demon's essence filled the boy. Slowly Gath'd body began to change. His fingers became knuckled stubs with claws attached to the ends. His spine bulged out of his shirt showing its impression cleanly. Slowly a hideous and spiny tail grew from in between his shirt and pants, as though a weed would sprout out of a sidewalk crack. He grew in both stature and in bulk which left him a foot taller than everyone in the room.

For about thirty seconds nobody said a word about the monster in the room until the monster himself spoke.

"I'm here Penny. Too bad Gath can't save you now," The beast roared at the crowd. Then the demon began ripping into people out of pure and unbridled rage and bloodlust.

A small gasp. Whispers. Taunts, shouts, cries. Slowly, the hall flared in pure mayhem. Guards rushed, tossing people like rag dolls in order to reach the source of such chaos. People were flooding in and out, staff members were shouting orders, bodies were thrashed around and stepped upon. Monster, they shouted. It barely took a wave of a hand to bring two guards crashing down, the damage done by a true act of violence was tremendous. Booker took Penny back by the collar, holding her up for view.

"Gath, you fucking freak, here she is! Get your ass over here and fight me before she gets hurt!" He shouted, voice booming despite the shouts from the crowd. Penny was teetering on edge. Don't do it, don't do it, it's not- he's not worth it. You can't kill another living person. Stop, stop, stop!

Penny, with all the force a kid of her strength could muster, swung and kicked Booker. Where she struck, she wasn't aware, but it was enough to send him tumbling back and enough for claws to erupt from his fingertips and scales to grow on the side of his face. Enough for his eyes to burn in fury and clothes to rip from the sudden bulk; Penny could practically feel the heat radiating from him. This was a new kind of fear, one she hadn't experienced in a long time, at the very least. It made her skin crawl, her veins pulse, her knees shake.

She, in a sense, booked it. It only took a couple moments of running to see Gath, or what had become of him. Guards were bringing in guns. Asylums were prohibited from having them, but it wasn't as though they were abiding by any of the rules anyway. Guards were crawling all around him, but he didn't seem to be struggling. Penny stopped dead in her tracks when she saw him. Their eyes met. She staggered. Booker was hot on her trail, demolishing all that stood in his path.

"Gath," Penny whispered.

"Gath is gone girl!", The demon laughed as he stared her down. "Good luck getting him back bitch." After sneering his remarks at Penny the demon turned to Booker's demon. "I don't care for the sniveling little bitch, but you I will kill simply for the fuck of it."

The demon charged towards what Booker had become. For a couple steps he ran on all fours but then smashed his hideous fists into the floor and lunged to his legs. Both Gath and Booker's demon charged toward each other. A long clawed arm shot out into the crowd reaching one of the fleeing victims. With a lunge Gath's demon flung it threw the air towards Booker. The body of the lifeless corpse smashed into Booker's face while making a sick crunch as it broke against the Demons body. As Booker turned aside momentarily Gath leaped upon Booker's shoulders with his feet. Booker fell to the floor with Gath squatting upon his shoulders. Claws ripped out in fury on both sides of the fight as Booker struggled to get Gath off.

Booker flopped to the side and Gath came down with a loud thud into the tile floor. Several broke upon the weight of his impact. Gath rolled onto his back onto a squishy little person as Booker raked his claws after Gath's stomach. Gath tried to free himself but after several minutes of battering each other it seemed he would not.

"Watch your precious fucking Gath die now bitch," Booker roared out with rage as he glared at the small girl.

Penny stood with her eyes trained to the ground. Chaos unraveled around her, though the shouts didn't quite seem to reach her. She was muttering something. "Stop, stop, stop, stop," Was all she could muster. She felt almost disgusted that Gath's demon refused to acknowledge her presence enough to fight her.

Multiple guards tried to shove her aside, but her feet held steady. About half the patients had found an exit, the majority of staff were still attempting to calm the turmoil, though all their efforts were in vain. It was only until a lifeless body was thrown at her feet that she looked up and recoiled.

"Stop!" She screamed. It was the first time she'd raised her voice. Penny was sprinting, shoving aside people to get to where the two demons were battling. Impulse was swallowing her and her mind was clouding. Dirt conjured in her hands, and with an ailing thrust, she threw it at Booker. It wasn't much, but it agitated him enough to slip off Gath. She was heaving as Gath instinctively rose. Just when Booker was ready to throw another punch, Penny ran in front of Gath. Arms spread out wide in a protective stance, she stood in front of him. Penny's frame looked near comical next to the two brawling demons. Even so, she stood with all the fury she had in her, with every single bit of might, she held her arms firm. Her eyes burned into Booker's, and for the tiniest moment, he faltered. But only for a second.

"Who the almighty fuck do you think you are?" Booker scoffed, before tossing her to the side with a slash. He was holding back, she could tell, she was almost insulted. It hurt, shit, it fucking hurt, but she rose. Penny rose and tore her way to Gath, throwing her arms around his misshapen figure.

"Stop," She whispered. "Please,"

The snicker of laughter cascaded its way around the girl. Hadn't he already fucking told her? "Gath isn't hear bitch! He ain't ever coming back!" The demon roared into her face as he hunched over nearly smashing here against his body. Gath's arm reached out over her head as he straightened up. Slowly it began squeezing the girl against the blood and dirt smeared side of the hideous thing Gath had become.

"You cared so much for him and now you will die for the fucki... fuck....fucking....," But the beast couldn't finish his words. Slowly he crumpled to his knees while air hissed its way out of his lungs in a long exhale. The air that came out was foul smelling and warm. As he sunk down the beast slowly shed its hideous form until only a broken and weak boy was left.

A weak smile at Penny, who weakly clung to his head with her arms and chest, slipped across the boys face before he plowed into the floor with his head. That was the least of his worries for the wounds the demon had sustained him while fighting would surely be the end of him. After all even if he did have a demon he was just a boy without it.

"That is how it all ends for the piece of shit? He just fucking dies!" Mocked Booker as he starred at what had become of Gath and the girl who had tried to save him.

"Death isn't so bad," Gath chuckled into the floor before coughing several times and continuing. "After all there are things far worse than death."
As he spoke Gath took his right hand and dipped it into the puddle of blood from his wounds. With his index finger he traced out these words without looking: "Thank you Penny"

• Love
Reactions: Levy
Penny couldn't breath. As Gath rose, her feet lifted from the ground, arms crushed as they pushed against his heavy frame. She refused to acknowledge him as a beast. Yes, she was scared, she was downright terrified, but she was absolutely certain he wouldn't hurt her. He was a good person, she knew he was.

She was dropped to the ground onto unsteady knees, arms dropping as she gasped for breath, coughing and sputtering. Penelope drew a hand across her lips before she noticed Gath, a weak boy sprawled across the floor. He had changed. A quick glance behind her told her that Booker was in process of doing the same, ravenous claws slowly turning back into human fists.

"No," She whispered. "No, no, no, no, no, no," Penny scrambled towards him, hands cupping his beaten up face. She looked towards the pool of blood, his words, then back at him.

"Don't you dare leave me, Gathanian!" She said. Her ears were ringing. The guards and people stood still around them. "Don't you dare say that! Stop speaking as if you're dying- you... you're not.." She paused, her voice cracking as tears welled in her eyes. "You're not dying..," Penelope went to throw Gath's arm around her neck, trying to lift him up.

"Oh, how sickeningly sweet. You think he'll live?" He cackled, pointing an accusing finger at them. "You really are naïve, aren't you?" He sneered.

"Booker," She turned her head to look back the man who'd been responsible for this. Her voice was suddenly, almost eerily calm and collected. "If you try anything I swear to God I'm not responsible for what I do." Her eyes seared daggers into his with the look that he previously had, the look would undoubtedly make the King of the Underworld bow at her feet. It was uncharacteristic of her, her, bubbly Penny- which made it all the more threatening. She knew word of her killing a number of guards had spread, and as much she hated it, as much as she depsied herself for doing so, she needed to back her words up with something.

"Gath, it's alright. Everything is going to be okay, I promise. Please, hold on, hold on for just a little longer," she whispered into the nape of his neck.

"Don't just stand there, help me!" She commanded the guards, one of which immediately went to toss one of Gath's arm around her shoulders. No questions asked.

• Love
Reactions: Xorcist's Reaper
Gath was simply not there as he was drug towards the infirmary once again. This time it was different but the same. It was not a matter of a few broken bones but rather life and death that hung in the balance of his arrival. Would the people who ran this place even allow the survival of the boy? After all he was responsible for the deaths of several patients and guards today.

Two bloody streaks followed the tips of Gath's feet as they were drug. Several times the guard that assisted Penny with the carrying of the boy tripped and almost dropped the limp body she had propped on her shoulder. Penny caught the slack each time and kept on with a determined and worried expression the whole way there.

"You know they will help him. After all he will probably be one of the main fighters in the pit from now on. It's just how it will be," The guard tried to comfort Penny as they reached the infirmary and set Gath onto one of the beds. "Lets just hope they can do enough."

Reactions: Levy
Penny nodded, her head clouding in thoughts of what-if's and happenstances. She appreciated the thought of the guard's words, and had murmured a "Thank you," but her intent was elsewhere. At some point, the guard went to get the nurse, whom then proceeded to shoo everyone out of the room.

"Another one? It hasn't even been a full day yet!" She sighed, looking at the pitiful sight of the boy. "One of you, go call the medics from the hospital. We'll need more hands. Dear god, how on earth did you even get these?" She muttered, observing Gath under a wooden gaze.

Penny sat next to the door, slumped up against the wall. The rest of the day progressed as usual, nothing different. Eventually, she was forced back into her room. It took a few guards to hold her down and shove her through the hall, what with her kicking and screeching.

Gath woke up with several slow blinks into the bright light above his head. How many days had he been out after he had finally given in to the demon? How many dead and gone? These question swirled in his head. Then came the one he had been dreading. Did she still see him as the boy and not as the monster. He knew he had fucked up when he made the deal. He tried to do it for the right reason though didn't he? His whole reasoning was to save her, but instead he almost killed her.

"Sorry, Penolope," Gath whispered as his eyes squeezed shut. He had promised himself he wouldn't cry and he held true to it.

Gath had in reality been out for a week and a half. The medical staff had spent almost every hour of that time using the magic inlaid healing tablets to seal internal wounds and gouges in his flesh. Oddly enough they didn't have to fix any broken bones or his ribs again. However it was apparent his body would never quite look the same when he was bare. Scars wound their way all over his back and lower body. He had been lucky to avoid getting wounds on his face.

The guards were rough at worst and cold at best, they hadn't returned to their past vicious cycles of beatings and harassment, but they weren't exactly gentle with her. She appreciated their lenience, however. Beggars weren't choosers.

Every chance she got, she would ask to see Gath. She would draw out every visit as long as she possibly could without making too much of a fuss in fear she'd stir Gath awake.

When he finally woke, Penny had fallen asleep beside Gath during one of her visits, her head nuzzled between her arms which sat on top of the bed. She had requested to eat dinner in the infirmary, and after many, many refusals, they finally gave in to her relentless begging. On the table beside her sat an empty tray and a squished juice box.

Gath tried testing his limbs slowly after he calmed himself. First he started with wiggling his fingers, toes, and his hands. Then he tried moving all his limbs. When he moved one of his arms he touched something warm and squishy. It took him several prods to realize that it was a person. Gath had been poking her in her cheek. Surprisingly she hadn't awoken to the assault of prods from Gath's hand.

Without hesitation or thought Gath wrapped Penny's sleeping body into a hug. He pressed her entire body against his. At first he almost smothered her but quickly realized she might not be as ecstatic as he was. He released most of his grip, but he did not let go of her for over a minute.

"I'm so sorry. I didn't mean to do it. I shouldn't have made that deal with him."

Penny stirred a little when her air supply had been cut off. She gathered her consciousness, and upon the realization she was laying Gath's arms, she fluttered slightly. Only catching the tails of his words, she stared at his chest for a moment, processing.

"Gath? Why are you apologizing?" She asked, puzzled. She hadn't quite understood what had happened in the meeting hall, or what sort of deal he had made, but she could fit a couple pieces of information together.

"I'm the one who should be sorry. I-" she paused, her head sinking. "I just stood there and did nothing. I couldn't protect you. And now look at you- you're so hurt, and I couldn't do anything to stop it. I'm sorry."

"It wasn't..... I..... You.... Fuck it," Gath leaned in and planted a quick and unexpected kiss on her lips. He didn't know how to talk or show his emotions properly. All he knew was her cared for the girl and would gladly lay down his life for her even though they had only recently met.

Gath slumped back to the bed not knowing what else to do after the kiss. All he could do was hope she would understand what he meant by it. If she didn't Gath might have just ruined the only relationship he had in this building of the insane, gifted, and the unfortunate.

Before Penny could speak a guard burst into the room carrying a tray of food. "Heard the little fucking maniac was awake. You need to eat and get strong before you go into the pit. You might die, even though you don't seem to think its the worst thing that could happen," The guard chuckled as he plopped the food tray down on top of Gath's stomach before turning and leaving the room while whistling.

Penny blinked. Had she- did Gath just... She- he simpl- wh- she didn't- o-oh dear. Her thoughts were in a jumbled mess, even more stirred than they had been before. She was reeling, flustered, rosy-cheeked and wide eyed. Intimacy was indeed an old memory, but the closest to intimacy she'd danced around in the past was with her foster mother, who would plant kisses on her forehead before bed. And she wasn't entirely sure if what Gath had just done could be compared to motherly love.

The guard had distracted them enough for the discombobulated girl to recuperate. This had happened before, hadn't it? Gath was unable to communicate what he felt, for whatever reason, he simply couldn't do it. Penny understood. She knew what he meant, she knew it was his own way of telling her that he cared, and for whatever reason, forgave her. And that was all she needed.

"Mm, eat up Gath. I'm sure you're hungry after being out for so long." She smiled at him.

Gath followed her suggestion without hesitation. She was right about being hungry. He felt as though there might not be enough food in the entire building to slate his hunger. As Gath shoveled the food into his mouth, barely taking time to chew before he swallowed, Gath thought of what had just transpired between him and Penny. From her reaction, or lack of, Gath knew at the very least she had not taken offense.

"I made a deal with the demon," Gath said after he took a bite of some watered down mashed potatoes,"It turned me into a version of him I think. He said he would save you and I believed him. Booker had...."

Gath rolled off the bed onto his wobbly legs and ended up falling into a sitting position against the wall. He had taken the sheets from the bed with him in a desperate attempt to sturdy himself. Now he sat against the wall a mess of sheets and food. Several times he tried to get before giving up.

"Where is Booker? What happened to him?" Gath asked with a serious expression. "He didn't hurt you did he?"

Penny considered this. He had made a deal with a demon for the purpose of saving her and had almost died in the process. Hell, she almost died from worry. She laughed a little as Gath struggled to steady himself upon the masses of sheets and tray.

"Oh dear," She went to sit beside him, helping him flatten out the sheets. She paused for a moment upon his query, hesitant to tell him.

"Oh, no- well, yes, but he didn't- it isn't that bad, it's nothing compared to what you've suffered. Don't worry," Penny told him, stumbling over her words. "It's alright. I'm alright. See? I can move around just fine." She stood up and walked around for emphasis, before plopping back down in front of him.

Gath watched her as she marched around the room. She seemed to be able to move easily enough. He smiled at her ash she plopped unceremoniously down in front of him. She was alive, unharmed, and she didn't hate him. Today was shaping to be a better day than those that had passed.

"Don't be getting all cheery on me now. I didn't go anywhere boy." The words crossed through his head with out warning and for a moment shattered his little ray of enthusiasm.

"Yes, you may still be here but I am in control for now," He responded inwardly with a bitter hatred.

Gath reached his hand up to his chest. His fingertips rubbed against the fabric as his hand moved across the blood stained thing. It was all dried since he had worn the same clothes for several days. The stains were left over from the blood of sealing the last of his wounds upon his chest. His hand hovered over the largest of the stained splotches before clutching the fabric in a tight grip.

"We need to get out of here," He whispered as he leaned in close to Pennelope's ear. "I can't let them bring him out again. I just.... he can't come back out."

Gath leaned back against the wall and smiled at here. One never knew who was watching.

Penny nodded in spite of the chills that ran down her spine. She noted his discomfort and hesitance at his wounds, gently nudging his tray towards him to continue his meal. After a few moments of him eating and Penny thinking, she laughed a little to herself.

"Remember the first time we met? I fell on you and broke your ceiling in the process. Did I ever tell you why I was in there?" Penny paused, simply reminiscing. She leaned into him, whispering "I was trying to escape." Leaning back, she smiled. "Hell, I have been for as long as I could remember. Once, I saw a garbage truck through a window and in a brilliant moment of thought association, I jumped out the window and tried to land in the garbage. I didn't quite make it. Don't worry though! I only came out with a few broken limbs. This other time..." Penny continued, rambling with a bubbly spirit. The entire staff of guards were aware of her antics by now, so it she was fine with speaking out loud and make gallant gestures.

"Ah, but Gath?" Penelope looked at the boy tentatively, her tone of voice suddenly dropping. Quiet.

So she tried to escape on a regular basis then? He thought back to her falling out of the ceiling. As he pictured her falling onto his sleeping body his hand went to where her knee had broken his ribs. It couldn't be done though. Gath weighed more than she did and she had fallen through. It was an impossible task for the both of them to crawl through the vents together.

Gath's eyebrows raised as Penny stopped talking. He tried to guess at why she stopped talking.
"I can't make it through there Penny. I weigh too much," Gath chuckled at the thought of himself falling on someone else. "Can't you just re arrange the floor?" He asked as if it were going to be that simple.

Penny laughed a little at his antics, smiling a faded smile. "Thanks for you input, but I wasn't going to ask you to crawl through the vents with me. Lord, I wouldn't with that upon anyone." She shook her head, straying from her point.

"But, I digress. Gath, I don't think," she paused, hesitant, anxious. Leaning in closer to him, she didn't want any nearby guards to catch her. "I'm not sure if it's a good idea to try to escape.. I don't- I've... Gath, I've been in here for years and nothing has worked. I don't.." She choked on her words. "I don't want to hurt anyone else." Drawing back, she looked at him intently.

Status
Not open for further replies.