The Midnight Train to Nowhere

• So many newbies lately! Here is a very important PSA about one of our most vital content policies! Read it even if you are an ancient member!
Status
Not open for further replies.
339jevs.png

8wThlM6.png

Kitchen

"I think so," Harper waved the hyperactive blonde goodbye before returning his attention to the bowl of eggs. Ace and Leila had been dragged out of the kitchen and now it was up to him, Ran, and team love birds to help Sacha. "I'm not much of a cook really, though I can make some pretty good spaghetti." Sacha asked if someone could cut up the fruit and Harper volunteered for the job. Taking the knife from the counter, he got to work.

"Rainbowzilla, no. Bad lizard, bad." Luke yanked the tiny lizard off one of the tables. The little fella had only been there for a moment, but had successfully managed to stuff five apples into his mouth. The tiny lizard flailed and whine, but Luke picked him up and tucked him into his jacket. "Sorry 'bout that, roomie. I'll go get the food to the others." Taking two other dishes into his hands, Luke made a beeline for the table in the living room. He waved when he noticed Gary and Nums talking, the latter looking quite serious.

Apparently, he was thinking about heading out with the riders too but was more uncertain than anything else. Luke hoped Numair would stay, losing a bro would suck. Plus, someone needed to keep Gargar in check and that someone sure as hell wasn't going to be him.

2889r28.jpg

POV6c7a.jpg

Living Room

"Ace stand still!" Toby yelled.

He and Riley had shown Martini to the storage room (After asking Numair for permission) and the result was an abundance of used curtains, rags, and an assortment of strange things. There were even a few valuable looking items at the bottom of a dusty box and Riley had to wonder how the hooded figures got their hands on such things.

"You too, Leila." Riley stated with a grin.

While Martini took measurements and worked her magic, Garret and Vicky were discussing in a quiet corner. The looks on their faces were serious, but it didn't do much to dampen everyone's spirits. They were so close to home now, and they were going to have a good time! The was for sure.

"Hey, hey, Martini?" The blonde boy gave the mermaid his best puppydog pout. "Can you make me a cool superhero mask too?"

"Martini, you should give Lelia something dragon-themed. She tamed one once!"

The requests kept coming. It looked like the mermaid had a new fan club now.

The night continued on peacefully, at least, until Luke poked his head out of the kitchen to declare that the cake was almost done.

Much Later: Kitchen

339jevs.png

"Sacha? Does this look okay to you?" Harper was standing beside Ran and working on the little fondant people. The poor superheroes head looked much too big for his body, but the boy had given it his best shot. "We made a few more... Ran's looks less deformed, promise." The boy moved out of the way so they could show their head chef the finished product. He could hear Riley's and Toby's voices as they tried to keep Ace entertained and away from the kitchen. The cake looked about ready in the oven and Harper had to admit, Sacha was very good at what he did. "That looks great."

• Nice Execution!
Reactions: Fox of Hearts
weQcz7P.png

[BCOLOR=transparent]Living Room[/BCOLOR]

[BCOLOR=transparent]Leila didn't give her much, but that was okay. She had more science and math like things to worry about. Then again, she didn't get a very good answer from anyone. How weird. It was like Ace had to interpret her own definition of what a birthday was- based on all the stuff going on. And so far, apparently everything dealing with her and lighting fires was prohibited.[/BCOLOR]

[BCOLOR=transparent]Suddenly, Toby came bounding in full of energy as always. Despite her name being yelled, she realized way too late that she was the target for- well, Toby grabbed her and spun her around. Even knowing how hyperactive the guy was, she still wasn't sure how to handle him sometimes. "A surprise…?" Ace tried to recall the last time someone had a surprise for her. It didn't sound like it was a good thing, but she followed along wearily. Not having an idea of what was going on was really weird when she needed to actually pay attention- especially when the subject was her. Maybe she was so cautious because of her gang. From what she could remember, being the center of attention was never a good thing. This obviously was nothing like that, so she tried to relax, glancing over at Leila in confusion. She couldn't read Leila's expression (when could she ever?) but she did know that Leila was probably just as lost as she was.[/BCOLOR]

[BCOLOR=transparent]"No peeking, no peeking." Ace repeated and closed her eyes. Obviously she peeked multiple times- mostly to see where she was going- but she to entertain Toby she didn't peek (where it counted). "So what's this surprise?" Of course they weren't going to tell her. That wasn't a surprise.[/BCOLOR]

[BCOLOR=transparent]When she finally was able to open her eyes, she was met with Martini and Riley surrounded by random cloth. After being told what to do, she had to think about what kind of superhero costume she'd want. They already had the Crimson Justice as her title, so she based it off that. [/BCOLOR]

[BCOLOR=transparent]"Has to have red." [/BCOLOR]

[BCOLOR=transparent]"And flames?" [/BCOLOR]

[BCOLOR=transparent]"Definitely flames. I like Toby's idea. Oh and not just red. Has to be another color in it too."[/BCOLOR]

[BCOLOR=transparent]"Black- oh wait, no yellow! Yellow would look better." [/BCOLOR]

[BCOLOR=transparent]At that, Ace shrugged. She didn't know how it would turn out, but with more discussion about it, Ace started to like the ideas more and more. If anything, Riley and Toby had accomplished getting her distracted long enough for them to finish the cake and probably even decorating. [/BCOLOR]

[BCOLOR=transparent]"Wow Martini, you're really good at this clothes thing." Ace looked at the costumes and regular outfits (for those that weren't going to take part ) she made for everyone. Hers was particularly intriguing. Ace had some sort of red jumpsuit with a yellow hood. On the hood and the bits where there was yellow like around her legs and arms, there were fiery designs decorating them. "This is pretty cool." Ace grinned and put the hood over her head after hooking her hat to a belt loop. "I'd be an awesome hero. Heh, Crimson Justice! Fighting fire with fire." Ace laughed and looked at the others. "Well, what do you guys think?" Something then occurred to her (which was exactly what Riley and Toby were trying to avoid). "Hey what are the others doing? Won't they need their costumes too?" And like that, Ace was off to investigate.[/BCOLOR]

• Bucket of Rainbows
Reactions: Fox of Spades
iVheWgO.png

Living Room

"Riley, I thought we've established that I've never tamed a dragon -"

She tried to have that come across as polite as possible, but Martini's flinging tape measure around made it hard for her to determine Riley's reaction.

Leila really did not follow the transition from preparing for a dinner perhaps just slightly more grand than usual, to full on party preparation mode. The kitchen crew had locked the door and curtained the windows, leaving them only to guess what they were cooking up inside through the muffled sounds of colliding containers and excited discussions.

With everyone else already flooding Martini with details and ideas and the Mermaid scrambling about with bubble trails overlapping themselves, Leila kept mostly silent regarding the design. Justifiable, since she didn't have the best sense of aesthetics anyway; although Martini did seem to notice her earlier remarks and had silently took a number of teeth off the design of something drafted on paper in green pencil.

"I'd be an awesome hero. Heh, Crimson Justice! Fighting fire with fire."

The tagline to Ace's superhero persona - involving a high concentration of the word "fire" as expected - struck Leila as rather amusing, in that the whole Crimson Justice story started out when they were at Orion, where a fire wasn't something to fight as much as an artifact of Nowhere's peculiar physics.

The costume Martini managed to conjure around that was excitingly dazzling - red and orange and flames all over as expected.

"Ace, Ace. The kitchen's locked," having to break into a small run to keep up with the now costumed Ace, Leila followed her towards the kitchen, trying to get her to give up the idea of getting a peek of whatever they were working on inside. That's the thing about secrets, though, isn't it? You must not learn it before the reveal, but you must attempt to do so.

"Incidentally," Leila asked as they skidded to a stop in front of the kitchen door, perhaps in a last effort to have Ace's attention diverted for one moment more, "Have you always had this fixation with everything related to fires?"

Riley's Super Duper Secret Distract Ace Plan 3.3 - Part 2

Kitchen: Operation Hide the Cake

POV6c7a.jpg

"... and that's how we're going to keep it a surprise." Toby told them proudly. "We got this guys, so move it, move it."

2116trp.png

Ran nodded, unsure what else to add. Riley's plan sounded solid, but Ace was never one to follow the rules. He decided to just hope for the best and focus on making the surprise "gifts" for Ace and the other guests. Upon hearing Harper lament how ugly the marzipan heroes looked, the man couldn't resist sneaking a peek. "Harper, those are pretty cute," he said encouragingly. "Given the head to body proportion, they remind me of chibis. Have you seen those before?"

Even Toby decided to give their little trooper some much needed encouragement. "Ran's right! These are great! I just wanna pick one up and squish it against my cheek and -- er, right." He cleared his throat, trying to act "serious" again. He left the cake decoration team alone before turning to the next-in-command Numair. "We are ready for phase 2 aka lure the target to the rendevous. Operative Riley is keeping birthday girl distracted as we speak."

gq61IN0.jpg

"Phase 2?" Jasper looked confused, as she held out a huge bowl of flame shaped candy wrapped in orange and red cellophane. Mixed into the bowl were also long, wafer fingers with a chocolate tip that looked suspiciously like matches. "Does it have anything to do with these sweets?" The albino girl asked suspiciously.

"Yes, we need fire to fight fire!" Toby proclaimed loudly, quoting the Crimson Justice's catch phrase. "I bet she'd love these sparky stuff coz they remind her of fire."

Jasper looked highly reluctant to pass Toby the candy bowl now. Tempting a pyromaniac like Ace with match lookalikes and shiny, flame-shaped candies was a baaaaaad idea. The last thing they wanted was for the brash gangster girl to burn down the Hobbit Hole. "I don't know ... " She stepped back a little. "I don't think we should do this."

"But! It's Ace's birthday... Aw, come on, please, please, puhleeease." Toby gave Jasper his roundest, most heart-melting puppy dog eyes and nearly grinned, when the older girl sighed loudly. He clapped his hands gleefully and grabbed the bowl. "Thanks, Jasper. You're the best and you saved the day and all that jazz. Byeeeeeeeeeeee!"

Ran dropped what he was working on - a flame shaped cookie coated with white marzipan - and continued holding the door open for a bit. He could hear Ace, Lelia and Riley coming closer and closer. "Eh, any volunteers to make sure Toby doesn't get caught and land up telling Ace everything?" The adult looked a little too eagerly in Inadi and Numair's direction. "I know it's a simple leave a sweets trail operation, but I'd rather not have Tobs make a bigger mess trying to keep Ace away from the cake. And hurry, she's almost here!"

"Go Inadi," Jasper said encouragingly, pushing her boyfriend towards the door. At least, there's one volunteer. Hopefully another of the hoomans would also volunteer to help with distract Ace.

• Bucket of Rainbows
LAshoov.png

After spending a little bit of time mixing up some more of the cake batter for one of the other treats he was planning to include with Ran's cookies Inadi suddenly felt his weight shift as Jasper began pushing him towards the direction that Toby had headed out to see Ace and the others with the bowl of candy. Confused he looked back at her and then to Ran as he got the gist of what was being asked of him. Letting out a sigh he shrugged. "I suppose if one of us has to do crowd control it would be better if it was me in the end." He groaned out as he took the apron he had tied around his neck and waste and placed it on a nearby counter. Inadi quickly took his leave after Toby and towards the birthday girl.

Keeping up with Toby was never his greatest skill since the young man joined up with the humans, but Inadi intended to do his best for the sake of their plan they had set up. If Inadi had gathered just enough of what was spoken back and forth it was to use the candies that Toby had just taken and lead Ace away from the baking area. But Inadi wasn't a hundred percent sure the gangster girl would take the bait so there had to be a reason for her to follow the candy trail. Perhaps some kind of treasure hunt? But what was Ace interested in? There was the dragon taming obviously. Fire of course, but Inadi had no flamethrowers or anything similar to that so there was that idea. There had to be something else that they could use to get her to follow the trail. Some kind of incentive.

Inadi finally saw Ace and Toby in front of him and could tell that Ace was wanting to locate the others and figure out what all was going on. The boy continued trying to sell the idea of the candies, but it was evident that Ace was more interested in the others, though she did comment on how interesting their designs were in passing. Struggling to think of something that would work with the candy trail Inadi looked at the costume that Ace was wearing and also saw that the trademark hat was now on a beltloop to make way for the hood to fit on her head. Inadi had forgotten how much that hat meant to Ace after all this time. It was a defining feature during their travels. One she had...no intention of letting go of.

Inadi slowly looked up at the sky and just shook his head, knowing his only way of helping was going to cause him great hardship, unnecessary physical exertion and above all else fear in the sense that even when the intention was explained he was still going to be beaten to a pulp. Quickly grabbing the entire bowl of small candies into his grasp as Toby screeched with the quick movement Inadi then swooped his free hand towards the hat and yanked downwards. Hearing a tear of the velcro strap that fixed the size of the cap Inadi began making his way in the opposite direction of the Hobbit Hole. Placing the hat on his head as he continued running as fast as he could he began throwing the candies behind him while whining out pants as the fear gripped the back of his mind.

"Follow the bread crumbs there Ace and you get your precious hat back. And if you can't find it I'll have the dragons burn it to a crisp!" Inadi threatened as he immediately took the hat and smacked his own forehead with it thinking how stupid that was. A threat?! To a girl who may or may not be in a violent gang of all things!? For a bloody hat!? Inadi quickly shook out these concerns and put his focus back on tossing candies behind him as he ran for his life, loosing his footing on more than one turn as he began heading off into the forest. "Better hurry Ace! I'm getting away!" Inadi yelled back as he whimpered to himself. Riley and Toby better be able to save him once this was all said and done. All he wanted to do was bake a quick cake and go back to simpler times. He was going to not just request, but demand Jasper give him some kind of reward after all this was said and done. This was her fault anyway volunteering him. The things a man does for love of his friends and beloved.

2889r28.jpg

Hobbit Hole: Living Room

"Good job, Inadi—I mean, beat that sucker up, Ace!" Riley waved enthusiastically at the retreating Inadi, wondering if she should go after them or just let the whole chase scene run its course. Surely Inadi would be happy to take one for the team, right? Besides, it wasn't like Ace would sick Tasha on him or anything like that. Jasper wasn't contented with her response and paused to shoot her a playful glare. "Aw, don't worry about him, Jasper. I'm sure Ace won't beat him up too badly, superheroes are nice after all."

Jasper didn't relent and with a laugh, Riley turned towards the door. "Okay, I'm going, I'm going."

Toby gave her one of his serious looks. "Riley, make sure you keep them outside okay? That way we can move the cake and get things prepared."

"You got it, Tobs." The girl grinned brightly at everyone in the hobbit hole. "You guys just keep on keeping on. I'll make sure they stay outside, promise—oh hey... looks like C's here, yep, I'm going to go." Riley mouthed a quick 'good luck' before hightailing it out of the hobbit hole.

suGBCks.png

"They're decorating outside," C pointed out the door and at the dragons and dragon riders who were hanging balloons and streamers on the nearby trees. It looked like she'd forgotten all about that little slip up in the kitchen. "Glasses and hat girl are going to the forest." C made her way towards the kitchen before Numair quickly begun steering her towards the living room.

The girl's eyes flitted from Numair to Leila before her cold gaze eventually fell on the latter. Something about the way everyone was acting felt off. "What are they doing in the kitchen..." her eyebrow twitched. "Are they making a mess?"

Choose your answer wisely, Leila.

339jevs.png

Hobbit Hole: Kitchen

"Aw, thanks, guys." It was nice of Ran and Toby to compliment the little disfigured superheroes. "You know, Ran? You're pretty good at this." The boy eyed the cookie badges the grownup had made for the occasion. "Those look really good, I'm sure Ace and the others will love it. It looks like it tastes great too." He didn't know Ran too well, and the guy usually struck him as too laid back for his own good, but Ran meant well and Harper though Riley was right. He was a pretty cool grownup. "Sacha, should we start wheeling the cake into the living room?" He pressed his ear against the locked door and smiled. "Operation distract Ace is in full swing."

Together with Sacha and Ran, the multi-tiered cake was lifted onto a small food trolley.

Harper once again made his way to the door and poked his head outside, seeing that the coast was clear, he pushed the door open and signaled for Ran and Sacha to make their way into the living room with the cake. He beamed brightly at the guides and everyone in the room.

Even the usually grumpy Songbird had raised his head to look at masterpiece. Sacha had done a marvelous job.

2889r28.jpg

6c6PBu1.png

Outside the Hobbit Hole → Forest:

"Inadi!" Riley was huffing and puffing. Sheesh, those two could run. "I've—give me a second... come to save you!" Her dash towards the forest was cut short when Garret appeared before her in a party hat, he was carrying bags of streamers in his arms. "Commander Garret?"

The man nodded in greeting. "Riley, right? Would you mind helping us hang the streamers?"

Riley peered behind him and noticed Cobalt, Lull and Tasha. The baby dragons had colorful pieces of cloth clamped between their jaws. Cobalt flapped his wings before placing a few of the colorful streamers on some of the branches.

"Uh, sure." Riley blinked when one of the bags was promptly pushed into her arms. Yeah, if Inadi could beat mushroom men then he could handle himself. "Good luck!" She yelled in the forest's direction before Lull dashed behind her and began pushing her forward with his snout.

[BCOLOR=transparent]
weQcz7P.png
[/BCOLOR]

[BCOLOR=transparent]Forest[/BCOLOR]

[BCOLOR=transparent]"Hm?" That's odd, why would they lock the kitchen door? Was that the new ban style, instead of the list? Ace was about to knock on the door only for Leila to stand in her way. Odd. However, the question did divert her attention. It made her pause and scratch her head. "Have I always liked fire?" That's what she assumed Leila meant by the question. "From what I remember," With the not so helpful help of her fleeting memories for being in Nowhere too long. "I think so. Ever since I was dropped off at the orphanage…" She couldn't remember the name of it. But she could remember the large, ageing, four story building with the window that never got fixed for some odd reason. "Uh, no need to go into a long story to say yes." She laughed a little and shrugged. "Fire is fun. It's...destructive, yet comforting. Hm, kind of hard to explain why. But," At this point, she had quite smoothly maneuvered herself in between Leila and the door while she was talking. "You asked me something totally different. Annnd I answered. Sooo-" [/BCOLOR]

[BCOLOR=transparent]The door opened behind her, but instead of escaping into the kitchen, Toby bombarded her with Inadi not too far behind. "Hey, what're you guys doing in there hm?" Toby pointed out the candies and Ace looked with a curious glance. "Oh look, they look like fire. How neat." She didn't mention how she never had the particular candy before. Instead she simply tried one. "Huh, these are pretty good. Compliments to the chef...which reminds me, what are they doing?" She swished her cape about some before grinning. "Oh yeah, I want to show them my costume too! Toby you're in the way you know." [/BCOLOR]

[BCOLOR=transparent]Ace stepped forward, only to feel a tug on her pants. She whirled around in confusion, only to spot Inadi running away…with her hat. For a moment Ace watched in horror as Inadi ran away, only for it to turn into an annoyed, but more so angry glare. He would have gotten a bit of leeway- until he threatened to burn her most prized possession. "Give me my hat!" And like that. she was chasing after him.[/BCOLOR]

[BCOLOR=transparent]"If you mess my hat up, I will end you!" The redhead didn't even notice the dragons and their riders decorating outside. She was much too focused on retrieving what belonged to her. On the other hand, the dragons and their riders definitely noticed Ace yelling and running past with her cape fluttering in the wind. Tasha was planning to bound after her new human friend but was commanded to help with the decorations. [/BCOLOR]

[BCOLOR=transparent]There were several times she had come close to grabbing Inadi by his collar, only to miss by a few centimeters. Then, as branches and tree roots began to decorate the scene, now Ace had to focus on not getting hit by them, or tripping over things. Did he not realize Ace was equally reckless and athletic? (Sure most times it was just to run from cops but that wasn't the point.) Great job Inadi. Though, to give him credit, for a skinny small person he was pretty fast. Fast enough? Not quite. It had been a few minutes of the cat and mouse game, simply because Inadi was smart enough to effectively dodge the times Ace could have grabbed him. But that didn't last too long. Ace managed to grab him by his collar and yank him backwards in order to bring him to a complete stop. "Aren't you supposed to be the 'civilized' one or something?!" She managed to snatch her hat back from him, more so tempted to punch him like Riley suggested. Instead of punching him, because she knew that would be mean and probably hurt him (a lot), she smacked the back of his head. "You could've messed up my costume too!" Surely something must have possessed the guy in order to do something so uncalled for. She spent a moment checking to make sure her hat was in tact...making sure she didn't need to hit Inadi any harder than she had. [/BCOLOR]

[BCOLOR=transparent]"What the heck is wrong with you all?" They weren't letting her into rooms, making her dress up, and now all of a sudden Inadi decided to be a thief? He was going to have to learn better tricks and how to escape if he was going to make that into an occupation...That wasn't the point! Ace looked at Inadi with narrowed eyes. "What are you guys doing?" Suspicions were rising.[/BCOLOR]

• Bucket of Rainbows
iVheWgO.png

"I think so. Ever since I was dropped off at the orphanage…Uh, no need to go into a long story to say yes."

Ace took responding to the question a lot more seriously than Leila had expected. The words were just came out one after another, assembling into something that was all abrupt ends, tangents, and hints at tangents that stop in abrupt ends.

"I won't mind the story," Leila said, but her voice overlapped with the second half of Ace's answer and went mostly unnoticed.

"Fire is fun. It's...destructive, yet comforting. Hm, kind of hard to explain why. But, you asked me something totally different. Annnd I answered. Sooo- Hey, what're you guys doing in there hm?"

With that, Ace's attention was diverted to chasing down Inadi and reclaiming the hat. Leila didn't follow, but only turned to look at the two of them running away.

She noted to herself to get that story. Some day later.

The soft smile - towards Inadi's tactic of throwing candies behind him - that Leila didn't realize was there, however, was wiped off her face as soon as the two of them ran through the door, out of sight, and Leila turned around to leave only to run into an irritated C starting at her, Numair with an apologetic "sorry I tried" expression standing aside her.

Leila tried her best to not look into C's eyes for several seconds before realizing that probably wasn't a good way to indicate that she was not up to no good, and switched to trying her best to look into her eyes instead. It turned out she couldn't quite to either.

"...Are they making a mess?" C, moving closer and starting intensely.

"N - "

Wait, lying - likely not a good idea, she thought.

"I don't -"

That is technically still lying.

If she lied they'd probably see right through it, but if she didn't - at this point it only seemed that anything she did would, only in different ways, convince C to break into the kitchen in all of the fury. Leila twirled her hands in the air in an desperate attempt to come up with something to say.

Making a mess. What constituted making a mess? Leila glanced over her shoulder towards the locked kitchen doors. What is a measure of "mess"?

"- A spontaneous process in a closed system always has the thermodynamic consequence of -"

Wait, that isn't right.

Leila sighed and gave up.

"Yes."

LAshoov.png

Continuing his escape past the many parts of the home base they had taken up with the hooded figures Inadi heard the faint sounds of Riley leaving him alone to fend for himself against the incoming Ace that was hot on his trail. Seemed like dragons had a greater sense of control over his fellow humans than his own well being, which Inadi was still fairly certain was in danger if he went and carried on with this stupid idea as he kept tossing candies behind him to leave a trail for Ace to follow. Looking back though it was clear the girl didn't need any kind of trail.

She seemed to be gathering ground on him and Inadi only wished he had done this in some kind of hidden secret or cloud of smoke. Then it could be a regular scavenger hunt rather than a race against time and death. Well hind sight is 20/20 after all...unless it needs contacts like Inadi did. Then it is 20/30. Which reminded Inadi to fix his glasses as they continued to slide down his nose as he continued his quick pace through the woods.

Reaching for them with the hand that held Ace's hat, the throat of the man running for his life shrunk ever so quickly as gravity pulled his feet forward but lurched his body backwards somehow. His spectacles flew off his face into the distance and he slammed into the ground with the candies now flying in the air and the hat held tightly in his grip as it had been the entire run. Ace criticized his lack of civility as he tried to figure out where his wind pipe had disappeared to and make it work in proper order again as the hat left his hands in a quick swooping motion. Holding his hand up to the girl to try and quell her questions, the coughing continued as now the man who was running was now crawling on all fours like a dragon that Riley no doubt was enjoying the company of.

He wasn't sure where they had flown off to, but Inadi just had to find those glasses of his and quickly. They were already scratched, slanted and in some places probably bent beyond repair, but they still did the job he required of them. "Ace I'm sorry about what I did and trust me when I say I have a legitimate reason as to why I did that. In the meantime though I have to find my glasses," Inadi said as he pointed in a direction of a small group of trees to his right. "I believe they may have flown somewhere over there but they could have also just shot up and fell down here. Would you mind assisting me in finding them and when they are back on my face I'll let you know exactly what the whole idea was about."

Inadi continued patting his hand lightly around as the fuzziness of his eyes continued getting worse. Perhaps his eyes had gotten more foggy during his time in Nowhere. He recalled doing small excercises with his eyes back home, but could not remember exactly what they were. Chart reading? Motion tracking? He was forgetting so much of his time back home that even these details were becoming lost to him. Either way he continued patting away as he looked towards Ace and shrugged. "I didn't think I was this blind to be honest. Holy cow, everything looks like it is covered is tree sap." Inadi moaned as he grabbed what felt like a root and let his face describe the touch of the apparently wet and sticky part of the tree. Somehow it was covered in tree sap and it was making his fingers stick together like glue. Sometimes Nowhere was wonderful. Other times it was juts plain annoying. Rarely was it "sappy". Inadi groaned to himself at his own pun and tried to wipe the sap off on a rock while still looking for his glasses with his cleaner hand.

• Bucket of Rainbows
suGBCks.png

Living Room → Outside the Hobbit Hole

"Yes?" Leila's honesty surprised C, and she dropped her fists to her sides and spent the next few moments just staring at the girl. "I'm going in." The declaration was followed by several strides towards the kitchen, but the girl froze the moment Sacha and the rest of the cooking team appeared with the multi-tiered and multi-colored birthday cake. "Sacha, it's beautiful."

339jevs.png

Harper stared worriedly at their supposedly crazy leader before his eyes flitted to Leila. Whatever she did, it had worked and C wasn't going ballistic. "Great job, Leila," he whispered. "Uh, C, we're taking the cake outside do you want to join us. I bet Ace and the others are already wondering where we are." From across the room, Numair said something about taking the rest of the food outside. The surfer tugged Gary along and after grabbing the rest of the food the pair disappeared out the door.

Ran, Harper, Sacha and the rest of team birthday cake wheeled Sacha's masterpiece towards the door. C was kind enough to hold it open for them so they could get the cake outside. As soon as they stepped out the door they were greeted by the sight of several colorful streamers. The picnic table was surrounded by baby dragons in party hats, (Thanks to a certain mermaid) and not too far from them were a few of the riders. They'd finished their own preparations and were chatting idly as they waited for the party to start.

Victoria was farther away from the group and it looked like she was inspecting a chest. What was in the chest, Harper didn't know.

"I never thought I'd be attending a birthday party again." He gave Leila a smile. "Hey, Leila, do you think a year has passed already? Time in Nowhere is really strange. Haha, makes me wonder if we've all skipped a birthday." It wasn't a happy thought and it made him wonder how many birthday parties Sacha and the rest of the hooded figures had missed.

"Sacha, did you always like to bake?" Harper stared at the food on the table. "You're really good at it. Maybe you used to be a chef?" How much did they remember? The questions in his head were making him sad, so he mustered up a smile instead. "I wouldn't be surprised if you said yes."

6c6PBu1.png

2889r28.jpg

Outside the Hobbit Hole - Forest

"That's the last of the streamers," Garret stated with a grin. "Good job, little ones." The baby dragons sat obediently for a few moments before breaking off into a sprint and tackling each other into the ground. Oh well, at least they behaved long enough to help hang the decorations. "You should go save your friend now, I'm going to tell them you guys are coming with the birthday girl." Garret saluted.

"Sure, they shouldn't be too hard to find. I just have to follow poor Inadi's pained yells." Riley returned the salute before making her way deeper into the forest. "Inadi, Ace?" It took a few moments, but after awhile she heard the former complaining about his glasses. "There you guys are. Sorry about the whole leaving you, Inadi." She spotted his glasses by one of the tree's roots and plucked it off the ground. "Had to do an important mission for Garret. Ace didn't go too hard on you did she?" Ace received a teasing grin before Riley pressed the glasses into the poor boy's hands.

She gave Inadi a moment to right himself then turned to look at Ace with a bright smile. "This should all make sense really soon, but the others are waiting, we should go." Linking hands with the duo, Riley proceeded to drag them back towards the hobbit hole.

2mo845e.jpg

"Humans at twelve o'clock," Ise reported when she noticed Ace, Riley, and Inadi approaching.

Luke turned to the humans with his head held high and beamed. "You little fellas know what to do!"

Tasha and Lull scrambled into position, the former ready to shoot flames at the sky and the latter ready to blow bubbles at the humans. As soon as they got close enough, they would be in for a surprise.

[BCOLOR=transparent]
weQcz7P.png
[/BCOLOR]

[BCOLOR=transparent]He apologized. That was a start. [/BCOLOR]

[BCOLOR=transparent]It was still a stupid decision on his part. But watching him pathetically search for his glasses made Ace sigh. Apparently, she'd get a proper reason afterwards. Finding glasses was harder than she thought it would be. "Maybe you should invest in like...better eyesight." [/BCOLOR]

[BCOLOR=transparent]Hearing Riley made her searching come to a halt. "Don't tempt me...I still don't have a reason not to you know…" Ace helped, or more rather pulled Inadi up by his arm so he could gather himself together. "Look at that, good thing your glasses didn't break. Would be a shame…" No she wasn't going to break his glasses, that wouldn't be fair. Besides, they needed him to see- who knew if they would get into anymore fights. Riley grabbed her hand and the questions began to roll. [/BCOLOR]

[BCOLOR=transparent]"So, what are you guys doing?"[/BCOLOR]

[BCOLOR=transparent]"Why'd you threaten my hat?"[/BCOLOR]

[BCOLOR=transparent]"What are you guys hiding huh? This is weird."[/BCOLOR]

[BCOLOR=transparent]"Surprises are dangerous you know. The last time there was a surprise involved an explosion happened- the bad kind though. Not the kind that I would've caused. But the kind that could've killed me- hey you know, putting a timer on a bomb is the most ineffective way to get anywhere? I mean sure ten seconds, but like...a whole minute? Gives people plenty of time to escape." Ace's rambling paused and she frowned a little. [/BCOLOR]

[BCOLOR=transparent]"Don't change the subject, what's going on?" No Ace, you changed the subject." [/BCOLOR]

[BCOLOR=transparent]Finally, the two didn't have to bear another word from Ace. The forest began to clear and once they got close enough she spotted Tasha and Lull close by. Of course the dragons got her attention. "Hey Tasha, Lull. What're you two up to?" At least she could trust the dragons, they weren't suspicious. The sudden stream of fire in the air made Ace beam and applaud. "See! I told you, with practice you'd be the best fire breathing dragon there is!" Of course Tasha beamed proudly, but she was also simply doing as she was told. Lull bounded forward, blowing bubbles at the trio, making Ace laugh. "You're cool too Lull! Okay, okay, cut it out!" She waved the bubbles away and patted their heads. Things started to clear up.[/BCOLOR]

[BCOLOR=transparent]"SURPRISE!"[/BCOLOR]

[BCOLOR=transparent]Ace blinked and stared at the group all crowded outside of the Hobbit Hole. She even looked over her shoulder, glancing at the other two but they simply gestured her forward. "I…" Riley pulled her forward to get a better look. [/BCOLOR]

[BCOLOR=transparent]Ace didn't know what to say. They all spent time and effort to make...a party? For her? "I...I don't know what to say." Her smile was a little softer. She rubbed the back of her head in an odd bout of nervousness. "No one's really gone out of their way for me so, uhm, thank you."[/BCOLOR]

iVheWgO.png

Outside

"Hey, Leila, do you think a year has passed already? Time in Nowhere is really strange. Haha, makes me wonder if we've all skipped a birthday."

Leila felt funny trying to come up with an answer because both of them knew that there was no way to know for sure. She could count the days they've been here - at least for now, she noted as her thoughts floundered towards the hooded figures for a moment - if only the sunrises and sunsets actually amounted to measures of time, and if only she had been awake to see every one of those events. Neither of those premises were true, and so - there was no way to know for sure. For now.

"If we go back home - there'll be Newsletters," she said, "and there'll be dates on them. We'll know."

Half true only, because seeing how time passed back home was of no help determining how it did here. It bothered her a bit, and she tried to make it bother her less:

"Well - are birthdays really important?"

_____

Fireworks.

Dragon flame looked much different from the earthly pyrotechnics she remembered. But the amazing feelings inspired by looking up into the sky as the colours blossomed were much the same: the same as what she felt that night long ago she decided to run down the stairs and into the streets under to rid the wonder of the obstruction that was the glass of the window panes.

It was quite puzzling how she only remembered considering that night either as an immediately recent incident, or as something of the distant past. Maybe time didn't work correctly in Nowhere after all.
Leila skidded a few steps forwards onto the grass, towards where Ace, Riley, Inadi, along with the dragons and the soldiers already were, and forward of Sacha and Harper who were transporting the majestic piece of confection. Everyone was gathered.

"I...I don't know what to say. No one's really gone out of their way for me so, uhm, thank you."

Leila looked to her side at Harper and unrealistically expected him to understand what she meant by that without speaking: given Ace's reaction, birthdays were likely overwhelmingly important. She also felt exceedingly that this would be the time in the books when everyone started to talk about things, or sing, or start hugging each other. She wasn't sure how to proceed with any of those things, so instead she settled for saying to Ace the only thing that seemed sensible to say at the time:

"Happy birthday, Ace," she said,

"And what happened to Inadi?"

• Love
Collab between Ryver and Fox

339jevs.png

2116trp.png

Outside the Hobbit Hole:

"You're right," he mustered up a smile. "We can only hope not too much time has passed." It was January the 1st of 2013 when they all boarded the Midnight Train. Maybe not a day had passed since then or maybe it had already been years since their departure. Nowhere time (if it existed at all) was both frightening and strange. "Hm, I think what makes a birthday special is who you celebrate it with. That's why we're throwing Ace one," Harper beamed brightly. "Because we're all friends, and we're going home together. Right, Ran?"

"Right you are, Harper." Ran continued nodding out of politeness, but it was evident the adult wasn't paying any attention to the ongoing conversation. In his hands were a huge bundle of multi-colored candles, which the Hooded Figures claimed to be enough. Enough for what? He doubted they believed Ace to be 101 and counting, but he realized she'd be happy with the conflagaration anyways, so it still worked.

"Hurry!" Ran exclaimed suddenly, distracting Harper momentarily. Ran grabbed as many candles as he could hold in one hand out of desperation, because he could see Tasha and Lull bounding off in search of Ace and Inadi (if the celery was merciful enough to let him live). That meant they had less than 5 minutes tops!

The three picked up speed by haphazardly stuffing candles into every visible inch. Some candles were crowded together to form a rainbow brocoli top, while some seemed to grow out the sides of the cake like mushrooms along a cave wall. They threw the remaining candles hapazardly into the basket when someone (most likely C) exclaimed that Happy Boy was here. Ran whistled innocently, as he kicked the basket behind the bushes.

Before the boy could say anything else, Toby signaled them and yelled out a loud 'surprise'! Harper and several others followed the energetic blonde's lead and began screaming birthday greetings of all kinds. The Nobodies looked a tad confused, but said the words anyway. In the meantime, Ran and Luke added to the din by yelling garbled words, as they tried to turn the cake around discreetly, so no one could see the candleless half a foot strip running from top to bottom. The blonde, bubbly culprit was too deliriously happy to remember he promised to help them out. Toby beamed as he tried to tackle Ace from behind, while yelling crazily at the top of his voice.

"Happy birthday, Ace!"

2889r28.jpg

"Hey, you said you never had a birthday party before, so y'know, we couldn't go our separate ways without throwing you one." Riley pulled her friend into a tight hug and grinned. "All of us are going home soon, right?"

"Right!" A cheery Toby and Luke yelled in unison.

"So we need to have fun, make some memories," Riley added in. And when Leila came up to them to greet Ace, Riley paused to stare at her. All of them had really come a long way. Inadi and Leila found themselves pulled in for a group hug and poor Ace was the center of the hugfest.

Harper smiled at the show of sweetness between his friends. "Hey, Ace, Ran made something for you. I tried to make something too," he gestured to the little fondant superhero dressed in red. "But it came out a little deformed, sorry about that."

Ran laughed. "Actually I made something for everyone, but Ace gets the biggest one." The adult picked up a flame-shaped, red and orange frosted cookie badge and stepped forward to pin it on Ace's shirt. "No hero is complete without their ... crest? Crescent... Moon? I think that's what they're called." Ran finished lamely, feeling ashamed that as a former mangaka's assistant, he couldn't remember anything about super heros other than masks, capes and fighting villains. And big eyed school girls in sailor uniforms, those were a must.

Leaving Ace to her adoring fans, Ran picked up the tray and began handing everyone their superhero crest. Even the baby dragons had a cresr strung round their neck. Finally, only one badge remained. "Harper, here's your going home present. Hope you like it, hero!" He beamed as he put down the tray and pinned it to the boy's shirt.

While the baby dragons tried to chew on their cookie crests, Harper stared at his and beamed. He always thought Ran was a bit eccentric, but the cookie badges were a sweet gesture. "Thank you, Ran." He stared at the sword shaped cookie with white frosting on it. "I'd take a picture if I could, I almost feel bad eating it."

"This is really tasty," Luke said. Instead of admiring the cookies like the others, he had gobbled his the moment he had received it. "You're almost as good a cook as Sacha." The cheery hooded figure turned to Gary, Sacha, and Numair. "What did you guys get?" While the hooded figures conversed C tugged the sleeve of Ran's shirt.

suGBCks.png

"Thank you, artist man."

Ran pulled the girl into a tight hug before releasing her and ruffling her hair in a fatherly manner. "You're very welcome, Caitlyn." He smiled warmly. "Hopefully we'll meet when we get back. When we do, I'll take you for the best whatever you want!" C was starting to grow on him the way Riley and Toby did, so he wished (secretly) to keep in touch with them. He also had another reason for wishing to do so. From the little he learned about them, he figured that none of them had that happy a family life. Probably none in the group did or they wouldn't have boarded the Midnight Train.

He continued ruffling C's hair playfully, while vowing to find her, Riley and Tobs eventually. Hopefully with some moral support, he hoped these three would blossom into the capable adults he knew they were meant to be.

Ran was so lost in his thoughts that he gasped loudly, when C smacked his hand away and crossed her arms. He laughed guilty, while shaking his very sore hand to numb the tingly sensation left by her hand. That frown looked awfully familiar somehow and he meant it in a good way. "Alright, alright, no more messing with your hair. It leaves a mess." He smoothed her hair down and pulled the hood over. "There ... no more mess."

6c6PBu1.png

Garret stood a little farther away from everyone, but he couldn't help but grin. The humans and even the dragons and their riders all looked like they were enjoying the festivities. He looked to Vicky then eyed the wooden chest by his feet. He didn't like being a party pooper but not too long from now he would have to hand them their amulets and give them a mission briefing. The last clock in Nowhere--celery, to think it was more than just a myth.

"Say where's the fire-maker?" Luke scratched his head. He could have sworn he left the matches by the side of the table. He stared at Sacha looking very lost. "How do we light the candles without it...?"

Unknownst to the two Hooded Figures, Tasha was currently placing the stolen box of matches at Ace's feet. The baby dragon swished her tail to and fro proudly, expecting louds of hugs and praises for managing to bring her favorite hooman the pretty red box.

[BCOLOR=transparent]
weQcz7P.png
[/BCOLOR]

[BCOLOR=transparent]The birthday wishes showered in. First Toby tried to tackle her, but she was much more sturdy than that. So, he ended up getting his hair ruffled. "Thanks Toby." Her smile to Riley softened a bit. She had always thought about that. Once they got home, they'd go their separate ways. A group of people she risked her lives for, who fought alongside her, who became actual friends of hers- she wouldn't see them again after she stepped off the train and back home. "Yeah Riley." Ace grinned and patted her back. "We're definitely going home! Of course!" Making memories sounded like a much better idea than thinking of all the more sad things. [/BCOLOR]

[BCOLOR=transparent]"We've been making memories since we got here! You mean, make more memories!" She corrected, only to pause and quiet down when Leila came up. The soft spoken girl was one of the few things that managed to quell Ace's vibrant flames- simply because if Ace ever wanted to hear her, she had to focus and actually listen. With a bright smile, Ace couldn't help but rub her fingers through her hair again. "Thanks Leila. Oh- uh, Inadi's totally fine. Heh, I spared him." She playfully patted Inadi's back. "He just stumbled a bit is all." [/BCOLOR]

[BCOLOR=transparent]The sudden hugfest with everyone made Ace panic for a split second, unsure of why she was being grabbed. "Augh, guys- guuyys. Alriight-" Ace laughed, trying to escape. Thankfully, HArper stopped them and she broke free. "Made something? For me?" Wow... she was getting gifts too? Seeing the little superhero made Ace grin. "I love it. Thank you." Upon seeing Ran's cookie pendant Ace laughed. "I'm starting to see a theme here of fire and heroes...I like it." She examined her pendant. "This is cool, but I have to eat it? Aw, man this would have been great as a regular pin!" She kept hers, deciding to hold on to it as long as she could. "Oh, oh. Thank you Ran." She had never thanked so many people- or thanked anyone this much before. Who knew she had manners?[/BCOLOR]

[BCOLOR=transparent]Being the center of attention was really odd. Normally, Ace was always hidden- always out of the way. Ace was around when she needed to be and nothing more. They didn't need anything from her. In fact, they were just celebrating her...just for being her. She watched them all mingle and share their cookie designs, happily standing a little ways off to the side. There was an unfamiliar but warm feeling in her chest. She wasn't sure what to make of it, but she knew she was happy. It wasn't her normal pyromaniac and dangerous happy either. It was…[/BCOLOR]

[BCOLOR=transparent]Well, whatever it was could wait. Her favorite dragon came bounding forward with a box. "Huh? You two Little Red? I get a gift from you too? Now I really feel special. What is it?" Ace sat in the grass, her back to the others as she picked up the box and examined it. Opening it revealed a set of matches and Ace's eyes sparkled. "Best gift of the day!" She hugged Tasha and patted her head. "You're my favorite dragon you know? Now, want to see me make fire? I can do it too." This puzzled the baby dragon, but she scooted closer to see. Ace grabbed one of the matches, lighting it aflame. "Ohh." She then grinned and began to flip the burning match through her fingers. "Hehe, I can do tricks with mine." [/BCOLOR]

[BCOLOR=transparent]Tasha looked amazed that her excited human friend could start fires too, so of course she had to blow small bursts of flames into the air- showing she could do cool things too. [/BCOLOR]

[BCOLOR=transparent]Had they forgotten about the party? That would be possible.[/BCOLOR]

• Love
NOE_V2.jpeg

Outside the Hobbit Hole

"Thank you, Ran." Noe reached out for the cookie, but didn't seem to want to take. Ran continued waving it in front of her and eventually she reached for the gift. The pale haired girl blushed slightly, as she held onto the tiny cookie spell book as though it were some sacred treasure. "It's very … oh."

By the time she worked up enough courage to talk again, Ran had already moved towards Sacha and Inadi, leaving her standing there beside Ise. Her friend took a huge bite out of her own cookie without a care in the world. The loud munching brought Noe back to the present and she became super flustered after realizing Ise was going to finish the cookie dragon in a bite or two. "I-Ise … don't you think we should save it? It's a present and you're just eating it!"

As soon as the words left her mouth, the healer blushed once more, feeling awfully silly. She knew food was meant to be eaten and not kept like some shiny trinket, but she felt this cookie was far too pretty to be eaten. "I –"

"Fire!" Noe exclaimed suddenly, dropping her precious gift onto the grass patch. She dashed off to where Tasha and Ace were, worrying all the way that she might get there a little too late. Her mind dwelled on all sorts of nasty injuries that could result from Ace tempting Tasha like that and that only made her panic even more. As she neared the fiery duo, Noe realized that the current match in Ace's hand had burned so low that the fire was almost reaching the fingers. "Noooooo!"

Dramatically, the healer leaped forward and grabbed the flaming tip of the match with her bare hands. She stared at Ace with wide, worried eyes before yelling in pain. The lighted match flew straight into Tasha mouth and the baby dragon swallowed. Noe remained standing there staring at Ace like a frightened little mouse, as she clutched her injured. She bit her lower lip then hung her head. "Sorry … really sorry about that." Noe felt her face grow warm again. "I thought you'd hurt yourself."

Tasha wheezed slightly, as an uncomfortable feeling began spreading at the back of her throat. The baby dragon sputtered and gagged, but the match remained firmly lodged inside. Slowly, black wisps began pouring out of her flaring nostrils and heat welled up in the pit of her stomach.
"Do you feel that?" Noe asked suddenly, when she realized she was starting to sweat. Curious to see what was causing it, the girl turned around and found herself staring into the Tasha's opened maw. Tiny sparks started gathering at the back of throat, illuminating the dragon's tongue. Noe swallowed hard, but she remained rooted to the spot. She didn't know why but she couldn't tear her eyes away from the flames that were about to fly straight into her face. Oh Celery!

• Love
LAshoov.png

Inadi scoffed as he got out of the group hug and Ace's explanation as to what happened between the two of them was a simple 'stumble' as if he were some kind of new born that just learned what it was like to go from being a quadrupedal pooping machine to a bipedal version of the same thing. Looking at Leila while he tried keeping his glasses up the bridge of his nose he gave the other girl a sigh. "A stumble isn't exactly how I'd put it but I did my job and this whole thing went on without a hitch so it isn't that big of a deal. Now if you'll excuse me I am in desperate need of some food and I'm not about to wait another minute to fill my plate." Inadi told the girl as he waited for the rest of the gifts to be handed out and explained before the cake could be dug into.

It definitely felt odd celebrating a birthday party in Nowhere after all that had happened to their group since they arrived. Death. Betrayal. Lies. And here they were actually able to be normal adults or adolescents in some cases among each other and enjoy the moments that came with that kind of lifestyle. Not much that could be done to remember the bad things of Nowhere, but perhaps there were more good moments to come so long as they took the time to appreciate these kinds of things like Ace's birthday along with his and Jasper's relationship. The jabs and teasing among the group actually felt natural and not forced like the smiles and courage they all had to show out there every single time they were in the thick of a terrible moment. Inadi himself was getting tired of putting on that determined look around the others in the group like Toby, Leila and his girlfriend.

It was then that Inadi suddenly had a spark enter his mind. He did exactly what Jasper wanted him to do in distracting Ace for the party and he got practically clotheslined, man handled and was now just about one good trip away from needing a new pair of glasses, which Inadi assumed were hard to come by considering their location stuck out near the Hobbit Hole. He began taking his steps towards Jasper and tapped the girl on the shoulder. It was time he got his reward for his selfless action.

The albino girl turned to face him after she had been listening to all the others in the group discuss the gifts such as the pendant and all. She saw Inadi's face with a less than amused face and the crooked and slumping glasses that rested on his nose. She grew slightly concerned and tried pushing them back up onto his nose only to have them slide directly back down. Inadi shook his head as he pointed to the spectacles that had seen far better days prior to his journey on the train. "Ace kind of got a hold of me and knocked these things off. They might be missing a screw or had one of them bent. And I doubt this place has the tools needed to repair it," Inadi explained as Jasper took in every word and flashed a raised eyebrow and smirk.

"And just what do you want me to do about that then Inadi?" She asked in a joking voice but tried maintaining some kind of a serious look on her face. It wasn't there.

"I request that you give me half of whatever part of the cake you are given. I figure my work to make this surprise happen and go off without a problem should be rewarded in some way and I'd like some of that cake." The man explained as the two flashed grins at each other.

Just as the girl was about to answer there was a yell from the healer Noe as she reached for what looked like a lit match, more than likely one of Ace's gifts from the group. What followed was more odd than anything as the match then flew into the mouth of Tasha and the dragon began hacking as if trying to remove a fur ball stuck inside of it's throat. Problem was that dragons couldn't get fur balls as far as Inadi knew, which wasn't much but still it seemed rather obvious to know that. The one thing a dragon could spit out though was...fire...and with that realization Inadi grabbed Jasper's wrist and began running behind the dragon to find cover. "Get away from her mouth! SHE'S GONNA BLOW!!" Inadi screamed in terror as he hit the ground and covered his head and Jasper's as he waited for the inevitable heat spike to rise from the beast. Hopefully the beast wouldn't turn around during whatever fire display was about to occur.

• Love
2mo845e.jpg

339jevs.png

Outside the Hobbit Hole

"Yikes!" Inadi's yells caught Ise's attention, and judging by the looks of it Tasha was indeed going to blow. "Noe, Ace, duck!" She didn't have enough time to intervene, but hopefully this birthday party wouldn't go up in flames or end in 1st degree burns.

Tasha, not wanting to hurt her favorite human or Noe, tilted her head to the side at the last second. She let out another cough before both smoke and flames shot out of her mouth and towards the picnic table and the birthday cake. The sudden blast of fire made Luke yell, and the hooded figure linked his arms with Toby and Sacha, pulling them beneath the table in a last ditch effort to avoid the flames.

"Gosh," Harper blinked slowly. None of them had been hurt, and by some miracle the only thing the fireball did was fly over the cake... and light the candles in the process. "Talk about a close call," the boy said with a nervous chuckle. "Is everyone alright?"

Everybody nodded their heads and Ise finally let out a breath she didn't know she had been holding. "Tasha," the girl said firmly. "This is why you do not eat random objects." The little dragon hid behind Ace to avoid a scolding and Ise bit back a frown. They could save the lectures for another day, for now their were cakes to eat, songs to sing, and celebrations to be had.

"Ace," Harper called out with a wave. "You should probably blow out the candles before more trouble happens." The last part was said with a hint of a teasing smile. "Don't forget to make a wish. Also, Inadi is starting to look really hungry."

Jasper agreed to this statement and teased her boyfriend a little. She even claimed she could hear his stomach rumbling over the flames.

The group waited for Ace to blow out the candles and when she did, Riley started a birthday song. Even the hooded figures joined in the singing. None of them memorized the whole song anymore, but the tune was something familiar, something that reminded them of home.

The cake was divided and Sacha began handing out the plates to everyone.

Maybe they wouldn't be able to reach the last clock, and maybe they'd never get to take the Midnight Train home, but right now none of that mattered. There were cakes and songs, and idle chatter and they were just happy. If only moments like this weren't so fleeting.

• Love
weQcz7P.png

[BCOLOR=transparent]Fortunately for the group, Ace didn't use all the matches thanks to being fascinated by Tasha's own flame production. That didn't mean she didn't use most of the matches though. "No, no, I didn't drop it. It's a trick. See, watch." Ace twirled the match in her hand again. "See, I just-" Both Tasha and Ace turned their heads when Noe screamed at them. "What's she doing?" Ace mumbled only to get a shrug from Tasha- and then get her match taken. "...Why'd you go and do that?" Both dragon and human were completely confused. As Noe explained herself, Ace laughed. "It was just a match. Besides, looks like you burned yourself more than I did. Even if I did, I've burned myself plenty of times on accident- it's not that bad." [/BCOLOR]

[BCOLOR=transparent]The temperature started to rise near the two of them. The source of it all seemed to be hacking and trying to cough. "Hey, Tasha, you okay?" Ace peeked closer, seeing the same flaming sparks that Noe did. However, instead of staying their, Ace pulled Noe backwards and to the ground. She didn't panic like everyone else, but she did move out of the way. "You're one crazy dragon rider. Why would you sit in the line of fire?" Ace laughed and patted the girl's leg as she laid in the grass. "I said getting burned wasn't that bad, but I meant small fires." Tasha's hacking and wheezing led to a fantastic display of fire. While everyone else tried to gather themselves, Ace cheered and applauded. "Nice one Tasha! Very cool! But the dragon lady is right, you shouldn't eat random things- it's gross." She patted Tasha's head and helped Noe off the ground.[/BCOLOR]

[BCOLOR=transparent]"Blow out candles? Oh right." Ace walked over and sat at the table in front of the cake with Tasha right behind her. As much as she loved the fiery touch, she wondered why there were so many candles on the cake. None the less, it took her like three times just to blow out the entire cake. Make a wish? Wishes never really came true for her. If they did, Ace would have been adopted as a kid- or at least had a nicer place to live by now. Despite her belief in wishes, she looked at the happy gazes around her. They filled her with hope and happiness- so why not make a wish? Well, she was at least going to put it to good use. 'I wish we all make it back home. Together.' After she blew out the candles she sat back and watched as they began to sing or hum the birthday tune. Everyone seemed so happy and content in this moment. That familiar warmth in her chest rose again and Ace was positive it wasn't heartburn or anything. [/BCOLOR]

[BCOLOR=transparent]Ace grinned, barely realizing her teary eyed expression. "You guys are the best. And despite the bad things- well, I'm really glad I met you guys." For once in Ace's life she was truly happy. This moment reminded her of the holiday specials that were always on tvs. Friends and family would gather together and be happy that they were together. As sappy as it was on tv, for once the redhead could say that she felt...well, loved. Even if this moment would end and if she never saw them again after they went home, she was happy with the experience. Ace learned a lot being around them and it encouraged her to try to learn a bit more about the world. Travelling sounded even more appealing. Who knew, maybe one day Ace would run into them while they were accomplishing their dreams. [/BCOLOR]

[BCOLOR=transparent]"Oh, cake. Thanks Sacha." She took a bite and grinned. "Oh wow this is great! You guys are good at the whole cooking thing." From there, Ace joined in on the idle chatter, listening to stories and telling some of her own. [/BCOLOR]

[BCOLOR=transparent]"With memories fading and all, it's really hard to remember certain parts, you know?"[/BCOLOR]

[BCOLOR=transparent]"Ace you couldn't have possibly done anything like that. That's way too dangerous!"[/BCOLOR]

[BCOLOR=transparent]"Well, it was just a building. But I mean if I didn't jump then I would've been caught. It would have only been dangerous if they were shooting at me. If you really want dangerous, I jumped on a moving train before...and jumped off it too."[/BCOLOR]

[BCOLOR=transparent]"ACE!?" [/BCOLOR]

[BCOLOR=transparent]"Sheesh Jasper, it was awhile ago. No need to panic about it now." [/BCOLOR]

Last edited:
339jevs.png

Outside the Hobbit Hole

As Harper listened to the idle chatter between his friends, he couldn't help but feel a pang of homesickness. He missed his parents, his sister, and his friends from school, but he wouldn't trade his adventures in Nowhere for the world. Ace, Leila, Inadi, Ran, Riley, the hooded figures, in a way it felt like they were one big family, and eating cake together and just talking about the future made him feel hopeful.

They had lived through battles with chaotic stars, zombie fishes, and turtle dragons, and yes, Harper wasn't the bravest person out there, but he believed they'd be able to make it to the last clock and deal with whatever obstacles stood in their way. They'd been through hell and back to get the items on the queen's list, and now that they were so close to finishing, there was just no way they were going to give up or lose.

None of his friends would allow that, and he sensed none of the hooded figures would either.

At the beginning, they'd been nothing more than strangers from different walks of life. And the only thing any of them really had in common was a wish, but now, imagining a life without them in it was far from pleasant. How could one forget an adventure as crazy was this? Imagining an after was difficult, so Harper stopped and joined in on the conversations.

Soon enough, the food on their plates were gone. People complimented Sacha's cooking skills and continued to mingle. Garret allowed them a few more moments of cheer before finally making his way towards them with a large and heavy-looking chest.

Victoria stood beside him, the expression on her face stone-cold.

6c6PBu1.png

"I don't like being the wet blanket, but we'll need to talk about this sooner or later."

The chatter died down as the humans eyed the box. They didn't complain, this was their last mission after all, and they needed to be prepared.

"So, getting to the last clock isn't going to be easy. It's deep in the forest of giant dandelions, and I don't know much about it, but it's said to be located on the top-most floor of the tower of demise." Garret's frown deepened. "I brought a little something that I know will help you out a lot." Slowly, he pulled open the chest's lid. Inside were several gemstones, and those who tamed the dragons at Sol and fought the witch, immediately knew what those little trinkets were for. "Victoria told me a few of you would be familiar with it."

2889r28.jpg

"Hah, we're not forgetting that trip to the forest anytime soon." Riley stated with a frown. Who could forget that? Haku turned into stone and Avian... she couldn't stop her eyes from flitting to Victoria. "Are you going to give us, uh, weapons?"

Garret nodded his head. "We'll by flying by Sol before we drop you off at the forest of dandelions." The man slid the box onto the table and tried to smile. "Take your pic, first come first serve. I know no one wants to be stuck with anything lame, right?" Despite his attempt to lighten up the mood, there was a tense feeling in the air. Maybe it was because this was going to be their last mission together.

"Come on," the man gave them a gentle smile. "You guys are closer to home than you know."

Maybe he was right, maybe he wasn't. Only time would tell.
newcreate.php

Last edited by a moderator:
newcreate.php

339jevs.png

2889r28.jpg

suGBCks.png

The Forest of Giant Dandelions

Riley had expected the forest to look a lot prettier than it actually did, especially with its unique name and all. However, that wasn't the case, and it was just rows and rows of giant, wilting dandelions for as far as the eye could see. The gloomy weeds towered over them, casting a dark shadow over the dirt road they were on, and the night sky did little to help light their way.

If not for lanterns they had been given and their glowing amulets, it would have been very dark. However, it one stared hard enough, they could notice a purple ominous glow coming from a dark, abandoned looking tower in the distance.

As they walked onward, Harper kept his eyes focused on the silver light that emanated from the amulet around his neck. The sword by his waist and the shield strapped to his back felt far heavier than they actually were and he chalked it up to the nervous feeling in the pit of his stomach. Walking through the woods, armed with weapons they barely knew how to use reminded him far too much about the encounter with the witch and the midnight man. At least Noe was with them, and they had Sacha and C as well.

"H-Hey, when we get back, we shouldn't forget about each other, okay?"

Riley's eyes flitted from the cool Pyro glove she had been given to Harper's pale-looking face. "Nah, who can forget this? Dragon taming, hover board races, and underwater battles. No one just forgets those kinds of things." She gave the boy a bright smile, but really, Riley was worried too. None of them understood how the train worked, and if they'd even keep their memories of Nowhere in tact. Hell, they didn't even know if they'd be making it out of that tower alive did they. "So, Inadi?" The girl grinned mischievously. "You asking Jasper for her hand in marriage when this is over?"

"A wedding?" C looked to Inadi then Sacha. "Sacha can make the cake," she didn't even wait for her fellow hooded figure to respond.

The whole thing made Riley laugh. "It's settled then, when we get back to earth, we're meeting up at Inadi's wedding."

Status
Not open for further replies.