The Legend of Renalta (Updated: 03-06-2016)

Status
Not open for further replies.
#christmasevents

.... How does anyone in the western world have no internet bar temporary outages in this day and age?

.... How does anyone in the western world have no internet bar temporary outages in this day and age?

A: Be homeless.
B: Be a paranoid conspiracy theorist.
C: Be both.
D: Be both A and B and join a Militia.

:p

Some people don't see it as a necessity. Either they dont use it alltogether or they go to the library if they honestly need anything.

it just strikes me as insane considering how much of the world is online these days.

it just strikes me as insane considering how much of the world is online these days.
Keep in mind that you and I are more the exception than the rule. Most people use Internet as a convenience, not the basis for the majority of their hobbies. :ferret:

I missed my flight home the 24th, so there was a bit of a hussle to get to my Christmas morning, things have calmed down a tad, but are still in full swing. My post is most finished just need to add a reaction to Seb's post and provide some minor edits to my own.

Reactions: Brovo
Greetings from the yokel South-West of England, where the web is shite, and the computers don't matter...because they are borked.

I am working on a post, but I'm on a tablet. t'is slow goings, sadly.

Hope everyone had a good holiday none-the-less.

• Thank You
So I put up a post. Due to lack of internet I wrote it all up with on my phone so if its short or the writing seems odd or there are a lot of small errors that is why. I'll make sure to fix it all up when I get back to my home where there is internet readily available

Edit: oh yeah. Merry Christmas, hope you all got some good loot

Get it? Loot? Presents? Cuz we're all... Roleplay- ah fuck it

Last edited:
  • Love
He found his lack of faith, a tad, disturbing,

Reference game on point. +1. :ferret:

Read these as relevant to your interests. They're tips and lore updates, as usual.

Q: What are Mechanists?
A: A race of highly secretive people, described as having long legs, lithe forms, pale skin, and strange hair colours. Their bloodline is "stronger" than that of most other mortal races, so when interbreeding does occur (which is rare), Mechanist characteristics will stubbornly persist through further generations than a normal bloodline might. Those who have Mechanist blood in their veins (from a grandparent or otherwise) gain automatic bonuses to using Mechanist technology, as the spirits within the machines interact with them in subtle ways to help them understand how to use the device more efficiently--even if they've never used it before. They also gain unique interactions with other, more ancient Mechanist technology. On the other hand, those with a lot of Mechanist blood in them tend to suffer physical deficiencies. It's hard to hide a Mechanist bloodline, as it nearly always shows up in vibrantly coloured hair (usually green, at that), and naturally, a lot of people tend to prize those with mechanist influence. (Rheinfeld as forcibly recruited soldiers, Free Holds as slaves, Liveria as witch hunters, et cetera.)

It should also be noted that if the dormant soul within Mechanist technology should be released, it will immediately go berserk and turn on people. Spirits in general will always have a natural compelling desire to harm or even kill Mechanists, or those with their bloodline.

Mechanists, being highly secretive, live in vast underground tunnels, deep within the planet. Their technology is sufficiently advanced that it may as well be magic (and sometimes it is infused with it), and the moment they discover that one of their own has gone rogue, they hunt them down and murder them to protect their secrets quite zealously. Not that it matters, as the world is generally too backward to understand the baffling contraptions set before their eyes anyway! They tend to leave half-breeds alone, though, as they don't have the knowledge of their ancestors, and thus can't ruin their secretive nature.

Q: Mechanist Technology? (Relevant for @West and anyone else interested in tech beyond the feudal age.)
A: All tech you see in the world beyond that of a sword or a shield is likely related to Mechanists in some way. Firearms are solely produced by them, and contain dormant souls in order to function properly. Reverse engineering has always produced vastly inferior versions, prone to backfiring on their users, as the secrets of gunpowder have yet to be fully understood in this world, save as a form of raw and often unpredictable explosive. (Ex: Dragon Rockets from asian-themed nations, large black canister grenades, smoke bombs, et cetera.)

How you acquired Mechanist technology is up to you. Merchants trading it to you, passed down a family line--anything is fine so long as you didn't produce it yourself. If you want to retcon and add a Mechanist bloodline to your character, go ahead, just make sure to ask here in the OOC first. That goes for everyone here.

Q: Is Kouri a Mechanist/has Mechanist blood in her?
A: No. Her blue hair is the result of a different bloodline at play. I'll leave that for later, as it is a potential subplot.

Q: Why is Kouri described as hiding away her emotions?
A: She was trained in the ways of politics ever since she could speak and write. She's capable of masquerades, both literal and metaphorical, to hide weakness on her part. I leave it up to you whether your character notices her attempts to hide her emotional state. Keep in mind that she's a tough character to gain the trust of: She had her entire kingdom wiped out by Gods she once worshiped. If you want influence over her, you'll have to work on it. This is primarily outside of combat however. In combat, if she's able to focus and you give her tactical suggestions she finds to be clearly advantageous, she'll do them.

Q: Royal Archive? (Especially relevant for @Goldmarble @Kadaeux @Soulless and anyone else who has an interest in Renalta's history, or with a noble background.)
A: Items and artifacts from the ancient kingdom of Renalta did survive the purging. Some of them, anyway. There was once a royal archive full of them, which was mostly preserved, but looters got there before the King's Rangers did. Only a few items have been preserved, but if you ask the King's Rangers about it, they may have some helpful goods to give you on your journey. Kouri generally responds quite positively to them, and it's not uncommon for street hawkers to be offering some for sale. Whether or not those street horders have the real deal, though, is up for you to discover. More wealthy characters will generally also have one or two items or artifacts: There is no greater display of wealth than to flaunt items from a time of a golden age in the world.

Q: Uh... "Executed for security?"
A: This is not a nice world. It is a world in the midst of a dark age, ruled by tyrants. The strong oppress the weak. Organizations like the King's Rangers are not perfect, and may do morally questionable things to try and achieve their own, "greater" ends. Morality is subjective...

Q: Why do you quote dialogue at the top of your post?
A: Two reasons. First, I like to do it. Second, it can remind people of funny moments, or important moments of the plot. The longer you're in the role play, the more likely your character will be to get quoted. Everyone reads my posts (or at least they should), they may not always read yours if they're not interacting with you. Consider it something of a "I like my players and want to highlight their best moments", sort of thing. Sometimes I'll also quote my own NPC's, for matters of having a massive fucking ego plot. Yes, "plot." Shh. I'm allowed to indulge once in a while, I think.

Q: Why is your post so FREAKING LONG?!
A: I do not hold you to post that long, your posts would probably have incredibly shit pacing if you did that. The reasons why are...
--It's a collab. Collabs are longer by nature.
--I'm the GM. I normally have to describe the world and punt the plot along as a reaction to player behaviour. This is especially true of scenes where each character is interacting with the world. That is, you're probably responding to one or two things, while I'm responding to upwards of thirteen people committing any number of actions a piece. :ferret:
--This is an intro sequence, so my objective is quite simply to throw as much information as I can in as small a space as I can, so we can kick start the story and get to journeying across the world.

Q: What is the pacing of this story like? Do we describe in painful detail where we walk, like a badly edited version of Lord of the Rings?
A: No. It's written in a play type fashion. If you've ever been in a high school English LA course, you probably know what I'm talking about when I say "Shakespearean script." Essentially: I set up a scene, people dialogue and act in that scene, and when the story is ready to continue, we exit the scene. Once the scene is exited, I give a brief description of travel, and put us into the next scene. That way, you don't have to spend several posts going "I walked toward the sun for hours, and was burned alive by the sheer amount of purple prose before me."

Q: Does that mean the story is linear?
A: No. Yes? Not really. There is some illusion of choice involved, because that's the nature of storytelling. (A complete sandbox is not even possible if you have a plot, and this story does, so... You know... Fuck.) How you get from point A, to B, to C, however, can dramatically shift the tone of the story, the companions that are in the party, and the way people react to you in the future. It can also change which destinations you go to. After all, if you burn a village full of people to the ground to destroy a single enemy, word of your... Err... Exuberant heroism... Is going to spread, and you may want to simply avoid the next town and go through some caves or a forest instead. The end destination is always the same, but how you get there can vary wildly, and the ending that results can also vary wildly. You could be seen as heroes, or villains, as a result of the actions that led you up to the end. No worries, no Red Green or Blue ending choice for you. Obviously it's going to be "choose your favourite waifu: the ending" instead.

I'm kidding. That would also be lame. Besides, the obvious choice is the Kouri Plushie.

Q: OH GOD MY COLLAB CREATED A TIME PARADOX! IT'S SUCKING THINGS IN AT 88 MILES PER HOUR! WE'RE ALL GONNA DIE BY HOVERBOARD RELATED ACCIDENTS!
A: Leave the plot's stability to me, ultimately. I'd appreciate if you tried not to create plot holes, but in a story with this many protagonists, it will be inevitable. So I'll simply use GM posts to help course correct and get actions in an appropriate order. If I have to, I may even break a player's post to give them something new to work with, so they won't be trapped in a plot hole. You'll see what I mean, it's a lot less scary than it sounds.

EDIT

Also, Mechanist technology resists magical interference. Ergo why mages don't just automatically wreck guys with guns by blowing up their gunpowder bags, or freezing their gun barrels.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: 1 person
Now to throw Kouri back down those stairs and pretend this never happened.

Fun RPing with all y'all. Good hustle. Can't wait to do this again.

Just to clarify my IC post, Amaia isn't actually plotting to do anything against Kouri, she's just being an idiot and trying to shift blame because she's embarrassed that she turned into a staring creep for a minute there. She's neat like that.

*looks at the IC* ... I need to get some reading done... And I do believe, I will start bringing something on my days off at the GF's house in order to... like... post and stuff. :T

Also, I just realized... Brovo, you're collecting bears. Between Jorick, Limey and I... You've got too many *waggles a finger*

We bears need to work together to make Brovo give up his silly ferrets and embrace the greatness of bears, obviously.

*looks at the IC* ... I need to get some reading done... And I do believe, I will start bringing something on my days off at the GF's house in order to... like... post and stuff. :T
Probably should. I plan on punting the IC forward with a travel sequence + villain POV foreshadowing post on either Monday or Tuesday.

@Limeypanda I don't work until the evening today, and tomorrow I have off entirely, giving us plenty of time to finish our collab. Everyone else, finish yo posts in that time. For those who haven't done a travel sequence yet, don't worry, I won't ramshackle your characters forward for you. You still retain control. I'll go out of my way to try and ease it for y'all. :ferret:

Reactions: Seba
We bears need to work together to make Brovo give up his silly ferrets and embrace the greatness of bears, obviously.
That sounds like an awful lot of effort.
@Limeypanda I don't work until the evening today, and tomorrow I have off entirely, giving us plenty of time to finish our collab. Everyone else, finish yo posts in that time. For those who haven't done a travel sequence yet, don't worry, I won't ramshackle your characters forward for you. You still retain control. I'll go out of my way to try and ease it for y'all. :ferret:
Tomorrow sounds like the winner. I'm travelling back today, so I'll be busy for a while.

Status
Not open for further replies.