The Legend of Heroes: Tales of the World OOC

• So many newbies lately! Here is a very important PSA about one of our most vital content policies! Read it even if you are an ancient member!
Status
Not open for further replies.
Psst, quick poll: Which do you think is better, hardback or paperback comics?

It's for scientific Blu research. Answer dis.

Reactions: Pachamac
Psst, quick poll: Which do you think is better, hardback or paperback comics?

It's for scientific Blu research. Answer dis.
Okay, so as a major comics nerd, the answer to this question is... complicated.

It depends upon the book in question. For me, I have no real preference for hardback or paperback in general, but it depends upon the release. I tend to buy quite a lot of hardback books that are described as omnibus or deluxe, because these tend to carry more issues then the typical trade paperback would, and be cheaper per issue for it. For example, omnibuses can contain like forty issues, or deluxes twelve to eighteen depending on the release. And whilst these hardbacks are expensive, on a per issue basis they tend to be cheaper (and have the art be oversized too).

But there are some paperback releases that I prefer when they contain a hefty sum of issues for a reasonable price too, and they tend to be a lot easier to hold, read and carry too. I think I generally prefer these if and when I can... omnibuses are great value, but being so big, it makes them heavy too.

But you also get some books where there's a hardback and paperback release of the exact same six issue content, and for these I tend to prefer the paperback version because when the books are that thin, hardbacks can make the spine of the book pretty tight (and the paperbacks are cheaper on a per issue basis). On the flipside with these releases, paperback version doesn't come out until about six months after the hardback. Again it varies.

Now, if all of that sounded extremely complicated and confusing, I'd totally understand, but in the end the answer depends on 'it varies'. Is Blu's scientific research looking at particular comic collections she wants, or something different? Because if you're looking to buy something in particular but wanna know if the hardback or paperback version is better, I'd definitely be able to help recommend which is better for you.

Last edited:
  • Thank You
Reactions: Capt. Blu
I don't read many comics lmao, but I know with books you really can't beat a beautifully bound hardback.

Comics are different though. I like my omnibuses since I don't read comics often so if I do get one I tend to churn through lots in a sitting. And yeah, they're often hardback. But I think I prefer paperbacks overall because they lend themselves better to showcasing pictures. They're not bound as tight, and the flexibility means you can get all kinds of angles of light on them.

I art nerded that response lmfao I'm sorry

• Thank You
Reactions: Capt. Blu
I don't read many comics lmao, but I know with books you really can't beat a beautifully bound hardback.

Comics are different though. I like my omnibuses since I don't read comics often so if I do get one I tend to churn through lots in a sitting. And yeah, they're often hardback. But I think I prefer paperbacks overall because they lend themselves better to showcasing pictures. They're not bound as tight, and the flexibility means you can get all kinds of angles of light on them.

I art nerded that response lmfao I'm sorry
Depends on the hardback @ showcasing art. The bigger hardbacks allow more ease of opening the books up so you don't get as much gutterloss, and if they're oversized as well, then even better at showcasing art.
It's for that and also future reference when selling comics. Yupyupyup
You're opening up a comic shop?

As another comic nerd in this group, I honestly tend to favor paperbacks. They are just easier for me to read. And yeah, as much as I'd love to have a very nice, artsy display - I value practicality over all else.

But then again, I also like comixology and digital comics, so there's that lol. Don't have to worry about storage at all!

Gonna start working on my post now. :)

I really need to get a tablet and try out digital comics sometime. I mean, the amount of space my collection takes is... quite something. I have a pretty good library of comics, gdi >_>

The price of digital being the same as physical is dumb though.

Hello, sorry if I missed it but are you guys still accepting? Thanks!!

You need the patience of a saint to create comics, so props and good luck to you :D

And @Sapphy, I'm afraid that no, we aren't accepting. Thanks for taking interest though, it's really flattering haha.

Waagh, nothing like having a random Internet outage followed by a computer meltdown! I'll try to catch up and post something tonight.

I feel you, Rapido

I would like my comics (and all other books) hardcover all the time if I weren't so poor :'( Good luck & have fun with that, Aki!

EDIT: Poost is up, hmu if I got anything wrong or whatever haha. Got a bunch of tests tomorrow so wish me luck, folks e.e
*goes to sleep instead of studying*

Last edited:
Tomorrow/Today is Monday ew

And good luck with your comics, Aki c:

I think I'll use my pass card today so I can go to sleep and hopefully feel awake for once in the morning. Feel free to continue the scene with Ari and Syed being shiny Lumieres and doing lines all the while trying not to gnaw off their fingers in worry. Don get your stuff together bro *joins in the slapping*

After much pondering like everyday for the last week, I'm definitely skipping today x_x Too behind on my homework. I'm terribly sorry, I'm having a rough time with the increased homework load and final projects since I have exactly one week of school left ;A;

Since Kathi's skipping I've edited an extra line into Sy's segment to lead on for Fox a little better. Go nuts you dazzling writer, you.

OH also I believe it's Ryver's birthday today? I remember you're a fellow zodiac cusp like... well a lot of us here lmfao.

Happy Birthday, yo.

• Love
Reactions: Fox of Hearts
Oh wow, happy birthday Ryver!! ^^

Freddydance.gif

• Love
Reactions: Fox of Hearts
Status
Not open for further replies.