• So many newbies lately! Here is a very important PSA about one of our most vital content policies! Read it even if you are an ancient member!
She seemed worried about... oh. It clicked in his head, and that thought made him sweep past her, rolling the sleeves to his elbows. "I will be able to fly." He didn't say that sometimes he wobbled or pitched to one side. He wouldn't let any harm come to her. "I would not wish for you to fear that any harm might beset you." He fixed the bottoms of his pants before combing one hand through his hair.

"If you do not require anything else right now, we can depart. We will stop to return Rexia's clothes to her before we leave, though we will undoubtedly be stuck there for some time if she knows we are leaving." Rexia had a habit of talking a lot, and Saraph could never bring himself to leave until she stopped.

Saraph realized why she would be worried about flying with him, but as he reassured her that she wouldn't get hurt, she wanted to say it wasn't herself she was worried about. But before she could think to correct his assumptions, he combed his hand through his hair charmingly and spoke again.

"If you do not require anything else right now, we can depart. We will stop to return Rexia's clothes to her before we leave, though we will undoubtedly be stuck there for some time if she knows we are leaving."
Lyra laughed a little at that. It was obvious that Rexia enjoyed company. "Let me just grab some jeans and then can get going. I'll meet you at the door then." Lyra smiled, picked herself up off the floor with only a little difficulty and walked back to her room to slide on the jeans she'd arrived in. She pulled her hair into a high ponytail with the black ribbon and headed toward the doorway to walk with Saraph. By now it was easy or her to walk on her own, but it would probably be troublesome for any long period of time.

Saraph opened the door, leading Lyra outside with long strides. It didn't take them long to reach Rexia's, as Saraph made sure he was beside Lyra rather than in front. If she fell, it would be easier to catch her, but she had healed up over the past two days, so he had little to worry about.

Rexia must have been waiting for them, for she burst through the door, ready to embrace Saraph. However, he held out the clothes to shield his body from her arms. With a light and sarcastic harrumph, Rexia took the clothes and smiled at Lyra. "You look better today!" she said, circling around before giving a pointed glance to Saraph. "Where are you going?"

"Out."

"Out where?"

"You are not my mother, Rexia. I do not have to tell you where I go."

"Oooh, are you going to the we--!" Saraph's hand pressed to her mouth, muffling her words.

"I appreciate silence about our destination, if you please." Rexia's golden eyes glared, but she shook herself away from his grip before going to give Lyra a light hug, arms around her neck rather than her waist. "Have fun, okay? I know you'll like where he's going to take you. Be good, Saraph."

"Am I not already?" he asked, tilting his head. Rexia only laughed, flipping her hand at them before going inside, clothes draped over her other arm. Once she was gone, Saraph glanced down at Lyra. He held out his hand for her. "If you trust me, I will carry you, as I promised."

Lyra was a bit chilled when she walked beside Saraph on their way to Rexia's house. She had forgotten to bring the robe he'd lent her. It wasn't a big deal though. Surely, if she stood close beside him, his body heat would keep her warm enough. When Rexia threatened to tackle-hug Saraph, he held out her clothes in defense. Again, Lyra giggle at the two even as Rexia complimented her injury's progress. On the inside, Lyra was just as curious as Rexia about the destination he seemed to want to show her so much. Well now she knew at least that it might start with 'we-'
Before she could consider what it could possibly be, Rexia gave her a painless hug and wished her well. Lyra hugged her back. "Thanks Rexia." She said, smiling at the Cloudis' departing remarks. Then Saraph so politely held out his hand to offer her transportation via winged being unlike any other way she'd traveled before. Lyra gave him a bright smile and put her soft hand in his, stepping close so he could pick her up easily.

Saraph lifted her up, maneuvering her limbs so her arms were around his neck. Once she was secured, he pushed off the ground and flapped his wings several times. Wind whooshed around them as Saraph flew up into the island's atmosphere. He didn't dare get too close to the storm. He didn't want to tear himself or Lyra apart. Circling around, Saraph flew down, far below the island. The most pointed part of the island's underbelly was where he was headed.

He wobbled a few times with the wind and his oversized wing, but he never let Lyra go or made her feel like she was going to fall. When they reached the bottom of the point, he could see his destination: a massive tunnel leading up into the heart of the island. He flew vertical, his wings still spread out completely. The tunnel did nothing to cramp his flying. The higher they got, the brighter the tunnel's end became. When Saraph finally reached the top, she could see why he wanted to show her. The Life-fire, in a rainbow of fiery swirls, circled the chamber where they landed. Saraph set Lyra down so she could look around. The sight was truly one of a kind, as the colors bounced off the wall like a massive kaleidoscope made of flames.

"Does this please you?" he asked Lyra, adopting a neutral stance with his wings folded against his back.

• Love
Reactions: Ravenbelle
Lyra held onto him tightly as he flapped himself off the ground. The higher they rose, the wider Lyra's eyes became. Her stomach flew into her throat every time he wobbled as they soared into the open air where there was no cloud to catch them. Lyra stared at Saraph's powerful wings as they worked in synchronized waves of beautiful ebony feathers. This she did to distract herself from the height and the fact that she could just about detect where the wind barrier swirled around the island harshly. Saraph swooped down below the island and Lyra gasped, closing her eyes and hiding her face in his neck as she held onto him for dear life. Her heart was racing as they flew vertically into a large chamber where he finally set her down on some sort of platform in the center of the cavernous heart of the island. Lyra felt a sort of heat radiating all around her and finally opened her eyes to he most beautiful sight. She could have never guessed something so gorgeous ever existed. No wonder it was magical...
Lyra raised her head and looked around the entire chamber, chocolate eyes reflecting the rainbow of colors blazing all around her like a laser light show of flames. Her bangs were covering one eye, but she was too amazed by the massive beauty around her to move it out of the way.
She then turned to Saraph, who'd asked her a question. She hesitated for a moment, staring at his eyes which also reflected the rainbow bouncing around the whole heart of the Island of Clouds. He was thing of dreams. He had never been more amazing than right at that moment. "Please me?" Lyra whispered. "It--This is...wow. Indescribably beautiful. Comparable, even to your singing..." Lyra took a short step toward him, then ran forward the rest of the way in order to wrap her arms around him tightly. "Thank you." She said, her cheek resting comfortably against his beating heart. She could hardly hear it over the roaring flames of the Life-fire all around them, but it was there. Her arms locked beneath his wings and she wondered if she'd ever been this happy before. If she'd ever worn a smile so wide and careless.

Saraph smiled as she bounded at him to hug him. She had summoned the strength despite her injuries, or maybe it was the Life-fire doing its work subtly on her body. He returned her embrace with a flick of his arms and wings before he pulled her away. "Watch," he said, the command soft in his voice as he turned her around to gaze at the flames. His wings flared out completely and the strange fire responded, swirling around them closer than before.

Saraph opened his mouth and a river of words spilled from his mouth, pitched into a song. It lasted less than a minute, but as he sang, the notes hung in the air and the flames almost began to dance. It spiraled around them both, close enough to touch but never quite making it to their skin. As the last part of the song ended, the fire rushed down like a stream of lava, curling in a circle around them before flying up in an ascent of color. Light jumped to every corner and back down, creating a faint rainbow on the ground in front of them.

Both Saraph and the Life-fire were putting on a show, but neither one of them seemed to mind.

Saraph returned her hug, to which she smiled widely, then gently turned her around to 'watch'. The sight all by itself was amazing so she didn't think it could get any more magnificent. Until Lyra heard the slight ruffle of feathers behind her as Saraph spread his wings over the harmless, roaring flames.
The Life-fire responded immediately the, swirling closer and closer as Saraph's incredible song echoed in the chamber. The Heart of The Island of Clouds was very much alive and the flames of color dancing around Lyra were nearly too overwhelming. Her breathing pattern was becoming deeper as she gasped in wonder. She didn't seem to notice how the fire was affecting her. Lyra just knew that this had to be the most magical moment of her very short life. The energy of the Life-fire bouncing and swishing around her wasn't even touching her, and yet she could still feel the pure energy and warmth emanating from them.
No wonder Erith and Pallick want so badly for them to leave. This powerful fire is tio much for humans to handle. They'd surely abuse it.
But Lyra's mind was too distracted by the beautiful display capturing every ounce of her attention to think about it. As the song began to (sadly) end, the Living flames rose to the top of the chamber and bounced back down, concluding their fiery performance with a subtle rainbow on the ground.
For a long moment, Lyra could only stare, then even when she could speak it was only a breathless "Woah... It really is alive..."
Lyra felt like a live wire. The pure energy and magic skittering around her, healing her, was the sparks left behind. She was breathing them in without noticing. Everything suddenly seemed very...perfect. Lyra's ribbkn was loosening again, so as not to drop it or burn it, Lyra sqeezed it tight in her fist, wishing her mom could have been here to see this...

Saraph smiled from behind her. The Life-fire seemed to have a mind of its own, and it enjoyed all living things, good or bad. It enjoyed putting on a show when it was able. Saraph didn't mind it, and neither did Lyra. However, after the spectacle ended, Saraph allowed her to watch for a little while longer before he put a hand on her shoulder.

"I am glad you enjoyed the trip, but we must go now," he said, steering her toward the exit. Overexposure to the Life-fire in such a short time was dangerous. It was best taken in small amounts. While Saraph hadn't risked anything yet, he would if she continued to stay in its presence.

Without waiting for a protest, Saraph scooped her up and jumped from the edge of the platform of the well. He dipped down before flapping up, circling around the bottom of the island before he climbed in altitude and landed near a set of the colorful trees that paved the way into the Rain-Bowed Forest. "I am sorry that I took you away as quickly as I did."

Saraph's hand on her shoulder jolted her back to the present. She stared into his violet eyes and sighed, disappointed that they had to go already. But she followed him of course, shuffling her feet a little as he guided her to the edge of the platform before scooping her up as if she weighed nothing. He jumped an she took one last glance at the living, beating heart of Life-fire before gripping Saraph around the neck tightly. She felt a little stronger now somehow. Maybe it was the Life-fire's energy lingering? Or the reaction from flying so high above the ground? Or possibly...the ribbon squeezed in her fist as if her life depended on it?
Well it doesn't matter now. So Lyra watches Saraph's wings move gracefully around the bottom of the island before flapping up toward the top again, her hands girring the back of his neck for dear life. It's not that she's afraid of heights, just that...this sort of flying isn't exactly something she's used to yet. It makes her nervous, even though Saraph had said he wouldn't let her get hurt. He landed beside the entrance to a very vibrant forest of sorts that quite reminded Lyra of Dr. Suess. Still held in Saraph's very capable embrace, Lyra looked up and met his eyes. It didn't seem to take a lot of effort to simply hold her like that at all. "It's okay. I'm grateful that you showed me. No matter how long we could stay. I understand it must be dangerous for you to be showing me, some human, the most important resource of your home. Would they punish you too badly is they knew I know?" Lyra asked, worry for him obvious in her question.

Saraph hadn't even realized he was still holding her when her voice floated up from a higher point than normal. At her question, he shook his head. "I suppose that is not untrue. We have not had humans on our island for many years. While there is no rule against taking them to the Well of the Life-fire, I believe it would be frowned upon. It is our most precious resource, though I understand you humans find gems rare and valuable as well." His ears twitched and jingled to emphasize his point.

"Regardless of whether or not I am allowed to take you to the Well, it is dangerous. Life-fire is beautiful and gives us our extended years, but if one glimpses too far into the heart of the flames, it will damage them permanently. It permeates our food and the other creatures on this island, so we are not overexposed. We have little reason to travel to the Well, so we rarely see it as I showed you."

He paused, but realizing she may have odd feelings about being taken to a dangerous place, Saraph added, "We did not stay long enough to be harmed by the Life-fire. I do not wish you to worry about that. I did speak a promise that I would not harm you, and I intend to keep that."

He released her, planting her on her feet in front of a large tree. The park was a royal purple with golden flecks, and the inside was lavender. The leaves were a rosy pink and the flowers were neon blue, red and white. "Even here, the Life-fire changes the color or the trees. I know trees on your world love for many centuries, but these will live even longer. To prevent their roots from reaching the bottom of the island, we cut them every one hundred years. It gives us wood to repair our houses and to burn for fire when it becomes cold. We have harsher storms when they occur, though it is rare to see one. They are quite lovely, if you discount the force of the rain, wind, and snow that breaks down our homes. Would you like to see the rest of the forest? There are many different colors of trees, some hues even you may have not seen before."

Lyra gave Sarah a small smile when he emphasized his point with his bejeweled ears, then listened closely until he asked her the question she'd been waiting for since seeing the outskirts of the whimsical forest. Lyra smiled at him and nodded, already taking a few steps toward the Dr. Suess trees. "Have you ever heard of Dr. Seuss? He's a human, but you might have possibly procured one of his books..." Lyra asked absently, already running one of her fingers along the trunk of a lavender tree.

"I do not believe I have heard of this man. What does he write about?" Saraph followed her closely, but not enough to hover. While the Rain-Bowed Forest was lovely, it did hold some creatures that were better left alone. Saraph and the other Cloudis did not eat the forest creatures, even if some of them were game back on Earth. If they ate meat, they ate fish, since those were some of the creatures that hadn't been changed by the Life-fire.

So Saraph was cautious as Lyra moved deeper into the forest with him. He could defend himself, and many creatures did not attack unless provoked or if they felt threatened, but he kept up his guard anyway.

Lyra continued to wander through the forest, still ever so slightly buzzed on the excitement of Life-fire. She was distracted for a few long moments after Saraph asked his question. It may have seemed that she wasn't going to answer him, simply because the birds high above them were so large and colorful. She couldn't stop admiring the way their muticolored wings flapped and lengthened in the sun. But the her deep brown eyes widened, realizing that she hadn't said a word. She turned back to him for a moment, smiling slightly. "Oh, well mostly nonsense..one fish, two fish, red fish, blue fish..but he writes books for children so it's okay. He encourages imagination and one's own beliefs...'unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, nothing is going to change. It's not.' I guess you could say he was more of an..inspirational, imaginative poet. I just thought of him because all of the illustrations in his books are so colorful...like this forest. " It was obvious by the way that she explained the author that she had read quite a lot of his books. Lyra wrapped the ribbon grasped in her fist around her hair again, letting it form a low ponytail over her right shoulder.

Last edited:
It was like Lyra forgot he was there. The magic of the forest wasn't subtle, and it was drawing her in. Still, it made him smile even as his ears twitched to listen for creatures. Finally, she turned and answered his question. In his mind, the rhyme sounded silly, but she spoke with such fondness and care that he didn't have the heart to voice his opinion. If she made the connections with her children's books to the forest, he would let her have that. Everyone saw the Rain-Bowed Forest differently.

Roughly ten more minutes of walking had passed when Saraph noticed Lyra's lack of limping. She seemed much better than before, and she hadn't complained about being in pain at all. "Lyra, are you alright?" Well, she seemed far beyond that. "You do not seem to be injured anymore." Had the Life-fire cured her? He hadn't recalled letting the flames touch her, but even being in its full presence, it could have done something.

As if brought back from a dream or daze, Saraph's voice snapped Lyra's attention away from the amazing sights around her. She had been staring at a large, shiny hummingbird creature when he spoke from behind her. The enchanting bird flew away and he had her full attention again. "I'm okay for now. I mean, I think most of the bruises have faded.." Lyra brought her fingers up to press against her hips and lower back, but there wasn't much lingering soreness she could feel. "As for my ribs,...maybe they'd be ready to unwrap soon." Her fingers traveled upward to probe at them herself, but pressing against her broken ribs was much more painful than the faded bruises. Her eyes watered a little, her eyes shut tight and she scrunched up her nose at the self-inflicted stabs of pain. The she shook her head, brushing it off immediately. Another thing she hadn't seemed to have noticed was that she wasn't that cold up here anymore. It was chilly but she could bear it without a jacket now. Strange. She had wanted to stay as close to Saraph as she could just for his body heat, but now she was only shivering if she stayed away from him for maybe half an hour. Was she really getting used to this place so quickly?

Saraph watched her facial expressions change as she moved along her abdomen. So she was still injured, but she was walking fairly well. Maybe if he'd kept her closer to the heart of the Life-fire, she would be better. However, he didn't speculate on it. He'd already said how damaging overexposure was, so he wasn't going to say that maybe it was helping her injuries along.

So instead of mentioning it, he only stepped up to her. He had meant for his hand to land on her shoulder, but he misjudged the distance and his fingers ended up brushing her hair. Despite everything that had happened to her, Lyra's red locks were remarkably soft, and Saraph noticed how the sunlight filtered through the trees and reflected on the strands, making them shiny. Naturally attracted to shiny things, Saraph found himself letting his hand glide over the top of her head and down her ponytail. "Your hair is lovely," he said, but his voice was quieter than normal, like he was afraid to disturb the peace.

Finally realizing what he was doing after a solid ten seconds, Saraph blinked and took a short step back. "I apologize. That may have been too forward of me." His dark eyes trained on the ground, the tan color on his face flushing a slight pinkish hue.

Lyra was trying to breathe without hurting herself when Saraph stepped up and trailed his fingers in her ponytail. Her bronze eyes met his as the soreness of her ribs faded again. Lyra closed her eyes, content to let him run his hands through her long ponytail. "Your hair is lovely." His melodic voice said. Behind her closed eye lids, Lyra saw snippets of old memories depicting a brown eyed lady with a beautiful smile brushing her hair. It always felt so nice when her mom used to do that...
But then Saraph stepped away and the nice, tingly feeling of his hand in her hair dissipated to nothing. She opened her eyes as he blushed and so did she.
"No..it's okay I..." She stopped herself by biting her lip. She would'Ve said I enjoyed it. "Thank you." She mumbled quietly, giving him a small smile for the compliment.

Saraph sensed something from her. Was it sadness? No, it felt more like longing. Some Cloudis were sensitive to emotions, and Saraph was not one of them. Still, he tried hard to understand what she was feeling. Maybe he was wrong and she hadn't liked it. Still, he felt a need to do it again, and he acted upon it this time. He replaced himself beside her, fingers lightly brushing over her locks.

"Does this make you sad?" he asked, unsure of what she saw in her mind. "I was under the impression this was something humans did when they were closer than friends. I did not mean to overstep boundaries, if I have done so."

Saraph watched her with those beautiful violet eyes for a moment before stepping closer to her again. His dexterous fingers brushed through her hair and Lyra sighed contentedly.
"Does this make you sad?" The Cloudi asked, uncertainty tainting his harmonious voice. "I was under the impression this was something humans did when they were closer than friends. I did not mean to overstep boundaries, if I have done so."
Lyra shook her head slightly, smiling to herself. "Funny how you seem to know more about human relationships than I do. Don't worry. If I didn't want you near me, you'd know."Her cheeks grew eveen more rosy with that admission. "And..I don't feel sad exactly...Mm, you could say..nostalgic."