The Grimm Wars: Winter is Coming

Status
Not open for further replies.
"A beautiful song, a lovely voice, and wise words; Quite the impressive repertoire, one that I hope they speak of when they write tales of you, Lord Severus," With a final smile towards the young man who was much too old for his own age, the young lady pushed upon the door of the carriage to step out from the confined space. "However, now is the time for us friends to separate, if only for a little while. Kel will most likely wish to enter her name into the lists for the melee as soon as possible, and I'm sure she would appreciate me being there as her quote-unquote sponsor." She looked about, her eyes finding the Carnival Grounds where many of the best merchants seemed to be selling their wares and vendors sold delicious foods and a certain longing filled her as the desire to become lost in the festival drew inside her heart.

"Though afterwards... Do not be afraid to find me in and amongst the stalls of the Carnival itself. It is always nice to peruse the latest bread and games with as many good friends as you can find the time to be with," And with that, the princess bid them a wave of goodbyes and parted from their company, searching for the knight she called her closest advisor.
Their goodbyes done, Severus first headed back to the Somnium tent, making sure they knew where he was....If briefly. He had no intention of remaining close for long. Lord Constanze and his retinue were in the lists, nothing to do with him. The good Doctor Watson had better things to do and really, this was why they dragged him here, right? To talk and walk around. Well, if he was going to do both? He was certainly going to do it his way. And so, while everyone was busy he casually moved to open up his books, select pages hollowed out with thin, custom made parts. Dwarven work mostly, with the aide of a gnome of the Guild of Artificers. In a corner as was his wont, he frowned and with a more intense look of concentration, he began to assemble the parts. Alone, each one would not attract much attention. But together, here? It all came together.

And with a grunt, he cinched up what would hopefully render canes useless in future. And glittering beautifully, was the lands first engineered leg brace. Oh certainly, there had been such things before. Always out of a heavy metal such as iron and thick. It off-set the persons stride and weighed them down unduly. This one was a combination of leather and very, special metal. Hollow, but reinforced on the inside like the bones of birds he had dissected before. Light, yet strong- That was the entirety of the project. This one was beautiful, gilded in silver and etched with designs of the Royal House of Somnium.

His pants leg went down and he began to test it out. He walked back and forth first...Not bad. He tried a brisker walk around the quarters of his tent...Even better. Ten seconds later found him acting more daring, attempting a sort of hopscotch skip that ended with him wincing as he leaned on a table for support. Ok, maybe it needed some work. But it relieved so much pain! So long as he didn't jump or run, he was pretty much in the clear.

He laughed.

The Blue Fairy Hospital was going to love this!

And in higher spirits, he snatched his cane and a black derby hat, sneaking out and away from the tourney grounds in favor of the Carnival one.

@The Tactician @Forrest @Gummi Bunnies @DapperDogman @T.O.M. @C.T. @OrlandoBloomers @Schnee Corp Lawyer @Indolent @york

Haskel breathed a sigh of relief as the caravan entered into the city. Finally, civilization. Not exactly far from the road, with its brigands and vicious animals and monsters of the night, but walls and gates and guards went a long way. As opposed to those of Cardomas, the Inquisitor had no tents, no bags, no supplies, but he had his mail, his sword, and his talisman of his faith, and that was indeed enough for him.

And indeed, what a city they had entered into. Haskel's home kingdom of Velen had some cities, but they were few and far between the massive, foreboding mountains, and even they had populations of little over one or two thousand. This, however, was a city, without a doubt. Extravagant, populous, brightly lit and bustling with commerce. He'd seen others like it, but not many, and truly none as grand as this.

And none, he wagered, with as much sin. Not apparent on the surface, it never was, but he could feel it. Bristling beneath his skin like mites, darting behind stalls and into alleyways at the burning light of his glare. But that was something for another time. Haskel had more pressing matters to attend to, truly.

"Why, I see no reason why not. I would be honored to cast my name into the melee beside yours, Dame Kel. Though, I believe I shall only enter into the tournament of swordplay, as I have no mount to speak of, and indeed, no experience in matters of the lance." A glint of its own was almost visible through the visor of the Inquisitor's helm, if not apparent visibly, then easily noticed through the uncharacteristic jovial tone of his voice. "Now then, if we have no other pressing matters to deal with..."

With these few words, Haskel turned on his heel and made his way towards the Tourney Grounds, his heavy, purposeful stride and imposing look already causing citizens to hurry out of his way.

@Ringmaster @The Tactician @Gummi Bunnies @DapperDogman @C.T. @Schnee Corp Lawyer @Indolent @york @OrlandoBloomers @T.O.M.
"Do not worry, Sir Logarius, Kel has no desire to join the joust. The one time she tried to take up the lance, she spent a month getting buck off her chosen mount and was likelier to smack herself with her weapon than strike the dummies set up."

"I really wish you wouldn't tell that tale anymore..." With knight grunting in annoyance and princess laughing in amusement, the duo were ready to follow Haskel and did so. The trio made for an interesting show, such a regally-dressed noblewoman walking along the path with two heavily armored warriors who seemed intent on joining the tournament. However, perhaps it was a common enough sight during such an event as not many of the others around them seemed to stare as they walked towards the tourney registration.​

"Do not worry, Sir Logarius, Kel has no desire to join the joust. The one time she tried to take up the lance, she spent a month getting buck off her chosen mount and was likelier to smack herself with her weapon than strike the dummies set up."

"I really wish you wouldn't tell that tale anymore..." With knight grunting in annoyance and princess laughing in amusement, the duo were ready to follow Haskel and did so. The trio made for an interesting show, such a regally-dressed noblewoman walking along the path with two heavily armored warriors who seemed intent on joining the tournament. However, perhaps it was a common enough sight during such an event as not many of the others around them seemed to stare as they walked towards the tourney registration.​
The man in charge of the registrations was a fussy little man. Dressed neatly and with a ruffled collar, quill in hand as he took down the names. Looking up, he smiled and asked politely.

"Hello there. Here to register? Name, Coat of Arms and which contests will you be joining? Currently, we've Jousting, Swordplay as the main events. Lesser, but no less exciting are Archery, Magecraft and Bardic contests. Which would you be for, noble sirs and madams?"

@The Tactician @Forrest

The man in charge of the registrations was a fussy little man. Dressed neatly and with a ruffled collar, quill in hand as he took down the names. Looking up, he smiled and asked politely.

"Hello there. Here to register? Name, Coat of Arms and which contests will you be joining? Currently, we've Jousting, Swordplay as the main events. Lesser, but no less exciting are Archery, Magecraft and Bardic contests. Which would you be for, noble sirs and madams?"

@The Tactician @Forrest
Both women stepped forward, though Kel took the lead as Keladry stood behind and slight to her side. She eyed the man for a moment, as if judging his dress as unfitting for one who was organizing a tournament of combat, before simply returning the smile, "Dame Kel, sponsored by the House of Cardo and using their Coat of Arms, and the Melee, sir. Lady Keladry of Cardomas here can verify my good standing as a knight and blood as nobleborn."

@Ringmaster @Forrest

Both women stepped forward, though Kel took the lead as Keladry stood behind and slight to her side. She eyed the man for a moment, as if judging his dress as unfitting for one who was organizing a tournament of combat, before simply returning the smile, "Dame Kel, sponsored by the House of Cardo and using their Coat of Arms, and the Melee, sir. Lady Keladry of Cardomas here can verify my good standing as a knight and blood as nobleborn."

@Ringmaster @Forrest
"And a noble name it is ma'am! I shall place it down, straight away!"

He copied out the requisite information, noted the coat of arms and sponsor before finally smiling.

"As per my role, I am obligated to explain the rules. First of all, blunt swords will be provided but armor is a must. You gain points attacking limbs, but the places of greater points will always be the abdomen and the helm. No attacking below the belt, sword play only. No wrestler tricks nor fist fighting. A judge will watch to rate accordingly should the attacks end in a tie. Above all, show the might of your realm proudly."

He beamed.

"May I tempt you noble ones, to donate to our pot? All proceeds will go to charity, as per the orders of the Royal Family of Arendelle."

@The Tactician @Forrest

"And a noble name it is ma'am! I shall place it down, straight away!"

He copied out the requisite information, noted the coat of arms and sponsor before finally smiling.

"As per my role, I am obligated to explain the rules. First of all, blunt swords will be provided but armor is a must. You gain points attacking limbs, but the places of greater points will always be the abdomen and the helm. No attacking below the belt, sword play only. No wrestler tricks nor fist fighting. A judge will watch to rate accordingly should the attacks end in a tie. Above all, show the might of your realm proudly."

He beamed.

"May I tempt you noble ones, to donate to our pot? All proceeds will go to charity, as per the orders of the Royal Family of Arendelle."

@The Tactician @Forrest

Kel nodded, remembering each of the rules from her training years. It irked her that wrestling and fists were not allowed as well, given their place upon the battlefield as well, but she did not complain aloud either. It wouldn't reflect well upon Cardomas for her to start a scene over such a long standing rule of most tourneys, so instead, she simply returned the beaming smile with a smirk and a nod, "Thank you, sir, and I think I will do so. It's only fair that I put something forward to enter into the melee."

"You mean it's only fair if we both put something forward," Both hands dropped golden coins into the waiting hands of the supervisor, Kel's eyes widening in surprise as Keladry added another five gold coins to her one. As her head turned to her friend, the young lady shrugged, "It's only right that as your sponsor, I pay the most of your way, Kel, especially if it goes to helping the poor. It's only fair."

"Ah... Alright. Well then, if we are ready then, it's time for us to move aside and allow Haskel to sign his name."

"Right then, with pleasure."

As both moved out of the way of the line to register, Kel kept an eye upon Logarius, as if still sizing him up.​

Kel nodded, remembering each of the rules from her training years. It irked her that wrestling and fists were not allowed as well, given their place upon the battlefield as well, but she did not complain aloud either. It wouldn't reflect well upon Cardomas for her to start a scene over such a long standing rule of most tourneys, so instead, she simply returned the beaming smile with a smirk and a nod, "Thank you, sir, and I think I will do so. It's only fair that I put something forward to enter into the melee."

"You mean it's only fair if we both put something forward," Both hands dropped golden coins into the waiting hands of the supervisor, Kel's eyes widening in surprise as Keladry added another five gold coins to her one. As her head turned to her friend, the young lady shrugged, "It's only right that as your sponsor, I pay the most of your way, Kel, especially if it goes to helping the poor. It's only fair."

"Ah... Alright. Well then, if we are ready then, it's time for us to move aside and allow Haskel to sign his name."

"Right then, with pleasure."

As both moved out of the way of the line to register, Kel kept an eye upon Logarius, as if still sizing him up.​
"Thank you your graces! Your rich generosity will surely give our needy much needed relief."

And thus satisfied, he turned to deal expectantly with Haskel.

A tap on the shoulder of Keladry would herald the following.

"Excuse me. I was passing and couldn't help but notice what you did."

2eec9c95da1a7ba97f36abf36a691728.jpg

"That was a very kind thing you did."

He extended his hand with a smile to her.

"Prince Hans of the South Islands."

@Forrest @The Tactician

@The Tactician @Forrest
Haskel's gauntlets came to a rest on the registrations table, his form shadowing the man behind it. Despite the Inquisitor's imposing figure, there was little menace pervading him, and he spoke in a friendly voice, if a little growling. "Inquisitor Haskel Logarius, Paladin of the Cathedral, Red Hand of the Grand Inquisitor, and a New Man of Pure Heart and Stalwart Spirit in the Eyes of the Allfather. Representing the Cathedral of the Allfather, if that wasn't already obvious. I'll be using their talisman as my coat of arms." Just in case this man of a foreign land didn't know what the Cathedral's symbol was, Haskel pulled a large iron one from beneath his furred cloak. It was a thick ankh, lightly engraved, with two antler-like growths coming up from the top and terminating a few inches above.

"Joining the event of Swordplay." This last sentence was followed with Haskel turning his head a bit towards Kel, his helmeted face revealing nothing. A cursory nod ended it as he returned her glance, before he turned back to the man behind the desk. "And I would like to donate." A gauntlet slipped beneath the cloak, before it emerged once again, carrying a small burlap bag. Haskel threw the bag down onto the table with a heavy clink. Mostly coppers, a few silvers, and two gold pieces; a traveling paladin had few worldly treasures, but it was still a generous offering for Haskel.

Not even bothering to hear what the man had to say afterwards, the Inquisitor was already walking a bit away from the table, standing semi-near Dame Kel and Lady Keladry, along with this strange newcomer. He didn't really have an idea of what he was going to do now. Perhaps staying with the procession would be a good idea?

@Ringmaster @The Tactician

What could he say? What could he say that had any sort of meaning behind it, in public view? That he knew what it felt like to be a stub? His mother loved him dearly, he knew that. But that was the prerogative of mothers. Outside of that, he felt little worth in who he was and what he did. It was simply experiments indoors, away from all the serious work. Enough to keep him busy and prevent him from becoming little more then an ornament. He knew Somnium in many respects was forward thinking in its methods....Too forward for a lot of kingdoms. But thats what happened when a prince married a scullery maid and produced heirs. It engendered a more flexible way of thought and the kingdom followed after. His brother for the crown heir, his sister the diplomat....Where did that leave him?

He didn't know. Aloud, he said quietly. His voice taking a rolling, deeper quality as he half chanted, half sung the following.

"Roads go ever ever on,
Over rock and under tree,
By caves where never sun has shone,
By streams that never find the sea;
Over snow by winter sown,
And through the merry flowers of June,
Over grass and over stone,
And under mountains in the moon."

"Roads go ever ever on
Under cloud and under star,
Yet feet that wandering have gone
Turn at last to home afar.
Eyes that fire and sword have seen
And horror in the halls of stone
Look at last on meadows green
And trees and hills they long have known."

"I've traveled far afield in my mind, scouring maps at home. Seeing those lines of ink and studying the accounts of explorers who have been there, used to be a childhood fancy of mine. I learned them in the quiet of the library, the rolling stone language of the Dwarven Clans and the light, quick language of the Elves. I learned the languages of places long since dead and dreamt of places yet alive. If there is anything I learned in my studying? Its that it takes all sorts to make a world. It would make traveling obsolete, to imagine everyone as the same as at home."

He was surprised at his words, but they came from the heart. And looking at Keladry, he glanced away to look outside with the first, faint and true smile on his face.

It made him look his age and lightened much of the darkness that he seemed to accumulate with quiet bitterness.

----------------

Upon Lorie's hand, the ringing of bells sounded loud and clear. The fairy flitting overhand and like a cat curling around an owner, nuzzled Lorie's palm and thumb before flying away. A glowing ball of light, among many. Such were the little people here.

And then they came to the town.

Arendelle's capital city, the gates opening wide to receive them all as the roar of the mass of thousands met them. Lord Constanze turned to head for the Tourney Grounds. The better to register their group and those who would be competing in the lists, which was broken up into two main events. Jousting and Swordplay. Armor was required for both obviously, as both were knightly pursuits. A horse as well for the Jousting, though the lances themselves would be provided, though not the shields. Lesser, though not less exciting contests of skills would be Archery, Magecraft and Bardic Contests of skill with their own prizes. To enter these, one would need to head to the Tourney Grounds. Here as well, the tents of the nobility would be set up. Flags and banners fluttering in the crisp, autumn air for those who decided to join here.

The other location of interest was the Carnival Grounds. Here, the merchants jostled for position selling their wares. Food mostly, from meat pies to hot wine to malt beer to oxen roasted on open flames, sliced from the spit and given on skewers. The cooking of many kingdoms filled the air with a hissing, whetting appetites for the entertainments brought on for all. Here, there were puppet shows, storytellers who told tales of heroes from the childrens stories of Martin the Warrior to the more serious and darker stories of the lord of Mordor, whose land laid far away if not far enough for many. Toy wagons producing clockwork mechanisms and glass jewelry made a fine, brisk business. Mages and Hedgewitches likewise in fortune telling or charms.

Games off to the side, from ring toss to darts, to goldfish catching would be making a good trade. But chief in place would be the wheel of fortunes time: spin to win. And posters on prominent places would describe dancing and music later. Who knows what else might be here?

In the distance, the Castle Grounds would be seen looming in the distance. Its gates open to everyone, unusual for a royal family but a welcome one.

Where you went, was up to you.

@The Tactician @Forrest @Gummi Bunnies @DapperDogman @T.O.M. @C.T. @OrlandoBloomers @Schnee Corp Lawyer @Indolent @york
Once arriving to the town, Haraise had to take a moment to process the fact that she was now in some different environment. Along with the lack of her memories of her living life, the spirit had only became acquainted with the forest that surrounds from all over. With such a larger environment to glaze through, Haraise felt confident that she would finally find her killer and end her time here on the ground world.

Observing the other travelers for this event, the spirit saw that most were headed towards the Tourney Grounds. She assumed that her killer would be there, but with how crowded it was going to be... and the likelihood of the killer not being there, Haraise didn't feel as if she should go there. Same would go for the Carnival Grounds. It just seemed too... lax of a place for a ruthless killer to stick around, and Haraise surely had no use with the festivities that were offered there.

That only left the Castle Grounds, the spirit supposed it wouldn't be a waste of time to head in that direction. She only had a little bit of concern on heading towards such a high-profile area, but due to how it happened to be a castle for this town alone, Haraise came to the conclusion that there shouldn't be that much people here in the first place.

Taking her first steps towards her destination, Haraise attempted to not look so... extraordinary, but that in itself was hard to do as a spirit possessing a lantern.

@Ringmaster

Haskel's gauntlets came to a rest on the registrations table, his form shadowing the man behind it. Despite the Inquisitor's imposing figure, there was little menace pervading him, and he spoke in a friendly voice, if a little growling. "Inquisitor Haskel Logarius, Paladin of the Cathedral, Red Hand of the Grand Inquisitor, and a New Man of Pure Heart and Stalwart Spirit in the Eyes of the Allfather. Representing the Cathedral of the Allfather, if that wasn't already obvious. I'll be using their talisman as my coat of arms." Just in case this man of a foreign land didn't know what the Cathedral's symbol was, Haskel pulled a large iron one from beneath his furred cloak. It was a thick ankh, lightly engraved, with two antler-like growths coming up from the top and terminating a few inches above.

"Joining the event of Swordplay." This last sentence was followed with Haskel turning his head a bit towards Kel, his helmeted face revealing nothing. A cursory nod ended it as he returned her glance, before he turned back to the man behind the desk. "And I would like to donate." A gauntlet slipped beneath the cloak, before it emerged once again, carrying a small burlap bag. Haskel threw the bag down onto the table with a heavy clink. Mostly coppers, a few silvers, and two gold pieces; a traveling paladin had few worldly treasures, but it was still a generous offering for Haskel.

Not even bothering to hear what the man had to say afterwards, the Inquisitor was already walking a bit away from the table, standing semi-near Dame Kel and Lady Keladry, along with this strange newcomer. He didn't really have an idea of what he was going to do now. Perhaps staying with the procession would be a good idea?

@Ringmaster @The Tactician
The next person in line stepped forward and placed down their coat of arms. A direwolf head snarling on a field of white and green as a rolling brogue spoke.

"Robb Stark. Registering under the Swordplay event."

It was a chance meeting as he made his donation. The eldest son of the House of Stark, a family of knights in Arendelle. By his side, his squire would be holding the leash to a direwolf's collar before knight nodded a greeting to all present before leaving in a sweep of fur cloak.

@Forrest @The Tactician

---------------
Once arriving to the town, Haraise had to take a moment to process the fact that she was now in some different environment. Along with the lack of her memories of her living life, the spirit had only became acquainted with the forest that surrounds from all over. With such a larger environment to glaze through, Haraise felt confident that she would finally find her killer and end her time here on the ground world.

Observing the other travelers for this event, the spirit saw that most were headed towards the Tourney Grounds. She assumed that her killer would be there, but with how crowded it was going to be... and the likelihood of the killer not being there, Haraise didn't feel as if she should go there. Same would go for the Carnival Grounds. It just seemed too... lax of a place for a ruthless killer to stick around, and Haraise surely had no use with the festivities that were offered there.

That only left the Castle Grounds, the spirit supposed it wouldn't be a waste of time to head in that direction. She only had a little bit of concern on heading towards such a high-profile area, but due to how it happened to be a castle for this town alone, Haraise came to the conclusion that there shouldn't be that much people here in the first place.

Taking her first steps towards her destination, Haraise attempted to not look so... extraordinary, but that in itself was hard to do as a spirit possessing a lantern.

@Ringmaster
"Well, whats this?"

Even in a fantastic world such as this, a floating lantern was something unusual to see. Enough to attract attention as a redheaded young woman peered closely at it. Coming from the direction of the castle, she was obviously hoping to join in on the excitement as she mused aloud.

"I don't think you're a ghost...Its daytime. Ghosts don't come out at day....I think. I don't see or hear wings...."

She waved a hand idly around where the arm would normally be.

"Not invisible either. Hey, sorry but I wanna know-What are you?"

She winced suddenly and shook her head.

"Sorry, that was rude. Well, if you're a floating lantern, we can't all help how we're made."

She smiled and bent her knees to eye level in her imagined idea of where the eyes were.

latest

"I'm Anna. Whats your name?"

@Gummi Bunnies

What could he say? What could he say that had any sort of meaning behind it, in public view? That he knew what it felt like to be a stub? His mother loved him dearly, he knew that. But that was the prerogative of mothers. Outside of that, he felt little worth in who he was and what he did. It was simply experiments indoors, away from all the serious work. Enough to keep him busy and prevent him from becoming little more then an ornament. He knew Somnium in many respects was forward thinking in its methods....Too forward for a lot of kingdoms. But thats what happened when a prince married a scullery maid and produced heirs. It engendered a more flexible way of thought and the kingdom followed after. His brother for the crown heir, his sister the diplomat....Where did that leave him?

He didn't know. Aloud, he said quietly. His voice taking a rolling, deeper quality as he half chanted, half sung the following.

"Roads go ever ever on,
Over rock and under tree,
By caves where never sun has shone,
By streams that never find the sea;
Over snow by winter sown,
And through the merry flowers of June,
Over grass and over stone,
And under mountains in the moon."

"Roads go ever ever on
Under cloud and under star,
Yet feet that wandering have gone
Turn at last to home afar.
Eyes that fire and sword have seen
And horror in the halls of stone
Look at last on meadows green
And trees and hills they long have known."

"I've traveled far afield in my mind, scouring maps at home. Seeing those lines of ink and studying the accounts of explorers who have been there, used to be a childhood fancy of mine. I learned them in the quiet of the library, the rolling stone language of the Dwarven Clans and the light, quick language of the Elves. I learned the languages of places long since dead and dreamt of places yet alive. If there is anything I learned in my studying? Its that it takes all sorts to make a world. It would make traveling obsolete, to imagine everyone as the same as at home."

He was surprised at his words, but they came from the heart. And looking at Keladry, he glanced away to look outside with the first, faint and true smile on his face.

It made him look his age and lightened much of the darkness that he seemed to accumulate with quiet bitterness.

----------------

Upon Lorie's hand, the ringing of bells sounded loud and clear. The fairy flitting overhand and like a cat curling around an owner, nuzzled Lorie's palm and thumb before flying away. A glowing ball of light, among many. Such were the little people here.

And then they came to the town.

Arendelle's capital city, the gates opening wide to receive them all as the roar of the mass of thousands met them. Lord Constanze turned to head for the Tourney Grounds. The better to register their group and those who would be competing in the lists, which was broken up into two main events. Jousting and Swordplay. Armor was required for both obviously, as both were knightly pursuits. A horse as well for the Jousting, though the lances themselves would be provided, though not the shields. Lesser, though not less exciting contests of skills would be Archery, Magecraft and Bardic Contests of skill with their own prizes. To enter these, one would need to head to the Tourney Grounds. Here as well, the tents of the nobility would be set up. Flags and banners fluttering in the crisp, autumn air for those who decided to join here.

The other location of interest was the Carnival Grounds. Here, the merchants jostled for position selling their wares. Food mostly, from meat pies to hot wine to malt beer to oxen roasted on open flames, sliced from the spit and given on skewers. The cooking of many kingdoms filled the air with a hissing, whetting appetites for the entertainments brought on for all. Here, there were puppet shows, storytellers who told tales of heroes from the childrens stories of Martin the Warrior to the more serious and darker stories of the lord of Mordor, whose land laid far away if not far enough for many. Toy wagons producing clockwork mechanisms and glass jewelry made a fine, brisk business. Mages and Hedgewitches likewise in fortune telling or charms.

Games off to the side, from ring toss to darts, to goldfish catching would be making a good trade. But chief in place would be the wheel of fortunes time: spin to win. And posters on prominent places would describe dancing and music later. Who knows what else might be here?

In the distance, the Castle Grounds would be seen looming in the distance. Its gates open to everyone, unusual for a royal family but a welcome one.

Where you went, was up to you.

Lorie Fisher
@The Tactician @Forrest @Gummi Bunnies @DapperDogman @T.O.M. @C.T. @OrlandoBloomers @Schnee Corp Lawyer @Indolent @Ringmaster

Lorie smiled, withdrawing her hand a few moments after the fairy had left; she wondered if there were any living around her own forest... They seemed friendly enough for the most part, it was nice to know the world outside of the forest wasn't as daunting as she had first thought it was. Speaking of which, she noticed that they were quickly approaching the once distant castle, and the city before it, Arandelle's capital if she had recalled... She took note that the lord had already went off to the Tourney grounds, probably to register those joining the competition, maybe she should head over too? Get herself on the list? Though the sights, smells, and of course... Sounds of the various events going on in this capital city was already drawing her attention... So many delicious foods, so many places to be... So many games she could take part in, it was almost overwhelming, but she didn't really have any money on her... Or, at least not that she remembered anyways.

However, as she began to head to the Tourney grounds to get herself registered, she could have sworn she felt something clink in a pocket to her right, was it just her imagination, or did she actually have some money on her? Concerns for later, she figured she'd get herself registered first, and then explore the Carnival Grounds... Though the castle grounds themselves also seemed rather appealing for her, though it was more of due to her curiousity if anything; she had wandered around Carnivals before, to sell a few trinkets, but she had never seen, let alone entered castle grounds before... She shook her head, deciding to worry about her endeavors here later, and figured she would register herself at the Tourney grounds before she did anything else.

Lorie Fisher
@The Tactician @Forrest @Gummi Bunnies @DapperDogman @T.O.M. @C.T. @OrlandoBloomers @Schnee Corp Lawyer @Indolent @Ringmaster

Lorie smiled, withdrawing her hand a few moments after the fairy had left; she wondered if there were any living around her own forest... They seemed friendly enough for the most part, it was nice to know the world outside of the forest wasn't as daunting as she had first thought it was. Speaking of which, she noticed that they were quickly approaching the once distant castle, and the city before it, Arandelle's capital if she had recalled... She took note that the lord had already went off to the Tourney grounds, probably to register those joining the competition, maybe she should head over too? Get herself on the list? Though the sights, smells, and of course... Sounds of the various events going on in this capital city was already drawing her attention... So many delicious foods, so many places to be... So many games she could take part in, it was almost overwhelming, but she didn't really have any money on her... Or, at least not that she remembered anyways.

However, as she began to head to the Tourney grounds to get herself registered, she could have sworn she felt something clink in a pocket to her right, was it just her imagination, or did she actually have some money on her? Concerns for later, she figured she'd get herself registered first, and then explore the Carnival Grounds... Though the castle grounds themselves also seemed rather appealing for her, though it was more of due to her curiousity if anything; she had wandered around Carnivals before, to sell a few trinkets, but she had never seen, let alone entered castle grounds before... She shook her head, deciding to worry about her endeavors here later, and figured she would register herself at the Tourney grounds before she did anything else.

There were a few knights and others hanging around near the registration. And seeing Lorie, the man taking down the names looked at her in askance.

"Are you here for the Bardic or Magecraft contests? I see no armor, nor bow with you."

@york @Forrest @The Tactician

-----------

Elsewhere around the Somnium side of the grounds, Lord Constanze having registered beforehand would pour out a measure of wine. Just a small one as it was, to deal with his current migraine as he sat down heavily into a chair. He considered himself lucky to get to the point where he was now. Not many knights in his position lived to this age, where he could see his daughters grow up. He supposed his wife had a lot to do with that. He missed her, but she was never one for traveling. Thank god something of her cunning entered their children.

He poured out another measure of wine and sighed. No. That was a lie. They had only ever had one child. Ivonne was a complication, but a happy one. He regretted breaking his vows to his wife, but he had done his best to salvage them as best he could. He loved her, that was the truth. No matter what others said of her, he did care for her deeply.

But he also loved Ivonne for the woman he saw in her as well, reminding him if he closed his eyes of the smell of rich moss and pine on what was once the frontlines against the dark forces and raiders on their kingdom. She had steel, his daughter borne of his lover. He liked to think she got that from him, but when she tilted her chin in that imperious manner he knew otherwise.

But right, to the reason why he was thinking of his daughter, approaching womanhood. And with a flick of his eyes towards the corner where a stack of books would be set aside, the chair would be notably empty. He sighed aloud.

Severus. There were rocks less hard then that boy's head once he got an idea into it. Hiding from the public eye unlike his brother the crown heir with his ideas for the kingdom, surrounding himself with the great ones or his sister the diplomat and wild child, Severus opted for shadows. Partly the operation long ago, partly his own imagined shortcomings. He was destined for something....What it is though, he had no idea. All he did know was that if he gave the world have a chance, they might decide for themselves if he was a quarter of the deformed monster he believed himself to be. The vanity of boys and he sipped his wine once more.

Already, there was progress though. Perhaps he should pay them a visit and he rose up, leaving the wine on the table as he walked out. A guard snapped to attention and Bishop tossed him the goblet, watching with a carefully blank face as he grabbed it with minor fumbles. In a serious tone, he spoke.

"Help yourself, there's wine on the table."

And with that, he was gone. One more knight among many, wandering the grounds.

"Thank you your graces! Your rich generosity will surely give our needy much needed relief."

And thus satisfied, he turned to deal expectantly with Haskel.

A tap on the shoulder of Keladry would herald the following.

"Excuse me. I was passing and couldn't help but notice what you did."

2eec9c95da1a7ba97f36abf36a691728.jpg

"That was a very kind thing you did."

He extended his hand with a smile to her.

"Prince Hans of the South Islands."

@Forrest @The Tactician
"Oh, um... Lady Keladry, representative of the Kingdom of Cardomas, Prince Hans," After an awkward beginning due to the man's sudden appearance and rather unneeded touching, Keladry returned the smile and took his hand with a slight bow of respect for him. "And thank you, sir, but you should also thank my guardian here, Dame Kel. If it was not for her wishing to sign into the competition and donating as well, I might not have realized they were taking donations."

However, while this went on, Kel's attention was elsewhere, deep enough in thought that she missed her person being brought up in conversation.
The next person in line stepped forward and placed down their coat of arms. A direwolf head snarling on a field of white and green as a rolling brogue spoke.

"Robb Stark. Registering under the Swordplay event."

It was a chance meeting as he made his donation. The eldest son of the House of Stark, a family of knights in Arendelle. By his side, his squire would be holding the leash to a direwolf's collar before knight nodded a greeting to all present before leaving in a sweep of fur cloak.

@Forrest @The Tactician

---------------

"Well, whats this?"

Even in a fantastic world such as this, a floating lantern was something unusual to see. Enough to attract attention as a redheaded young woman peered closely at it. Coming from the direction of the castle, she was obviously hoping to join in on the excitement as she mused aloud.

"I don't think you're a ghost...Its daytime. Ghosts don't come out at day....I think. I don't see or hear wings...."

"Sorry, that was rude. Well, if you're a floating lantern, we can't all help how we're made."

She smiled and bent her knees to eye level in her imagined idea of where the eyes were.

latest

@Gummi Bunnies
"Cannot even keep his own companion under control and requires a squire for the ferocious creature, and with a leash... Not very impressive."

Ned Stark's oldest had already failed to leave a good impression upon Kel without realizing it. The man seemed either too busy for his wolf's ownership, in which case it should been given to another, or simply was not strong enough to keep it under control on his own, which made it a danger to all if the squire lost control of it. The fact that they had to keep the wolf on a leash showed either it had not been trained well enough to stay and follow or was too wild to be taught such things, neither good marks upon the owner nor on his house.

It was honestly almost insulting to his own house how he seemed to treat the ownership of the literal symbol of the Starks.

"Huh? Kel, what are you talking about? What ferocious creature?" Keladry had missed all of Robb's entrance and exit excluding the sight of the back of his furs, and now, she was lost as Kel seemed to glare the man's form down from behind.

The knight shook her head, obviously not wishing to speak of the disappointment she had just seen, and turned to face her charge and the gentleman who had joined them, "It was nothing to concern yourself with, my Lady. Just a boy playing at beast mastery and swordsmanship. Now then, you are..." She looked Hans over, clearly not enthused by the manner of dress he had, "Clearly not here for the registration, Lord Hans. Unless you plan to wear something for the competition other than apparel fit for a ball."

"Kel, please, don't," The quiet horror that began to dawn on Keladry's expression as her friend seemingly had not a care if her words started an incident couldn't even begin to describe her fear that the man would become insulted.

@Forrest @Ringmaster @york

"Well, whats this?"

latest

@Gummi Bunnies
Haraise would pause in her steps as soon as she was approached by another person. Damn, so it was that hard to wander around as she was... and this might delay her in her search for her killer. Yet... this woman appeared to be very innocent, not seeming to be unnerved by the possibility of a possessed lantern. Haraise knew that if she did something to Anna... the result wouldn't go well for herself and her killer would get away with it as she is being dealt with.

"... H...ar...ai.. se."

For now, the spirit saw no reason to share it's name, given that it isn't really her real name... but Anna was asking about her name anyways. By the looks of it, it looked like the spirit possessing the lantern was about to move again.

@Ringmaster

"Oh, um... Lady Keladry, representative of the Kingdom of Cardomas, Prince Hans," After an awkward beginning due to the man's sudden appearance and rather unneeded touching, Keladry returned the smile and took his hand with a slight bow of respect for him. "And thank you, sir, but you should also thank my guardian here, Dame Kel. If it was not for her wishing to sign into the competition and donating as well, I might not have realized they were taking donations."

However, while this went on, Kel's attention was elsewhere, deep enough in thought that she missed her person being brought up in conversation.

"Cannot even keep his own companion under control and requires a squire for the ferocious creature, and with a leash... Not very impressive."

Ned Stark's oldest had already failed to leave a good impression upon Kel without realizing it. The man seemed either too busy for his wolf's ownership, in which case it should been given to another, or simply was not strong enough to keep it under control on his own, which made it a danger to all if the squire lost control of it. The fact that they had to keep the wolf on a leash showed either it had not been trained well enough to stay and follow or was too wild to be taught such things, neither good marks upon the owner nor on his house.

It was honestly almost insulting to his own house how he seemed to treat the ownership of the literal symbol of the Starks.

"Huh? Kel, what are you talking about? What ferocious creature?" Keladry had missed all of Robb's entrance and exit excluding the sight of the back of his furs, and now, she was lost as Kel seemed to glare the man's form down from behind.

The knight shook her head, obviously not wishing to speak of the disappointment she had just seen, and turned to face her charge and the gentleman who had joined them, "It was nothing to concern yourself with, my Lady. Just a boy playing at beast mastery and swordsmanship. Now then, you are..." She looked Hans over, clearly not enthused by the manner of dress he had, "Clearly not here for the registration, Lord Hans. Unless you plan to wear something for the competition other than apparel fit for a ball."

"Kel, please, don't," The quiet horror that began to dawn on Keladry's expression as her friend seemingly had not a care if her words started an incident couldn't even begin to describe her fear that the man would become insulted.

@Forrest @Ringmaster @york
He kissed her knuckles in courtly procedure, just in time for Kel to turn around and see it. : |

To her words, he smiled winningly.

"I'm just exploring first myself. There's plenty of time to get registered, more so with everyone having just arrived."

@The Tactician @Forrest @york

-----------------
Haraise would pause in her steps as soon as she was approached by another person. Damn, so it was that hard to wander around as she was... and this might delay her in her search for her killer. Yet... this woman appeared to be very innocent, not seeming to be unnerved by the possibility of a possessed lantern. Haraise knew that if she did something to Anna... the result wouldn't go well for herself and her killer would get away with it as she is being dealt with.

"... H...ar...ai.. se."

For now, the spirit saw no reason to share it's name, given that it isn't really her real name... but Anna was asking about her name anyways. By the looks of it, it looked like the spirit possessing the lantern was about to move again.

@Ringmaster
"Haraise? That's a nice name. Are you looking for someone?"

There was something about the lantern that put Anna almost in mind of a lost dog for whatever reason.

@Gummi Bunnies

He kissed her knuckles in courtly procedure, just in time for Kel to turn around and see it. : |

To her words, he smiled winningly.

"I'm just exploring first myself. There's plenty of time to get registered, more so with everyone having just arrived."

@The Tactician @Forrest @york

-----------------

"Haraise? That's a nice name. Are you looking for someone?"

There was something about the lantern that put Anna almost in mind of a lost dog for whatever reason.

@Gummi Bunnies
"Plenty of time to fool about and charm young ladies in waiting as well, prince? Well, perhaps I should inform charmers such as you that I do not take kindly to men 'exploring' my charge simply to pass the time," It was becoming clearer and clearer that Kel did not approve of this royal lout. : |

Keladry, her cheeks alight with a blush at the kiss by the man, huffed as her friend didn't let up, "Come now, Kel, he's simply being polite... and yes, quite the charmer." She shot the handsome young man a grin, one that promised more if he continued to be endearing.

Suddenly, I'm being reminded of why I absolutely hate courtly procedure and customs. Should go back to the old ways of keeping both yourself and your family guarded from untrustworthy louts like this man.

@Ringmaster @Forrest @york

The carnival grounds was heady. The intoxicating sounds, smells and feel jostled for position in Severus's brain, all making demands that he obeyed in a half daze as he strove to take in as much as he could. From the food stalls to the people hawking their wares as he strode alone, he felt...Well, it was a very odd feeling. Back home, there was always that undercurrent of obedience...People recognized him and there was a tendency to give way, save with a few. Another reason why he appreciated machines and books, at least they didn't stand on ceremony. Here? He was jostled, he was pushed and overlooked. Ordinary....It was a heady taste and it made him realize in hindsight just how little he knew of his kingdom. About its people and their struggles.

It was a disconcerting realization and he turned to leave.

Just in time for a suddenly splitting pain as something tackled his bad leg.

White light flashed behind his eyes as he gritted his teeth and clutched the head of his cane tightly to the point his knuckles turned white. Sweat poured from his forehead and he turned to see what had happened. Was he under attack? Did he err in leaving his escorts? The answer was no.

His attacker was a little girl. Dressed in a clean, if faded blue dress. Obviously her best one for the carnival. A wreath of flowers adorned her braided hair and tears beginning to well in her brown eyes. Severus followed her gaze down, to where an ice-and-fruit mixture had fallen. At this point, the little girl seemed to realize what she had done and looked worried now. A beat passed.

Severus knelt and held out two silvers.

"I'm sorry about that. I should watch where I'm going. Here, go get yourself two more scoops."

He wiped her tears absently with a clean hankerchief and felt like a dragons hoard as she began to smile again. She was going to be beautiful when she grew up, he could tell. And shyly, she presented as though it was a trade in exchange a flower from her wreath. Severus took it with the utmost gravity as he nodded in turn.

"Belle? Where are you?"

The little girl turned at the voice, before looking back. And with a shy wave goodbye, she dashed off once more into the crowd and was lost. Severus waved once absently before putting the flower in his lapel. Now that she was gone and all was right?

He indulged in curses under his breath at his pain as he limped off for the closest bench.

@The Carnival Grounds

-----------------
"Plenty of time to fool about and charm young ladies in waiting as well, prince? Well, perhaps I should inform charmers such as you that I do not take kindly to men 'exploring' my charge simply to pass the time," It was becoming clearer and clearer that Kel did not approve of this royal lout. : |

Keladry, her cheeks alight with a blush at the kiss by the man, huffed as her friend didn't let up, "Come now, Kel, he's simply being polite... and yes, quite the charmer." She shot the handsome young man a grin, one that promised more if he continued to be endearing.

Suddenly, I'm being reminded of why I absolutely hate courtly procedure and customs. Should go back to the old ways of keeping both yourself and your family guarded from untrustworthy louts like this man.

@Ringmaster @Forrest @york
"Your loyalty does you credit, lady knight. As does your obvious love for your subjects my lady. I've known a few nobles hardly worthy of the name, who sought to deliver in name rather then in action. That you two possess such a friendship tells me more then any amount of words of how your people must consider you. If I may be so bold?"

If allowed, he'd kiss her hand firmly once more and let go as he smiled.

"Have you seen much of the tourney grounds yet? If you're not so busy, I would be happy as a friend to escort you with the permission of your valiant friend here."

The carnival grounds was heady. The intoxicating sounds, smells and feel jostled for position in Severus's brain, all making demands that he obeyed in a half daze as he strove to take in as much as he could. From the food stalls to the people hawking their wares as he strode alone, he felt...Well, it was a very odd feeling. Back home, there was always that undercurrent of obedience...People recognized him and there was a tendency to give way, save with a few. Another reason why he appreciated machines and books, at least they didn't stand on ceremony. Here? He was jostled, he was pushed and overlooked. Ordinary....It was a heady taste and it made him realize in hindsight just how little he knew of his kingdom. About its people and their struggles.

It was a disconcerting realization and he turned to leave.

Just in time for a suddenly splitting pain as something tackled his bad leg.

White light flashed behind his eyes as he gritted his teeth and clutched the head of his cane tightly to the point his knuckles turned white. Sweat poured from his forehead and he turned to see what had happened. Was he under attack? Did he err in leaving his escorts? The answer was no.

His attacker was a little girl. Dressed in a clean, if faded blue dress. Obviously her best one for the carnival. A wreath of flowers adorned her braided hair and tears beginning to well in her brown eyes. Severus followed her gaze down, to where an ice-and-fruit mixture had fallen. At this point, the little girl seemed to realize what she had done and looked worried now. A beat passed.

Severus knelt and held out two silvers.

"I'm sorry about that. I should watch where I'm going. Here, go get yourself two more scoops."

He wiped her tears absently with a clean hankerchief and felt like a dragons hoard as she began to smile again. She was going to be beautiful when she grew up, he could tell. And shyly, she presented as though it was a trade in exchange a flower from her wreath. Severus took it with the utmost gravity as he nodded in turn.

"Belle? Where are you?"

The little girl turned at the voice, before looking back. And with a shy wave goodbye, she dashed off once more into the crowd and was lost. Severus waved once absently before putting the flower in his lapel. Now that she was gone and all was right?

He indulged in curses under his breath at his pain as he limped off for the closest bench.

@The Carnival Grounds

-----------------

"Your loyalty does you credit, lady knight. As does your obvious love for your subjects my lady. I've known a few nobles hardly worthy of the name, who sought to deliver in name rather then in action. That you two possess such a friendship tells me more then any amount of words of how your people must consider you. If I may be so bold?"

If allowed, he'd kiss her hand firmly once more and let go as he smiled.

"Have you seen much of the tourney grounds yet? If you're not so busy, I would be happy as a friend to escort you with the permission of your valiant friend here."

"I permiss, though I will be happy to escort you two as well. I'd rather not any improper acts take place while you explore," Kel's heated glare made it clear who she believed would commit such acts, and Keladry could only sigh before picking up where she left off.

"Yes, I would love to, and we are friends not simply because of duty, Prince Hans. My dear Kel and I have been raised together, her family eternally loyal to mine. When it came time to become a loyal servant to I, she chose the blade over the politics as she felt I was well-versed enough and needed a protector," The lady's smile turned to her guardian, radiating a familiar warmth that only came from years of companionship and absolute trust in each other, "And a better protector, I couldn't ask for."

"I try, my lady, and a better friend, I couldn't ask for."

The same warmth was felt in both the upturned smirk and the suddenly less venom filled words of the knight, though both the warmth and the lack of venom disappeared as she turned back to the prince, "Anyways, are we ready then? Both I and Lady Keladry have been looking forward to this event for months now and do not wish to miss any of the pleasant experiences we may have here."

"I permiss, though I will be happy to escort you two as well. I'd rather not any improper acts take place while you explore," Kel's heated glare made it clear who she believed would commit such acts, and Keladry could only sigh before picking up where she left off.

"Yes, I would love to, and we are friends not simply because of duty, Prince Hans. My dear Kel and I have been raised together, her family eternally loyal to mine. When it came time to become a loyal servant to I, she chose the blade over the politics as she felt I was well-versed enough and needed a protector," The lady's smile turned to her guardian, radiating a familiar warmth that only came from years of companionship and absolute trust in each other, "And a better protector, I couldn't ask for."

"I try, my lady, and a better friend, I couldn't ask for."

The same warmth was felt in both the upturned smirk and the suddenly less venom filled words of the knight, though both the warmth and the lack of venom disappeared as she turned back to the prince, "Anyways, are we ready then? Both I and Lady Keladry have been looking forward to this event for months now and do not wish to miss any of the pleasant experiences we may have here."
Prince Han's had no objection. And his arm in Keladry's if she took it, he'd begin to share what he knew of the tourney grounds from his prior explorations. From the impromptu stables set up, to the neighborhood of tents where the nobility were staying. Banners of Somnium, Aurora and other diverse kingdoms fluttered in the Autumn breeze and Han's would point out with modest pride, his own island chain symbol among them. More interesting were individual coat of arms, from the House of Stark to the Montagues and Capulets from other kingdoms far away. The arena itself for the jousting was still being set up, carpenters working hard as they did so.

It was an industrious occasion and even watching them was a pleasure. He also had some idea of other contests as he spoke.

"-And over there, the Vikings will hold their impromptu contests borne from their traditions. They trade often with my islands and they're....Quite the people. Its unofficial, but if they have certain expectations."

He then gestured towards a somber looking knight wandering the grounds.

casavir_by_annahelme-d9t6vf3.jpg

"And that one is one of the more serious competition. Lord Bishop Constanze, Duke of Somnium. He prefers jousting to swordplay, but has registered in both before."

@The Tactician

• Useful
Reactions: Schnee Corp Lawyer
Prince Han's had no objection. And his arm in Keladry's if she took it, he'd begin to share what he knew of the tourney grounds from his prior explorations. From the impromptu stables set up, to the neighborhood of tents where the nobility were staying. Banners of Somnium, Aurora and other diverse kingdoms fluttered in the Autumn breeze and Han's would point out with modest pride, his own island chain symbol among them. More interesting were individual coat of arms, from the House of Stark to the Montagues and Capulets from other kingdoms far away. The arena itself for the jousting was still being set up, carpenters working hard as they did so.

It was an industrious occasion and even watching them was a pleasure. He also had some idea of other contests as he spoke.

"-And over there, the Vikings will hold their impromptu contests borne from their traditions. They trade often with my islands and they're....Quite the people. Its unofficial, but if they have certain expectations."

He then gestured towards a somber looking knight wandering the grounds.

casavir_by_annahelme-d9t6vf3.jpg

"And that one is one of the more serious competition. Lord Bishop Constanze, Duke of Somnium. He prefers jousting to swordplay, but has registered in both before."

@The Tactician
Keladry took both his arm and the sights in stride, mesmerized by the festivities as they went. Neither her nor Kel had seen so many banners except for a festival held many years before in Cardomas's capital of Angles, and it seemed as if there was hundred times more variety in the coats they adorned the tents and banners, each representing a family of high birth and standing throughout the kingdoms. It was a spectacle of extravagant proportions, and it was a spectacle that the lady would willing submerge herself in while on the arm of the Prince of the Southern Islands.

"He seems to be having a rough time of wandering about. Perhaps the melee is his way of venting frustration in a positive manner."

And on the other hand, Kel seemed more focus upon the various competitors that Hans so frequently and willing pointed out to them. Each was a foe to face in the melee, and see them now allowed the knight better assess who would be a danger in the ring. Hans was of little concern to her in that regard; he seemed more like to trip upon his own feet rather than be knocked aside by anyone's blow. On the other hand, the surly-seeming Constance was certainly someone to watch for. Anger in a man such as he coupled with the training he was sure to have received as a knight was a dangerous combination, one that could prove volatile in the upcoming tournament.

Now there was only one group of competitors left, and they had just been brought up by the prince.

"The Vikings, eh? I remember hearing tales of when the men of the north raided the lands of Cardomas long ago. Fierce in dealings and stubborn in battle... You say they had impromptu matches of their own, Prince Hans? I wonder if they would allow a knight such as I to take part."

Uh oh, she's looking for a match before the melee even starts.

Somehow, the princess already knew that whatever was about to happen would go badly. She had heard of the Bikings as well, and of their tempers, and somehow, Kel struck her as one who would cause their tempers to flare. That, or become best friends with them.​

Status
Not open for further replies.