The Grimm Wars: Winter is Coming

Status
Not open for further replies.
Afternoon wore away to evening. The crowds entertainments changed to reflect and lamps were lit. The night was banished and the celebration continued.

At the Castle Grounds, the nobility and the merchants and other people of consequence gathered. Strangers from distant lands, invited to the personal table of the King and Queen of Arendelle. Long tables would be spread throughout the courtyard and servers would flit back and forth to serve the guests. Fairies flitted through the air, providing a beautiful display and here, every knight in the tournaments from the Tarkeen's of Calorman to the leaf-engraved armored figures of Aurora and more, would have a chance to know each other. Lord Bishop Constanze in particular was a grave figure, greeting those who said hello with stern gravitas befitting his station.

At the Carnival Grounds a large area would be set apart for dancing as a band of musicians tuned their fiddles and drums, before the music began to play. Lively and energetic, setting toes tapping and couples swirling around the beaten grass. On the side, people clapped and off in a roped off section, an old man in a pointy hat would be setting up fireworks.

And while the Vikings were invited to both, they preferred their own sort of party. Held at their longhouse camp, with those who liked their company they held their own feast and dance, with the Thain of Bearclaw presiding over their feast with supplies and drink provided from the castle.

Finally, there was the only quiet area in the immediate area....The Tourney Grounds, all complete and ready for the next days works.

Where you went, depended on you.

@The Tactician @Forrest @Gummi Bunnies @DapperDogman @T.O.M. @C.T. @OrlandoBloomers @Schnee Corp Lawyer @Indolent @york
Lorie Fisher
@The Tactician @Forrest @Gummi Bunnies @DapperDogman @T.O.M. @C.T. @OrlandoBloomers @Schnee Corp Lawyer @Indolent @Ringmster

Lorie seemed unable to decide at first the Longhouse Camp looked like a good place to investigate if she was looking for a potential successor, but... Then again, how many Vikings were also pyromancers? Besides, as fun as it seemed over there, the sort of party they were sporting just didn't seem to be her style. The Carnival Grounds seemed inviting enough as is, there were even fireworks being set up, that's a first! Hmm... But she wasn't such a good dancer, and she wasn't very certain how she would fare in a crowd like that, it seemed like alot of fun... But perhaps she should stop by later, it didn't seem like she would find a potential successor, let alone a pyromancer in the Carnival Grounds either... Except for that strange pointy hatted man, but she was fairly certain he was quite older than her...

After a few moments of indecisiveness, Lorie finally concluded, through the process of elimination, that the Castle Grounds seemed to be the best place to go... There were many knights, fairies, and others gathered around, including alot of nobility and... Food! It was then that she felt a rather gnawing sense of hunger, though the castle grounds were also crowded, it seemed a bit more peacefull there than the Carnival grounds, and besides, it appeared to be the best place to find a potential successor, amidst the crowd. However, it was quickly becoming apparant to her that the biggest driving force behind her sudden interest in the Castle Grounds was her evergrowing appetite... Come to think of it, she hadn't had a proper meal ever since she left home, and the fairies flitting around seemed to draw her attention as well... Perhaps she could get to know a few of them? As her mind continued to wander, Lorie too, began to wander towards the Castle Grounds, forgetting for the moment, about the rather gruesome vision she had experienced not too long ago.

And while the Vikings were invited to both, they preferred their own sort of party. Held at their longhouse camp, with those who liked their company they held their own feast and dance, with the Thain of Bearclaw presiding over their feast with supplies and drink provided from the castle.

Finally, there was the only quiet area in the immediate area....The Tourney Grounds, all complete and ready for the next days works.

Where you went, depended on you.​
The Viking camp feast party was remarkably tempting, even looking on from here. She would have to check that out at some point in the night. Friendly but also rowdy...hell, even maybe a good ole' bar brawl to get the blood flowing. Sounded good as far as she was concerned. Not that she would object to just simply drinking them under the table either.

But for now she preferred the relatively quiet solace among the tourney area, slowly walking through and surveying the grounds with a keen eye. Specifically the best place for her to be at and observe comfortably. "Should be an interesting day."

@Ringmaster @The Tactician @tourney grounds

At the Carnival Grounds a large area would be set apart for dancing as a band of musicians tuned their fiddles and drums, before the music began to play. Lively and energetic, setting toes tapping and couples swirling around the beaten grass. On the side, people clapped and off in a roped off section, an old man in a pointy hat would be setting up fireworks.
That is where Corrin would have wanted to be...​
At the Castle Grounds, the nobility and the merchants and other people of consequence gathered. Strangers from distant lands, invited to the personal table of the King and Queen of Arendelle. Long tables would be spread throughout the courtyard and servers would flit back and forth to serve the guests. Fairies flitted through the air, providing a beautiful display and here, every knight in the tournaments from the Tarkeen's of Calorman to the leaf-engraved armored figures of Aurora and more, would have a chance to know each other. Lord Bishop Constanze in particular was a grave figure, greeting those who said hello with stern gravitas befitting his station.​
But this was where she was. Nobody had forced her or anything to attend the dinner rather than the more lively festivities, but she made it about two steps out of the tent and towards the music and dancing before the guilt started to creep in. She'd spent the entirety of the afternoon fiddling with her clothes, lounging, going over who was who with Jakob and Felicia, fighting against putting on these stupid shoes, getting reports from Kaze, and basically everything she possibly could apart from actually going out and introducing herself to the rest of the nobility. The entire reason she'd come here in the first place. After Jakob's pep talk and reminder of how important this visit could be... she'd huffed and turned instead for the castle grounds.

Thankfully Corrin wasn't completely at a lost for what to do at a formal dinner like this. While it wasn't her favorite way to enjoy a meal, she'd grown up surrounded by servants and was often joined by her siblings for meals, which while somewhat more informal still required some basic decorum. So she'd sat down primly in the seat offered to her and offered the servant a nod of thanks and....

Were those fairies?!

*Five minutes of gawking at the little ones and trying to subtly coax one to her later*

Eventually Corrin realized how goofy she probably looked staring wide eyed at the little people flitting through the air and cleared her throat in embarrassment. She forced herself to look back down at her food and try a few bites, before surreptitiously glancing around to see who was seated near her.

@Ringmaster @other feast people​

That is where Corrin would have wanted to be...​

But this was where she was. Nobody had forced her or anything to attend the dinner rather than the more lively festivities, but she made it about two steps out of the tent and towards the music and dancing before the guilt started to creep in. She'd spent the entirety of the afternoon fiddling with her clothes, lounging, going over who was who with Jakob and Felicia, fighting against putting on these stupid shoes, getting reports from Kaze, and basically everything she possibly could apart from actually going out and introducing herself to the rest of the nobility. The entire reason she'd come here in the first place. After Jakob's pep talk and reminder of how important this visit could be... she'd huffed and turned instead for the castle grounds.

Thankfully Corrin wasn't completely at a lost for what to do at a formal dinner like this. While it wasn't her favorite way to enjoy a meal, she'd grown up surrounded by servants and was often joined by her siblings for meals, which while somewhat more informal still required some basic decorum. So she'd sat down primly in the seat offered to her and offered the servant a nod of thanks and....

Were those fairies?!

*Five minutes of gawking at the little ones and trying to subtly coax one to her later*

Eventually Corrin realized how goofy she probably looked staring wide eyed at the little people flitting through the air and cleared her throat in embarrassment. She forced herself to look back down at her food and try a few bites, before surreptitiously glancing around to see who was seated near her.

@Ringmaster @other feast people​
"You have never seen the Fair Folk before?"

By her side, a ponderous figure in a red tunic looked down at his dinner partner. Unlike most here, he had chosen simple garb yet its quality was as equal to the most puffed up peacock in assembly. Muscles bulged beneath the silk sleeves as he toyed with his wine glass and on his shoulder, in a simplistic manner was the emblem of an Oak Tree, crowned with leaves of flame. A tiny motto was engraved beneath it and if Corrin tried to read it, the man smiled as he quoted.

"The first and last blow.' The motto of my house. My wife embroidered it for me."

He then smiled gently and introduced himself with stern gravitas yet gentle bearing.

"I'm Bishop Constanze. Duke of Somnium, though it won't stop me from getting my head bashed in by these young bucks tomorrow."

That was the gift of Bishop....Parenthood had only honed his gentle instincts, which reached out to those who felt awkward in most settings and made him popular among his soldiers. A good commander and a worthy knight.
Lorie Fisher
@The Tactician @Forrest @Gummi Bunnies @DapperDogman @T.O.M. @C.T. @OrlandoBloomers @Schnee Corp Lawyer @Indolent @Ringmster

Lorie seemed unable to decide at first the Longhouse Camp looked like a good place to investigate if she was looking for a potential successor, but... Then again, how many Vikings were also pyromancers? Besides, as fun as it seemed over there, the sort of party they were sporting just didn't seem to be her style. The Carnival Grounds seemed inviting enough as is, there were even fireworks being set up, that's a first! Hmm... But she wasn't such a good dancer, and she wasn't very certain how she would fare in a crowd like that, it seemed like alot of fun... But perhaps she should stop by later, it didn't seem like she would find a potential successor, let alone a pyromancer in the Carnival Grounds either... Except for that strange pointy hatted man, but she was fairly certain he was quite older than her...

After a few moments of indecisiveness, Lorie finally concluded, through the process of elimination, that the Castle Grounds seemed to be the best place to go... There were many knights, fairies, and others gathered around, including alot of nobility and... Food! It was then that she felt a rather gnawing sense of hunger, though the castle grounds were also crowded, it seemed a bit more peacefull there than the Carnival grounds, and besides, it appeared to be the best place to find a potential successor, amidst the crowd. However, it was quickly becoming apparant to her that the biggest driving force behind her sudden interest in the Castle Grounds was her evergrowing appetite... Come to think of it, she hadn't had a proper meal ever since she left home, and the fairies flitting around seemed to draw her attention as well... Perhaps she could get to know a few of them? As her mind continued to wander, Lorie too, began to wander towards the Castle Grounds, forgetting for the moment, about the rather gruesome vision she had experienced not too long ago.
Seeing a new guest come in, Bishop made a gesture to a server to set a seat at their table. And as Lorie was led, he rose to his feet and pulled out her chair for her. Cordially, as though she was noble as anyone else, he spoke.

"Welcome mage. I hope you brought an appetite to tonight's dinner."

@Schnee Corp Lawyer @york

--------------
Nighttime. Ah, the sweet darkness that had began to shroud those few spots sheltered from the dying sunlight. This was his sort of atmosphere!
"How liberating" he muses, a hand drawing back his hood as he turns smirks slightly. His current skin was that of a completely unassuming man, he wanted to look about for a little while, before he went and started having his fun with the place

"Fireworks~" he coos as he spots a man who resembles a wizard setting some up. He couldn't resist, and he skipped his way there, slinking between shadowy spots with an unnatural speed and grace, sneaking up on the man and coughing gently in a bid to get his attention "I couldn't help but notice you're going to be putting on quite the show...Perhaps I could be of help?" he offers, his plain smile disguising the mischievous intent

@Ringmaster
The smile he was greeted with from the old man was knowing as he said pointedly.

"Of course, I would welcome assistance...Though I would expect you'd prefer your original features?"

Bright eyes peered beneath his eyebrows as he added.

"You're safe here. This is a celebration after all. My name is Alatar and this is my assistant, Queezle."

A half-elven looking woman lifted off a crate of fireworks down from the cart, looking at Jack and winking once, coyly. Continuing, the old man continued blithely.

"Not my own work of course, but a friend was kind enough to lend out his stash for such an occassion while he worked elsewhere. Good man, good man. So if you wish to help, feel free to assist Queezle with the crates. I'll be back with drinks afterwards for our celebration."

He smiled kindly and muttering to himself, began to arrange certain arrays with all the gravity of a man doing a complex floral arrangement. Queezle stared at Jack before asking bluntly.

"So how did you get here? Botched summoning?"

@DapperDogman
The light of day passed and their time in the camp of the resolute and imposing Vikings came to an end. Though at first scared of the men she had heard vicious tales of as a child, Keladry found the experience enlightening with Grishnu's tale and speaking on the omen shedding more truth upon the culture than any tutor's fear-mongering propaganda. The princess would need to remind the king of Cardomas that the past was the past and that it seemed they just as the men of the south feared the evil that awaited just out of sight in the world. It would be wise for them to speak more frequently with the longship sailors, to better understand each other, and she would see to it that such the task was undertaken.

"Come now, Kel, join the dancing with me! 'Tis a carnival!"

But for now, that was forgotten in favor of the festivities of Carnival Ground around her, for the rhythmic pounding of the drums and feverish playing of the fiddles. It was to these sounds along with the excited steps of the dancers' feet that the young princess allowed herself to be lost to, much to the amusement of her friend who shook her head with a genuine smile, "No no, you go on ahead and have fun, my lady. Clad in armor like this and with little time to change, I would only slow you down out there."

"Heh, suit yourself, Kel, though don't hold yourself back enjoying the festival!" With a final laughing command towards her guardian, Keladry spun away to join in the dancing while Kel only sighed and turned away. Dancing had never been one of the knight's preferred ways of enjoying herself, nor did she feel the desire to speak with any of those nobles at the Castle Grounds at the moment. At the moment, she was too focused on the competition that was to take place the next day, and there was only one place to retire to for the moment where she could concentrate on such a thing.

With little else to do, the knight began to make her way to the Tourney Ground, to think on the next day's clash in peace.
A ways away in the dancing circle, Keladry would be spun and swung around as people switched partners in the frantic dance, at one point looking down into the giggling features of a girl in a worn blue dress, a flower crown on her head and one in her hands which she held up shyly in offering at the conclusion. By the side, old and ponderous statesmen would be drinking and discussing other matters, pipe smoke clouding the air around them like a sorcerers fog.

The only strange part of this, was a laughing young man. A soldiers uniform adorned him, his rank showing that of a corporal...Somnium from the looks of it. And while others tried to get him to join, he'd laughingly refuse and shake his head.

@The Tactician @CarNival Folk

Meanwhile, Kel would leave the music behind. It echoed faintly into the night from where she stood, the empty stands and banners fluttering in the night breeze. It seemed she was not the only one who had decided to come here, for peace of mind. There were two others as well.
The Viking camp feast party was remarkably tempting, even looking on from here. She would have to check that out at some point in the night. Friendly but also rowdy...hell, even maybe a good ole' bar brawl to get the blood flowing. Sounded good as far as she was concerned. Not that she would object to just simply drinking them under the table either.

But for now she preferred the relatively quiet solace among the tourney area, slowly walking through and surveying the grounds with a keen eye. Specifically the best place for her to be at and observe comfortably. "Should be an interesting day."
One of them was a redheaded woman, armed like a merc and surveying the stands.

The other one was in the meadow, standing there alone.

@C.T. @The Tactician

"You have never seen the Fair Folk before?"

By her side, a ponderous figure in a red tunic looked down at his dinner partner. Unlike most here, he had chosen simple garb yet its quality was as equal to the most puffed up peacock in assembly. Muscles bulged beneath the silk sleeves as he toyed with his wine glass and on his shoulder, in a simplistic manner was the emblem of an Oak Tree, crowned with leaves of flame. A tiny motto was engraved beneath it and if Corrin tried to read it, the man smiled as he quoted.

"The first and last blow.' The motto of my house. My wife embroidered it for me."

He then smiled gently and introduced himself with stern gravitas yet gentle bearing.

"I'm Bishop Constanze. Duke of Somnium, though it won't stop me from getting my head bashed in by these young bucks tomorrow."

That was the gift of Bishop....Parenthood had only honed his gentle instincts, which reached out to those who felt awkward in most settings and made him popular among his soldiers. A good commander and a worthy knight.

Seeing a new guest come in, Bishop made a gesture to a server to set a seat at their table. And as Lorie was led, he rose to his feet and pulled out her chair for her. Cordially, as though she was noble as anyone else, he spoke.

--------------

The smile he was greeted with from the old man was knowing as he said pointedly.

"Of course, I would welcome assistance...Though I would expect you'd prefer your original features?"

"You're safe here. This is a celebration after all. My name is Alatar and this is my assistant, Queezle."

A half-elven looking woman lifted off a crate of fireworks down from the cart, looking at Jack and winking once, coyly. Continuing, the old man continued blithely.

"Not my own work of course, but a friend was kind enough to lend out his stash for such an occassion while he worked elsewhere. Good man, good man. So if you wish to help, feel free to assist Queezle with the crates. I'll be back with drinks afterwards for our celebration."

He smiled kindly and muttering to himself, began to arrange certain arrays with all the gravity of a man doing a complex floral arrangement. Queezle stared at Jack before asking bluntly.

@DapperDogman

A ways away in the dancing circle, Keladry would be spun and swung around as people switched partners in the frantic dance, at one point looking down into the giggling features of a girl in a worn blue dress, a flower crown on her head and one in her hands which she held up shyly in offering at the conclusion. By the side, old and ponderous statesmen would be drinking and discussing other matters, pipe smoke clouding the air around them like a sorcerers fog.

The only strange part of this, was a laughing young man. A soldiers uniform adorned him, his rank showing that of a corporal...Somnium from the looks of it. And while others tried to get him to join, he'd laughingly refuse and shake his head.

@The Tactician @CarNival Folk

Meanwhile, Kel would leave the music behind. It echoed faintly into the night from where she stood, the empty stands and banners fluttering in the night breeze. It seemed she was not the only one who had decided to come here, for peace of mind. There were two others as well.

One of them was a redheaded woman, armed like a merc and surveying the stands.

The other one was in the meadow, standing there alone.

@C.T. @The Tactician
Keladry smiled as she took the flower from the girl, giving the child a soft pat on the head in return, "Thank you, little one, you're simply too sweet." Out of the corner of her eye though, she caught the sight of the young soldier, one of Severus's fey-touched brethren, and a touch of mischief filled her eyes. "Looks to me as if we have one who does not understand the joy of dancing..." She murmured softly, only the girl she had just finished dancing with able to hear her over the drums, "Perhaps I should teach him of it..."

Stepping away from the girl with a final bow and smile, the lady carefully wove her way past the various dancing couples to approach the young lad who stood off to the side. Hopefully catching his eye as she did so, Keladry shot him a grin as if to beckon him closer, "You've denied many young lasses tonight, sir, but come now, would you deny me the chance to dance with you?"

@Ringmaster @The Tactician @tourney grounds
As she passed the woman in the stands who watched over the grounds, Kel shot the mercenary a glance and nod of respect. Was she one of the competitors as well? She seems strong and skilled in her own way. Perhaps there will be something other than knights and vikings partaking in the melee... However, her attention soon drifted elsewhere, as she spotted the lonesome figure within the meadow, causing a cock in her brow to form. Strange... Perhaps seeking peace and quiet from the festivities? Quietly in hopes of not disturbing them, she approached the figure to see who it was that chose the darkness of this place.

@C.T. @Ringmaster

Leaving Anna be as the day became the ever-familiar night that this spirit had become acquainted with, Haraise wasn't much of a fan towards crowds. It always ends up with her talking to some interested bunch... or that her very presence gave certain others chills down their spines. Such a lonely life as a spirit... Haraise liked it to be brutally honest. Such as the silence and the secluded feeling she got from entering the Tourney Grounds. Not only that she would finally get some peace and quiet by herself, Haraise felt certain that maybe her killer would be a part of the tournament... a strange gut feeling that her vengeful spirit had.

But yet, she supposed that some would question why a lone lantern was here. A risky move, but she placed her own lantern, her physical form, to the ground, nearest to a wall of some sort. It was already an eye-catcher to see a floating lantern in the cover of the night, but hopefully no one had the sneaky idea to snatch her lantern away. Next, Haraise shooed off some of the lesser spirits that made up the flames from within her lantern, dimming it's light. There was some light leftover, as completely blowing the light out would result with the disappearance of her own spirit.

From there, she waited in her spot, waiting for a certain red masked killer to make his or her appearance. No one else mattered... unless they wanted to bother her in some other way that would hinder her search... then she'll figure out something... Something to get herself out of a rather strange situation without much harm...

@Ringmaster @C.T. @The Tactician

Keladry smiled as she took the flower from the girl, giving the child a soft pat on the head in return, "Thank you, little one, you're simply too sweet." Out of the corner of her eye though, she caught the sight of the young soldier, one of Severus's fey-touched brethren, and a touch of mischief filled her eyes. "Looks to me as if we have one who does not understand the joy of dancing..." She murmured softly, only the girl she had just finished dancing with able to hear her over the drums, "Perhaps I should teach him of it..."

Stepping away from the girl with a final bow and smile, the lady carefully wove her way past the various dancing couples to approach the young lad who stood off to the side. Hopefully catching his eye as she did so, Keladry shot him a grin as if to beckon him closer, "You've denied many young lasses tonight, sir, but come now, would you deny me the chance to dance with you?"
He looked at her, surprised...And then suddenly smiled, sorrow in his eyes as he shook his head.

"I would that I could. It breaks my heart to deny a beauty such as you. But I came only because my family thought I'd enjoy the music."

With a wry smile, he lifted up his right pants leg...To reveal a leg made of tin. Jokingly, he spoke.

"If I were to step on your toes by accident, it would be a sad day to demolish such perfection....But if you wish to know me better, I can wait. I'm not going anywhere."

He had no idea she was royal it seemed as the idea of them coming here to dance seemed strange. But his smile was kind and despite his handicap, his eyes danced with the music in time.
As she passed the woman in the stands who watched over the grounds, Kel shot the mercenary a glance and nod of respect. Was she one of the competitors as well? She seems strong and skilled in her own way. Perhaps there will be something other than knights and vikings partaking in the melee... However, her attention soon drifted elsewhere, as she spotted the lonesome figure within the meadow, causing a cock in her brow to form. Strange... Perhaps seeking peace and quiet from the festivities? Quietly in hopes of not disturbing them, she approached the figure to see who it was that chose the darkness of this place.
Leaving Anna be as the day became the ever-familiar night that this spirit had become acquainted with, Haraise wasn't much of a fan towards crowds. It always ends up with her talking to some interested bunch... or that her very presence gave certain others chills down their spines. Such a lonely life as a spirit... Haraise liked it to be brutally honest. Such as the silence and the secluded feeling she got from entering the Tourney Grounds. Not only that she would finally get some peace and quiet by herself, Haraise felt certain that maybe her killer would be a part of the tournament... a strange gut feeling that her vengeful spirit had.

But yet, she supposed that some would question why a lone lantern was here. A risky move, but she placed her own lantern, her physical form, to the ground, nearest to a wall of some sort. It was already an eye-catcher to see a floating lantern in the cover of the night, but hopefully no one had the sneaky idea to snatch her lantern away. Next, Haraise shooed off some of the lesser spirits that made up the flames from within her lantern, dimming it's light. There was some light leftover, as completely blowing the light out would result with the disappearance of her own spirit.

From there, she waited in her spot, waiting for a certain red masked killer to make his or her appearance. No one else mattered... unless they wanted to bother her in some other way that would hinder her search... then she'll figure out something... Something to get herself out of a rather strange situation without much harm...

If they had all come for quiet? It was the perfect place for such, here. Only a few wanderers and one, solitary ghost lurked out of sight or otherwise on their own business. A crisp wind blew, bringing the promise of winter on its heels and out in the dark, alone as Kel approached would be the figure of Prince Severus. He too, had shunned the feast and the celebrations in favor of the dark and quiet. Leaning on his cane, he would be staring upwards at the skies in rapt attention before speaking quietly.

"The stars are beautiful tonight. There are legends that stars are living beings, who live in the heavens and dance eternally upon a road unseen for a purpose we do not understand. And this is true. However, I can also say that stars are like self-projecting forges, producing heat on a massive scale beyond anything magic or science is capable of. And that they lay in the ether and shine their light upon us in varying distances of which we will never be capable of traveling, at our current rate...And this is also true. And then I wonder of what use this knowledge would or could be. They simply are stars and have watched over our petty struggles and affairs for time beyond time....But they are beautiful."

He turned to look at her and smiled wanly as he looked at Kel.

"Very beautiful. You didn't go to the feasts?"

@The Tactician @Gummi Bunnies @C.T.

@DapperDogman
"A keen eye" Jack murmurs as he stands, snapping his fingers and dispelling the magical illusion, leaving him to look rather...odd, to say the least
spring_heeled_jack_by_skitzopheliac-d70b978.jpg

He winks at Queezle in return, his mask doing as his face did beneath it "And how are you~?"

Smiling as he listens to the wizard, he nods, reaching a long, spindly arm onto the wagon and dragging a box of fireworks off it, before placing it with the others
"Oh, a summoning? No. I was dragged into existence as part of a bet a few years ago, though I'm not sure who won. I was forgotten after the bet was finished, and thus left to roam the world of my own will. I came here to see what other freaks this world had to offer" he smiles as he lets out a gentle sigh "I have so far met a floating lantern with a serious dislike of social situations"

"And you? What odd people have you met, other than that handsome devil, Spring Heeled Jack?"

@Ringmaster

He looked at her, surprised...And then suddenly smiled, sorrow in his eyes as he shook his head.

"I would that I could. It breaks my heart to deny a beauty such as you. But I came only because my family thought I'd enjoy the music."

With a wry smile, he lifted up his right pants leg...To reveal a leg made of tin. Jokingly, he spoke.

"If I were to step on your toes by accident, it would be a sad day to demolish such perfection....But if you wish to know me better, I can wait. I'm not going anywhere."

He had no idea she was royal it seemed as the idea of them coming here to dance seemed strange. But his smile was kind and despite his handicap, his eyes danced with the music in time.

If they had all come for quiet? It was the perfect place for such, here. Only a few wanderers and one, solitary ghost lurked out of sight or otherwise on their own business. A crisp wind blew, bringing the promise of winter on its heels and out in the dark, alone as Kel approached would be the figure of Prince Severus. He too, had shunned the feast and the celebrations in favor of the dark and quiet. Leaning on his cane, he would be staring upwards at the skies in rapt attention before speaking quietly.

"The stars are beautiful tonight. There are legends that stars are living beings, who live in the heavens and dance eternally upon a road unseen for a purpose we do not understand. And this is true. However, I can also say that stars are like self-projecting forges, producing heat on a massive scale beyond anything magic or science is capable of. And that they lay in the ether and shine their light upon us in varying distances of which we will never be capable of traveling, at our current rate...And this is also true. And then I wonder of what use this knowledge would or could be. They simply are stars and have watched over our petty struggles and affairs for time beyond time....But they are beautiful."

He turned to look at her and smiled wanly as he looked at Kel.

"Very beautiful. You didn't go to the feasts?"

@The Tactician @Gummi Bunnies @C.T.
"The feasts do not interest me, Prince Severus. Too much wine and I will not be able to think properly come the sun's morning rays, and too much of the countless pork and beef roasts would render me too sick to compete. Besides, noble gossip and conspiracy are not to my liking, and as you said, the stars are quite beautiful tonight," Kel replied as she took a place at the prince's side, returning the smile's favor with one of her. For a moment, she turned her own eyes to the darkened sky that was filled with the bright beacons of light and in a way, hope.

"Though I'm surprised to find you all alone out here as well, your Highness. I would have thought you would love the opportunity to hear of other nations' accomplishments in academics, and while they're not the most diehard on it, it seems the nobility would be the most likely both to know and to boast of that sort of thing here..."

Back in the carnival grounds, Keladry's eyes were widening in shock at the man's leg. However, instead of horror, there was also a tinge of sympathy for the man, "I... I'm sorry..." For a moment, she paused unsure of what to say, before finally nodding, "Yes... I think I would love to get to know you, sir...?"

"A keen eye" Jack murmurs as he stands, snapping his fingers and dispelling the magical illusion, leaving him to look rather...odd, to say the least
spring_heeled_jack_by_skitzopheliac-d70b978.jpg

He winks at Queezle in return, his mask doing as his face did beneath it "And how are you~?"

Smiling as he listens to the wizard, he nods, reaching a long, spindly arm onto the wagon and dragging a box of fireworks off it, before placing it with the others
"Oh, a summoning? No. I was dragged into existence as part of a bet a few years ago, though I'm not sure who won. I was forgotten after the bet was finished, and thus left to roam the world of my own will. I came here to see what other freaks this world had to offer" he smiles as he lets out a gentle sigh "I have so far met a floating lantern with a serious dislike of social situations"

"And you? What odd people have you met, other than that handsome devil, Spring Heeled Jack?"

@Ringmaster
Queezle chuckled and gestured with a thumb after the wizard.

"Him for one. I met him in the sea of sands, where he helped me out of a tight spot. Now we're pulling entertainment together, for fun. So you were summoned too? Figures, most mages who summon are sloppy. They spend years working out how to summon succubi safely in their beds and are so blind from the incense smoke and mercury poisoning, they quite forgot the reason why." She shrugged.

"Thankfully, times are changing. Lot more entertaining here as well, then....The Other places."

She flicked her gaze upwards and smirked.

"Nice hat by the way. Somnium fashioned as well."

Back to the fireworks as they worked, she then asked curiously.

"I don't suppose.... You felt that thing earlier? From the North."

It was a disturbing omen for those sensitive to it. And curious, she decided to ask Jack.

@DapperDogman
"The feasts do not interest me, Prince Severus. Too much wine and I will not be able to think properly come the sun's morning rays, and too much of the countless pork and beef roasts would render me too sick to compete. Besides, noble gossip and conspiracy are not to my liking, and as you said, the stars are quite beautiful tonight," Kel replied as she took a place at the prince's side, returning the smile's favor with one of her. For a moment, she turned her own eyes to the darkened sky that was filled with the bright beacons of light and in a way, hope.

"Though I'm surprised to find you all alone out here as well, your Highness. I would have thought you would love the opportunity to hear of other nations' accomplishments in academics, and while they're not the most diehard on it, it seems the nobility would be the most likely both to know and to boast of that sort of thing here..."

Back in the carnival grounds, Keladry's eyes were widening in shock at the man's leg. However, instead of horror, there was also a tinge of sympathy for the man, "I... I'm sorry..." For a moment, she paused unsure of what to say, before finally nodding, "Yes... I think I would love to get to know you, sir...?"
"Severus. No one else is around to correct you otherwise."

He said blandly, his eyes blazing briefly before he blinked and looked away. A moment passed before he said thoughtfully.

"I was just considering what it meant to be 'noble'. Royal, is easy enough. It simply means being born into a state of leadership and groomed for that position to assist the crown and realm, however you can. My brother does so with his words and his circle. My sister uses her words and her....Unorthodox skill she picked up in the Eastern lands. Myself? We've enough people who use words, as well as more magisters and mages then we could ever need. So what happens then?"

He shrugged.

"My mind is sharp, but there are sharper. I cannot fall into a support, bodily role due to my....Condition. And to lock myself away while an option with my books and such? I find this...Repulsive. Which brings us to the definition of Noble. What is noble? One who acts in a way above their station who enhances everyone around them. Those not born in such positions have the option to do so, starting often from nothing and becoming great. In that, I believe Noble to be greater then Royal. To work for what you have and to be raised in a family that did so, to pass such values I think is amazing. And yet, even in my home there are those who think otherwise! Amazing! Astounding! And treacherous."

From an amiable tone, there was a sudden flash of anger before silence returned to fill the void. In the shadows, his expression was difficult to see before he spoke again. Calmer now.

"My mother was a scullery maid, a prisoner in her own home after my grandfather and grandmother died- Her parents. Her stepmother and her stepsisters used her as a slave and yet, she remained hopeful and happy. She met my father via unique circumstances and married him. Its thanks to her influence that one is judged on what they can accomplish, not on what they were born in. But they judge her....I hear the whispers as I pass, read between the lines and yet can do nothing. I have no power. I have no supporters. I have nothing that would influence the mighty save my stud status, as though I was a horse to market!"

He kicked out in frustration at a clump of grass. Perhaps realizing he had vented overmuch, he turned apologetic and as though they were in a ballroom and Kel was in a dress rather then armor, he bowed. Respect tinging his tone, he spoke.

"Forgive me. Its frustrating and my few friends are not with me. I did not mean to vent so."

----------------

"No sir here miss. Just Stephen."

He smiled and gestured her to join the dancing as he added playfully, flirting without knowing who she was.

"Have fun. Hopefully, some lucky swain won't snatch you before we have a chance to talk."

@The Tactician

"Him for one. I met him in the sea of sands, where he helped me out of a tight spot. Now we're pulling entertainment together, for fun. So you were summoned too? Figures, most mages who summon are sloppy. They spend years working out how to summon succubi safely in their beds and are so blind from the incense smoke and mercury poisoning, they quite forgot the reason why." She shrugged.

"Thankfully, times are changing. Lot more entertaining here as well, then....The Other places."

It was a disturbing omen for those sensitive to it. And curious, she decided to ask Jack.

@DapperDogman
He chuckles and nods slightly "Aye, my summoner wasn't what one would call...smart" he mutters, sighing in reminiscence "He summoned me to be a trickster, to scare women. First night I got smashed to bits with a hatchet, then he gave me some powers, breathing fire, illusion magic, the ability to make great leaps and bounds. And other things, of course" he grins, tapping where his nose would be "But those are secrets best kept for later"

"Thing from up north?" he murmurs, as if in thought "You mean that muggy, vile feeling I had for a little while, like the air had turned bad?"
His mask frowns slightly, his brows furrowed, as if in worry "Yeah, I picked up on it for a moment, thought it was just a particularly rancid barrel of fish heads at first, took me a while to realise it didn't carry a smell"

"Whatever it was, it just felt...Wrong"
He shivers visibly at the memory

@Ringmaster

He chuckles and nods slightly "Aye, my summoner wasn't what one would call...smart" he mutters, sighing in reminiscence "He summoned me to be a trickster, to scare women. First night I got smashed to bits with a hatchet, then he gave me some powers, breathing fire, illusion magic, the ability to make great leaps and bounds. And other things, of course" he grins, tapping where his nose would be "But those are secrets best kept for later"

"Thing from up north?" he murmurs, as if in thought "You mean that muggy, vile feeling I had for a little while, like the air had turned bad?"
His mask frowns slightly, his brows furrowed, as if in worry "Yeah, I picked up on it for a moment, thought it was just a particularly rancid barrel of fish heads at first, took me a while to realise it didn't carry a smell"

"Whatever it was, it just felt...Wrong"
He shivers visibly at the memory

@Ringmaster
She blinked. Once, in surprise.

Mostly because that didn't sound like summoning at all. If you had to add powers to something you brought up from whatever you drew it from, then it was never worth the effort. Perhaps he didn't see it though....Wasn't her place to say so anyway.

After all, you can't help how you were made.

Wasn't she the penultimate example? More amused, she spoke.

"You have gone native. Look at you, shuddering at the feel of the North Wind. Well, let it come if it wants. My master has his...Ideas. If it does approach, it'll find us ready."

@DapperDogman

"No." ;_;

He settled down on the closest bench and cursed under his breath at the pain. A few moments of recovery passed as he then pulled up his right pants leg to examine the brace he had assembled....Not bad. The braced hollow pieces withstood the blow better then he had counted on. That was something to be proud of and he slipped the pants leg back down as he gripped his cane. A few moments later, he spoke.

"When I was young, I had a weakness in my bones....A malignant thing the doctors could not understand. Magic withstood it and seemed to only feed it. At that point, they had two choices....To either cut off my leg, or to chip away and remove the bits of infected bone. I was five."

His eyes became lost in memory, still acute after all that time. It wasn't something he could easily forget in a hurry. The bedrest, his mothers face...Beautiful and pale. His father, like a ponderous mountain gripping his hand. His siblings, who did their best to keep him company.

"They opted for the operation. They came with chains and wine to render it easier. But the chains frightened me and I hated the taste of wine. So I asked for my father to hold. If I could only hold my father....I would not move. The head physician was skeptical, but my father was summoned and in his arms I found the strength to withstand it."

Not entirely true....When they sliced into the flesh, he had stifled his cries until they began the process of removing the bone chips. His cries had alerted his mother and seeing her terrified frightened him in turn. For her sake, he bit down on his handkerchief and withstood the operation.

"I'm alive...But since then, something of its lingered on." He'd have shrugged, but for how it would have jostled his fairy friend.​

"Aw," the fae said in the most emphatic way possible, forgoing her typical spacy attitude, legs uncrossing and arms propped against his shoulder as she leaned forward. As to better view his features, watching closely as he spoke after surveying the leg from afar. In her usual aplomb, the fae would have wantonly sauntered down by way of wings and observed in closer detail. But that wasn't proper manners, oh no, not proper manners at all. Even for a fae, a fae like her, one better mannered that most; so she thought and always will she.

Truly, she maintained the appearance listening to his words to their end, her face adorning a sheen of sympathy. There was a few seconds of silence as she gazed up across his rugged features, her own clearly contemplative. Then she shattered the illusion she maintained, though perhaps unbeknownst to her due to the flighting whimsy of her kind, reaching up to overlay gently a hand upon his nose.

"Oooh, that's what drew me, lingering magicks! Or the darkness? Perhaps both, maybe neither. Whoever knows, certainly not I nor you. Who nose." ... "Nose." *boop*

"I know this though," she piped up, speaking aloud and with clarity, "You're stronger for it! Mind not the hobble..." : / "Call this freeking faery a loon if you must! Tis true, so true. Absolutely true that it just must be... true. Hrm." Even she had the occasional moment of confusing herself-- "Oh! And kind. So kind, the kindness extends in suffering and beyond, within and without. It's becoming-- did I say that proper, I think it did. Very becoming; keep that with you always."

She rattled off in rapid succession and what appeared to be a break in the deluge words wasn't so, the final she had to say uttered with seeming finality, "With that, though, I should leave you be! Wouldn't do well for you, mustn't linger, there're others like me and not all of them like me so ta ta!"

And in typical Oracoah Cinol fashion, she spontaneously blitzed off into the unknown, trailing behind a florescent mix-match of colors. Unfortunate Severus would not be able to reply.

Oh when did it get dark??? Her thought process, erratic as lucid it was at times, finally caught back with the passing of time. "Flux, it got dark too fast. Shouldn't have chased the fowls for entertainment, they're quite a foul sort. Fun though, fun fun." ... "Oh it's a carnival! Wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee," and off she went, banzai-ing across the air into the hustling bustling atmosphere of the carnival grounds. In doing so, she spoiled a moment amid a gaggle of fellow faeries, Oracoah essentially shrieking "GET THE FREEK OUT OF MY FREEKING WAAAAAAY." laced with faeish words...

@CarNival Grounds

• Love
Reactions: Ringmaster

He said blandly, his eyes blazing briefly before he blinked and looked away. A moment passed before he said thoughtfully.

"I was just considering what it meant to be 'noble'. Royal, is easy enough. It simply means being born into a state of leadership and groomed for that position to assist the crown and realm, however you can. My brother does so with his words and his circle. My sister uses her words and her....Unorthodox skill she picked up in the Eastern lands. Myself? We've enough people who use words, as well as more magisters and mages then we could ever need. So what happens then?"

He shrugged.

"My mind is sharp, but there are sharper. I cannot fall into a support, bodily role due to my....Condition. And to lock myself away while an option with my books and such? I find this...Repulsive. Which brings us to the definition of Noble. What is noble? One who acts in a way above their station who enhances everyone around them. Those not born in such positions have the option to do so, starting often from nothing and becoming great. In that, I believe Noble to be greater then Royal. To work for what you have and to be raised in a family that did so, to pass such values I think is amazing. And yet, even in my home there are those who think otherwise! Amazing! Astounding! And treacherous."

From an amiable tone, there was a sudden flash of anger before silence returned to fill the void. In the shadows, his expression was difficult to see before he spoke again. Calmer now.

"My mother was a scullery maid, a prisoner in her own home after my grandfather and grandmother died- Her parents. Her stepmother and her stepsisters used her as a slave and yet, she remained hopeful and happy. She met my father via unique circumstances and married him. Its thanks to her influence that one is judged on what they can accomplish, not on what they were born in. But they judge her....I hear the whispers as I pass, read between the lines and yet can do nothing. I have no power. I have no supporters. I have nothing that would influence the mighty save my stud status, as though I was a horse to market!"

He kicked out in frustration at a clump of grass. Perhaps realizing he had vented overmuch, he turned apologetic and as though they were in a ballroom and Kel was in a dress rather then armor, he bowed. Respect tinging his tone, he spoke.

"Forgive me. Its frustrating and my few friends are not with me. I did not mean to vent so."
"..." Her ears pricked up, head rising slightly to fix a glance over at the shouts interrupting the otherwise peaceful quiet. Just enough to catch several of those sentences. Her eyes narrowed, studying the speaker from head to toe warily before approaching from behind. Despite the weight of her boots, she made hardly a sound...until she stopped a meter or so behind the frustrated grass kicker and cleared her throat with an accompanying "Ahem."

"Did I hear you correctly? Mind saying it again, venting be damned?"

@Ringmaster @The Tactician

@DapperDogman

He shrugged.

----------------

"No sir here miss. Just Stephen."

He smiled and gestured her to join the dancing as he added playfully, flirting without knowing who she was.

"Have fun. Hopefully, some lucky swain won't snatch you before we have a chance to talk."

@The Tactician
"..." Her ears pricked up, head rising slightly to fix a glance over at the shouts interrupting the otherwise peaceful quiet. Just enough to catch several of those sentences. Her eyes narrowed, studying the speaker from head to toe warily before approaching from behind. Despite the weight of her boots, she made hardly a sound...until she stopped a meter or so behind the frustrated grass kicker and cleared her throat with an accompanying "Ahem."

"There is one who judges, and that is myself, my lord."

After that though, Kel fell silent and listened as Severus began to ramble and eventually venting of his frustration about aristocracy and the like. Surprisingly, she found herself nodding along in agreement with the young man's views on them and in sympathy for his situation. He was crippled in his own eyes, as if he had nothing to offer the world, and yet he was far too hard upon himself. It was clear he was a philosopher, a wise man stuck in a young one's form, and that he simply needed someone to help him understand that.

"Do not worry, my lord. I agree that it is your ability and not your blood that should determine your strength and importance to your homeland, and... Do not worry, you will find what you are truly great at soon enough, you simply need to realize what quality it is... And do not think you have no friend in me."

Her head then turned as the throat clearing caught her attention and eyed the woman she had previously nodded to, though would allow Severus to take the lead here.

"Keladry, and hopefully, you don't wander off either, Stephen," Keladry shot the corporal a wink before separating from him to rejoin the dancing crowd.​

Last edited by a moderator:

After that though, Kel fell silent and listened as Severus began to ramble and eventually venting of his frustration about aristocracy and the like. Surprisingly, she found herself nodding along in agreement with the young man's views on them and in sympathy for his situation. He was crippled in his own eyes, as if he had nothing to offer the world, and yet he was far too hard upon himself. It was clear he was a philosopher, a wise man stuck in a young one's form, and that he simply needed someone to help him understand that.

"Do not worry, my lord. I agree that it is your ability and not your blood that should determine your strength and importance to your homeland, and... Do not worry, you will find what you are truly great at soon enough, you simply need to realize what quality it is... And do not think you have no friend in me."

Her head then turned as the throat clearing caught her attention and eyed the woman she had previously nodded to, though would allow Severus to take the lead here.​

Any reply he might have had to the kind words, was suddenly stuck in his throat.

He had an audience it seemed and he turned his head slightly, thankful the dark hid how red his face had become as he cleared his throat.

"Ummm...Er....How much exactly, did you hear of that?"

He wished he knew more magic. Maybe there was a spell to have the earth swallow him whole right about now.

@The Tactician @C.T.

Any reply he might have had to the kind words, was suddenly stuck in his throat.

He had an audience it seemed and he turned his head slightly, thankful the dark hid how red his face had become as he cleared his throat.

He wished he knew more magic. Maybe there was a spell to have the earth swallow him whole right about now.​
"Clearly not enough as I would have liked, that's why I'm asking for you to repeat yourself, if that's not already abundantly clear." She replied brusquely, resisting the real tempting urge to roll her eyes. "Quit stalling, will you? I'm not about to beat you up or anything like that. No sport or reason in it. So out with it."

@The Tactician @Ringmaster

He shrugged.

Her head then turned as the throat clearing caught her attention and eyed the woman she had previously nodded to, though would allow Severus to take the lead here.​

He wished he knew more magic. Maybe there was a spell to have the earth swallow him whole right about now.

@The Tactician @C.T.
"Clearly not enough as I would have liked, that's why I'm asking for you to repeat yourself, if that's not already abundantly clear." She replied brusquely, resisting the real tempting urge to roll her eyes. "Quit stalling, will you? I'm not about to beat you up or anything like that. No sport or reason in it. So out with it."

Despite her lantern's location, Haraise heard it all, but luckily on Serverus's end, the spirit did not care for his frustrations. It was not a high concern. With that thought, the spirit was rather attentive for any red masks... anyone that wore it to be more exact. Nothing as of yet... so she rather keep her attention out for that rather than to pay attention to their conversation. However, she didn't account for one thing... and she haven't been around people that did this...

As her lantern's flame was dimmed due to the lack of lesser spirits that would fuel the flame with their hatred and frustrations... apparently the frustrated venting of Severus would somehow fuel her flame just a little bit... A honest surprise to the spirit, she never thought that the flame could be fueled in that manner. And with surprise, there was the momentary panic on how to dim her flames, because a brighter flame out of nowhere was quite strange in itself to see...

@The Tactician @Ringmaster @C.T.

Kel frowned as the woman proceeded to be quite the offending individual. Where did she discover the notion that she could be rude to those whose conversation she intruded upon, "I suggest you watch your tongue, miss. You have no right to speak as you do."

Lorie Fisher
@Schnee Corp Lawyer @Ringmster

Lorie wasn't accustomed to service like this... Let alone being addressed like she was right now, but it seemed she was satisfied with her choice to head to the Castle Grounds, she smiled towards Bishop, and her server, nodding a little at what Bishop said.

"Thank you... Sir." She said, her voice was a little soft, but not inaudible.

She looked around, slowly starting to get used to her surroundings... Her stomach rumbled lightly, reminding her that it would be in her best interests to eat soon, though... She couldn't help but wonder what sorts of foods they might serve here...

Status
Not open for further replies.