The Grimm Wars: Winter is Coming

Status
Not open for further replies.
There were a few knights and others hanging around near the registration. And seeing Lorie, the man taking down the names looked at her in askance.

"Are you here for the Bardic or Magecraft contests? I see no armor, nor bow with you."

@york @Forrest @The Tactician
Lorie Fisher
@Ringmaster @Forrest @The Tactician

Lorie thought for a moment, the answer seemed pretty simple... Her teacher referred to her abilities as "pyromancy", which, she came to realize was in a sense, a type of magic.

"Um... Magecraft, sir." She said, trying to be as respectull as possible.

It seemed like things were off to a smooth start... Or so she hoped, but she was seriously beginning to wonder if she still had time to explore all the placed she'd like to...

"Haraise? That's a nice name. Are you looking for someone?"

There was something about the lantern that put Anna almost in mind of a lost dog for whatever reason.

@Gummi Bunnies
For a moment, the spirit didn't pay much mind to Anna, guiding the lantern towards the direction of the castle again. However, something caught the attention of the spirit, causing Haraise to be somewhat interested in the question that Anna had spoken out to her. While she knew that Anna would've really care that much towards her own problems at this time, Haraise could tell that she was going to keep it up out of curiosity. Might as well say a few details of what the spirit was looking for.

"Red... mask... look... ing... fo.. r... the... red... mask."

As she said this, the flame that was in the lantern obtained a slightly brighter radiance than moments before.

@Ringmaster

There was a particular characteristic among the fae, one that begets attention nigh immediately upon contact with the magical creatures. Indeed, it is an intriguing aspect to the eccentric critters such that it has been, in short order, explored thoroughly in way of the scientific method, of both the mundane and magical variety. What is this curious trait, you ask?

It's that they're hella spacy, seemingly loosing track of everything happening around them.

Ora, as sincerely as a faery could be, quite literally stared outward from her perch that was Severus's shoulder, oblivious to all things about her. To a degree anyway.

She took notice of a woman, with a limp in her leg not unlike Severus's. A single thought, that vanished swiftly as it appeared: Oooh someone like this man---.

There was also someone, who seemed strict as can be (with the apropos descriptor of having a stick up her butt) that fired a menacing stare her way. The fairy's response was one truly befitting of her. With the inclination of her head, shoulders perking upward, and legs splaying apart as she leaned forward animatedly, she gesticulated in arguably a taunting fashion:

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

After that, it was quite literally a haze. The motions of her human-borne perch registered to her, granted, signifying the continual movement from the procession to... elsewhere. A fairgrounds of sorts, where she jolted back into reality. By the hands of an errant girl, striking her benevolent carrier's leg.

"OOMP," the fae cried out exaggeratively, finding herself thrown from Severus's shoulder with the tips of her fingers grasping the fine fabric of his tunic in vain attempt to cling... All of which was moot as her wings fluttered to life, lifting her into the air in lofty fashion as Oracoah yawned, turning to peer over the child. Understanding fully well, she alighted herself back whence she careened forth, re-settling back into comfort. A smile graced her petite features, as she witnessed the interaction of Prince Severus with the young Belle. A knowing smile as it was, as she observed his twofold kindness, one that was fairly evident outwardly... and the pain he suppressed. Soon as he dealt with the situation, under the watchful fae's curious eye, she began to hum to herself as she moved away.

After a sufficient distance was achieved however, she'd ask clearly in seemingly un-faeish manner "Are you well?"

@Ringmaster

There was a particular characteristic among the fae, one that begets attention nigh immediately upon contact with the magical creatures. Indeed, it is an intriguing aspect to the eccentric critters such that it has been, in short order, explored thoroughly in way of the scientific method, of both the mundane and magical variety. What is this curious trait, you ask?

It's that they're hella spacy, seemingly loosing track of everything happening around them.

Ora, as sincerely as a faery could be, quite literally stared outward from her perch that was Severus's shoulder, oblivious to all things about her. To a degree anyway.

She took notice of a woman, with a limp in her leg not unlike Severus's. A single thought, that vanished swiftly as it appeared: Oooh someone like this man---.

There was also someone, who seemed strict as can be (with the apropos descriptor of having a stick up her butt) that fired a menacing stare her way. The fairy's response was one truly befitting of her. With the inclination of her head, shoulders perking upward, and legs splaying apart as she leaned forward animatedly, she gesticulated in arguably a taunting fashion:

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

After that, it was quite literally a haze. The motions of her human-borne perch registered to her, granted, signifying the continual movement from the procession to... elsewhere. A fairgrounds of sorts, where she jolted back into reality. By the hands of an errant girl, striking her benevolent carrier's leg.

"OOMP," the fae cried out exaggeratively, finding herself thrown from Severus's shoulder with the tips of her fingers grasping the fine fabric of his tunic in vain attempt to cling... All of which was moot as her wings fluttered to life, lifting her into the air in lofty fashion as Oracoah yawned, turning to peer over the child. Understanding fully well, she alighted herself back whence she careened forth, re-settling back into comfort. A smile graced her petite features, as she witnessed the interaction of Prince Severus with the young Belle. A knowing smile as it was, as she observed his twofold kindness, one that was fairly evident outwardly... and the pain he suppressed. Soon as he dealt with the situation, under the watchful fae's curious eye, she began to hum to herself as she moved away.

After a sufficient distance was achieved however, she'd ask clearly in seemingly un-faeish manner "Are you well?"

@Ringmaster
"No." ;_;

He settled down on the closest bench and cursed under his breath at the pain. A few moments of recovery passed as he then pulled up his right pants leg to examine the brace he had assembled....Not bad. The braced hollow pieces withstood the blow better then he had counted on. That was something to be proud of and he slipped the pants leg back down as he gripped his cane. A few moments later, he spoke.

"When I was young, I had a weakness in my bones....A malignant thing the doctors could not understand. Magic withstood it and seemed to only feed it. At that point, they had two choices....To either cut off my leg, or to chip away and remove the bits of infected bone. I was five."

His eyes became lost in memory, still acute after all that time. It wasn't something he could easily forget in a hurry. The bedrest, his mothers face...Beautiful and pale. His father, like a ponderous mountain gripping his hand. His siblings, who did their best to keep him company.

"They opted for the operation. They came with chains and wine to render it easier. But the chains frightened me and I hated the taste of wine. So I asked for my father to hold. If I could only hold my father....I would not move. The head physician was skeptical, but my father was summoned and in his arms I found the strength to withstand it."

Not entirely true....When they sliced into the flesh, he had stifled his cries until they began the process of removing the bone chips. His cries had alerted his mother and seeing her terrified frightened him in turn. For her sake, he bit down on his handkerchief and withstood the operation.

"I'm alive...But since then, something of its lingered on." He'd have shrugged, but for how it would have jostled his fairy friend.

@Indolent

------------------
Keladry took both his arm and the sights in stride, mesmerized by the festivities as they went. Neither her nor Kel had seen so many banners except for a festival held many years before in Cardomas's capital of Angles, and it seemed as if there was hundred times more variety in the coats they adorned the tents and banners, each representing a family of high birth and standing throughout the kingdoms. It was a spectacle of extravagant proportions, and it was a spectacle that the lady would willing submerge herself in while on the arm of the Prince of the Southern Islands.

"He seems to be having a rough time of wandering about. Perhaps the melee is his way of venting frustration in a positive manner."

And on the other hand, Kel seemed more focus upon the various competitors that Hans so frequently and willing pointed out to them. Each was a foe to face in the melee, and see them now allowed the knight better assess who would be a danger in the ring. Hans was of little concern to her in that regard; he seemed more like to trip upon his own feet rather than be knocked aside by anyone's blow. On the other hand, the surly-seeming Constance was certainly someone to watch for. Anger in a man such as he coupled with the training he was sure to have received as a knight was a dangerous combination, one that could prove volatile in the upcoming tournament.

Now there was only one group of competitors left, and they had just been brought up by the prince.

"The Vikings, eh? I remember hearing tales of when the men of the north raided the lands of Cardomas long ago. Fierce in dealings and stubborn in battle... You say they had impromptu matches of their own, Prince Hans? I wonder if they would allow a knight such as I to take part."

Uh oh, she's looking for a match before the melee even starts.

Somehow, the princess already knew that whatever was about to happen would go badly. She had heard of the Bikings as well, and of their tempers, and somehow, Kel struck her as one who would cause their tempers to flare. That, or become best friends with them.​
"I know of him only via my brother." Prince Han's admitted before adding.

"He's an experienced campaigner though. Blessed with two lovely daughters as well, though I'm not sure either one has joined him at all."

As soon as the question of meeting the Vikings came up, Han's looked askance as he glanced at Keladry briefly in confusion before speaking.

"Perhaps. They make the most ruckus and are content to remain in the grounds traditionally set aside for them whenever they visit Arendelle in such numbers. Take the South Path if you wish to meet them."

@The Tactician

-------------
Lorie Fisher
@Ringmaster @Forrest @The Tactician

Lorie thought for a moment, the answer seemed pretty simple... Her teacher referred to her abilities as "pyromancy", which, she came to realize was in a sense, a type of magic.

"Um... Magecraft, sir." She said, trying to be as respectull as possible.

It seemed like things were off to a smooth start... Or so she hoped, but she was seriously beginning to wonder if she still had time to explore all the placed she'd like to...

"Magecraft? Splendid ma'am! Sign your name here and there we go! Now, the rules of the contest is as follows. Each magus who steps forward may cast whatever spell they best deem, may impress the crowd who watches. The one who incurs the most applause, wins. Simple enough I should say."

He beamed.

@york

---------------
For a moment, the spirit didn't pay much mind to Anna, guiding the lantern towards the direction of the castle again. However, something caught the attention of the spirit, causing Haraise to be somewhat interested in the question that Anna had spoken out to her. While she knew that Anna would've really care that much towards her own problems at this time, Haraise could tell that she was going to keep it up out of curiosity. Might as well say a few details of what the spirit was looking for.

"Red... mask... look... ing... fo.. r... the... red... mask."

As she said this, the flame that was in the lantern obtained a slightly brighter radiance than moments before.

@Ringmaster
Anna looked thoughtful briefly, as she fell into step before speaking.

"Well if its masks you want? A lot of them were going to be passed out later. But you don't mean that sort, do you?"

@Gummi Bunnies

"No." ;_;

He settled down on the closest bench and cursed under his breath at the pain. A few moments of recovery passed as he then pulled up his right pants leg to examine the brace he had assembled....Not bad. The braced hollow pieces withstood the blow better then he had counted on. That was something to be proud of and he slipped the pants leg back down as he gripped his cane. A few moments later, he spoke.

"When I was young, I had a weakness in my bones....A malignant thing the doctors could not understand. Magic withstood it and seemed to only feed it. At that point, they had two choices....To either cut off my leg, or to chip away and remove the bits of infected bone. I was five."

His eyes became lost in memory, still acute after all that time. It wasn't something he could easily forget in a hurry. The bedrest, his mothers face...Beautiful and pale. His father, like a ponderous mountain gripping his hand. His siblings, who did their best to keep him company.

"They opted for the operation. They came with chains and wine to render it easier. But the chains frightened me and I hated the taste of wine. So I asked for my father to hold. If I could only hold my father....I would not move. The head physician was skeptical, but my father was summoned and in his arms I found the strength to withstand it."

Not entirely true....When they sliced into the flesh, he had stifled his cries until they began the process of removing the bone chips. His cries had alerted his mother and seeing her terrified frightened him in turn. For her sake, he bit down on his handkerchief and withstood the operation.

"I'm alive...But since then, something of its lingered on." He'd have shrugged, but for how it would have jostled his fairy friend.

@Indolent

------------------

"I know of him only via my brother." Prince Han's admitted before adding.

"He's an experienced campaigner though. Blessed with two lovely daughters as well, though I'm not sure either one has joined him at all."

As soon as the question of meeting the Vikings came up, Han's looked askance as he glanced at Keladry briefly in confusion before speaking.

"Perhaps. They make the most ruckus and are content to remain in the grounds traditionally set aside for them whenever they visit Arendelle in such numbers. Take the South Path if you wish to meet them."

@The Tactician

-------------

"Magecraft? Splendid ma'am! Sign your name here and there we go! Now, the rules of the contest is as follows. Each magus who steps forward may cast whatever spell they best deem, may impress the crowd who watches. The one who incurs the most applause, wins. Simple enough I should say."

He beamed.

@york

---------------

"Well if its masks you want? A lot of them were going to be passed out later. But you don't mean that sort, do you?"

@Gummi Bunnies
Of course he would think of Lord Constance's daughters... God, Keladry, you really know how to pick them.

"The South Path... Right then. It seems I do have one thing to thank you for, Lord Hans, so... thank you," It was a struggle to get the words out, given her opinion of the prince, but Kel managed to finally get them out before looking to Keladry, "Perhaps you might like to accompany me, Lady Keladry?"

For a moment, the princess thought on it, eyes glancing between her friend and the prince, before finally beginning to unhook her arm from Hans's, "Yes, it's best we keep together, though..." She shot another smile Hans's way and bowed in a goodbye, "Perhaps we shall see each other again at the tourney, Prince Hans. For now though, it's probably best we separate."

@Ringmaster

Of course he would think of Lord Constance's daughters... God, Keladry, you really know how to pick them.

"The South Path... Right then. It seems I do have one thing to thank you for, Lord Hans, so... thank you," It was a struggle to get the words out, given her opinion of the prince, but Kel managed to finally get them out before looking to Keladry, "Perhaps you might like to accompany me, Lady Keladry?"

For a moment, the princess thought on it, eyes glancing between her friend and the prince, before finally beginning to unhook her arm from Hans's, "Yes, it's best we keep together, though..." She shot another smile Hans's way and bowed in a goodbye, "Perhaps we shall see each other again at the tourney, Prince Hans. For now though, it's probably best we separate."

@Ringmaster
"Very well Keladry."

He said with easy familiarity as he bowed.

"I should return to my brothers as well. I hope to see you later, at the inauguration ceremony banquet later tonight."

To Kel, he merely smiled winningly as he turned and walked away.

The southern path itself was easy enough to follow. Well trodden, it led to a massive encampment, with longhouses installed and a massive cooking fire that served as the hub. Totems of a bear, a sea serpent, a dragon and a wolf stood before each longhouse and everywhere, the vikings were wandering. All in good spirits and preparing it seemed as the sound of giggling made its way to Lady Keladry and Kel. Children, among them the squire playing fetch with the dire wolf as everyone paid them little attention, save for affectionate cries and mock-outrage if they came close.

In the midst of a crowd of youth and grizzled warriors before the bear totem, a massive figure would be seated.

df857d5d073eacff3cb53e9682d0e1ce.jpg

Even seated, he was tall enough to reach the height most grown men attained standing up. His chest was bare and his beard was white and long as he spoke, evidently in the midst of a story. Among them, was Robb Stark looking thoughtful.

"-And then the raven flew into the storm and I knew it to be an omen, sent by the All-Father. I am Grishnu Bear-Brother. Chieftain of Clan Bearclaw, Thain of our people. I have spoken."

@The Tactician

He beamed.

@york
Lorie Fisher

@Ringmaster

Lorie smiled, this seemed like her style; though she had partially been expecting a more combat oriented fight, such a competition seemed to appeal to her alot more... How to form shapes, pictures, and even draw memories from flames was the first thing she had learned to develop under the teachings of the old firestarter.

"I'm glad I paid a visit." She said somewhat dreamily, signing her name on the roster.

It had been a while since she had signed anything, but her signature was alright... Like riding a bike, as her teacher once said. Soon enough though, her thoughts began to drift, though this time it was because she was trying to decide what spells she should try casting for the tournament.​

"Very well Keladry."

He said with easy familiarity as he bowed.

"I should return to my brothers as well. I hope to see you later, at the inauguration ceremony banquet later tonight."

To Kel, he merely smiled winningly as he turned and walked away.

The southern path itself was easy enough to follow. Well trodden, it led to a massive encampment, with longhouses installed and a massive cooking fire that served as the hub. Totems of a bear, a sea serpent, a dragon and a wolf stood before each longhouse and everywhere, the vikings were wandering. All in good spirits and preparing it seemed as the sound of giggling made its way to Lady Keladry and Kel. Children, among them the squire playing fetch with the dire wolf as everyone paid them little attention, save for affectionate cries and mock-outrage if they came close.

In the midst of a crowd of youth and grizzled warriors before the bear totem, a massive figure would be seated.

df857d5d073eacff3cb53e9682d0e1ce.jpg

Even seated, he was tall enough to reach the height most grown men attained standing up. His chest was bare and his beard was white and long as he spoke, evidently in the midst of a story. Among them, was Robb Stark looking thoughtful.

"-And then the raven flew into the storm and I knew it to be an omen, sent by the All-Father. I am Grishnu Bear-Brother. Chieftain of Clan Bearclaw, Thain of our people. I have spoken."

@The Tactician

Both smiled as the children ran about, enjoying themselves along with the hound who belonged to the young Stark that could see just ahead. However, once they could see the totem pole clearly, both pairs of eyes widened in amazement.

"Good heavens, he's massive..."

"Quite the impressive figure, I must say."

The two women could not help but voice their amazement at the chief and while Keladry whispered hers in slight horror, Kel could be heard for those here that would listen. Hans had been pushed out of their minds, the knight's constrained rage gone as she eyed the giant of a man with an approving glint while the princess could only marvel.

Kel stepped forward first, still looking the chief from top to bottom to admire the scars and physique he had built over years of experience as a fierce warrior of the northern lands and waters, "Now I see why the old tales speak so well of the viking's strength and formidable form. For once, such tales have some honest truth to them, and I must say, to see it in the Chief himself... Dame Kel, Thain Grishnu, honored to meet one who lives up to his people's reputation's so well."

On the other hand, Keladry kept from drawing attention to herself, or at least tried to, by stepping to the side where Robb incidentally stood. She could only stare at the chief in awe before shaking her head once again, "The tales are true... No wonder they were such a terror in the old days..."

@Ringmaster

Lorie Fisher

@Ringmaster

Lorie smiled, this seemed like her style; though she had partially been expecting a more combat oriented fight, such a competition seemed to appeal to her alot more... How to form shapes, pictures, and even draw memories from flames was the first thing she had learned to develop under the teachings of the old firestarter.

"I'm glad I paid a visit." She said somewhat dreamily, signing her name on the roster.

It had been a while since she had signed anything, but her signature was alright... Like riding a bike, as her teacher once said. Soon enough though, her thoughts began to drift, though this time it was because she was trying to decide what spells she should try casting for the tournament.​
The wind blew from the North. Brisk and chilly, it prompted those near to cover themselves as they looked towards the mountain range in the north. One of the great wonders of Arendelle, monuments of stone.

And as the wind blew, a brief vision crossed the mind of Lorie....As well as the Inquisitor.

One of a gaping skull with the antlers of a deer as skeletal hands held aloft a crown in triumph.

Those attuned to the natural world such as Ora or the spiritual plane such as Haraise felt it as a foul stench in the air, as a presence like a tiger in the brush.

Something was coming from the North.

And the vision ended.

@york @Forrest @Gummi Bunnies @Indolent

----------------
Both smiled as the children ran about, enjoying themselves along with the hound who belonged to the young Stark that could see just ahead. However, once they could see the totem pole clearly, both pairs of eyes widened in amazement.

"Good heavens, he's massive..."

"Quite the impressive figure, I must say."

The two women could not help but voice their amazement at the chief and while Keladry whispered hers in slight horror, Kel could be heard for those here that would listen. Hans had been pushed out of their minds, the knight's constrained rage gone as she eyed the giant of a man with an approving glint while the princess could only marvel.

Kel stepped forward first, still looking the chief from top to bottom to admire the scars and physique he had built over years of experience as a fierce warrior of the northern lands and waters, "Now I see why the old tales speak so well of the viking's strength and formidable form. For once, such tales have some honest truth to them, and I must say, to see it in the Chief himself... Dame Kel, Thain Grishnu, honored to meet one who lives up to his people's reputation's so well."

On the other hand, Keladry kept from drawing attention to herself, or at least tried to, by stepping to the side where Robb incidentally stood. She could only stare at the chief in awe before shaking her head once again, "The tales are true... No wonder they were such a terror in the old days..."

@Ringmaster
The chief laughed, a booming noise like thunder as he gripped the hand offered and shook it, careful not to harm as he spoke in a rolling tone like the storm approaching across the skies. With bushy eyebrows and bright eyes, he peered at the two newcomers before waving his free hand.

"Get up you idjits. You're in the presence of ladies. And fair tongued ones at that! Good knight, we are indeed Vikings. To us, war is a way of life. There is no sweeter song then the cries of battle and no honorable death greater then surrounded by enemies. Long ago, we warred with Arendelle in my fathers, fathers day. But peace we have and now, we hail them as brothers. We enjoy civilization as it stands, but would return to the wastes where home and greater enemies await."

Robb Stark spoke up at this point.

"Aye sir. The Great Enemy."

"Brothers given over to dark powers, but we hold them back. We had just finished a story as you came. Perhaps you might indulge us in judging its worth?"

@The Tactician

The wind blew from the North. Brisk and chilly, it prompted those near to cover themselves as they looked towards the mountain range in the north. One of the great wonders of Arendelle, monuments of stone.

And as the wind blew, a brief vision crossed the mind of Lorie....As well as the Inquisitor.

One of a gaping skull with the antlers of a deer as skeletal hands held aloft a crown in triumph.

Those attuned to the natural world such as Ora or the spiritual plane such as Haraise felt it as a foul stench in the air, as a presence like a tiger in the brush.

And the vision ended.

----------------

The chief laughed, a booming noise like thunder as he gripped the hand offered and shook it, careful not to harm as he spoke in a rolling tone like the storm approaching across the skies. With bushy eyebrows and bright eyes, he peered at the two newcomers before waving his free hand.

"Get up you idjits. You're in the presence of ladies. And fair tongued ones at that! Good knight, we are indeed Vikings. To us, war is a way of life. There is no sweeter song then the cries of battle and no honorable death greater then surrounded by enemies. Long ago, we warred with Arendelle in my fathers, fathers day. But peace we have and now, we hail them as brothers. We enjoy civilization as it stands, but would return to the wastes where home and greater enemies await."

Robb Stark spoke up at this point.

"Aye sir. The Great Enemy."

"Brothers given over to dark powers, but we hold them back. We had just finished a story as you came. Perhaps you might indulge us in judging its worth?"

@The Tactician
"Just as the tales spoke then. Your reputation as warriors is no lie then, Thain, though it is good to see you as comrades of great men such as Ned Stark as well," Kel chuckled along with the giant of the man as they shook, enjoying the brief and vague description of their history, "I hope I will meet one or more of you in the Melee then. It would give me great pleasure face one of your tribe's men in combat."

As all the men stood together for them, Keladry began to blush at the rather noble act of them all. Just a moment ago, she had thought them all fierce raiders and the like, but now, their chief had ordered them all to stand to welcome them, "Oh, that is quite alright, Thain Grishnu. There is no need to do such an act for two outsiders to your camp... Oh, and Lady Keladry of Cardomas, proud Thain," She bowed in respect of the man, seemingly afraid to shake his hand as her friend did. However, as she righted herself, she caught what Robb said and tilted her head to the side, "The Great Enemy...? Lord Stark, what is this Great Enemy?"

"I am curious as well, Stark..." Kel's eyes seemed to be alight with some type of passion, as if the name struck some chord within her. Whatever force they spoke of sounded as though it was the right sort for a knight and paladin such as her to face. Sadly though, it seemed there were other things at hand first, and she shook her head, "I am sorry, but I and my friend both came upon you all at the end of the tale. Only when you spoke of the raven which was the Allfather's omen to you did we manage to catch any of your story, and it is not fair to judge the whole only on a part, sir. Would you perhaps tell it again for us?"

"Just as the tales spoke then. Your reputation as warriors is no lie then, Thain, though it is good to see you as comrades of great men such as Ned Stark as well," Kel chuckled along with the giant of the man as they shook, enjoying the brief and vague description of their history, "I hope I will meet one or more of you in the Melee then. It would give me great pleasure face one of your tribe's men in combat."

As all the men stood together for them, Keladry began to blush at the rather noble act of them all. Just a moment ago, she had thought them all fierce raiders and the like, but now, their chief had ordered them all to stand to welcome them, "Oh, that is quite alright, Thain Grishnu. There is no need to do such an act for two outsiders to your camp... Oh, and Lady Keladry of Cardomas, proud Thain," She bowed in respect of the man, seemingly afraid to shake his hand as her friend did. However, as she righted herself, she caught what Robb said and tilted her head to the side, "The Great Enemy...? Lord Stark, what is this Great Enemy?"

"I am curious as well, Stark..." Kel's eyes seemed to be alight with some type of passion, as if the name struck some chord within her. Whatever force they spoke of sounded as though it was the right sort for a knight and paladin such as her to face. Sadly though, it seemed there were other things at hand first, and she shook her head, "I am sorry, but I and my friend both came upon you all at the end of the tale. Only when you spoke of the raven which was the Allfather's omen to you did we manage to catch any of your story, and it is not fair to judge the whole only on a part, sir. Would you perhaps tell it again for us?"
The Vikings made room as others came, the dire wolf carrying two of the children with ease on his back as he laid at his masters feet. Other clan members, would come rolling polished logs to place as chairs for both of the women as the Thain stroked his beard in thought. By his knee, a little grubby faced girl in fur clothing tugged on his breeches and he lifted her up on his lap, where she promptly made herself at home. It prompted a smile from Robb at least as the Thain finally spoke.

"Very well then."

His eyes shone bright as a hand as large as a frying pan gently stroked the head of the child on his lap before he began his story anew. And as he spoke, there was no magic save that which the story imparted. It transported the listeners, to a time long ago and barely understood, yet contained a menace all on its own. Remote and terrifying as a dragon in flight.

"Our people have always lived in these lands. Around Arendelle and in the further reaches of the Shelf, what men here call the Winter Waste. We were nomadic and far-reaching, our longboats and riders traveling afar for plunder and in respect for our traditions. We searched for the greatest challenges we could and reveled in the stories we brought home. Unfortunately, this proved to be our downfall. Dark things crept into our world, invited by our bloodshed and some of us worshiped these creatures. The weakest infants would be left out in the snow and vanish the following morning. Blood became currency, the more spilled the better and honor was forgotten in place of lust for battle beyond that which had overtaken us. In this state, we were discovered by the enemy. Some say that he was naught but an ordinary man, with great powers of sorcery. Others claim he ascended from Hel itself. But always, he appeared in the same shape. In the form of a rider in black, with a crown of iron. He gave us power and we did not think to count the cost...And alongside great armies, our people left to join them, never to return."

Silence came at this, and then Robb spoke cautiously.

"....This black rider. He was the great enemy you speak of?"

The Thain shook his head.

"Some among us say he was. I do not believe it myself. There are many stories of great evil in the world. From the tales of the White Witch of fallen Narnia, to the stories of Mordred, the Bane of Camelot. Other common stories tell of dark gods, of monsters inhuman and in the guise of man. All these things, I warrant be true enough....But not on the scale I believe. There is a land, far and distant enough....Silent for many years, but its legacy lingers on in fear and in our cautionary tales. All things evil are drawn to it eventually, as a wiser one then I had said once. I will not name it here to blacken Arendelle soil! But I tell you this."

He stared at everyone and his gaze went to the child on his lap, who had fallen asleep during the story.

"....I am old. But my hands can wield an axe yet. And should any of the dark tales return from legend, I will be first in line to send them back with steel! Bardagi ok blóð!"

Every viking stomped their foot down once in unison in approval. The Thain relaxed and looking at Kel and Keladry, smiled grimly and spoke.

"In my dream, I saw a storm of ice and snow. And within that storm, the shapes of demons with eyes that glowed with a fell, blue light reached out for me. My raven flew into the storm and was lost. Having heard my story and the dream, what say you?"

@The Tactician

The Vikings made room as others came, the dire wolf carrying two of the children with ease on his back as he laid at his masters feet. Other clan members, would come rolling polished logs to place as chairs for both of the women as the Thain stroked his beard in thought. By his knee, a little grubby faced girl in fur clothing tugged on his breeches and he lifted her up on his lap, where she promptly made herself at home. It prompted a smile from Robb at least as the Thain finally spoke.

"Very well then."

His eyes shone bright as a hand as large as a frying pan gently stroked the head of the child on his lap before he began his story anew. And as he spoke, there was no magic save that which the story imparted. It transported the listeners, to a time long ago and barely understood, yet contained a menace all on its own. Remote and terrifying as a dragon in flight.

"Our people have always lived in these lands. Around Arendelle and in the further reaches of the Shelf, what men here call the Winter Waste. We were nomadic and far-reaching, our longboats and riders traveling afar for plunder and in respect for our traditions. We searched for the greatest challenges we could and reveled in the stories we brought home. Unfortunately, this proved to be our downfall. Dark things crept into our world, invited by our bloodshed and some of us worshiped these creatures. The weakest infants would be left out in the snow and vanish the following morning. Blood became currency, the more spilled the better and honor was forgotten in place of lust for battle beyond that which had overtaken us. In this state, we were discovered by the enemy. Some say that he was naught but an ordinary man, with great powers of sorcery. Others claim he ascended from Hel itself. But always, he appeared in the same shape. In the form of a rider in black, with a crown of iron. He gave us power and we did not think to count the cost...And alongside great armies, our people left to join them, never to return."

Silence came at this, and then Robb spoke cautiously.

"....This black rider. He was the great enemy you speak of?"

The Thain shook his head.

"Some among us say he was. I do not believe it myself. There are many stories of great evil in the world. From the tales of the White Witch of fallen Narnia, to the stories of Mordred, the Bane of Camelot. Other common stories tell of dark gods, of monsters inhuman and in the guise of man. All these things, I warrant be true enough....But not on the scale I believe. There is a land, far and distant enough....Silent for many years, but its legacy lingers on in fear and in our cautionary tales. All things evil are drawn to it eventually, as a wiser one then I had said once. I will not name it here to blacken Arendelle soil! But I tell you this."

He stared at everyone and his gaze went to the child on his lap, who had fallen asleep during the story.

"....I am old. But my hands can wield an axe yet. And should any of the dark tales return from legend, I will be first in line to send them back with steel! Bardagi ok blóð!"

Every viking stomped their foot down once in unison in approval. The Thain relaxed and looking at Kel and Keladry, smiled grimly and spoke.

"In my dream, I saw a storm of ice and snow. And within that storm, the shapes of demons with eyes that glowed with a fell, blue light reached out for me. My raven flew into the storm and was lost. Having heard my story and the dream, what say you?"

@The Tactician
Both listened as they took their seats among the warriors, enraptured in the tale the warrior-king recounted from memory, as if he had gifted thousands upon thousands of ears with its words. Where before there were sweet grins directed at the children that had joined them to listen to the wise man speak, now there were only frowns of different origins, one of fear and the other of newborn yet focused fury directed at the evil spoken of. Keladry did not know what to make of the tale beyond that simple emotion of terror, but Kel was certain of her views.

"It pays to be vigilant as you are, Thain. This evil you speak of... Each generation should know of it, should know to fear its corruption. To do otherwise... Especially with the omen you saw in your dreams. I feel it was not just you that raven was meant to represent, but also your clan and all of the world if we simply fly into whatever destruction the Great Enemy may bring. Thank you for telling it again, Thain Grishnu."

Kel nodded in agreement with her companion, though her expression was still a mixture of fear and uncertainty, "Yes... What you speak of... It is something that we should all hear at some point or another. Again, thank you."

Both listened as they took their seats among the warriors, enraptured in the tale the warrior-king recounted from memory, as if he had gifted thousands upon thousands of ears with its words. Where before there were sweet grins directed at the children that had joined them to listen to the wise man speak, now there were only frowns of different origins, one of fear and the other of newborn yet focused fury directed at the evil spoken of. Keladry did not know what to make of the tale beyond that simple emotion of terror, but Kel was certain of her views.

"It pays to be vigilant as you are, Thain. This evil you speak of... Each generation should know of it, should know to fear its corruption. To do otherwise... Especially with the omen you saw in your dreams. I feel it was not just you that raven was meant to represent, but also your clan and all of the world if we simply fly into whatever destruction the Great Enemy may bring. Thank you for telling it again, Thain Grishnu."

Kel nodded in agreement with her companion, though her expression was still a mixture of fear and uncertainty, "Yes... What you speak of... It is something that we should all hear at some point or another. Again, thank you."
"It differs I think for many. Arendelle is lucky its had such peace for a long time...And yet, there are stories here as well as accounts of darker things. Unseelie monsters, trolls and Drow from the underdark who raid...The Walkers. And beyond in the mountains, are troves of great and cursed treasures and who knows what else. Leftovers of tombs and what not. No, Arendelle is prosperous, but it does not mean we are no less vigilant then our Viking brothers in the waste."

Robb Stark looked at the Thain and smiled grimly.

"Sharp swords in peace means less blood in war."

The Thain chuckled darkly.

"Indeed young pup. And now, I think my granddaughter is ready to sleep. We shall meet you all I hope at the banquet later at the castle."

He sniffed and turned to look towards the North before laughing off his unease.

"And I look forward to seeing you all compete in the trials."

@The Tactician

And the vision ended.

Lorie Fisher

@Ringmaster @Forrest @Gummi Bunnies @Indolent

Lorie felt that strange shiver from before again, and suddenly looked back towards that mountain range in the north... This time, she saw it. Though it was just a brief vision, it was still enough to make her shudder... A freakish abomination, one that almost resembled the withered husk of strange man-deer hybrid creature. A faint, putrid stench seemed to waft through the air too, making her wrinkle her nose for a few moments as she seemed to freeze on the spot for the moment, wrapping her cloak just a little tigher around herself... She had a feeling something was coming from the North, something horrible. Though, she had no idea what... ... It worried her a little, but she sighed, figuring she should take it easy... Maybe visit the Carnival?

"It differs I think for many. Arendelle is lucky its had such peace for a long time...And yet, there are stories here as well as accounts of darker things. Unseelie monsters, trolls and Drow from the underdark who raid...The Walkers. And beyond in the mountains, are troves of great and cursed treasures and who knows what else. Leftovers of tombs and what not. No, Arendelle is prosperous, but it does not mean we are no less vigilant then our Viking brothers in the waste."

Robb Stark looked at the Thain and smiled grimly.

"Sharp swords in peace means less blood in war."

The Thain chuckled darkly.

"Indeed young pup. And now, I think my granddaughter is ready to sleep. We shall meet you all I hope at the banquet later at the castle."

He sniffed and turned to look towards the North before laughing off his unease.

"And I look forward to seeing you all compete in the trials."

@The Tactician
"It is good that men such as you and your father are so vigilant, Lord Stark. What lies beyond the North sounds to be a terrible curse upon this world, and knowing you and your Viking brethren all stand guard together is a comforting thought... And those sharp swords will mean less blood eventually." The impression that the young Robb had left in Kel's had now changed, from one of seeing him as less than a knight who could no control over his own mutt to one of seeing man growing too soon, to watch along with his father and his faithful wolf who now played with children but would prove a unyielding adversary in battle. Perhaps he would be a good competitor to test against specifically during the melee?

"Yes... And thank you again, Lord Thain, I hope to meet you again as well," Keladry turned her eyes to the girl the man called his granddaughter and smiled as she waved goodbye to her as well before standing as well, "Though no trials for I. Dame Kel is Cardomas's brightest hope in that regard, so she should be the one you forward to."

Last edited by a moderator:

@Gummi Bunnies

And the vision ended.

If it wasn't for the fact that Anna was quite the innocent and oblivious person, Haraise would've left her at this very moment. The red masked killer was her goal here... and looking for a red mask was not the spirit's intentions. Before she could simply correct the woman on what was the true target to search... an uneasy feeling passed by the spirit and her lantern.

Was there really something out there... that could bring this foul stench to the point that even Haraise would sense it? The flame that resembled her vengeance-filled spirit... and the many lesser spirits that are bound to it... the flame flickered in response to her sudden uneasiness. Never in the time of her accursed time as a spirit that she felt this way, and it wasn't something she wanted to feel again. But why would she sense this right away?

Was this the work of the red masked killer?

For now, the sensation went away, and that meant that Haraise could continue with her search. The lantern would shake side to side, signifying towards Anna in a way of... shaking her head.

"No... must... fi... nd... person... wear... ing... red... mask..."

@Ringmaster

The list of things which Corrin found in herself the capacity to hate was small. Almost miniscule. Iago, King Garon's cruel and slimy advisor who had tortured and taunted her throughout the war between her two homes, was one. King Garon's mysterious god Anankos, who poisoned the king's mind and set the two countries aflame with war, was another, though her understanding was limited there.

Shoes were a third.

Corrin knew she was in the vast, vast minority in her opinion, but footwear always felt so bizarre to her. Why the heck people put stuff on their feet so that they couldn't feel the ground beneath their toes, to have the grip and dexterity only callused skin could provide, was beyond her. Back home people found it odd, but no one really questioned the princess on her lack of footwear. But here...

"Milady, I am devastatingly apologetic, but please stop trying to sneak out of the tent without your slippers."

Corrin groaned and put the tent flap down as Jakob caught her in the act. Her butler since childhood, Jakob was a man who seemed to excel in every quality required of him in his station. He cooked fantastically, cleaned with gusto, and was quick with a dagger and low on mercy for anyone who threatened his dear lady. He would well and truly always have her best interests at heart. Even if it meant confining her feet to the shackles of footwear. She trudged across to the bench set up in front of her dresser and enjoyed these last moments of the cool, hard dirt of this land beneath her tones before she defeatedly put her feet on the stool in front of her and crossed her arms. Not pouting, because that would be a poor representation of Hoshido and Nohr. But definitely not happy with the situation :T "Do I really have to? Really?"

Jakob gave a solemn nod as he knelt down to wipe the lady's feet clean and slip on the slippers. like the rest of her current outfit, they were not meant for combat: a simple but elegant dress in the hoshidan style, similar to the one her mother wore, but with the black and white accents of nohr instead of Hoshido's red. Her long and wild hair was drawn back into a ponytail with golden pins holding it in place, as if to accent and call attention to the pointed ears that accompanied her red eyes "Alas, it would simply not be proper otherwise. We are far, far from home milady, and we must put our best, slipper wearing foot forward; many of these lands have not even heard of ours, and even more would find the lack of footwear a strange anomaly, certainly Somnium at the least. Did you know that their queen was found because of shoes?"

She stared, eyes narrowed in concern that Jakob had just told his first ever joke at her expense. "...That sounds fake"

Jakob nodded again, face as solemn as before "As said I, but not a single person here has told a different tale, so at least in legends it is true. And Somnium is one of the most powerful kingdoms in attendance milady, and to give them cause to dislike us so early would be most unwise."

She huffed and relented to her fate, and uncomfortably stood to her now-shoed feet once the deed was done. She glanced at the tentflap she'd been so close to escaping to now and hesitated. The little fiasco just now highlighted the one thing that had been gnawing at her mind since Ryoma and Leo had told her about her task. "...I am literally the worst preson ever for this job."

Jakob gasped with the same level of insulted shock that he would if a hobo mooned him on the street. "My lady, that is possibly the silliest sentence you have ever uttered with your lips! Do you really think your brothers would have chosen you for this job if they did not think you were up to the task of representing your great nations?!"

"Well I guess they made a mistake then!" Corrin harrumphed back as she threw her arms up into the air. "I suck at subtley, I barely passed your courtly etiquette boot camp that I'm pretty sure you just fudged so I wouldn't fail-"

"-Why I never-"

"-And I suck at keeping the level head you, Ryoma, and Leo all say are paramount for this stuff! They didn't need me for this job, they needed someone who's good at all that stuff! Someone like.... like Azura." She finished, her arms slumping as she looked back at the ground.

"...Ah." Contrary to her little tirade just now, Jakob had never found his lady to be a tempestuous sort. So it was now clear to him what was truly occuring here, and he walked over to gently lay a hand on Corrin's shoulder. "...You know milady? you're right."

"...I... I am?" Corrin said, flummoxed at the answer.

Jakob nodded "You are not lady Azura, and she would have been perfect for this task . Tied to both kingdoms as you are, but decidedly more experienced and well versed in the art of politicking. But... she is not here milady. And there is simply no one else apart from you who can claim to truly have the welfare of both kingdoms in their heart. Do you think Azura would have wished for you to second guess yourself, to compare yourself to her and find yourself lacking?"

Corrin hesitated, but eventually shook her head. "...No. No she wouldn't."

Jakob gave a small smile and pat her shoulder. "Then chin up, sally forth, and make her proud. Wherever she may be watching you from."

She sighed and returned the smile as best she could. "...You're right. Thanks Jakob. Well... here goes then" and with that, she took a deep breath and stepped out of her tent into the tourney grounds, determined to do her darn-denst to mingle.

@Ringmaster @Other people in this vicinity​

Last edited:
Afternoon wore away to evening. The crowds entertainments changed to reflect and lamps were lit. The night was banished and the celebration continued.

At the Castle Grounds, the nobility and the merchants and other people of consequence gathered. Strangers from distant lands, invited to the personal table of the King and Queen of Arendelle. Long tables would be spread throughout the courtyard and servers would flit back and forth to serve the guests. Fairies flitted through the air, providing a beautiful display and here, every knight in the tournaments from the Tarkeen's of Calorman to the leaf-engraved armored figures of Aurora and more, would have a chance to know each other. Lord Bishop Constanze in particular was a grave figure, greeting those who said hello with stern gravitas befitting his station.

At the Carnival Grounds a large area would be set apart for dancing as a band of musicians tuned their fiddles and drums, before the music began to play. Lively and energetic, setting toes tapping and couples swirling around the beaten grass. On the side, people clapped and off in a roped off section, an old man in a pointy hat would be setting up fireworks.

And while the Vikings were invited to both, they preferred their own sort of party. Held at their longhouse camp, with those who liked their company they held their own feast and dance, with the Thain of Bearclaw presiding over their feast with supplies and drink provided from the castle.

Finally, there was the only quiet area in the immediate area....The Tourney Grounds, all complete and ready for the next days works.

Where you went, depended on you.

@The Tactician @Forrest @Gummi Bunnies @DapperDogman @T.O.M. @C.T. @OrlandoBloomers @Schnee Corp Lawyer @Indolent @york

Afternoon wore away to evening. The crowds entertainments changed to reflect and lamps were lit. The night was banished and the celebration continued.

At the Castle Grounds, the nobility and the merchants and other people of consequence gathered. Strangers from distant lands, invited to the personal table of the King and Queen of Arendelle. Long tables would be spread throughout the courtyard and servers would flit back and forth to serve the guests. Fairies flitted through the air, providing a beautiful display and here, every knight in the tournaments from the Tarkeen's of Calorman to the leaf-engraved armored figures of Aurora and more, would have a chance to know each other. Lord Bishop Constanze in particular was a grave figure, greeting those who said hello with stern gravitas befitting his station.

At the Carnival Grounds a large area would be set apart for dancing as a band of musicians tuned their fiddles and drums, before the music began to play. Lively and energetic, setting toes tapping and couples swirling around the beaten grass. On the side, people clapped and off in a roped off section, an old man in a pointy hat would be setting up fireworks.

And while the Vikings were invited to both, they preferred their own sort of party. Held at their longhouse camp, with those who liked their company they held their own feast and dance, with the Thain of Bearclaw presiding over their feast with supplies and drink provided from the castle.

Finally, there was the only quiet area in the immediate area....The Tourney Grounds, all complete and ready for the next days works.

@The Tactician @Forrest @Gummi Bunnies @DapperDogman @T.O.M. @C.T. @OrlandoBloomers @Schnee Corp Lawyer @Indolent @york
The light of day passed and their time in the camp of the resolute and imposing Vikings came to an end. Though at first scared of the men she had heard vicious tales of as a child, Keladry found the experience enlightening with Grishnu's tale and speaking on the omen shedding more truth upon the culture than any tutor's fear-mongering propaganda. The princess would need to remind the king of Cardomas that the past was the past and that it seemed they just as the men of the south feared the evil that awaited just out of sight in the world. It would be wise for them to speak more frequently with the longship sailors, to better understand each other, and she would see to it that such the task was undertaken.

"Come now, Kel, join the dancing with me! 'Tis a carnival!"

But for now, that was forgotten in favor of the festivities of Carnival Ground around her, for the rhythmic pounding of the drums and feverish playing of the fiddles. It was to these sounds along with the excited steps of the dancers' feet that the young princess allowed herself to be lost to, much to the amusement of her friend who shook her head with a genuine smile, "No no, you go on ahead and have fun, my lady. Clad in armor like this and with little time to change, I would only slow you down out there."

"Heh, suit yourself, Kel, though don't hold yourself back enjoying the festival!" With a final laughing command towards her guardian, Keladry spun away to join in the dancing while Kel only sighed and turned away. Dancing had never been one of the knight's preferred ways of enjoying herself, nor did she feel the desire to speak with any of those nobles at the Castle Grounds at the moment. At the moment, she was too focused on the competition that was to take place the next day, and there was only one place to retire to for the moment where she could concentrate on such a thing.

With little else to do, the knight began to make her way to the Tourney Ground, to think on the next day's clash in peace.​

Nighttime. Ah, the sweet darkness that had began to shroud those few spots sheltered from the dying sunlight. This was his sort of atmosphere!
"How liberating" he muses, a hand drawing back his hood as he turns smirks slightly. His current skin was that of a completely unassuming man, he wanted to look about for a little while, before he went and started having his fun with the place

"Fireworks~" he coos as he spots a man who resembles a wizard setting some up. He couldn't resist, and he skipped his way there, slinking between shadowy spots with an unnatural speed and grace, sneaking up on the man and coughing gently in a bid to get his attention "I couldn't help but notice you're going to be putting on quite the show...Perhaps I could be of help?" he offers, his plain smile disguising the mischievous intent

@Ringmaster

Status
Not open for further replies.