The Gentlemen's Guide to Piracy Vol 1

Status
Not open for further replies.
"That tis everythin' we need Captain." Came the deep bellowing voice of Julies, a tall Black man with arms the size of a man's thy and rightly so. He was head of cargo on the Queen Anne's and spent much of his time helping load and organize the ship. He was currently talk to Mr.Teach, his captain.
"Good," He replied as the walked down to to one of the local taverns. "Cuz these Empirial dogs want us back out and watching those trade routs by tomorrow morning."
"But, sir-" This was Flitcher the head of watch. He was a quick a crafty making a skilled spy for Edward. "W-w-we just got in last light, and the men-" "will hang if caught here without me." He was cut off by Edward as he stated plainly the facts. He knew how many he needed to crew his ship and those loyal to him were either with him or on the ship. "Send word as I have said and get loading we dont have long. Julies and Fletcher smirked and went to work, they knew what to expect from Edward and that he ment what he said.

Edward made his way through the busy town with it's merchants and people running about. He passed many booths stocked with fish and vegetables, but he wasn't exactly a man that people wanted to see. he was a man that everyone knew from his pirate years, and still even working for the empire wasn't trusted. Never the less he browsed the marketplace on his way to the dock.

S'nyia

S'nyia watched as the woman put her arms around the slaver's neck, whispering in his ear. She instantly saw the blade, as she was close to them. She wanted to know why this woman wanted to free her, but at the moment she didn't care enough. The slaver's hand slipped on her chain, his mouth opening as he tried to think of something to say, licking his drunken lips. S'nyia crooked an eyebrow at the woman, as a corner of her mouth twitched up. Wrapping both her hands around the chain in his hands she ripped it from his grasp. With a cruel smile, she hefted the end of the chain. Slowly she drew back, finally speaking for the first time since she stepped foot in the tavern. "This is for all the slaves I watched you beat and then sell, you fat bastard." The words came out in a heavily tribal accent with a cruel tint to them. And with that she drew back and swung the chain, catching the slaver square in the side of the head with it. The heavy slaver's knees buckled under him as he lost consciousness, the massiveness of his body weight propelling his throat forward into the dagger held in front of him. With satisfaction she watched as he slumped to the floor. Puffing the hair out of her eyes she looked around the room as it fell dead silent. "I've been dying to do that since I met him."

|| Lerian Monstricru // Freland // responding to S'nyia and everyone else in the tavern

She looked down at the slaver as he lay dead on the ground, not knowing whether to be surprised or enchanted by how boldly the woman had done away with the man. She settled on a laugh, wiping her dagger clean of the blood like it was nothing. Lerian leaned down, searching the man's pockets until she found the key to the slave's chains. She handed it to the woman with a "woo, couldn't have done it better myself" and a hearty laugh. "He had it comin'."
She turned around grabbing two drinks from a stranger who was already too far-gone to notice. "Well, ladies and gents, looks like you all lose your bets! This lady here can fight for herself!" she shouted throughout the tavern, effectively changing the mood of the place, which had gone to a steady silence after the outright murder of the man. Well; nobody liked him anyway. Pirates and Courtesans cheered, the music started playing again, and all was merry. What a crazy place.
Lerian turned back to the woman, offering her one of the drinks. "Now, what do you plan to do that you are nice and free?" she chimed, downing the alcohol in one swig. "I advise you be careful. Out of chains doesn't mean you're not still fair game. Although no-one here cared for the pig, his counterparts might, and they'll be lookin' for you. They'll pay pretty coin for information on you if they do, and no-one here will withhold information for gold." she shrugged. "My name is Lerian, by the way. Lerian Monstricru. Ignore these drunken idiots, I'm no simple courtesan; although it's probably better for them to think that." she winked, leaning on the bar and laughing as another man threw a punch in a corner of the tavern, starting up another fight. She recognized the man as the one's whose lap she had been sitting on before. It was easy for hands to stray when you were acting the part of a courtesan, and straying hands on drunken fools meant easy money. The coins of the man (now pinned down by a hefty looking woman) and the slaver weighed nicely in her pockets. There was no shame in the art of robbery when the robbed are practically giving themselves up.

S'nyia

S'nyia looked up at the woman as she laughed. She turned and grabbed two drinks, handing one to the newly freed woman. "Now, what do you plan to do that you are nice and free?" The woman drank her whole glass in one drink. Sniffing the drink she declined it, having never tasted alcohol before. She hadn't ever thought about what she'd do. After all, her village had been completely wiped out. Sighing she watched the woman as she introduced herself as Lerian. A brawl had broken out elsewhere but she ignored everything as she rubbed her wrists and neck. "I'm S'nyia. I'm.... not quite sure what I'll do now. I have no home on the island I came from anymore." Her eyes flicked up to the man who had initially started the fight with the slaver and then back to the woman.

Trust me, it's not that I entirely dislike you. It's just that it is entirely childish to approach an issue by not approaching the issue.

Last edited by a moderator:
(Yeah, Frelands still has laws and a Slave just revolted and killed someone. You really think everyones gonna be all smiles and give you beer?)

EVENING

Elizabeth milled around, searching for some people who might make good crewmen. They were hard to find in Freland. Everyone was either bad in one way or another, or taken. She mustered up the best crew she could: ten men, all fairly capable, totalling her at 23 crewmen, not including that young lad. She smiled. A better take then she would have though, although most of her new crew would probably be replaced or killed next port. She might sail to one of the native tribes. They have some good crewmen, and they held nothing against Buccaneers. Well, not generally anyway. But she was a friend. She'd protected a village of theirs once. Good times. Although not many of them would go with her. Maybe three or five? That was enough anyway.

It was enough.

Sighing, S'nyia sat down. She suddenly felt very weary, as if everything had collapsed on her at once. She vaguely heard the man introduce himself to Lerian. Putting her chin in her hand, she started to wonder what she'd do now that she was free. She looked up at the the woman and the man. "I don't mean to interrupt... But I'm curious about something..." She furrowed her brow. "Why did you help me? I'm just a native. And what I've seen of your people... I am just an exotic prize. So why care what happened to me... Why help me?" She drummed her fingers on the table, eyeing that beer.

He laughed at his own joke, even though it wasn't very funny. Barus took note in his mind to only make the most clever of jokes so that others would laugh too, and not just himself. He watched her smile, and his rebuttal would be quirking his eyebrow. A blade swiftly appeared under his chin, and he gulped before leaning his head back a bit. He heard her comment about not specifying which woman would win, and he slightly chuckled at this. Barus had been duped and cheated himself, when he was supposed to be "Two Timer". He wondered how long the woman would keep her blade there. He would not be happy if he just lost all of the gold he cheated from the people within the tavern. Whispers went around them, saying something about the "Rose of the Sea" and he instantly assumed it was this woman. A smirk came from this cocky individual, even in the face of death.

"So, everyone has a nickname in this town huh? How UNIQUE!"

He turned his head to the left, watching the slave put on a show. She threw her chains that held her at the mans head, and he gasped at this. Although the drunkards may have thought of it as nothing, the law would think of it as something. He than watched as the courtesan woman shrugged off the whole situation that had just happened, and cheers went throughout the bar. That woman was truly unique, and to be honest with himself, he wanted her to be part of his crew. The crew that he dreamed of, the one that he was going to sail the seas and gather treasure with. He then watched as she took the money that he had all piled up, and he guffawed at this. That nature, the way she seemed carefree about everything. This woman seemed to be just his type, but he remembers what his father said.

"No good thing comes from harlot, my boy."

He would ignore his fathers teachings for a day, but first he had to find a way to get rid of this woman with the blade at his neck. He looked around, not seeing any other way to handle things. He leaned back, all the way to where his chair would be tilting, and pulled his wait back. The chair fell backwards, his chin almost nicking the tip of the blade. He then got up, dusted himself off, and waved goodbye to the woman who was previously subduing him. He then merrily strode over to the courtesan, ex-slave, and the other man who took part of the quarrel earlier, and looked about them.

"Well fellows, hello there! My name is Barus, the greatest merchant of the town. Obviously you have heard of me? If you haven't, I'll let it slide this time. And don't tell me your names, for I already have nicknames for you!"

His index finger flew in the direction of the man, and then he grinned. "You are obviously 'Mysterio Man'!"

His index finger then flew to the one who seemed like a courtesan. "You can be called, 'The One Who Stole Barus' Gold, But Shall be Forgiven."

His index finger then pointed to the ex-slave lastly. "And you shall be, 'The Brave Ex-Slave of Freland, Who Is Probably Going to be Hunted Down by the Law!'
"

He then laughed at his own joke once more. He looked around to see if anyone else would laugh along with him, but no one even gave him a cough. Today was a dead crowd. He then waved away his old comments as if bad breath, and bowed before them.

"I was just kidding about those names, but you all look like extraordinary folk. What exactly are your names?"

"Get out of here ye flyin hell spawn!" A large and dirty looking man screamed at a black and white bird that had snatched a piece of bread out of the man's hand first and then came back to steal something else. The man swiped and clawed at the air but was unable to get his hands on the bird.
Deciding that the man wasn't worth the trouble anymore, the bird departed seemingly heading to the skies, but at the last minute it swooped down and the large man lost sight of it.

Caspian Silver was strolling between a dirty pathway between a brothel and some type of fish shop, when a small shadow was cast over him. He looked up sharply, expecting someone to be in the process of trying to grab or attack him, but breathed a sigh of relief when he saw that it was only a skua. He saw that the bird had a chunk of bread, trapped in its talons, and Caspian's eyes glowed with envy. For the past few days he had been eating nothing but salted fish, and he thought that if he had to eat one more piece he would die on the spot. He in fact had three small salted fish in his coat pocket and had planned to settle down and force them down his gullet so he could keep living another day.

"Hello friend!" He called out to the bird, and the animal seemed to stop mid flight and whirled around to face the blonde.

"Talkin' to meh?" The bird asked, in a awed voice.

Caspian grinned and nodded, "That bread you've got looks pretty good!" He continued.

The bird, puffed out its chest and seemed to straighten its posture as if to make it seem bigger. A threatening tactic to ward off other competitors, Caspian deduced. "Ye, well it's mine it is! I got it fair and square, right outta human grubby naked talons!" The skua snapped and Caspian put up his hands in defense.

"Calm down, calm down I'm not trying to take your fish! Well at least not by force. How about we make a trade?" The boy suggested.

"A trade you say? What sorta trade?"

"I've got some nice salted fish in my pocket, and I'll gladly hand it over if you give me your bread." Caspian could see that as soon as the word 'fish' had fell from his lips, the bird was interested. It had an excited look in its eyes and it was leaning forward eagerly.

"Sounds like a lovely deal it does! Here take the bread, that nasty stuff doesn't compare to lovely fish it don't!" The skua then dropped the bread on the wooden crate that it had been sitting on and flew forward, flapping its wings so that it could hover in front of Caspian. The boy took out one piece of fish and held it out to the bird, who in turn grabbed it and flew off.

Caspian swiped the bread and went off to enjoy his 'gourmet' meal somewhere else.

Ivory lets the man go seeing the courtesan take the gold she shrugs and sheaths her sword glad that the slave was free but worried she would be hunted by the law. She slowly walks over to the group curious of what they plan to do now ignoring Barus, she didnt care about the money much she just wanted to trick the trickster for thinking he was slick. She stops in front of the group smiling a small smile "Hello that was quite the outcome, my name is Ivory Windland" She holds out her gloved hand to the slave girl to shake "Im glad you got out of that mess unharmed, your free now but the law will be coming for you soon after finding out what happened here" her voice is smooth and kind

As evening fell Edward found himself at the docks watching men load his ship. Some were his and others were just lads around the dock who were lending a hand. Edward looked around the area before boarding his ship, anfd saw an officer approaching. This caused Edward to sigh in annoyance as he knew there were few reasons why an officer would approach him.
"Edward Teach?" He asked as he drew near. "I am here to inform you that you are to set out-"
"Tomorrow morning, yes I have already been told. For whatever reason you don't want my crew getting a break, or rest for that matter." Edward said as he pulled out a pipe and began to smoke it.
"No, sir. They can have rest just-"
"Ah, yes." Edward exlaimed quit breathy, smoke swirling from his mouth and nostrils. "Not since August when we set down here and when we left helf the market stock went missing. You still think that was us?" He asked casting a glance at the man. He just cleared his throat and look at his boots the back to the Captain.
"I am sorry but it still stands." The officer replied briskly and walked away. Edward let out another breath of smoke as he watched the man walk away then boarded his ship passing the many crates and barrels. Once aboard he wet his cabin and began charting a course and looking over the inventory.

S'nyia looked up just as a new man walked over to them. "Well fellows, hello there! My name is Barus, the greatest merchant of the town. Obviously you have heard of me? If you haven't, I'll let it slide this time. And don't tell me your names, for I already have nicknames for you!" Pointing at each of them he nicknamed them, saving S'nyia for last. "And you shall be, 'The Brave Ex-Slave of Freland, Who Is Probably Going to be Hunted Down by the Law!'" He laughed loudly at that. Quirking an eyebrow, S'nyia took his appearance in. Being from a primarily female tribe she had rarely seen this many men up close, let alone talking to her. "I was just kidding about those names, but you all look like extraordinary folk. What exactly are your names?" The man said. She had just opened her mouth to answer them when another woman walked up to them. Shoving herself in she introduced herself. "Hello that was quite the outcome, my name is Ivory Windland" She held her hand out towards S'nyia. "Im glad you got out of that mess unharmed, you're free now but the law will be coming for you soon after finding out what happened here" S'nyia looked at the woman's hand, covered in a glove, unsure of what to do with it. "My name is S'nyia." She spoke to both of the newcomers. "I did not know it was not right to accidentally kill that man." She looked down at the repulsive slaver. "I am not from here."

Ivory lets her hand fall realizing she didnt know what to do with it she smiles reassuringly "Any slave that attacks their master and kills them whether intended or not is guilty of murder by Law, I know its unjust if it helps you I have no plans on turning you in" She looks from S'nyia to the not so courtesan woman and the mysterious man wondering of their intent towards S'nyia "Do you have any plans now your free S'nyia?"

S'nyia shook her head. "My village is gone. My tribe is dead or taken like me." She said it matter of factly. After all, it was a simple fact now. A sad one but dwelling on the past would not help her future. And the warrior in her was focused on simply surviving now.

Ivory frowns saddened by it but not surprised "Well do you have any ideas of what you wish to do now? Surely you dreamed of doing something if you were ever free" She shifts slightly resting her hand atop her sword hilt "If you would like to get out of Freland S'nyia and sail aboard a ship I would happily welcome you to my crew, and dont worry I do not own or ever wish to own any slaves" her sapphire eyes look into hers sincerely

|| Lerian Monstricru // Freland // responding to S'nyia and everyone else in the tavern

Lerian smiled, glad she had been giving a response and that the now-free-slave had decided to not act hostile towards her. "S'nyia's a fine name." she commented, turning around briefly again to order another drink from the bartender Something that would last, she said, so he gave her rum and she flipped him a coin. When she came back into the conversation, the man named Calder had acquainted himself with them. He had been the one who had first attempted to help S'nyia, having been interrupted by yours truly. He seemed like a good man. She laughed at his comment, amused by his peaked interest. "If you are asking why I sit on a man's lap all day while I pickpocket him away instead of fighting on the high seas, the answer is simple- I am a Captain without a ship or a crew, and far too stubborn to follow anybody's orders." although she spoke with humor, there was an underlying tone of bitterness. "I am not offended by your comment, Calder. There is no honor in living so lowly; although it's hypocritical for a pirate to speak of honor."
When S'nyia spoke, she listened to her intently. Lerian wasn't surprised at how lowly she thought of the people here. When the woman finished talking, she smiled. All of a sudden, Lerian felt nostalgic. She had been in a similar situation once, a long time ago. She shrugged the feeling off.
"A whim and morality, I suppose. If there is something I despise, it is men trampling on women to make themselves feel big. Like I said; the pig was asking for it." Cheer returned to her voice and she passed the rum to Calder with merriment.

She was interrupted by the merchant who had jumped into their conversation so suddenly. There were few jokes Lerian found no humor in, and... well, let it suffice to say that the man's humor was not exactly refined. It seemed like the "crowd" agreed with her, as no one but the merchant- Barus- laughed. There was also another word that popped into her head as her first impression of the man. He was... what was the word? Full of himself? Loud? Obnoxious. Full of flattery. She didn't dislike him, although, he couldn't have been a more obvious presence. "Name's Lerian. This is Calder." Lerian would have also included S'nyia, but it seemed like she had engaged in her own conversation with the little lady that had trailed the merchant. Short and blonde. Lerian herself didn't recognize the girl, but immediately didn't like her. The girl was prideful in a different way than the Barus was, and it struck all the wrong chords with Lerian. She frowned at Ivory's proposal, but didn't say anything against it; although she had technically been the one to save S'nyia, the woman didn't owe her anything. The choice whether to go or not was her choice, as well as what she would do from there.

Lerian ran her long fingers through her hair with a sigh, her attention now back on Calder and Barus.

Barus looked back to see the cloaked woman following him, and join the group. She introduced herself as Ivory Windland. He bore no grudge against her, but she was partly the reason as to why he lost the money that he had gained. The other part of him failing was himself, for he was not being cautious and did not comprehend the fact that someone might have stolen from him otherwise. He watched as the ex-slave was the first to talk. S'niya was her name, and her other comment about herself was true as well. She did not look as if she was from these parts. He watched as S'niya and Ivory started there own conversation, mainly about what the ex-slave would do now that she is free from her old bonds. Those two seemed like they would get along nicely. He turned to the others, and heard the courtesan's introduction. He nodded at them before crossing his arms, also thinking about her statement where she said she was a captain. He closely examined the woman before turning to the mysterious other.

"Calder and Lerian, huh? My name is Barus Arundel, the greatest merchant of this place we know as Freland."

He reflected back on her comment about her crew, and looked up before sighing. If he joined, he would indeed be traveling around the world like he wished, and find treasures. But before anything of the sort happened, he had to know more about this woman. He slid to her side before putting his right arm on her shoulder, and gave her a grin.

"You seem like an interesting person, but are you sure that you are fit enough to be a captain? I want to know about your talents first, then maybe, just maybe, you could have a MERCHANT upon your ship. How great would that be? I could handle finances, gain coin for us, pay people of others lands to help maintain the ship, and have amazing parties funded by the riches we gain on our adventures. So whadya' say. Care to explain more about yourself?"

Skipping the boring necessities of human interaction, Lucas drug Troy around for a few hours scrounging up decent fellows to work on his lovely new employers ship. Through both bribery and...er...persuasion they amassed about six or so half-drunk lads to scrub the barnacles, two or three decent enough carpenters to fix the ship itself, and a strapping big fellow for heavy lifting. They, with their entourage, hunted down the captain. Lucas called out to her,
"Excuse me ma'am, but I have brought some folks here to help you with your ship...troubles."

Last edited by a moderator:
Edward was busily working away at the charts plotting his course around the sea area of Alvania guarding the nearer trade routs for the Empire. He was interrupted by a knocking at the door to his room. "It opens." he replied loud enough to be heard. the person to come in to his cabin was his first mate. "What is it Clutch?" Edward asked looking back at the charts.
"We are ready to set off, the crew is back and the cargo is fastened." Clutch replied standing awaiting his next instructions.
"Check the decks for stow-a-ways, prep the night watch then report back."
"Yes, sir." With that Clutch left shutting the door leaving Edward alone once again.
I need to make a visit to Freland see if I can make another deal with someone. everyone needs a good looting.

After wandering about for quite a while after his sparse meal, Caspian decided to go to the local tavern. He had just 'earned' a few gold pieces when he had paid a visit to his busty friends at a local brothel. The woman who had helped raised him was in charge of it and had offered to pay him if he helped her out by offering his 'charm' to some of their customers who preferred his type. He had felt pretty dirty after the deed, but the money made up for it.

The smart thing to do was to save it and spend it on something long lasting and worthwhile, but Caspian was parched and what was the harm of just getting a drink?

He strolled into the tavern, slinking past a large group by the bar and purchased his drink. He settled down at one of the small tables in the corner, with his back against the wall. That way no one could sneak up on him and he would be able keep his eyes on the exits if something unsavory happened.

He was slowly sipping his drink, well aware of a few people leering and smirking in his general direction because of how he was drinking. People had always poked fun of his drinking habits, verbally harassing him for drinking 'daintily like a lady' but he just ignored them. Unlike most people, he liked to taste his drink.

"Oi."

Caspian looked down quickly, frowning as he thought he'd heard someone say something to him. Seeing nothing he returned to his drink.

"Oi!"

Turning quickly to the left, the blonde saw a large tired looking gray cat with luminous yellow eyes staring at him. Well at his pockets really.

"Hello there friend." Caspian said cheerfully, as the cat approached him cautiously. "Busy day?"

The cat dipped its head, "Ye, me master had me scoutin' fer vermin all day. Di'int gimme a break till jus now." The cat complained flicking his tail in the direction of the bartender. Its eyes still trained on Caspian's jacket however. It was then that the man remembered that he still had one small salted fish left. He pulled it out, dangling it in front of the feline who immediately perked up.

"You want this?" Caspian inquired and the cat licked its chops eagerly.

"Ye, I'll give ya a three gold coins fer it!"

Caspian's eyebrows rose in surprise. He had originally planned to just give it to the cat free of charge, but if the animal was willing to trade...

"How is it that a cat had currency?"He asked curiously.

The cat gave him an irritated look, "I spend all me time in a tavern. How do ye think?" It snapped, and dashed out of sight. When it came back it was carrying a small coin purse. It dropped it at Caspian's feet and the man tossed him the fish, which it promptly ate, then nodded at him and went off somewhere else.

Caspian grabbed the coin purse, not bothering to check inside of it. Even though they were often very rude, most cats had a tendency to always tell the truth.

Status
Not open for further replies.