The Gentlemen's Guide to Piracy Vol 1

Status
Not open for further replies.
S'nyia shook her head. "I know nothing of being on a crew. I also don't know how to use a sword, if your ship were ever to be attacked. I only know spear fighting." S'nyia looked around the room, watching the others talk. She saw Lerian talking to Calder and the newer man, Barus, attempting to attract her attention. S'nyia rolled her eyes. She doubted the man had much chance with the woman who had helped her kill the slaver. Looking up she watched as another man entered the tavern and moved to the back wall. He offered a cat a fish from the looks of it and S'nyia dipped her head to the side. She was slightly intrigued that this man would be so kind to a measly animal.

Ivory shrugged "Spear fighting is as good a skill as sword fighting, me and my crew could teach you the ropes. We're not a real rowdy bunch we know to stay in our limits, if not I give them the boot" she follows S'nyia's gaze seeing the man feeding the cat she raises an eyebrow amused and intrigued she looks back at S'nyia smiling softly "Its your choice S'nyia I wont force you into anything, the offer is open till the morrow that is when I will be shipping off once my ship is repaired. If you decide to join us come to the docks ill tell my crew to expect you" her tone is friendly

Ivory turns away from S'nyia walking out of the tavern seeing the sun starting to set she makes her way back to her ship passing by all the closing vendors and a group of men, a boy, and a woman conversing

I don't have time for you, but I will be sure you have time to nit pick through each of these posts if you give a damn about the integrity of your role play which you love to have a choke hold on.

Last edited by a moderator:
Elizabeth raises an eyebrow. "And you took them around sight seeing? The ships that way. GO!" She waves her hands at the assembled entourage, and they scatter off to the ship. "Honestly, boy. You should use your head every once in a while." She sighs, sitting down next to a Tavern marked Final Resting Place. "The stars will be out soon." She coos, half to herself, half to Lucas and Troy.

SUNSET

Well, that's cute. Lucas thought to himself. He thought it best not to say it out loud. He thinks about the taverns name,
"That's a fitting name for a tavern, considering it is what is going to happen to most of the drunks in here." He pauses, "so you like the stars, huh?"

|| Lerian Monstricru // Freland // responding to Barus, Calder + Tavern

Lerian was completely aware of the bounty on her head as well, and it wasn't that she cared, its the fact that she doubted any measly bounty hunter could put up a fight. Not against her, at least. Although music played still, and a few loud laughs and corny jokes were told, there wasn't as much chatter as there would usually be at this time of day. The sun should be setting around this time. She watched Ivory leave with thoughts clouding her mind still. Lerian barely heard what Barus said. She watched a boy exchange a few words with a cat, who seemed to understand and later brought him coin... Strange. Then it suddenly occurred to her that she was forgetting something. With a sharp turn and an almost frantic expression on her face, she started searching for something.

A few folk gave her a few faces when she whistled at particularly nothing, and a woman screamed when a giant lizard-like critter appeared in a blink of an eye and crawled onto Lerian's shoulder. She stroked the lizards head, muttering a few words of reassurance. When she was in her right wits, she turned back to Barus and Calder with a nervous chuckle. "Sorry gents, I thought I lost him; a girl has to keep an eye on her things." she winked, "Barus. I was Captain of a ship for nearly ten years. I know the Seas, I am no wide-eyed fool looking for loot and adventure on a whim. I'm sure you'd make a fine Merchant, but unless you can find me a ship to sail, then I'd say we're both out of luck." she laughed, knowing it was probably not exactly the answer he was expecting. A life story, maybe. But Lerian would be a mad woman to tell him who exactly she was.

Barus's statement also struck a chord of amusement with her. "Please, the men here are everything but 'good and honest working folk'." She narrowed her eyes at him, "I'm no whore either, if that's what you're getting at. I don't sleep with these men- who knows where they've been. I haven't fallen so low. I coo in their ear, tell them what they want to hear, 'drink' with them, and when they pass out and wake up in the morning, they'll be missing a few coins. Just enough to get by."

It was when Barus got all low and quiet about his suspicions that she started to get a bit nervous as well. Nobody around these parts were in good terms with the law, but few committed murder, even if accidentally, so publicly. And it was getting dark. "I have a place in a more quiet part of town." The lizard- Iguana, really- on her shoulder hissed. Lerian ignored it. "We can talk there." She looked at Barus and S'nyia. "You two can come too, if you wish. I don't usually keep company, but you don't have anywhere else to stay, so.." she said, referring to S'nyia. Really, it wasn't wise of her to keep an company at all. She had kept her neck out of trouble too thick for her to handle for this long by avoiding the hassle of making acquaintances and those unnecessary things called friends, but it seemed like they were all in this together now. Well, maybe not Barus, but she preferred if she could keep an eye on him. It'd be annoying if went loud-mouthing to everyone about them for a few coins.

Caspian was finishing up his drink and preparing to leave when a woman's' horrified scream caught his attention. He turned around slowly not wanting to look to concerned or frightened in case anyone was watching him. His gaze landed on a flash of scales and he followed that flash right up to the shoulder of a tall blonde woman. A large iguana was resting on her shoulder. Caspian's eyes brightened, as he didn't see that many people with such intimate relations with animals. Most people he meant would sooner kick a creature than let it touch them.

He considered approaching the woman, but decided not to. After all he wasn't really interested in talking to her, he just wanted to greet the reptile. And it would be quite rude if he just stood their conversing with the pet and not the owner.

"Speaking of pets," He murmured to himself, "maybe I should get one. A cat I think, or maybe a fishing dog." He mused. He spent most of his time alone and a companion would be nice.

He stood up quite suddenly, surprising himself really. While he was having a discussion with himself he was also deciding whether or not to approach the iguana's owner.

"What beauty you've got there." He said cheerfully, as he walked up to the woman. "The iguana I mean. Not you." His eyes widened and he tried to backtrack quickly. He hadn't meant that! "Err...It's--I mean--The iguana is the beauty, and you are too. But less--The iguana more." He spluttered, quite sure he wasn't making an ounce of sense. He really needed to spend more time in the company of others. You would think that frequenting brothels would have given him some experience.

S'nyia had been watching the others, taking everything in. Calder handed her the bottle of rum and she sniffed it before passing it back to him. They began to converse lowly about finding a better place to lay low for a while. She wasn't quite sure what they were so worried about but when Lerian offered her a place to stay for the night she wasn't going to turn it down. After all, she didn't want to stay on the streets. When Lerian called her lizard she didn't even bat an eye. She was very used to animals. Looking to the table where the man with the cat had been earlier she noticed he was missing. She scanned the room to see if he'd left but very soon he made an entrance, talking to Lerian. "What beauty you've got there. The iguana I mean. Not you. Err...It's--I mean--The iguana is the beauty, and you are too. But less--The iguana more." S'nyia couldn't help but laugh slightly at his words. The man looked so flustered just attempting to speak to Lerian. She supposed some women had that effect on men. S'nyia never even got the chance to speak to many men until she'd been stolen from her home, and until today she'd rarely done so. But studying Lerian, she supposed that the woman was very pretty if not a bit intimidating. She sighed, finally deciding against her better judgement to taste the beer that was in front of her. Taking a swig of it she started coughing immediately and set it back down, making a face. It was horrible. How did they drink this stuff?

|| Lerian Monstricru // Freland // responding to S'ynia and Caspian + Tavern

Lerian looked at the boy with utter... well, she didn't know exactly what. Surprise? Distaste? Delight? Before she could speak, the Iguana turned it's head towards the boy, speaking for itself in human words. "That's flatterrring." his tongue flicked against his mouth. "Boy has good taste." a chuckle resonated from the lizard. "Good tastes!" she retorted, "He said you were more attractive than I! How shameful." she hid her face jokingly, then peaked at him through her fingers and laughed.

"His name is Malum. He likes to speak for himself though. I'm Lerian, and I like to speak for myself too." She looked at S'ynia, who had attempted taking a swig of alcohol and ended up sputtering it up. Lerian laughed, patting the foreigner on the back. "There, there. Takes a bit getting used to."

Caspian reddened, and nodded quickly, "My name's Caspian, nice to meet you Malum--And Lerian!" He said quickly, running over top of his own words. He turned to the other woman present, and cast her a small smile. "It's good to take small sips." He suggested. "At least that's how I approach it." It then occurred to him that Malum had spoken in human tongue not lizard speak. Usually when Caspian spoke to animals he used their tongue as they weren't capable of speaking in his.
He stared at the iguana, eyes wide with awe. "You speak human tongue? How is that possible?" He asked, excitedly. Then blushed and scratched the back of his head turning to Lerian. "If you don't mind me conversing with your companion, that is." He said sheepishly.

S'nyia reddened slightly when Lerian and Caspian caught her choking fit. SHe set the beer back down and pushed it away. She listened intently as Caspian spoke of talking to animals. Is that why he had given the cat a fish? Tilting her head to the side she spoke quietly, "Do you normally talk to animals?" She didn't say it harshly. It was more like a curious question. She was intrigued by this man who could talk to animals. She wished she had the same gift. Animals were much nicer than people.

|| Lerian Monstricru // Freland // responding to S'ynia and Caspian + Tavern

She frowned at his question. "I don't mind. We met by happenstance." It wasn't a lie, but it wasn't the entire truth either. Well, honestly, it was not even close to the entire truth. She would rather not have people poking at her talent in being able to summon demons and monsters from the depths of God know's where. After all, after watching your family get burned alive at the stake like sinful witches because of it, it wasn't hard to get a bit paranoid over who she told about summoning. "There are more things in this world than you would care to know, boy." Malum's tongue flicked with happily.

Barus instantly took his arm away from Lerian's shoulder, seeing the large iguana crawl upon it. It was not that he did not like animals, but he did not like scaly or slimy things. He backed away from her before standing a good distance away, crossing his arms once more. She stated that if they did not have a place to stay, she did, and they could stay there for a while. Barus contemplated the offer. Most of the time he stayed at local inns, not really finding an actual home to live in. He nodded to Lerian, agreeing to both finding a ship for them, and staying at her place for a while.

"I would be happy to help out, and to show my amazing talents!"

He watched as yet another man walked up to Lerian, and he rolled his eyes. How many men was this woman going to attract to their group? He shrugged before noticing that the man did not seem to have that much interest in Lerian, but in her iguana instead. He started to converse with it, and Barus tilted his head to the side in a fit of confusion. Talking to animals? That was just plain weird, and Barus had never seen anything of the sort. Lerian than introduced herself and iguana to the new man. He then introduced himself as Caspian. What Barus found odd, even more than Caspian talking to the iguana, was that the animal itself could actually speak in human tongue. He muttered to himself, before shrugging.

"I guess there are more weird things in this world than I thought."

He listened to S'niya ask him if he usually talked to animals, and he wondered the same as well. He decided not to repeat S'niya's question. He watched them converse, but they were conversing way to openly. He turned his head to the side, hearing the door of the tavern open, and he watched a group of men head out. They didn't look odd, but he was stricken by curiosity as to what they left about. He walked behind them, and peeked his head out to see the group of men chatting with the local guards of Freland. Even if this land had people who did not pay attention to the law, the guards still tried to enforce it. He watched as one of the men pointed at the tavern door, before gasping at Barus' head.

"There! He was one of the men conspiring with the women, telling them to kill the slave's master!"

The group obviously had it wrong, but it did not matter. Barus instantly pushed the door shut, and leaned against it, hearing the guards bang at it with the but of their blades. He looked around inside the tavern, looking for a way of exit. There was a back door, and if opened it would lead to a wooden fence. The group would have to get out that way, or they would be caught and taken to jail. Or at least he would, he had no idea what would happen to Lerian, S'niya, Calder, or Caspian. If the guards learned the details of what Lerian and S'niya did, they might even be sent to the gallows! He turned his attention back to the group, before giving them a frown.

"Um, you see, we have a SLIGHT problem. Actually, not slight, a LARGE problem. A GIANT problem. The guards now know about what happened in this tavern, and if we stay here any longer, dire things will happen. Plus, we won't get that ship either. Lerian, you will have to show us the way to your place once we get out the backdoor. Caspian and Calder, you may want to come along as well. The men outside spotted you two conversing with us, so you're a suspect, just like us."

The banging against the door got louder and louder. Barus did not feel like being jailed up today, for his previous offenses with stealing would probably be counted as well.

"Hm? Oh yes, ever since I was a babe I've been able to speak to animals." Caspian said proudly, finally managing to drag his eyes away from Malum and face the other woman. But his attention was soon torn away from her when a loud violent banging interrupted them. It was then that he decided to stop paying so much attention to the iguana and actually notice his surroundings and company. The company that included a body.
A dead body.
Caspian's face paled as he mentally slapped himself for being so engrossed with the iguana that he hadn't even looked at the floor. And now he was going to have to run when he hadn't even done anything?
Deciding not to argue and just go along with it until he was out of harms way or at least out of the view of the guards. "Okay, Lerian where's your place?" He asked.

Edward stood in the Captains Cabin of his ship as he watched the sun disappear below the horizon of capping now deep blue almost black waves. After the sun was gone it became very dark in his cabin, but he didn't bother to light a candle for the light of the moon was enough for him. The pail white shafts shooting in through the window gave the room a ghostly appearance as Edward walked back to on of his bookcases containing books on many different things, but he had no interest in what these books held. The serein silence amongst the dark was broken by a light rapid knocking.
"Is it finished?" he asked without giving consent to open the door.
"Yes, sir, we are ready to cast off on your command." Came the voice of Cutch through the door.
"Good we are leaving early tell them to cast off now."
"Yes, sir, Black Beard." after speaking Edward could hear his First mates footsteps fade away to the top deck then the steps of all the sailors getting the ship ready for open sea.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

After going top side to give some orders and announce their job of protecting the trade routs he returned to his cabin. He then went back the bookcase from before and removed several sea chart books and placed them on his desk and opened them to maps of the areas ahead of them, but instead of sitting and studying them he went back to the bookcase where the books came from. There, on the backboard of the shelf was several patterns and holes. Edward looked at his balcony and at the windows of his cabin then produced a key from pouch on the back of his satchel, and inserted it into one of the many holes which was followed by a click. The panel the key was inserted into was dislodged and behind it was a cloth with a map printed onto it. Edward took out the map and placed it on his desk over the many books and looked over it tracing his finger from place to place then whispered. "After this punishment under the Empire I will be able to gather these things and be free from that demon."

Once he was through looking over the map Edward put it back in it's place and sealed the compartment once again. He looked out the window and sat in his desk leaning back and closing his eye's. These next few days may be our last under the Empire. He thought began to drift off. I should have neber took that offer.

This one was bit undeserved, so I edited it down.

Ivory passed by the group overhearing the woman order the boy to get them men to work on her ship, she smiles faintly respecting the woman's authority and independence already. She continues to walk down the docks to her ship seeing another ship being prepared to set sail soon close to hers. She is greeted by one of her crew-Mathew as she boards the ship "Ay Captain we've repaired the damage to her bow The Lioness is ready to set sail but...." he fidgets looking sheepish, Ivory smiles reassuringly at him "Yes what is it Mathew?" he looks up at her and sighs "the first mate be late with the supplies we sent him for...I have a feeling he be making merry with the local brothel Captain" She sighs and rolls her eyes, Ahh what a lovesick fool that boy is....I hope he hasnt gotten himself in trouble again. Ivory nods knowingly "Okay Mathew send a few men to fetch him and the supplies, be careful though this place can be quite dangerous after nightfall" He gives her a sloppy salute before going off to follow her orders.

S'nyia rose to her feet as the men began to panic about the guards outside. Calder ran back to the back of the inn before laying out some sort of device and getting behind a table. She had no idea what in the world that thing was but she decided if he was telling them to take cover, they should. S'nyia ducked under the table she was at, watching the others to see what they would do. Barus was still pressed up against the door. Turning her head she saw Calder light the fuse on the strange device before muttering to himself with a grin. She raised an eyebrow, the people here sure were strange.

|| Lerian Monstricru // Freland // responding to S'ynia, Caspian, Barus, and Calder + Tavern

The sudden outbreak of motion barely startled Lerian. She was used to it, but still, the do-gooders, as she called them, had never been after her. She was surprised when Barus blocked the door, mostly because she expected him to be more the type of man to get pushed aside and let them get captured- or whatever fate would've befallen them. Now they had a chance to escape. When the chef started complaining about Calder going through his stores, Lerian shut him up. It wasn't hard to decipher what he was doing. An explosion. A smile, lost in excitement, broke her serious expression. She flipped a table, pushing down on Caspian's head to make him crouch, and doing so herself. All around, the tavern people ran for cover as well. The lizard dissipated into thin air as the last hiss of the sparked gun-powder was heard, right before all-hell broke loose.

(short replies- sorry)

Status
Not open for further replies.