The Dragon Blades Chapter 1

Angelique sighed as she saw nothing in the darkness. She pulled up her cherry red hood after she made sure the guards were in their post. Her pale skin and red eyes and lips covered by the shadows of her hood. She felt a bit chilly and shivered. Her eyes seemed to glow their crimson color for a moment, making her warm. She smiled and walked back down the stairs. She made sure her samurai sword was secured at her waist as she walked down to the gate. She looked out for a moment. She felt nervous. The darkness was calling her again. She quickly shook her head and walked away. Walking through town and looking up at the sky for a moment. "hmm...guess ill get something to eat then"

Alice headed to her own room, set on getting some sleep.
She usually had the worst time trying to sleep but, she was
a bit stubborn and was determined to rest for once.
Upon reaching her room, easing the door open and quietly
closing it behind her, she sat down on the bed, face in her hands.
Tears beginning to steam down her cheeks. She didn't want this
to happen and yet the threat to her city and her kin remained.
She couldn't bear the weight of the guilt she had been carrying for
so long, and now it had grown to much for her to hold. And now she
had broken under the weight of it, crying until her head hurt from
the immense amount of tears.
" I don't know why I couldn't just get rid of him when I had the chance..."

Aria looked at her plate of food with a grim look. She bit the bottom of her lip and looked at the waiter pointing at the dish of cooked fish with green beans on the side. She got out a note pad and gestured the waiter to wait for a second. She got out a pen and wrote.

Excuse me sir, but I had ordered a simple cup of iced tea. There must be a mistake.

The waiter looked down at the paper a nodded. "A secret someone bought this for you, your tea will be out shortly we were out of ice," the waiter said with a smile. Aria stroked her chin and sat back in her chair wondering who it could of been. The fish did look good though steam rose from skin with green and red spices. She took a bite from it with her fork. Aira took a few more bites slowly, soon realizing that someone was watching her.

Angelique entered a cafe. Looking around for a moment before sitting down next to a window. She ordered a simple fish and chips with some water. she reached into her cloak, pulling out a romance novel but then noticed at the corner of her eye, Aria. she tilted her head to the side, staring a bit and slowly looking away, not wanting to bother her.

Skyla smiled and passed him her bowl in turn,
having temporarily satisfied her hunger. Finding
that now she was rather bored and wanted to
get something done, noticing the dust that had
accumulated around the house. Getting up once again,
she began a copious search for a broom or a dustpan,
eager to clean up the house and make it neat and orderly.

" Hey do you ever clean around here? It is a bit dirty,
would you mind if I cleaned up a bit?"

Hin walked around town for sometime wondering what to do. Her hood that she had grabbed covered her face from anyone seeing it due to her ice impurity. Why did this happen to her it was only something more that she had to awkwardly explain to someone if they met. It wasn't like she had a future with this face plus the fact she was bad at talking to people. A tear dripped down her face, it soon froze and fell off. Hin knew what to do, if she was to continue her career as a guard she had to see what Alice wanted done. She started to walk to her house. Once there she hesitated to knock as she imaged her reaction to her face, but she did.

knock knock

Hearing a rapping upon her font door, she say, holding back tears and once again locking away her feelings of such pain and remorse. Finding the strength to go and open the door without appearing to have been crying as she was. She had to set a good example so, after cleaning herself up a bit, she approached the door, a calm and collected look on her face as Sh w eased open the door.

" Oh, Hin. Please, come inside. Don't stand outside in the cold, you shouldn't be out at this hour, even as one of my most trusted guards, I can't be s r the thought of losing you to the dark."

Hin walked slowing into Alice's house, she looked down without a word. Did she notice her face? Had Hin been to secretive with her face and looked down the whole time. The hanger was up on the wall with a couple of hats on it. So she decided to get her coat off and put in on a hook. Hin looked into the living room that was in front of her as she rubbed the back of her icy neck. She turned to Alice looking at her with her iced over eye, a distressed look vivid from any angle.

" Oh Hin what happened to you?
Your face,there's ice all over it,
and it's getting worse too. How did this happen,
and how long hasit been like this?"

Alice had begun to act as a mother would,
stressing over Hin like she was a child.
She was worried, hoping that the ice wasn't
harming her in any way, after all, she really needed
as much help as she could get when fighting against
the dark. and Hin was one of her most trusted
guards and warriors, and she was also a friend.
She wasn't going to let her go, not now, not ever.
Lifting a hand under her chin so that she could
better see Hin's entire face, she pressed a hand
against the ice, knowing that just the smallest
amount of heat would have melted it, if it were
normal ice, which it wasn't, and it remained frozen
solid. Causing a slight panic to arise.

Hin pushed away Alice's hand and walked into the living room. She started to realize more of her future and how bad it will be. The villagers might become scared or even make her leave town. This was no disease this was because of herself. It was her fault this happened. She knew her dragon form is to much for her. Hin walked over to the couch and sat down looking at the ground. More worry started to pour in, she sat up trying not to show her grief.

Hin looked at Alice "It, happ--" she stuttered turning her gaze to the ground once more "It happened, again"

" Hin what have I told you about straining yourself like this?
You know you can't go overboard like that. If you keep it up,
soon I won't be able to make it go away, I can't remove it every time,
it's getting stronger Hin. We need to do something about this."

She went into the kitchen, rambling on about how the effects were
growing stronger with each incident, and how this could lead
to some severe side effects, etc. etc.

"Um my brother told me.." she paused trying not to stutter
"He told me my whole body was covered at first"
She wasn't aware of these other effects and never knew how dangerous it was.
Hin had thought it was just a looks thing that happened when she used her dragon form.

' If this keeps up then I am going to have to keep you
out of battle until it lets up a bit. And as much as I hate
having to do that, I might have to before long. As bad as
this has been getting. And right now, by the looks of things,
I am going to really need you soon, possibly in the very near
future. So I have to ask you to only use your dragon form if
you or someone else's life is at risk, or it is absolutely
necessary,and even then, you have to be careful of how long
you remain as a dragon. I don't want to loose you like I did the
others Hin, especially not now."

Alice emerged for the kitchen, two mugs in hand, each one steaming
with some unidentifiable liquid that appeared to be some sort of
liquid chocolaty substance, but a lot thinner and not as milky as chocolate.

Kyle put the dishes away after cleaning them and came from the kitchen, looking at the strange girl looking around for something. "Did you lose something? Do you need help finding it?"

Hin looked down at the liquids, she remembered them.
They were sort of melting antidotes for the ice.
But one of the side effects was extreme pain and even black outs.
She didn't want to be unconscious any longer then we already was.

" I added something to weaken the side-effects. If anything
you should only feel some slight discomfort. It won't be as
bad as before, at least, not form hat I have seen it won't."

She gave Hin a glass, keeping one and drank from it,
it being a completely different drink though with the same
appearance as Hin's. It was significantly warm despite the
rising steam, giving the illusion that it was boiling hot, even'
though in reality it was somewhat lukewarm.

Skyla looked up, realizing he hadn't heard her question, and
repeating herself.

" Do you have a broom, or a mop maybe? I would love to tidy
this place up a bit if you don't mind my doing so that is."

"Oh no, I don't mind one bit! Though ladies shouldn't be doing all the work." He said just as a little bit of his mist dripped out of his mouth. "Something is wrong..." Kyle looked a little worried. "I'm sorry, Skyla, I must check the wall. The broom and mop are in that closet near the entrance." He said as he pointed at the closet and quickly ran outside. He made sure no one was around before going into his dragon form and flying to the top of the wall. As he landed he quickly went back to his human form and looked down below, trying to see what exactly was wrong.

Skyla stood blinking, dazed by the sudden disappearance of her friend.
She eventually scurried t the closet, taking the broom and starting to
vigorously sweep the house, a large pile of dirt and dust piling up in
the center of the living area.

" When I am done, this place will look like it just got waxed and shined!"

After a while, Kyle was now sitting. "My senses are getting rusty..." He sighed and sat still, his eyes closed

But something shifted in the darkness beyond the walls. Something beyond comprehension. And just that one small movement, it sent a rush of wind across the plains and through the city like a gale, the shimmering tower in the center of town flickering in it's shadow. Until the light of the city was quenched, a deep laughter erupting form the darkness that lay beyond the walls. A few houses being set ablaze, the fire spreading out through the city, and soon it was all under a spell of fire. Things falling under The Dark One's quake and flames. It was now that he chose to attack, choosing now as the time when it was most effective against the dragon shifters, when they were at their weakest point in the day, when they had the least of their guard out at the wall and most of the civilians were huddled in their houses which were burning to the ground by the second.

" And this is where you all die..."