The Darkest Night [OOC+SIGNUP]

Status
Not open for further replies.
So, since the debate and discussion here is not that lively...
In one of my IC posts, I mentioned a Kalthoff repeater. The Kalthoff, similar to the Lorenzoni pistol shown in the video below, is a rare version of a 'lever' action flintlock rifle. I thought such rare and unusual (and undeniably, overpowered) weapon added some interesting flavour to the story.

/worst GM of the year

I think I said something about 'after Wednesday' in here and then disappeared. I suppose I was not technically incorrect, it is still 'after Wednesday'.
That day I posted last I went and impulse bought a plane ticket and had to rush to settle my international affairs and skedaddle on home. BUT, I am now there after such a long time and ready to whip this place into shape.

So - discussion time. What do you guys want from this roleplay at this point? I'm also trying to brainstorm future 'events' to spark conflict, but I want to know what you have cooking, too. I had originally hoped for a bit more character interaction before an 'event', but a story-wide plot may be what we need to get everyone better involved.

I will say that I do imagine @Lurcolm 's deep elf character could certainly add intrigue, being that it introduces a possibility now for a whole unknown world to be introduced, which could lead to many things I hadn't previously considered myself.

But I'm glad to see some posts rolled in! I'll have another up here soon.

So - discussion time. What do you guys want from this roleplay at this point? I'm also trying to brainstorm future 'events' to spark conflict, but I want to know what you have cooking, too. I had originally hoped for a bit more character interaction before an 'event', but a story-wide plot may be what we need to get everyone better involved.
Well, I do have a couple ideas, though it's up to you if they're worth incorporating. I was thinking that in order to spark a major conflict, a small task force could be deployed into the bowels of the tunnels in a desperate attempt to maybe find supplies, food or a way out. They could stumble on a horde of subterranean creatures and retreat to the safety of the city (I believe that would make them the first group to return). This would stir up excitement in the city amongst the people as well as politically, all while the creatures move closer and closer to the tunnel openings. So there would be people fighting against each other (mostly political instability and maybe small riots) and the ever looming threat of the underground creatures.

Last edited by a moderator:
My guy would gather power like that, he's a herder so he's gonna know what they are and what their weaknesses are. He'd make an improvised militia

The idea for things living in the tunnels does not seem bad at all. Ultimately, such creatures would likely be scared away by the city's existence and life; fire, smoke, smells, general humbug. Since (at least it is the impression I have) good half of the city is dead, the things that would scare them away are no longer present, and whatever would exist deeper underground would act bolder. Hence, tension and drama.

As for political unrest, for that you need to ask yourself, where it would come from? A riot without a good leader would result in nothing changing and a lot less mouth to feed. Ultimately, the Patrician and the Palace Guard are still in the game, and they are the ones with training and weapons. Obviously, an open combat is a nuclear option for them, and any decent politician would stay away from it, unless he'd have prepared the demise or subduing of any other possible enemy that could use this fuckup against him. As for the actual political situation itself, it is extremely stable. There is cooperation and communication between all the interest groups in the city through the Council. The Patrician is there, the Miners are there, the Bureaucracy is there, and through Ivar, the poor and sorrily out of luck are there as well. As long as this stays as it is, there's no potential for political unrest.

At least that is how it seems to me at this moment.

It seems natural to assume more threats would be coming up from the tunnels - or that those said-teams would 'waken' them or lead them back, whichever. I imagined that at some point a travel-weary person would stumble back having just escaped some terror that took the rest of his/her team.

The political unrest question had actually been my primary goal (which I knew was always subject to change when inviting others to the story), but I expected someone to take interest in a crime lord role. Those always seem to be popular, but I misjudged. This potential was the main reason I chose to say most of the slums survived, suddenly putting the rule-following citizens and makers at a disadvantage.

I do think it makes more sense for political wars to come before any strange creatures, it simply seems a natural timeline.

We could, however, request/advertise or play ourselves at least some characters on the side of the political opposition and manufacture a sort of 'shadow' character in case someone someday would like to play that character. I don't personally want to play this character as a face because I don't want to have any more high-profile characters under my own command.

@Jess Incognito I'll do the crime Lord. Easy to do since I'm only running one guy

There is also the Prior and the Abbey of the Stone, who were not invited to the council. Other than that, Vendrick Rahman, the smuggler who's part of the council, could be useful in the crime lord story arc, I think.

The Crime Lord

NAME: Teigen
RACE: Half orc
MEANS: Slaver

APPEARANCE: There can be a great many things said about his appearance, none of which good. He's tall, built like a mountain, and his half orc heritage made him have an upturned nose and his lower canines hurt out through his upper lip, having cut holes through when he was young. He's missing his right ear and there isn't a lot left of the other, his pitch black eyes making it impossible to know where he was looking at, at any given time. He had pale yellow skin and his hair was a collection of coarse needle like quills instead of actual hair that happened to look brown if you bunched a whole lot together. His massive arms and torso was covered in a mishmash of deep scars

BRIEF SUMMARY: there can be many things said about Teigan. There could be said about how he was the product of a not so willing bond between an orc father and a human mother. It could be said that his mother abandoned him to the streets when he was just able to crawl. After that it could be said that he was enslaved and worked as a pit fighter.

After a while he bought himself out, and started trading slaves instead of being one. He was scouting the slums out for new livestock when the cave in happened. It didn't take long to know where the gang leaders were convening to see about what must be done. It took even less to butcher them where they stood and take control of their territories with terror and brutality.

He realised that he could become a king, and he wasn't interested in any other future for him anymore

Note: he wears rawhide pants and nothing else. He doesn't use a weapon, but is more than capable of killing you with hid bare hands

@Lurcolm
He looks great, thank you for stepping up.
I saw 'half orc' and knew he would be perfect.

I'm so sorry guys I never got a notification saying someone else posted. I hope I didn't screw something up

It seems I wasn't the only one who had that issue. Might be others have not received notifications as well...

HEY GUYS DO YOU KNOW THERE WERE A FEW POSTS NOW?

I posted that as a joke. Please don't kick me

Hi!! I'm sorry I've been gone so long. A family member died and vacation etc etc but I'm back now!!

That happens to me all the time with notifications; surprisingly not this time. So you got me excited for fictitious new posts.

No problem @harleygore, my condolences for your loss. I don't think you missed much.

Well... what the boss said. My condolences, but it is good to have you back again!

Status
Not open for further replies.