Task Force Osprey (Enlistment/OOC/Waitlist Available)

• So many newbies lately! Here is a very important PSA about one of our most vital content policies! Read it even if you are an ancient member!
Status
Not open for further replies.
Sorry guys I stopped receiving notifications. But do you think you could NOT go that far without me?
Sorry mate but you never said you were leaving and we haven't gotten a message from you. If we were to wait for one person in a group RP with this many people we might as well stop the RP completely which is not something a GM would do.

I understand. It's just I never knew we were still going because the notification system on this site is retarded.

If you don't check the LAST post of the watched threads you won't get new notifications. This is done to prevent a spam of alerts.

Also for whoever them other Alpha folks are, sorry for using your xharacters but a 1 man squad only exists in movies like Rambo and antthing new Hollywood is jacking out to make a quick buck.

I wouldn't say retarded. It's made that way so you won't receive millions of alerts that make you go bonkers when you realize that they are from the same thread. I thought the same thing as you were that it's bonkers, but now that I look at it it wasn't bonkers at all. It brought it up to may attention and it went away, whether I looked at it or not it was my decision. The alert did it's job.

Callsign: Biko

Appearance: A dark Afro-British man towering at 6' 4". His hair is styled into a wild afro, and he has a long goatee which seems to elongate his chin. He has a tapestry of colorful tattoos on his body, along with the insignia of No. 2 Squadron on his neck.

Personality: Dutiful to his cause, but will always refuse to harm children and unarmed individuals. To his fellow soldiers, he is friendly and at times cocky and resents any jabs at him due to his age, but in combat, he is devoted to tactical efficiency and will give suggestions and report his and enemies' movements. His history in No. 2 Squadron makes him an expert Paratrooper. Also a bit of a health nut - he actually LIKES the rations.

Build: Buff and bulky, rather lean, but has a bit of extra weight in case he has to deal with poor conditions - nothing that'll get in the way of a good military mantle.

Backstory:
"Honi soit qui mal y pense"

He originally enlisted with the Royal Army Grenadier Guards and completed training in '86 at age 18, where he was shipped out to Germany with the 1st Regiment. In '91, he served in the Gulf War and then dispatched to Northern Ireland.

He helped in a counter-terror op, his squad's performance in which got him shipped out to Iraq during Op Bolton (a part of Operation Southern Watch) in '98 as part of a covert operations to assist the RAF in a secret mission to flush insurgents during the aftershocks of the Bombing of Iraq - this is struck through with black ink. Officially, there's a question of his actions after the anti-terrorism mission and before joining No. 2 Squadron. His squad was decimated en route to rendezvous, but he met up with No. 2 Squadron, where he helped them as a medic, as per his orders after his squad's destruction.

"Numquam Non Paratus"

After the operation, he requested to be transferred into No. 2 Squadron, where he had gained friends among the RAF. He was retrained in '00 and shipped out again to take part in the jump into Sierra Leone as part of Operation SILKMAN in '01. He spent the rest of his service with No. 2 Squadron before retiring at the rank of Flight Lieutenant in '11

He spent time as a civilian, where he got his body modifications - excluding the RAF tattoo on his neck, which he requested when he became Cadet - and reenlisted with the United Kingdom Special Forces in '13 along with a few old friends from the RAF. He was later shipped to Task Force Osprey for his experience in combat and medical expertise.

Primary Weapon: CTAR-21

Sidearm: FN Five-Seven

Combat Vest: Plate Carrier

Kit Items: Riot Shield, Combat Enhancement Pill, Medkit

Fire-Team: Will take Solo A, would prefer a squad position (or at least a link up). A medic is wasted when completely alone.

Last edited:
Reactions: N0VA
Guys could you at least post one paragraph? I mean I am pretty sure there is a way to write more than that. Don't just say 'A follows after B' say why you are doing that, what is your character feeling. I mean it's a little bit ridiculous to write such short posts. I mean yeah, I might not replied in a bit but I am kinda gridlocked because of the other members in my squad.

• Love
Reactions: 1 person
Well there isn't much on a soldiers mind than the task at hand and what's going on immediately around him. I would add more if I could.

Last edited by a moderator:
As someome who's job entails working with and knowing the limits of calling in fire missions i think you're all underestimating how dangerous it is to calla blind grid for a danger close fire mission. Just saying.

Reactions: O|NoSoul
So, Verbal Abuse. I know I'm not the GM here, but anyone who has seen one picture of an enlisted man in any military would know that a "wild afro" does not jive with current regulations in any military.

As for the eyepatch, I wasn't aware we were still in the 18th Century Piracy tradition of not carrying NVGs in our packs or on our helmets, mainly because we have this technology now because it's not the 18th century.

As for the Raging Judge, why would you want that for a sidearm that's meant to be a quick-deploy tool for up-close encounters when you can't get to your main weapon for whatever reason. A revolver that's worth actually carrying, read: not a .22, holds at most 8 rounds, IIRC. The recoil of a .357 would make it unfit for a firefight, not to mention a situation that would merit the use of a sidearm.

As for the guages. I don't know how the British do things, but I'm pretty sure body modifications like that over here in the States would make you exempt from military service because of the potential to injure oneself because they have a hole in their ear big enough to something to get into and pull said guage out. Not to mention, god forbid this guy gets into a scuffle and a creative fighter gets ahold of the extra rounds carried in the guages for intimidation.

Please think like a person who is actually going to be putting his boots on the ground with the risk of getting killed. Would you put those things on you if you knew they were going to be a risk? And besides, I highly doubt anyone is going to appreciate the extra rounds kept in the guy's guages as anything more that 1. A weird fashion statement and 2. Something to grab in a fight.

Not to mention the extra work it would take to take out the bullets, chamber them and then shoot that single round before repeating the process for the other round. The time this would take up would be significantly more time than it would take for the Somalian/Arab/Pashtun/Bolivian/Russian/Alien to simply heft a dirty AK-47 from the Cold War and shoot Biko.

As someome who's job entails working with and knowing the limits of calling in fire missions i think you're all underestimating how dangerous it is to calla blind grid for a danger close fire mission. Just saying.
This is true.

Guys could you at least post one paragraph? I mean I am pretty sure there is a way to write more than that. Don't just say 'A follows after B' say why you are doing that, what is your character feeling. I mean it's a little bit ridiculous to write such short posts. I mean yeah, I might not replied in a bit but I am kinda gridlocked because of the other members in my squad.
This is also true.

I was of the assumption that Osprey didn't work like usual armed forces. None of that "no individuals" stuff, and the only body mods are his tattoos and gauges. The afro is best assumed to have come during his civilian years.The bullets aren't meant to be used and are literally only for appearances, and the eye patch still helps against the blinding effect of flashbangs, which I think could fry NVGs. Furthermore, the Raging Judge XXVIII is a 5 round 28- gauge revolver. With a speed loader, it is an incredibly practical firearm, especially for the mid-long range Tavor as a primary. As for how he'd do in a fight, he can't get hurt if his afro gets hit, and in a life or death situation, I think he'd be able to shoot or brawl through his ear hole getting ripped open. He would need medical attention afterwards, for sure, but this is something I'm okay with.

I understand he doesn't fit the bill of a 40-sum year old ex-paratrooper, but a bit of wildness for the sake of individuality never hurt. If GM doesn't approve, however, I do have an alternative design for him.

Why even do that though? No one puts something on and says, "I could have blood coming out of me due to this...eh, whatever..."

The eyepatch though? And flashbangs aren't just bright light machines. An eyepatch isn't going to suddenly make his ears better and make sure he's still coordinated enough to fight. By the time the flashbang goes off, whoever threw it would have entered the room and killed him and us.

And do you even know what a Raging Judge is or did you just see the name and go, "Cool."

wpid-img_5032-tfb.jpg

This is what he's carrying? This?

We're talking about a professional who has served in the military as a paratrooper and medic who knows the limitations and risks of doing what he does and yet still wants to put his body at risk because he wants to be a speshuhl snowflake?

There's a different mentality and way of thinking that people in the service, especially in Special Forces, have that's different from your or I. They aren't going to do anything that would make them a liability to the team. Don't just make a speshuhl snowflake, make a character that makes sense with what the RP is about. You're proposing that a guy that's served and then wants to reenlist and gets into a top-secret NATO task force that is assumed to be a quiet professional and a very well-trained and logical operator is going to equip himself the way you want him to equip himself?

He's going to know that an eyepatch isn't going to save him from a flashbang, he's going to know his gauges are a liability, he's going to know that revolvers, especially Raging Judges, aren't military issue for a reason so you also need to know these things. Actors research their characters and in the instance of Lone Survivor, Mark Wahlberg and the rest of the cast went through hours of the same type of shooting drills that SEALs and other Special Forces go through because he needed to know he could portray a SEAL correctly.

What I'm saying is that research is what makes characters with backgrounds we are unfamiliar with believable. Do you think the writer of the book Smack just wrote a book about heroin addiction without research on what heroin addiction entails? No. So do some research.

Last edited by a moderator:
I know about the ears - the only way he can counteract the tinnitus is if he wore earplugs which would a) make him not be able to detect an enemy he hasn't seen with at least one of his eyes which are both essentially facing the same direction and b) be much harder to keep track of than an eye patch. But if he can see, even if out of the one eye, he's better off than everyone else in the room at the time.

And yes, that big ass gun is his sidearm. It's smaller than an LMG at least. Biko's a big dude, and in situations where he will need to use it, his attacker will probably be dead after one shot, so recoil's not much of an issue.

And the guy is going into war. He could have remained a civilian. But he decides to go back into combat anyway. Yeah, I think he's prepared to bleed a little.

And I completely resent your use of the phrase "special snowflake". It demonizes individuality and is extremely judgemental. A person's sense of expression shouldn't disqualify someone for whatever jobs they are otherwise qualified for.

And lastly, I did a shitton of research. I know the military commonly destroys all sense of individuality upon enlistment. Quite frankly it's why I don't want to join the military myself. I'm not British, I researched No. 2 Squadron and the Grenadier Guards and Op Bolton and Op SILKMAN. I researched paratroopers, the Gulf War, 1st Regiment movements.

But you're going to fuss about gauges and an agro when the one girl has long hair she doesn't even put in a bun or some other hairstyle that doesn't get in her face, let alone being something to grab on as well?

Last edited:
Callsign: Biko

Appearance: A dark Afro-British man towering at 6' 4". His hair is styled into a wild afro, and he has a long goatee which seems to elongate his chin. His ears are pierced with gauges the diameter of a 5.56 cartridge. He makes a point to carry a pair of extra bullets in them, for intimidation purposes. He has a tapestry of colorful tattoos on his body, along with the insignia of No. 2 Squadron on his neck. He keeps an eye patch over his left eye to counter Flashbang effects and help him see in low light conditions.

Personality: Dutiful to his cause, but will always refuse to harm children and unarmed individuals. To his fellow soldiers, he is friendly and at times cocky and resents any jabs at him due to his age, but in combat, he is devoted to tactical efficiency and will give suggestions and report his and enemies' movements. His history in No. 2 Squadron makes him an expert Paratrooper. Also a bit of a health nut - he actually LIKES the rations.

Build: Buff and bulky, rather lean, but has a bit of extra weight in case he has to deal with poor conditions - nothing that'll get in the way of a good military mantle.

Backstory:
"Honi soit qui mal y pense"

He originally enlisted with the Royal Army Grenadier Guards and completed training in '86 at age 18, where he was shipped out to Germany with the 1st Regiment. In '91, he served in the Gulf War and then dispatched to Northern Ireland.

He helped in a counter-terror op, his squad's performance in which got him shipped out to Iraq during Op Bolton (a part of Operation Southern Watch) in '98 as part of a covert operations to assist the RAF in a secret mission to flush insurgents during the aftershocks of the Bombing of Iraq - this is struck through with black ink. Officially, there's a question of his actions after the anti-terrorism mission and before joining No. 2 Squadron. His squad was decimated en route to rendezvous, but he met up with No. 2 Squadron, where he helped them as a medic, as per his orders after his squad's destruction.

"Numquam Non Paratus"

After the operation, he requested to be transferred into No. 2 Squadron, where he had gained friends among the RAF. He was retrained in '00 and shipped out again to take part in the jump into Sierra Leone as part of Operation SILKMAN in '01. He spent the rest of his service with No. 2 Squadron before retiring at the rank of Flight Lieutenant in '11

He spent time as a civilian, where he got his body modifications - excluding the RAF tattoo on his neck, which he requested when he became Cadet - and reenlisted with the United Kingdom Special Forces in '13 along with a few old friends from the RAF. He was later shipped to Task Force Osprey for his experience in combat and medical expertise.

Primary Weapon: CTAR-21

Sidearm: Raging Judge XXVIII

Combat Vest: Plate Carrier

Kit Items: Riot Shield, Combat Enhancement Pill, Medkit

Fire-Team: Will take Solo A, would prefer a squad position (or at least a link up). A medic is wasted when completely alone.
NoSoul put out your eyepatch and gauges well enough, though I still have a serious issue with your sidearm.

It doesn't matter how long you've been shooting, how much training you have, or how good of a shot you are. Revolvers are not combat effective sidearms. I outright stated in the OP that revolvers are impractical precisely due to their small capacities and slow reloading; in the time it takes you to open the cylinder, dump out the spent shells, take out a speedloader, load the cylinder, close it, pull back your hammer and finally fire, someone with a semi-automatic pistol (an M9, for example) could simply drop the old magazine, insert a fresh one, and flick the slide catch. God help you if your revolver is empty and you run into someone with a fully-loaded AKM.

To top that all off, the Raging Judge looks about the size of an MP5. Forget holstering it, you're wasting about half the space on your vest. Drawing it at a moment's notice is also out of the question, because it's so large and heavy; research the Mk.23 Mod 0 weapon system, and you'll find out why USSOCOM dropped it in favor of its smaller cousin.

In summary; drop the eyepatch and gauges, and find a different pistol. Otherwise, I'd have put you on the roster.

I know about the ears - the only way he can counteract the tinnitus is if he wore earplugs which would a) make him not be able to detect an enemy he hasn't seen with at least one of his eyes which are both essentially facing the same direction and b) be much harder to keep track of than an eye patch. But if he can see, even if out of the one eye, he's better off than everyone else in the room at the time.

And yes, that big ass gun is his sidearm. It's smaller than an LMG at least. Biko's a big dude, and in situations where he will need to use it, his attacker will probably be dead after one shot, so recoil's not much of an issue.

And the guy is going into war. He could have remained a civilian. But he decides to go back into combat anyway. Yeah, I think he's prepared to bleed a little.

And I completely resent your use of the phrase "special snowflake". It demonizes individuality and is extremely judgemental. A person's sense of expression shouldn't disqualify someone for whatever jobs they are otherwise qualified for.

And lastly, I did a shitton of research. I know the military commonly destroys all sense of individuality upon enlistment. Quite frankly it's why I don't want to join the military myself. I'm not British, I researched No. 2 Squadron and the Grenadier Guards and Op Bolton and Op SILKMAN. I researched paratroopers, the Gulf War, 1st Regiment movements.

But you're going to fuss about gauges and an agro when the one girl has long hair she doesn't even put in a bun or some other hairstyle that doesn't get in her face, let alone being something to grab on as well?
Don't get me wrong, we've already gone over women in the military in this thread. I don't want to turn this into a shit-show. Yes, you are trying to create a special snowflake. The revolver doesn't make sense in a military environment and even in TF Osprey doesn't work like normal military, there are still people in the military in it. They trust themselves to do the job not only because they are willing to bleed with their brothers, but because they know they aren't going to do something stupid that would warrant them or their brothers bleeding for anyone for any reason.

Just because he's willing to go into combat doesn't mean he's willing to abandon every shred of common sense and equip himself with an xboxhueg revolver becuz he wanna. Again, I'm not demonizing individuality. I'm pointing out why it doesn't make sense that a man with military experience, knows what works and what does not work, knows why people don't go into combat with revolvers wants to carry a fuckhueg revolver into combat anyway.

NoSoul put out your eyepatch and gauges well enough...

In summary; drop the eyepatch and gauges, and find a different pistol. Otherwise, I'd have put you on the roster.
What you say goes man but in all seriousness I still say the eye patch would be useful if only for having a slight advantage in the case of flashbangs. I won't fight you on it, but it won't exactly be a hinderence.

What you say goes man but in all seriousness I still say the eye patch would be useful if only for having a slight advantage in the case of flashbangs. I won't fight you on it, but it won't exactly be a hinderence.
The one slight advantage--which would be purely situational--is counteracted by at least two major disadvantages, which are constant; you obviously can't see out of the one eye, severely limiting how much else you can see with your uncovered eye. You also lose depth perception, which essentially denies you of seeing in three dimensions.

They're not called flashbangs for nothing, either. That ear-ringing sound is a major pain in the ass.

I'm going to assume she at least has her hair tied back and pulled up underneath her helmet (which itself is another potential hazard, but I'm not going to elaborate.

And I'm going to say it before it goes any further:

IF YOU WANT TO ARGUE ANYMORE ABOUT ANYTHING ELSE, PLEASE TAKE IT TO PRIVATE MESSAGES.

The rest of the forum does NOT want to read it.

Status
Not open for further replies.