Super Mario Sunshine: Trouble in Paradise!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Y

Yun Lee

Original poster
The IC will be going up on September 5th!

Isle Delfino. A tropical paradise just a few hours away from the Mushroom Kingdom, this beautiful island is THE place for a vacation that will relax and refresh you, no matter what you've gone through. Ever since a certain plumber rescued the Shine Sprites and cleaned up the mess caused by a certain Koopa, Isle Delfino has seen a massive increase in tourism, so much so that every ticket on a flight there has to be bought months in advance. Luckily, you arrive there without having to spend a single penny-in fact, you wake up on a plane with no recollection of booking a flight, or even knowing what Isle Delfino even is. But after a particularly rough landing, you soon find yourself involuntarily thrust into an adventure that's like nothing you could've ever imagined. For there is evil lurking in this paradise, and nothing is as it seems. Every move you make is watched, judged, calculated into a scheme where you could very well have no say in. And with just one wrong move, you could lose it all-including your own life.

This is...Super Mario Sunshine: Trouble in Paradise.

A Message From the GM!

Hello! The name's Yun, and this is the newest game in the ongoing Murder Series, based on-you guessed it-Super Mario Sunshine. For anyone new to the Murder Series, welcome! We're so glad to have you, and hope you can join us for this game. We usually do our RPing down in the Murder subforum, but I'm hoping to get some more lovely folks into our group, and what better way to do that than with a game based on an old nostalgic classic?

Now, I know what you may be thinking: "Murder and Mario? How does that work?" Well, the reason we're called the Murder Series is because we originally ran RPs that were a lot like Mafia/Town of Salem/etc. Each one we've done tends to be based around an existing series, sometimes even a really cool crossover of two or more! We've had games based on Resident Evil, Danganronpa, the Fate series, Mass Effect, Gravity Falls, and so much more! Along with that, we also have people play characters from all different fandoms (though OCs are always welcome!). You ever want to see Bayonetta team up with Ruby Rose? How about Samurai Jack in a battle against Bill Cipher? Both have happened so far, as well as tons of other really cool crossover fights, friendships, and romances. You'll be solving puzzles, investigating murders, fighting classic enemies...possibilities are endless!

Now, since the series has been going on quite a while (a good three years now, I think!) there is a lot of lore and backstory to catch up on, which you can find on our wiki. Don't let that scare you away, though-I've worked to make this game as beginner-friendly as possible. You won't need to know a whole bunch about it, but our group is full of friendly folks more than happy to help get you in the know.

We've had quite a few games already (eighteen in fact!) and this is the nineteenth. In order to keep things new and exciting, we've been switching up the formulas and trying some new variations on the old "someone gets murdered each chapter and it's up to you to figure out who did it!" formula that Murder's used over the years. Heck, with games mixing things up, some games may not even have any deaths at all! This one, however, will have some deaths. But it's a fun new system that I think a lot of folks will like! Basically, each round, everyone will participate in something called a Paradise Game. These are essentially minigames, and like minigames, they'll vary in style: trivia, puzzle-solving, even a team challenge! At the end, at least one person will lose and be eliminated. But don't worry! This game has an Afterlife System, where you will have plenty to do if you don't make it. And you'll end up back with the main group in the final chapter no matter what, so you won't miss out! In fact, you'll be able to play some Afterlife-exclusive games, so don't feel too bad about not making it to the end.

Now, there will be ways to ensure that you have more than just luck on your side. For example, those who win games or get a high will get Blue Coins, which they can use to buy hints and even immunity. You can also earn rewards from a certain character in one area per chapter, but you may find those are rather...unethical. There's also a third way, but...I'll let you guys figure that one out on your own.

Rules!

Okay, now onto the rules. Thanks for staying with me so far guys, we're almost done.

1. All standard Iwaku rules apply.​
  2. Please be respectful to me, my co-GMs, and all other players. My co-GMs are @thatguyinthestore and @Mason Moretti and they'll be helping me out quite a bit. However, I am the head GM of this game, and I want you to come to me first in case you need something clarified. I ask that if you have an issue with something another player does, or with something one of my co-GMs says, please bring it up to me privately so I can sort things out as quickly and as smoothly as possible. We're all here to have fun, but we need to be nice to each other to make it happen.​
  3. Remember, this is just a game. Don't get too upset if you lose or if someone beats you for a Blue Coin, because at the end of the day, this is all for fun! Besides, the Afterlife I have planned will give you plenty to do, so even if you lose, you'll still get a fun experience.​
  4. This one is pretty important: please have a discord so that I can contact you! As I'm not Iwaku staff, I only get so many PMs before my inbox gets full. Quite a few of these games rely on me contacting you via PM, which is easier to do in Discord. It helps to also be part of the Murder Series discord server so you can stay in the know (I post in the server way more than the Murder clan here), but this isn't a requirement. Having a discord in general is, though, unless you're completely unable to get one. In that case, let me know, and I can arrange a PM on here.​
  5. Adding onto that, please keep all OOC discussion in either the clan or the discord server. If you're gonna be off for the night, no need to bring it up in a post.​
  6. All characters will have their powers drained, and all weapons gone. Instead, everyone will be given a FLUDD machine to use in fights. Even so, be careful not to godmod or anything. I'll keep an eye on fight sequences and make sure things stay fair.​
  7. Please, please, please stay active! I'm going to work hard to keep this game going at a pace where you can keep up without things dragging. If needed, find someone to post with, or integrate yourself into a group. I know life comes up, especially in September with school starting for a lot of folks, so if you feel you may fall behind, or if something comes up, please let me know, and I'll accommodate you best I can. If not, you character may be killed off for inactivity. I really don't want to have to do that, so please don't be afraid to give me a heads up if you need some time away!​
  8. Though activity is important, please make sure your posts have some significance to them. Sure, joke posts can be fun once or twice, but don't overdo it or other people don't have much fun. Also, three images/gifs per post please! That way, no one has to worry about lag or anything by a whole bunch of pictures loading.​
  9. There will be some limits on characters, only because of the IC physical requirements of the games. Your character needs to be able to operate a FLUDD unit, as well as perform physical activities such as running, swimming, and climbing. Basically, if you couldn't see this character being playable in Mario Party, then they aren't the right fit for this game. In addition, no duos will be allowed in order to keep games fair. OCs will be allowed, but only a maximum of five.​
Character Sheet!

Appearance: (a photo works, but you can describe if needed)

Name: (self-explanatory)

Canon: (what series are they from?)

Bio: (a link to a wiki page works just fine!)

Powers/Weapons/Abilities: (even if they're going to be gone, still good stuff to know!)

Starring:

@Archmage Jeremiah as Risky Boots (Shantae)
@Bucky as Honoka Kousaka (Love Live!)
@Cromartie Sarkissian as Tony Stark (The Superior Iron Man)
@Crow as Ernesti Echavalier (Knights & Magic)
@CrunchyCHEEZIT as Kars (Jojo's Bizarre Adventure)
@dark as Colonel Mael Radec (Killzone)
@Glostechk as Tsuyu Asui (Boku no Hero Academia)
@Gummi Bunnies as Maria Ushiromiya (Umineko no Naku Koro ni
@J A Y F R OM T H E 6 I X as Toshinori Yagi (Boku no Hero Academia)
@Jeremi as The Fourth Doctor (Doctor Who)
@Kaykay as Hina (Hinamatsuri)
@Kentucky as Peter Parker (The Amazing Spiderman)
@Klutzy Ninja Kitty as Yusuke Kitagawa (Persona 5)
@Leon Moretti as Nagihiko Fujisaki (Shugo Chara!)
@LuckycoolHawk9 as Rita Hanson (Groundhog Day: The Musical)
@Mason Moretti as Starlow (Mario and Luigi series)
@Midnight Maiden as Blake Belladonna (RWBY)
@Minerva as Ritsuka Fujimura (Fate/Grand Order)
@Otto as Talon (League of Legends)
@ShiroKiyoshi as Kusanagi (Phantom of the Kill)
@Takumi as Yato (Noragami)
@thatguyinthestore as Shantae (Shantae)
@The Myrmidon as Alesha, Who Smiles at Death (Magic: the Gathering)
@Verite as Gon Freeces (Hunter X Hunter)
@York as Ami Kawashima (Toradora!)
@Yun Lee as Yumeko Jabami (Kakegurui)​

Last edited by a moderator:
  • Love
Reactions: Khan of the Mardu
(changing my character because I'm an ass)

"Powers or no, I'm ret-2-go!"

Name:
Shantae

Canon:
Shantae_series_logo.png

Bio:
Shantae

Powers/Abilities:

• Hair Whip (aka Ponytail Whip) - Shantae's trademark move. Shantae can use her long purple ponytail hair as a weapon, cracking it like a whip by shaking her head. It was revealed in Shantae: Risky's Revenge that this skill is not a by-product of her genie half, as she is able to use this ability after her powers are removed. It's possible that this skill is a product of her own magic not tied to her genie side, or may have come from her father.
  • Magical Belly Dances - Shantae can use her ability to bellydance to cause various kinds of magical effects, most notably teleportation and transformation. Although her dancing style is certainly mostly fanciful, similarities have been noted with the Turkish Oryantal Dans style of belly dance.[2]
  • Transformation - Shantae can transform into many forms such as a monkey, elephant, spider, harpy, mermaid and Tinkerbat once she's learned the correct dance from a Guardian Genie, Magic Fountain or in the case of the Tinkerbat dance by buying the sequence from a man in Bandit Town.
  • Magic spells and magic items - Shantae can use various kinds of magic spells and items that are bought at shops. The magic properties of these items are apparently not tied to Shantae's genie powers, as she retains the ability to use them even after her powers are taken away in Risky's Revenge.
  • Fighter Moves - Having received training from Bolo and through upgrades in the shop, Shantae can perform various martial arts techniques such as Backdashes, Recoveries and several types of kick attacks (Power Kick, Drill Kick, Uppercut Kick)

"There are two sides to every story..."

Risky Smaller.jpg

"but this is how it really happened,"

Shantae_-Half-Genie-Hero-Risky-Boots Smaller.jpg

Name: Risky Boots, (self-appointed) Queen of the Seven Seas

Age: Definitely older than Shantae, likely in her mid-to-late 30s

Canon: Shantae

Bio: Her and Shantae have alot of history together

Powers/Weapons/Abilities:
  • Superhuman Agility - With a jump to rival Mario, a slide to rival Megaman, and a diving kick to rival The Baz, it's no wonder this spry lady-pirate was once The Pirate Master's First Mate.
  • Superhuman Endurance - With the help of a little dark magic, Risky is able to withstand an unreal amount of punishment, best exemplified by her violent encounters with Shantae.
  • Pirate Gear - Like any pirate seeking wealth and power, Risky Boots was quick to claim The Pirate Master's equipment after his body was buried and his evil presence sealed away. Each piece still contains a bit of his power, and as such, are unlike the common objects with which they share names. The pieces of gear are as follows:
  1. Pirate Hat - Who is a pirate captain without their hat? A common cooper, that's what. Adorned with the very skull of The Pirate Master, Risky's bombshell bicorne is both fashionable and functional, granting her the ability to glide, and catch gusts of wind.
  2. Pirate Pistol - Able to fire an infinite amount of musket balls, and a finite amount of homing rockets, spread shots, and even bombs, Risky's flummoxing flintlock is no ordinary pistol.
  3. Pirate Scimitar - A blade which can slice through the sturdiest of opponents. Risky wields her shockingly sharp and sturdy sword with speed and strength.
  4. Pirate Cannon - Small, portable, physics-defying. Risky can perform an explosive double-jump with this lightweight lead launcher.
  5. Pirate Crew - Obedient? Check. Customizable? Check. Endless in number? Check. Insatiable thirst for genie blood? Check. These mute mooks are the main members of Risky's crew, and can be summoned seemingly at will.

"There are two sides to every story..."

View attachment 144719

"but this is how it really happened,"

View attachment 144720

Name: Risky Boots, (self-appointed) Queen of the Seven Seas

Age: Definitely older than Shantae, likely in her mid-to-late 30s

Canon: Shantae

Bio: Her and Shantae have alot of history together

• Superhuman Agility - With a jump to rival Mario, a slide to rival Megaman, and a diving kick to rival The Baz, it's no wonder this spry lady-pirate was once The Pirate Master's First Mate.
  • Superhuman Endurance - With the help of a little dark magic, Risky is able to withstand an unreal amount of punishment, best exemplified by her violent encounters with Shantae.
  • Pirate Gear - Like any pirate seeking wealth and power, Risky Boots was quick to claim The Pirate Master's equipment after his body was buried and his evil presence sealed away. Each piece still contains a bit of his power, and as such, are unlike the common objects with which they share names. The pieces of gear are as follows:
  1. Pirate Hat - Who is a pirate captain without their hat? A common cooper, that's what. Adorned with the very skull of The Pirate Master, Risky's bombshell bicorne is both fashionable and functional, granting her the ability to glide, and catch gusts of wind.
  2. Pirate Pistol - Able to fire an infinite amount of musket balls, and a finite amount of homing rockets, spread shots, and even bombs, Risky's flummoxing flintlock is no ordinary pistol.
  3. Pirate Scimitar - A blade which can slice through the sturdiest of opponents. Risky wields her shockingly sharp and sturdy sword with speed and strength.
  4. Pirate Cannon - Small, portable, physics-defying. Risky can perform an explosive double-jump with this lightweight lead launcher.
  5. Pirate Crew - Obedient? Check. Customizable? Check. Endless in number? Check. Insatiable thirst for genie blood? Check. These mute mooks are the main members of Risky's crew, and can be summoned seemingly at will.
giphy.gif

With the RP starting very soon (aka as early as tomorrow night), please let me know if your characters are going to be partnering up! The RP will start on a plane with seats randomized unless you have a partner, so either pair up or leave your first interactions to chance!

• Useful
Reactions: York
With the RP starting very soon (aka as early as tomorrow night), please let me know if your characters are going to be partnering up! The RP will start on a plane with seats randomized unless you have a partner, so either pair up or leave your first interactions to chance!
As far as I know, Shantae is gonna be with @Minerva and @Klutzy Ninja Kitty which means that I'll end up with @Midnight Maiden inevitably

Also @Archmage Jeremiah is playing Risky Boots so I'll post with him a lot as well

Appearance:
4783894-4549509906-56776.jpg

Name: The Superior Iron Man (Tony Stark)
Canon: The Superior Iron Man (Marvel)
Bio:
Tony Stark. Billionaire. Play Boy. Philanthropist. Genius. After a brief time in terrorist captivity, Tony Stark learned a valuable lesson: with great power comes great responsibility. He became a new man-an Iron Man- devoted to protecting the weak and keeping the world safe from those who would wish to do it harm.

Or, at least, that was his old ethos. Following the detonation of a Morality Bomb, Tony Stark became a changed man once again: we became an even worse person than he had been to begin with. In his slick, silver armour, the Superior Iron Man fights for 3 things: Capital, Power and the American Way. No longer apposed to profiting from those he protects, Tony is a hero not to right his past wrongs, but to pass his idle time and fuel his ever growing ego. Quiet Superior, I must say

Abilities/Weapons/Powers:
"Aside from my genius level intellect and superhuman good looks?"

Tony's main 'Powers' come in the form of Extremis 3.0, a living part-superdrug-part-supercomputer that bubbles around his blood. This particular strand of EIII allows Tony to sustain a symbiotic relationship between his liquid metal MK50 Iron Man Armour. This relationship goes as far as to allow Tony to remotely control the suit with little to no effort. The suit maintain all the abilities of a traditional Iron Man Armour- such as flight, durability, repulsor blasts, teasers, energy absorption etc.- whilst also granting also including many other Symbiote themed abilities- such as tendril creation, controllable mass, liquidisation etc.

EIII also literally grants Tony assess to superhuman reflexes, a mild healing factor and literal superhuman good looks. It's all part of the package, baby
(Mobile post)

• Love
Reactions: 1 person
Appearance:
320px-Kusanagi_(Sword_Knight_1★).png

Name: Kusanagi

Canon: Phantom of the Kill (PotK)

Bio: A girl selected to be part of an experiment in the year 2200 in a demon ridden world. This experiment combines a substance called Killium and fabled god weapons. She basically woke up and started killing shit this girl Valyn told her to along with the "main characters" which you pretty much choose. Due to being a female incarnation of the weapon she is dubbed a Princess and her powers are mutations caused by Killium and an unknown force that science decided they could just mess with. She apparently holds the knowledge and experience of the sword.
Kusanagi "Bio"
"Lore"

Killium
- A significant increase in physical condition
- Some kind of supernatural power related to the wearer's weapon
Kusanagi: God like sword which holds the powers from its actual myth.

Last edited:
Appearance:

latest

Name:

Nagihiko Fujisaki

Canon:

Shugo Chara!

Bio:

Nagihiko Fujisaki

When transformed as Beat Jumper, his special attack is "Beat Dunk." In the manga, he only utilizes it with a basketball to shoot a hoop, while in the anime, he can use a basketball or create an energy ball for the attack, which expands the power.​

Another attack, revealed in Episode 93, is "Blaze Shoot." He forms a blue energy ball to throw, which becomes a frisbee-like shape as it flies through the air and slices through a chain of X-Eggs.​

The wings attached to his boots allow him to jump to an incredible height.​

• Love
"I want to be with you a bit longer..."

abb077a3-s.jpg

Name
Hiyori Iki

Canon
Noragami

Bio

Iki Hiyori

Powers/Weapons/Abilities
Wrestling Fangirl:
Aside from being a huge wrestling junkie, even managing to pick up a handful of moves from her viewings(such as the HIYORI JUNGLE SAVATEEEEE!!!), she has very little going for her.
Astral Projection: Do not let the 'tail' she occasionally displays fool you, as it doesn't come from being superhuman. It's really her caused by her soul slipping out of her body, the 'tail' being her tie to her physical form. She seems to have heightened physical abilities in this state, able to take on an Ayakashi somewhat okay-ly(if you ask her) in it and displaying jumps and maneuvers that hint at her being lighter or stronger.
Sixth Sense: Yeah. She actually sees dead people. Or, well, she senses and sees beings from the far shore, which is about the same.
Heightened Smell: She can detect people by smell. Or, well, gods anyways. Just don't ask her about Yato's.

I know the signups are still open but as the RP has started is it bad timing to join now? I know how quick it is in the beginning usually, and I am perhaps rusty in RPs, my last MG was one year ago I think.

Please let me know if it's bad timing and I should wait until the next one, or if I would be okay to join now. Thank you!

I know the signups are still open but as the RP has started is it bad timing to join now? I know how quick it is in the beginning usually, and I am perhaps rusty in RPs, my last MG was one year ago I think.

Please let me know if it's bad timing and I should wait until the next one, or if I would be okay to join now. Thank you!
Its not bad timing at all omg! Feel free to join in!

• Thank You
Reactions: Mari
Its not bad timing at all omg! Feel free to join in!

Thank you! I'll post my character here then shortly, and will join the RP when I have some time to do so. :sideways:

• Love
$

"Fusou-class battleship Yamashiro, reporting!"

Name: Yamashiro

Age: In terms of physical age, Yamashiro resembles a woman in her mid 20s.

Canon: KanColle

Appearance: Yamashiro usually wears a shrine maiden outfit but with a more modern or youthful look, having a short skirt instead of the more traditional outfit. She wears a hairpiece resembling a pagoda; like her sister Fusou does, as both battleships were known for their tall "pagoda masts".

Bio: Yamashiro was an Aviation Battleship (Fusou Class), commissioned in 1917 at Yokosuka Naval Arsenal. Yamashiro fought in World War II, and was sunk in the Battle of Surigao Strait (Philippines) in 1944, about 30 minutes before her older "sister" ship, Fusou, perished in the same battle. The history, spirit (and body?) of the battleship Yamashiro was transformed into Yamashiro's human form. Along with many other sunken warships, Yamashiro (as well as her sister ship Fusou) became part of the group that is known as the Kantai Collection, which seeks to defend the world from the mysterious and hostile Abyssmal Fleet.

Powers/Weapons/Abilities: At her current level, Yamashiro possesses 35.6 cm Twin Gun Mounts, and has a reconnaissance seaplane which she could deploy to search and patrol areas quickly, and a bomber plane called Zuiun.

She can walk as a normal human being, and can move across water as if she were in her former battleship form; as if skating or skiing across the water surface.

Status
Not open for further replies.