Seeking Dedicated Players

• So many newbies lately! Here is a very important PSA about one of our most vital content policies! Read it even if you are an ancient member!
Status
Not open for further replies.
Honorifc has it right. The world has to already be in the shitter before I would throw my life away on a dream no matter how vivid or how many times I had it.
and still my char would not move :D

But as Garth had said, it was a concept.

Also, I want to explicitly mention that EVERYBODY had the chance to submitt plot ideas and that he created the concept while there was a lack of submissions.
It is something that has been on my mind as well. If you want it to be right for yourself, you have to contribute yourself as well, otherwise people shouldnt go complain about things, if they complain they are even worse than the people they complained about. Because they themself expect a roleplay to suit their style specifically, and this is NOT how it should ever be. I noticed this pattern by some people earlier as well. Didnt say anything,

The lack of submissions even made me consider to create a concept for a plot. While that is not difficult to do, I did not want to do so unless it is absolutely necessary.

@Elan Tedronai I know I am very cold and blunt when I put the things the way they are. If you think it is too much, tell me and I will stop those things, though it bears the price that I will only look at the most important things, submissions, flaws and making sure everything is entered into our list.

I feel that I have to be even more direct.
In about nine hours, I am going to make a submission that will include Elan's plot concept and will work with what already has bene submitted, so if anybody feels they still need to submitt something, go ahead.

To further clarify, even submission AFTERWARDS are AN OPTION. You will see the reason when I made the submission.

I am heading to bed, as you can see, my writing is terrible being really tired. I wish all of you a good night/day.
And please keep in mind, all of you can make submissions, if you do not, do not complain, this is not the right place for that and will only work counterproductive.

Personally I think I've added enough of my own opinion for the time being. I'm excited to see @Nameless contribution as well as @Desire later this evening. I might add something afterwards. Elan I would also like to inform you and everyone that I will not be available or online this weekend. My family is gathering for our annual reuinion and I won't be anywhere with a wifi connection for the entire time.

I want to clarify, I don't believe anyone has been complaining. The word is incorrectly used. An opinion was expressed for debate, an act that I wholly support and encourage. Opinions are welcome. Please don't hesitate to offer them, especially a criticism designed to help better the play. I support this. I am glad Sammael spoke up.

I also want to say that this IS the place for concerns, opinions, and criticisms. Where else would that place be? It is here, in the group. Just remember to treat each other with respect, especially when supplying criticisms.

In any regard the plot should be one that everyones wants to play, not just a few of us. You should absolutly make a plot @Sammael9216 Then we can vote on which one we like the most. Anyone can if they want too, or add on to a plot idea we already have in mind. This is a group for a reason ^^
If I came up with a plot I would need to know how people liked to Role Play. For example, I personally like a RP where the character starts out from scratch. They begin with almost nothing, even their basic skills are novices at best. As they progress they become stronger, they find wealth and loot, and they continually grow and strengthen themselves. Eventually by the end when they reach their goal, when they have finally acquired the strength to obtain that which they fought so hard for... they die.

I hate RPs when everyone starts out as a badass with no room to grow. I also despise the cliche good vs evil plot that people come up with, where everyone tags along on a journey and share the same goal. Why can't a group function together without sharing the same goal?

My idea about the maze was simple. No one could reach the center of this amazing construct, and so rumors abound spread about what lies in the center? Maybe it was treasure, limitless knowledge, or perhaps colonel Sander's famous chicken recipe. The point is the reason for being there could be anything and allowed for the group to work together, despite what their motives for being there was.

Last edited by a moderator:
If I came up with a plot I would need to know how people liked to Role Play. For example, I personally like a RP where the character starts out from scratch. They begin with almost nothing, even their basic skills are novices at best. As they progress they become stronger, they find wealth and loot, and they continually grow and strengthen themselves. Eventually by the end when they reach their goal, when they have finally acquired the strength to obtain that which they fought so hard for... they die.

I hate RPs when everyone starts out as a badass with no room to grow. I also despise the cliche good vs evil plot that people come up with, where everyone tags along on a journey and share the same goal. Why can't a group function together without sharing the same goal?

My idea about the maze was simple. No one could reach the center of this amazing construct, and so rumors abound spread about what lies in the center? Maybe it was treasure, limitless knowledge, or perhaps colonel Sander's famous chicken recipe. The point is the reason for being there could be anything and allowed for the group to work together, despite what their motives for being there was.
I said I would keep quiet but as I have said before, I am a horrible person and a dirty dirty liar. @Sammael9216 brings up a great point regardless of the kind of plot we decide on. when it comes to characters and their strength I have to agree with him for the most part. Characters with no room to grow are not always if ever interesting to read or write about. So I also believe that most of our characters starting from scratch is a good idea. I do however like to emphasize most. If people are interested in characters with skill in fighting in so on, I would ask that they use common sense. Make a character that has flaws, that is not the best at there trade. The group would be interesting as a whole if there are people from multiple walks of life.

AS for the plot, I think the maze should be a necessary part of the rp. Its a very cool concept and dungeon crawling is always cool. So lets add both things together. This is an entire world and the maze the plauge the eternal darkness could all be occuring at the same time. If people want, they could make characters that are already trying to get to the center of the maze while others were sent their by a dream in order to save the world. Like @Sammael9216 said not everyone has to have the same motivation or goal in mind as long as they are on the same path. The maze could be the path that unites everyone together. And after when the maze is concurred, that doesn't even have to be the end of the story but the first big step to a bigger goal.

@Honorific

Glad we're in agrement. Everything you said works for me. If the dream is a means to collect a group of chosen heroes then so be it. And if there happened to be a group of common joes there at the right time, whose to say they couldn't do a better job than the chosen heroes? I for one like the underdogs.

Reactions: Honor-Sama
Now with all of that out of the way I would like to nominate myself for leader of the group/ Future child king of the world.

All In favor should take a moment to reevaluate their personal definition of sarcasm. I tip my hat to you all.

Ill be honest I just enjoy talking about nothing lol

Now with all of that out of the way I would like to nominate myself for leader of the group/ Future child king of the world.

All In favor should take a moment to reevaluate their personal definition of sarcasm. I tip my hat to you all.

Ill be honest I just enjoy talking about nothing lol
No! Me :P

I'm personally not a big fan of a full on zero-to-hero. I feel everyone is competent in at least one thing. Few people are total beginners at everything. Of course, flawless characters are boring, but having a skill doesn't make one flawless. Unless that skill is something absolutely insane. But I trust nobody will do that.

Great now with my Queen and good friend/figurehead I can truly take control of the known realms.

hilarious ._. lol
Don't look so glum! You get all the perks of being the queen of everything like bossing people around and the super comfy throne without actually having to deal with your subjects problems or make any real difference at all. I would be honored to be someones figurehead, it makes life so easy.

Don't look so glum! You get all the perks of being the queen of everything like bossing people around and the super comfy throne without actually having to deal with your subjects problems or make any real difference at all. I would be honored to be someones figurehead, it makes life so easy.
I want people to fear me >:D just kidding, lol.

Alright! Good stuff all around, though perhaps @Desire could be nicer about some things :P

Zero-to-hero isn't a particular favorite of mine. I agree with @Kaykay that people just don't start out that bad, especially if they have that special something that makes them the perfect chosen ones. It doesn't seem like overpowered characters will be something that we'll have to deal with; almost all of us listed that as one of the things that we hate in normal RPs, and it seems like all of us can take criticism like thinking adults. As long as we're vigilant during character creation and keep the communication going, we shouldn't have any power problems.

Also, I'm going to jump on the "nah, dreams aren't my favorite" bandwagon. Mine's a different reason, though; I like to play characters who don't align either way very well. The problem with a dream is that the characters then must be hand picked by a psychic, and there's no reason for that person to pick people of questionable motivation and morals. The whole divine intervention thing forces our characters to be good guys, or throw serious skepticism on the godhood of whatever called them.

Random happenstance (we all happened to be looking for chicken recipes at the same time) doesn't work for me, either. Since it means little for the journey whether or not our characters know what they're going to be facing (the god character that sends them out will, of course, tell them what they need to know... right? Another trope that bothers me xD), why not have the "evil" things be a very real threat, and have our characters respond to a more corporal summons. Their motivation then broadens, and that lets us create more interesting characters.

On an unrelated note, Goblins!

Background info

These goblins come from a world where magic is something of a closed ecosystem for each race. One of the main pillars of the magic system was that more populous creatures had lower magic, as the same share of the world's magic was spread between many of them vs the rare species. IE, there was as much magic among all the humans as among all the dragons, but since there are hundreds of humans for every dragon, the average dragon has hundreds of times the magic of the average human.

They come from the Trayig Desert, the birthplace of life itself. The sand once held immense magical properties, though those have died off over time as the magic dispersed into the species.

Name: Goblins, Gobblers, Sand People, Trayiis
Purpose: Survival
Description:
There are two varieties of goblin, though most people would have no way to know this, since one type of them is nearly never seen.
First, the common goblins that everyone knows and loves. These creatures are three to four feet tall lizard-like people with large snake-like heads and great ears (at least on the males) that can extend up to 1.5 feet.
The only hair on their scaly bodies tends to be around the jawline, though it is not unheard of to find goblins with a full head of hair and some, for the sake of needing distinguishing features to be recognized by other races, style their beards and hair into ornate braided masterpieces.
As far as colors go, most goblins are muted earth colors. A golden sand-like tone is most common, though only because the clan that is colored in such a way is the most populous and most likely to be seen mingling with other sentient species. However, when startled or threatened or in battle, goblin skin takes on startlingly-vivid colors which seems to be unrelated to clan. Purples, blues, reds, greens (very few yellows, though) make goblin battles colorful spectacles to behold.
Goblins can operate either quadruped or bipedal. Their long (3-4 feet) tails provide them excellent balance in bipedal form, though they look a bit awkward with their long feet, raptor-like inner toes, and reverse ankles. These feet give them excellent purchase on loose material (such as sand), though, so they are not often hampered by the environment and can even run across water for short distances.
But those are just the little guys. For every few dozen thousand of them, there's what they like to call "Trayiis Dragons"; not dragons in the literal sense, but huge fearsome creatures full of powerful magicks that can lay as much devastation as their more-proper (and better-known) brethren.
Descriptions of these huge beasts live on in song and a few written historical records, but most who get the wonderful joy of seeing them don't live to confirm the stories. Unlike the smaller of their species, these creatures are expansive: their length can reach 120 feet, and their heads become cavernous maws 20 feet wide when opened. Their limbs are vestigial, and they move instead by writhing their huge masses through the ground like snakes. Their powers, due to the scarcity of sightings, aren't well-known, though songs tell of swallowing caravans whole, battering walls down with their huge skulls, and popping out of the ground with seismic force that knocks down whole armies.
Due to the fact that they're rarely seen even when one visits a goblin clan, they are suspected (correctly) to live underground in vast networks of tunnels that they've burrowed.

Magic:
Such a division between the strong and the common goblins is due to an interesting system that they've been practicing for centuries. The size and magical capabilities of the larger goblins make no sense otherwise: how can a species with hundreds of thousands of individuals still have such concentrated magic? The answer lies in their particular handling of death.
Goblins, for as long as they can remember, have had a ceremony for the dead. It's very simple, though most other cultures find it repugnant. Namely, they eat their dead. Well, not the population at large; they feed their recently deceased to their large brethren.
This has led to a large binary in magical power. Common goblins have next to no magic (due to the magic not re-entering the system to be passed on to the newborn young) and the goblin dragons have all the magic of 36,000 living things.
This has led to some problems for common goblins. They have to live in places with large saturations of life-giving magic, or else they perish. Their bodies don't hold enough magic for them to survive alone. They can survive even in inhospitable areas if they have enough living things to eat or a heavily-magical being that they can use to sustain themselves.
Before dying, a common goblin will eat as many magical/living things as possible, which eventually led to them being called "gobblers", which in turn became "goblins". It does this so that its body may be as saturated with magic as possible for when it is integrated into a goblin dragon. Though they only manage to absorb a very small amount of the magic of things that they eat, common goblins can extend their lives by doing this, and eventually (having consumed enough) may be able to attain a self-sustainable magical balance. There's no recorded history of such a thing happening.
The closest thing to magic that common goblins have is a very basic emotion-based telepathy. Common goblins will know if another goblin is nearby, or if a nearby goblin is frightened, in pain, or dead. This makes goblins especially difficult pests to eradicate, since no one wants to deal with the swarms of goblins that will come to claim the dead body (and possibly get revenge).

Racial Benefits:
Common goblins are affected by magic a little less than creatures with normal magic balance. They are immune to many spells, untargetable for most homing spells (which home on the magical signature of the target), and invisible to magical sight (which makes them slightly difficult to see for magical races, which often subconsciously see in the magic realm).
Common goblins are generally left alone. Killing a goblin is more trouble than it's worth, goblins are somewhat difficult to see for magically-attuned people, and they're a bit dangerous when cornered.
Common goblins are sneaky. They tend to be difficult to detect with situational awareness (you'll never "feel" them watching you, or "feel" them sneaking up on you (both premonitions provided by subconscious magical sense). Their large feet also make their walking quiet, and their short stature makes them easy to overlook.
As a race, goblins get along very well with the classical "evil" races. Whether this is due to some long-past evil alignment the goblins held, their mild telepathy, or just the fact that it's better to be nice to them than not, no one can quite remember. It's not unusual to see goblins riding semi-sentient "evil" races as mounts or conversing casually with orcs.
Common goblins are very good in mounted combat (atop their worg steads, most commonly).
Goblins have enhanced senses due to their very large ears and eyes.

Racial Demerits:
Common goblins will die if there is no magical field around them to sustain them. No goblins live on the Black Mountains, they generally can't live alone (unless the area has large potential magic or a great deal of forestation), and yet at the same time they're not great to have around. Living alone with a goblin has been shown to seriously decrease life expectancy in non-planar-connected people (and this is without taking into account that the goblin will try to eat whatever is nearby if it runs out of magic).
Common goblins cannot use magic.
Goblins have reduced senses of touch.
Goblins almost lack the ability to thermoregulate. They are technically cold-blooded creatures, though in a large enough magical field goblins innately stabilize their body heat with that magic. A goblin in extreme cold/heat will die of magical starvation much faster than one in a normal environment.
Common goblins are not particularly strong on their own, due to their small stature and relatively-weak body strength.

Life expectancy:
Common: 20 years in a goblin clan, vastly-varying lengths among other species (goblins attached to powerful sorcerers tend to live until their master dies).
Dragon: 500-1200 years, depending on the size of the attending goblin clan.

History:
Goblins have been a part of the ecology of Neyav as long as anyone can remember. The oldest dragons can recall seeing goblins in their youth, and might, if their memories still serve them well at this point, recall the horrible wars that constantly waged over the then-potent Sands as goblin kind fought to maintain their control over their sacred lands. But that was indeed very long ago, and since then much of the world has changed. No longer are crusades to the Sands thought of, no longer do people remember the strange wyrm-like monstrosities that came out of the war. But all the same, the goblins have been left mostly to their own devices, to roam the Sands and hunt and mind their own business.
Once trading evolved from the primitive survivalist cultures of the dominant races, goblins once more came to the public conscience. Slowly they filtered into society, claiming their places as thieves, guides, familiars, glassblowers, and all sorts of other positions. Though some would see them as pests or as an inferior race to subjugate as slaves, the sheer numbers of the goblins who steadily infiltrated their cities and towns at least made action on these opinions inadvisable.

Culture:
Goblins have the highest respect for magic. For them, there's no more-worthy calling in life than to serve a great magical being well, eat it upon its death, and return to their home clan to integrate this magic into their own kind.
The central unit of a goblin clan is a goblin dragon. In the case that a common goblin strays far from its home, though, any other very-powerful magical being will do. Such masters provide them the magic they need to survive and protection from what might otherwise easily kill them. In return, a goblin will do its best to assist this great being: they are skilled hunters, quiet assassins, magic-resistant body guards.
Goblin clans often integrate mount animals into their community. They have a special affinity for worg, it would seem; it is not unusual to find a large pack of these over-sized ferocious wolves mingling symbiotically with a goblin clan.

As familiars:
Having a goblin familiar is a great testament to the power of a mage. Though not as exotic as most familiars (goblins themselves are common, certainly more-so than pixies, phoenixes, and miniature dragons), they are well-known in magic circles as the most-picky. Only very strong wizards have access to enough magic to enamor and feed a goblin.
Goblins also make very competent familiars: though not a magical race themselves (unlike almost all other types of familiar), their magic resistance makes them survive the ordeals that would kill most other non-magical familiar-wannabes. Combined with their intelligence, fierce loyalty, long lifespans around mages, and all-around handiness, they are some of the most enviable creatures a mage can claim (right under miniature dragons, because hey, dragons).
Of course, there is the little bothersome fact that they will try to eat you when you die, but this too is a great honor (though most don't appreciate it). Understand that if you take a goblin familiar, your family and friends will not have anything more than sucked-dry crushed-up bones to bury.

Reactions: Kaykay
yes, compail was the wrong word. Was extremely tired and knew one thing or another was poorly placed.

Kiddo already said what I have been thinking.

There should be less "it should be that way" and more trust towards Tue others here. All of us noted a fair ammount of experience and this is enough reason to trust on smaller details like the skill level.

I have a completly useless character in mind, not even able to carry a sword And still if she is choosen it also needs to have a reason, a purpose she is useful for later on.
I was actually not even sure if we really need a cs as everybody seemed to know how to do that and neither seemed to want to venture into one that demands skill stats.

I often believe that good imagination behind writing is the key to solving those small things that everybody mentioned. So far I am not a fan of being dictated where my character is supposed to originate from or how strong/weak they got to be.

Flaws make for a character with developement, even if it is the most skilled but has psychological problems that heavily affect them.
I think all of us understand and know this, if I know it with one year active role-playing on iwaku, three years ago in guild wars 2 and the medieval ones of the warrior princess in my early childhood, then I believe I can assume that all of you know this as well, seeing how most of you have been doing in the recent years a lot more than I have.

I am always reading between the lines ans I would like to ask everybody to show more trust and confidence into the people here.

And if we do see one go overboard we could always just kindly mention our own opinion and inquire on the thought behind it.

• Thank You
Reactions: Honor-Sama
Status
Not open for further replies.