Seeking Dedicated Players

Status
Not open for further replies.
Going to update blog-list tomorrow morning before I leave for work.

Updated the list with Garth's Nation, I feel that I forgot one though o_O

I would suggest that we go with at least 5, but less than 9 nations.

Concerning Nations: The number of them depends. Too many locations, at least as starting points, makes it too difficult to populate. I think it'd be of more benifit to keep note of the ones that aren't selected for possible addition later on. To progress to.
Has anyone been thinking ahead to plot? Reading these ideas and deciding where and who they want to use? I know I have.

And while we're thinking, how did we want to handle character sheets with the group? I, commonly use a very basic sheet:
Name
Apperance
Personality
Abilities / Talents
History

Seeing as how we haven't had any more recent submissions, and I haven't gotten a lot of feed back on people intending to post except for one other, I'm thinking we shold wrap up this part today, and lets get characters ready and start to play. I'll fill in whatever needs to be filled in as we go.

Plotline:
In the ancient days of the infancy of man, when the world was covered with forest. The days before the elves came to this world, and the dwarves had yet to separate themselves from the rock, when the mountains were still sharp and tall and new, and the oceans deep and pure existed Zarathushtra and the Shoka'la'dem. Words lost to the old tongue, known to none but the wisest and most learned of the sages, believed by those great and worthy minds to be nothing more than ancient creation myth born by ignorance in the infancy of the world, for nothing has been seen or heard of Zarathushtra or her children in many years.

Until now.

Deep in the forest of Islidir, in the most ancient parts of the world, the Varg stir. A race of men, twisted and warped by dark magic, possessed by a demonic spirit and an unquenchable thirst for blood. So complete and utter is their taint by the darkness of that ancient forest that they cannot dwell within the bright of the sun, but can be as one with the shadow. Amongst them, sorcerers of an ancient, dark magic who are dedicated to the return of the endless night, the Shoka'la'dem.

An unknown prophetess has issued a call in the form of dreams to those who would have the power, the strength to stand up against this rising tide. To each is made a promise, that without action this will be the last age of the light. To the great temple of Dal'Shar they are to go. To the ancient and most holy of temples dedicated to Tyr – the sightless.

I'll flesh this out a little more, just wanted to get an idea out to you guys so you can give input.

Ah, I don't plan to submit a kingdom. As far as city creation and such go, I'm not too good with high fantasy.

Anyway I like that CS, it works for me.

The plot idea is basically curb out ancient evil force, right? Just making sure I read it right.

Concerning Nations: The number of them depends. Too many locations, at least as starting points, makes it too difficult to populate. I think it'd be of more benifit to keep note of the ones that aren't selected for possible addition later on. To progress to.
Has anyone been thinking ahead to plot? Reading these ideas and deciding where and who they want to use? I know I have.

And while we're thinking, how did we want to handle character sheets with the group? I, commonly use a very basic sheet:
Name
Apperance
Personality
Abilities / Talents
History

Seeing as how we haven't had any more recent submissions, and I haven't gotten a lot of feed back on people intending to post except for one other, I'm thinking we shold wrap up this part today, and lets get characters ready and start to play. I'll fill in whatever needs to be filled in as we go.

Plotline:
In the ancient days of the infancy of man, when the world was covered with forest. The days before the elves came to this world, and the dwarves had yet to separate themselves from the rock, when the mountains were still sharp and tall and new, and the oceans deep and pure existed Zarathushtra and the Shoka'la'dem. Words lost to the old tongue, known to none but the wisest and most learned of the sages, believed by those great and worthy minds to be nothing more than ancient creation myth born by ignorance in the infancy of the world, for nothing has been seen or heard of Zarathushtra or her children in many years.

Until now.

Deep in the forest of Islidir, in the most ancient parts of the world, the Varg stir. A race of men, twisted and warped by dark magic, possessed by a demonic spirit and an unquenchable thirst for blood. So complete and utter is their taint by the darkness of that ancient forest that they cannot dwell within the bright of the sun, but can be as one with the shadow. Amongst them, sorcerers of an ancient, dark magic who are dedicated to the return of the endless night, the Shoka'la'dem.

An unknown prophetess has issued a call in the form of dreams to those who would have the power, the strength to stand up against this rising tide. To each is made a promise, that without action this will be the last age of the light. To the great temple of Dal'Shar they are to go. To the ancient and most holy of temples dedicated to Tyr – the sightless.

I'll flesh this out a little more, just wanted to get an idea out to you guys so you can give input.
I feel tempted to have my personal character go into the opposite direction of the temple, just to see what happens :D

@Elan Tedronai

Not trying to be a shit here but I have a few issues regarding your plot. So everyone participating are being sent warning through their dreams about an enemy they probably would have no knowledge of, or at the very least considered campfire stories? Why would anyone consider it more than simply dreams and dismiss it as such? It would be like all of us having a dream about some ancient religious deity that no one cares about anymore. It is in my personal opinion to be a bit cheesy man.

@Elan Tedronai

Not trying to be a shit here but I have a few issues regarding your plot. So everyone participating are being sent warning through their dreams about an enemy they probably would have no knowledge of, or at the very least considered campfire stories? Why would anyone consider it more than simply dreams and dismiss it as such? It would be like all of us having a dream about some ancient religious deity that no one cares about anymore. It is in my personal opinion to be a bit cheesy man.
From what I gather it can be revised o.o I'm sure suggestions are always welcome(: I'd be curious to hear other people's ideas as well.

@Elan Tedronai

actually yes and no.

It is not as bad as you think.

Alright. My flip flops and I are off to work yet again. I will finish my very long submission I have planned tonight when I get home.

I do believe that it was introduced as a basic concept, not a finished product.

As to answer your direct concern, about whether or not it will be believed, that is up to you. You are your characters author, and you can choose whether the character believes it or not. Your choice. There is nothing saying that all characters must buy into it, or that they must be motivated. However, the quality of the dream itself could impart a certain level of belief. History is filled with people who take dreams seriously because of an belief in the perceived realism of it. YOUR call, not mine. Perhaps it simply FELT more real than others. Your call. I wont demand that you write that into your character.

Lets say that we shared the same dream: Zeus called us to Athens. You dismiss it as rubbish, believing Zeus to be nonexistant and therefore your dream a product of too much beer the ngiht before. Whose is to say that I would believe the same thing? Maybe I am somewhat more intune to spiritual things than most, or have a broader basis of belief... That's dependent on the character.

The thing about motivations are they are personal. I cannot come up with a single motivating force that someone couldn't find fault with. Money? Perhaps the character is rich, or doesn't care of wealth? Revenge, maybe they don't seek it. I'm saying, in the write up, that the dreams are the motivation by which a group will be gathered. You can be part of that group, by creating a character who would be intune to that motivation, or you can opt out of it (and create a character who wouldn't care). Your call.

As to answer your direct concern, about whether or not it will be believed, that is up to you. You are your characters author, and you can choose whether the character believes it or not. Your choice. There is nothing saying that all characters must buy into it, or that they must be motivated. However, the quality of the dream itself could impart a certain level of belief. History is filled with people who take dreams seriously because of an belief in the perceived realism of it. YOUR call, not mine. Perhaps it simply FELT more real than others. Your call. I wont demand that you write that into your character.

Lets say that we shared the same dream: Zeus called us to Athens. You dismiss it as rubbish, believing Zeus to be nonexistant and therefore your dream a product of too much beer the ngiht before. Whose is to say that I would believe the same thing? Maybe I am somewhat more intune to spiritual things than most, or have a broader basis of belief... That's dependent on the character.

The thing about motivations are they are personal. I cannot come up with a single motivating force that someone couldn't find fault with. Money? Perhaps the character is rich, or doesn't care of wealth? Revenge, maybe they don't seek it. I'm saying, in the write up, that the dreams are the motivation by which a group will be gathered. You can be part of that group, by creating a character who would be intune to that motivation, or you can opt out of it (and create a character who wouldn't care). Your call.

Opting out as a character with disbelief in his/her dream would be pointless considering, the hole idea is about bringing a group together. What I'm saying is dreams are a poor force of motivation, for me at least and that there are better ways of doing it. Besides the fact that a small group saving the world idea has been milked so much I'm just about sick of it to be honest. I'm not trying to push your buttons so don't take any of this personally.

Me myself, I always enjoy stories of heroes from all walks of life chosen to go on an epic quest against evil. Yet as you say, a dream can easily be dismissed. Why would a grizzled war veteran who loves to get drunk and visit brothels when not fighting for his life answer such a mysterious call without a god damn good reason. Why would an Aegis Knight leave the one he has been sworn to protect or a Zarcadian Mercenary travel hundreds of miles on the words whispered to him as he slept. Not many would I am afraid unless the dangers they whispered about as children were a very real threat.

With the coming of Shoka'la'dem rises beings of power who call upon ancient and evil magic the likes no one has seen. With them the first sign of the return to darkness, a plague the larger then any other before it is sweeping over the land. The children, the elderly, the cripple are all dying. Vomiting blood and collapsing in the streets, their life oozing into the dirt. With rumors popping up all the time of sightings of beasts never before seen. Of creatures of evil that stalk the shadows. Of entire citys being abandomed, deserted, spirited away without a trace. When the world itself is ending around you and you awake with a start in the middle of the night. A dream calling you to a far off temple where you and only you might just have a chance to stop the end of times.

Why wouldn't you go?

Opting out as a character with disbelief in his/her dream would be pointless considering, the hole idea is about bringing a group together. What I'm saying is dreams are a poor force of motivation, for me at least and that there are better ways of doing it. Besides the fact that a small group saving the world idea has been milked so much I'm just about sick of it to be honest. I'm not trying to push your buttons so don't take any of this personally.
There are workarounds, they are to met the prophet as well if I got it right, what if he tells them "fetch the others"? then it just needs a single one to get them.

My own character would certainly not follow the call. Why I will not tell.

In any regard the plot should be one that everyones wants to play, not just a few of us. You should absolutly make a plot @Sammael9216 Then we can vote on which one we like the most. Anyone can if they want too, or add on to a plot idea we already have in mind. This is a group for a reason ^^

• Thank You
Reactions: 1 person
There are workarounds, they are to met the prophet as well if I got it right, what if he tells them "fetch the others"? then it just needs a single one to get them.

My own character would certainly not follow the call. Why I will not tell.
Honorifc has it right. The world has to already be in the shitter before I would throw my life away on a dream no matter how vivid or how many times I had it.

Reactions: Honor-Sama
Sammael: I agree, and I understand what you are saying. But what I'm saying is, following the call, being part of the meeting, belief in the dream isn't important. It's a piece, a small one, of the larger puzzle. You've zoned in on the dream, which is but a summons. Heed it or not. Your decision.

As Desire put it, there are work arounds. As Honorriffic put it, there are things that can happen, in play, to make it more viable. I gave the beginning. ONLY the beginning.

This is what I wanted when I brought up the group. This conversation right here. We took an ok idea, with a weakness, and we can make it better. I want us to get moving, so we don't lose interest. I want us to keep talking. To keep working things out as we go. I want this kind of conversation, right here.

My feelings aren't hurt. I don't take this personally.

I want you to make a character... and decide.. will they follow, or not?

If not, then what do they do?

If so, then come see what happens. We can work both angles at the same time.

FOR my character, and yes, I've already written him up and solo'ed out his opening. The dream happens more than once. It's a recurring thing that he's plagued with every night. He sees the woman in his sleep, be it nap or nightly slumber... this causes some curosity, so he goes just to try to make the damn thing stop.

But that's mine. What about yours? Will it be immediate that he/she finds the reason, or will it take some time? Does the dream happen and the next day they come across something unexplained.. or portent. Do they see the prophetess in a pool or water, hear her voice in the wind, hear others talking about having had the same dream... or see an evil creature they cannot explain? Just a few ideas..

Last edited by a moderator:
  • Bucket of Rainbows
Reactions: 1 person
Status
Not open for further replies.