Rowan High School

He figured she was only calling him to yell at him again.
He looked around and tried to forget about it.
He said down at the tree they first met under and leaned his head back.

She was really getting restless which is out of character for her. She dashed to the stairs and went down. She need peace and calm so she naturally went to her secret spot. As she came nearer, she found him leaning on the tree.

He took a deep breathe, he wasn't even really there.
He was lost in his imagination, that was the only way he seemed to be happy anyway.

"Hey." she greeted him softly. He was startled so she handed him her drawing of him. "I want you to have it. Please keep it." she said as she went to the other side and sat down.

He looked at the drawing, folded it carefully and put it in his inner pocket
"That's awesome, thanks. Why did you draw me?"

"Your back looks great. And it makes me happy." she replied quietly.

He was kind of confused about her reply "my back looks great?"
Was she messing with him?
"What's that supposed to mean? You yelled at me earlier."

"I know. I don't draw something if I don't like it. What's the use right? And I yelled at you coz you touched me and surprised me." she explained.

He shrugged "oh ok. Yeah, sorry about that, it won't happen again." He replied softly.

He looked at the sky and sighed
"I wish I didn't have to come here. School never goes well for me."

"Tell me about it. I only come here to draw. And read in the library. And to escape. It's really peaceful here." she said as she prepared her stuff and started drawing again.

He smiled "Ah ok, that's cool."

He closed his eyes again "I won't bother you."

She started to sketch the sky and added an abstract of her and him lying under the tree. She made it a simple sketch with minimal color. She named it, "Dreams and Reality"

He took his phone out of his pocket and put in one of his headphones as he hummed along to his music quietly.

She started another one. This time it's an abstract with darker colors. She sketched and drawn then she finished. It is about the darkness if her life. Not realizing it, there were tears streaming on her face.

Lost in his music Brendan unconsciously started to sing "What if it's all in one kiss?
That turns all seeds into trees.
The strongest wind into breeze.
Enter all doors without keys.
What if it's all in one kiss..? You're not alone.."

She dropped her brush as she heard him singing. Her painting are now smeared with blotches of tears. She grabbed her pencil and started another drawing. It was a brighter picture. One that she never allowed herself to draw. She named it, "Not Alone"

He kept singing and closed his eyes "don't cry, don't cry little bird. I know that you're scared, and you're hurt. You're gonna wake up, it was just bad a dream.."

She stopped drawing and just listened to him singing.

The song changed and he smiled "well ok, fine, just change it then. I was just getting into it and everything."
He was talking to himself, and it seemed like he was crazy.

He started singing again "my back's against the wall, my dreams are on the floor.. I'm out of luck. Everything seems hard, I'm drifting further away. It would be so easy, starting to believe in giving up.. Something's gotta change. I know I gotta keep the faith.."

She slipped him her drawing as she continue to listen to him.

"What hurts the most
Was being so close
And having so much to say
And watching you walk away
And never knowing
What could have been
And not seeing that loving you
Is what I was tryin' to do" she sang in a low voice.