Rescuing the Young(Katherun&Halie)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Griffin walked silently the rest of the day. He figured that X needed the time. He had lost something today. Something important to the way he defined mphimself. He did his best to see that the demon eat in the middle of the day. He pushed himself to go until it started to get to dark to see. Only than did he find a place off the road for them to camp. His face was etched with pain although he didn't complain. He sat down and dug out a fish for both of them. He held X's put to him.

X was just as quiet as Griffin, up until the man tried getting him to eat lunch- at which point he'd kicked a fit about not being hungry, and how he didn't need to be babied. Though hunger was evident, the demon refused to eat- a sort of self punishment. Come nightfall, when Griffin stopped to rest, X collapsed a few yards off from where he'd decided to camp for the night. X was too far away to notice the food being handed to him- and it went untouched.

X may have thought that he hadn't notice him not eat the fish. But he did. It saddened Griffin that the demon wanted to punish himself. But he wasn't going to force X. After he eat Griffin set out the blanket for X. He doubted that the demon would use it but it was available. Then hevwrapped his wings around himself for warm and closed his eyes. Soon he had drifted off.

X fell asleep where he lay, with his arms and legs splayed out awkwardly across the ground, as if he were dead.As time passed, he started to stir- unable to sleep well through a recurring nightmare that'd haunted him since he was a child. The demon jerked awake in the middle of the night, cold and seemingly alone because he couldn't see where Griffin was at first. When he found him, X made his way towards the man, and curled up under the blanket that'd been laid out for him. He took a little while to fall asleep, but when he did, he stayed that way- even as he inched closer towards Griffin in an unconscious attempt to get warm.

Griffin was exhausted so his night started off good. He fell into a deep dreamless sleep. He didn't stir when X moved. Although once the demon was close enough he dropped a wing over X. But before the sun rose over the horizon Griffin began tossing and turning. He mumbled and whimpered in his sleep.

X woke up to the sound of Griffin's whining, and he was appalled by the fact that he'd woke up beside the man, covered in the blanket with the other's wing wrapped around him. "Shit," He cursed under his breath, kicking himself away from Griffin. He didn't remember a thing from last night; didn't remember waking up and moving to where he was. When he saw the man shaking, the demon felt a twinge of sympathy for him, and he urged Griffin awake. "Wake up! You're dreaming!"

"No!" Griffin shouted as he jolted awake. He sat up with a jerk. His eyes wide with fear. He searched the area around him as if expecting to be attacked. Once he assured himself that there was no threat. He took a deep breath. He ran his fingers through his hair. Without a word of explanation he dug the fish out of his bag again and held it out to X. "Can you fight?"

X jumped and clutched at his chest with one hand and shielded his face with the other, ducking away from Griffin in the even he'd swing at him. While X wanted to understand what kind of dream Griffin had that made him wake up so terribly, he had a relatively good idea. He didn't argue or pester the man to find out more about what'd happened, and he took the fish without argument. "Can I, can I fight?" He asked himself. "Of course I can!" Truth be told, he didn't really know if he'd be able to. As much as he always wanted to fight and break free, there'd always been something that kept him from it. He always blacked out before he'd had the chance- coming back around in pain with no recollection of what'd happened. Slowly, hesitantly, he added, "I-I think."

Griffin nodded. He had figured as much. He took an apple out of his bag. He munched on it thoughtfully. He doubted X could fight. Which could be a problem. They were going to have to fight at some point. They were lucky to have made it as far as they had as long as they had without encountering bandits. Of course they didn't exactly look like the had anything worth stealing. He dug to the bottom of the bag and took out a knife. He laid it on the ground near the demon. "We're going go need food soon. Can you hunt?"

X started to eat what he'd been given. It didn't take hin long to finish what he had, though he'd had trouble finishing it entirely. Still, he ate til his stomach was distended and he'd half made himself sick eating as much as he did. He didn't dare let anything go to waste, in the event Griffin decided not to feed him. X's eyes narrowed as he stared at the knife on the ground, and he looked back up at Griffin. "...I don't know how much you know about me," He said, in reference to the fact he'd known his name prior to buying him, "but I've been... well. I've been in chains almost all my life." He said slowly, almost aggravated. "And if you think for a minute that anyone who previously owned me was stupid enough to let me have a knife to learn how to hunt, you're an idiot."

"Believe it or not some people use their slaves for hunting." Griffin told the demon bluntly. "it was an honest question. I had to know. Appearently I am going to have to start with the basics. That in front of you is a knife. It's for killing things." he explained. "We're going to go hunting. Try not to stab me or yourself." he finished his apple. He stood to his feet. He headed into the nearby woods. "We will find rabbit, raccoon, squirrels, deer and if we're lucky a boar. The bigger the meat the better."

X looked away, pursing his lips in annoyance. "I know what a knife is, I'm not that helpless." He said through gritted teeth, before picking up the weapon and rising to his feet to follow Griffin. "The bigger the game, the more work in preparing it." X corrected. "And the more time lost in finding your kid. So no big game."

Griffin raised his eyebrows in surprise. He hadn't expected X to protest the amount of time larger game took to prepare. He hadn't expected the demon to care at all. "The bigger the game the less we have to hunt." He countered. "The nearest village is two days travel and not on the path I believe the poachers will take. The nearest stream us three days. I think it is near the path the poachers plan to take."

As much as X didn't want to admit it, he did care. Sam's whole situation bothered him immensely and the part of him that knew what it was like to be scared and alone couldn't stand the thoughts running rampant in his head. The demon sighed in unwilling acceptance. "I hope you don't expect me to go running after deer like an idiot with only a knife."

Griffin laughed. "No X I dont expect you to chase a deer with only a knife. I'm trying to teach you to hunt not get you killed. If we find a deer or a boar I'll take care of it. I want you to practice hunting smaller game. Think you can catch yourself a bunny?"

The demon looked away, slightly red faced from having been laughed at. He didn't argue or say anything, but his grip on the hilt of the knife tightened. "Yeah." He answered curtly, despite being unsure how he'd do it. He didn't want to be told what to do, but he knew he needed help that he was too stubborn to accept.

"Come on let's see what we can find. Griffin wasn't sure how to handle the situation. X was clearly going to need help. But he didn't know if he should after it before or after X asked. The demon was stubborn he might not ask anytime soon. But he would take offence at being given instructions. It was a lose lose situation for Griffin. So he handle it the way he would if he was teaching Sam. "Move quiet and slowly. Trap the rabbit if you can't catch it."

X was flustered by the whole ordeal- caught between wanting to get aggravated and defend himself in that he wasn't a child, and knowing to be quiet, so as not to scare off any animals. Yet he couldn't help but point out the fact that he could neither see or hear anything, and that he was convinced there weren't any rabbits around. Even if there were, he didn't understand how he was supposed to catch it or what he was supposed to use to trap it. "There's nothing here." He said coldly.

"X we have been looking all of ten minutes. If you don't see signs of rabbits than look for other signs of game. I don't care what you find. I promise these woods aren't empty. There are plenty of things that we can kill." He pointed to aset of deer tracks. "I'm going to follow those. You can either silently come with me or you can stay her and look for something smaller."

His face burned bright red out of a mixture of embarrassment and anger. He wanted to yell but he knew it'd be stupid to do so, and he'd get yelled at right back. His pride was hurt- hurt because he felt useless and unable to do something that should've come entirely natural to him. The demon stared long and hard at where Griffin had pointed out the tracks, and he scowled in aggravation when he couldn't find the tracks at all. "G-go. Just go." The demon jumped at the chance to be left by himself for a bit. "I'll get something, alright?" He was snippy with the man.

Status
Not open for further replies.