Rescuing the Young(Katherun&Halie)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Griffin shrugged. "I haven't planned this out completely. I will most likely be injured. Theres only one of me and several of them. If I'm captured or killed... Run. Run as far and as fast as you can X. I have found a home for my son. I think he'll be safe there. If you can get him there I would be grateful."

X sighed and looked away, keeping his gaze trained on the ground. He wasn't ready. The very idea of risking his own life for someone else's child repulsed him in a way. But at the same time, when he thought about how he'd felt as a child, scared and alone and begging for anyone to help him, it just seemed the right thing to do. "What's his name?" He asked out of nowhere.

"Sam." Griffin answered softly. "His name is Samuel but I call him Sam." He continued down the road ignoring the pain in his leg. He wanted to cover as many miles as he could before dark. He needed to go as far as he could. His pain was nothing compared to what his son would experience if Zahir got his hands on him. He was determined to not let that happen. No matter what he had to do.

"Sam..." X repeated in a hushed whisper under his breath, as if making a mental note of it. He knew a girl named Sam once. He didn't know what'd become of her though. She could've been dead for all he knew. A lot of people he knew were dead, or would be better off if they were. The demon's curiosity died down considerably after that. Though he had plenty of unanswered questions, his curiosity wasn't eating at him as much as it was earlier. Like Griffin, he was wearing down. His stomach was full, he'd walked more in one day than he'd moved around in months, and his muscles were tired. He needed to rest badly. "It's getting dark." He pointed out. His breathing came in short, heavy gasps, and one look at him would prove how exhausted he was.

"You should have said I you needed to stop." Griffin scolded X softly. He understood why the demsn hadn't thought to say anything. But he would have to learn to speak up. They would have a better chance of surviving if they would atleast become friends. Honestly he thought they could both use a friend. Neither of them had anyone. There was no reason they couldn't be there for each other. He found a nice flat spot off the road and de used to camp there. He breathed a such of reluef as he sat down.

X's eyes narrowed. "I don't need to stop." He corrected him. It was a blatant lie, but he didn't want to be underestimated. This was nothing, when he compared it to previous sufferings he'd endured. "I'm fine." Still, he sat down not far from the man and let out a similar, relieved sigh. He stretched out across the ground as far ass he could- spreading his arms and legs in the shape of his name. He couldn't remember the last time he could stretch out comfortably without his back digging painfully into the bars of a cage, or with chains rattling in disapproval. It felt better than he could put into words being able to comfortably lay down however he wanted. Shortly after, the demon fell asleep. He'd curled into a ball to preserve as much heat as he could, in an attempt to stay warm laying on the wet ground. His ill fitting clothes rode up on his thin, malnourished frame when he moved, and the scars on his back became partially visible for the first time.

Griffin sighed St the sight of X all curled up. He was tempted to lay next to him to help him stay warm but he doubted the demon would appreciate him in hus space. So he did the next best thing. He dug into his pack and took out his blanket. He gently tucket it around X. Then he returned to his spot. He wrappedchis wings around himself and closed his eyes.before long he had fallen into a restless sleep.

X didn't stir much throughout the night. He'd started to shift uncomfortably before Griffin covered him with the blanket, but the simple and kind act put the sleeping demon at ease and whatever nightmare he was having didn't seem so bad afterwards. He slept relatively well throughout the rest of the night. Come morning, he was well rested, however cold and disoriented. The blanket Griffin covered him in was sopping wet with the morning dew, as were his clothes. He didn't understand where the blanket had come form, nor did he recognize where he was. "M-m-" He stopped himself before he said the word master. Griffin had freed him. "Griffin?"

Griffin jerked awake. His eyes wide and his breathing heavy. He looked around wildly. X had pulled him out of a fairly bad nightmare. Which was a good thing but he needed a minute to reconnect with reality. He relaxed slightly when he saw the demon. "Morning X. Ready for some breakfast?" He asked shakily. He was trying to act normal. He knew that the demon wouldn't ask him what was wrong. Which was a relief he didn't want to talk about it.

X flinched at first, seeing the other wake up so violently. Jerking up, looking around with fear in his eyes. He fully expected the man to yell at him for waking him up, and he shielded his face with his arms in preparation for any hands flying at him. But when asked about breakfast, the demon was genuinely surprised. "... Breakfast?" He was unfamiliar with the concept. When it came to meals, food didn't come often enough for him to have any concept of breakfast, lunch, or dinner. And he was leery of it.

Griffin dug into his pack. He took out more cured meat. He held it out to X. "We're going to need the energy." He explained. He understood X's hesitation. He would wait patiently while the demon decided whether or not to come closer. He probably scared the poor guy with the way he woke up.

The demon lowered his hands, and took the cured meat from Griffin without hesitation. While a part of him wondered just how much food the man carried with him, another part of him didn't care. It didn't matter. X peeled the wet blanket off himself before eating his food, and when all was finished, he picked it up from the ground and held it out to Griffin. "Did you give me this last night?"

Griffin ate another apple. He had filled his pack before leaving town. He had enough for another day may e two. Bug he had a few ideas on how go keep them in food. He was a good hunter. Fruits, nuts, and berries would be easy to acquire. Meat would be harder but not impossible. "Yes I gave you the blanket. You seemed cold last night."

The demon handed the blanket back to Griffin to put away. He Didn't thank the man for it; he couldn't understand why he'd given it to him in the first place. When nobody else had ever cared if he was cold, it was hard for X to accept or understand why Griffin did. "Oh." Was all the reply he'd received. "How long will it take to get where we're going?" He asked, standing up in preparation to begin walking again.

Griffin carefully folded the blanket as small as he could before putting it into his pack. He stood to his feet and headed back to he road. "At least a day. Probably two. I know that they are ahead of us and what their general direction is." He explained. "It depends on how fast we can travel compared to his fast they can travel. The good thing is we are not burdened down with several unwilling slaves."

X sighed and held back the urge to cringe. He detested how casually slavery was spoken of. He understood what Griffin meant, but he didn't like it. "They'll move faster than you think." X warned, all too familiar with how transport worked. There were deadlines that needed met. Traders didn't fool around. "Let's go."

Griffin nodded. He had no doubt about that. He could only guess at their speed. But X was right they had been moving experts for years so that probably slow them down as much as he hoped. He headed to down the road. He tried to keep his pace slow enough that X would have no problem keeping up. As much as he wanted to hurry he had to keep his companions limitations in mind. It would do him no good to catch the poschers if X was too exhausted to do anything.

X stopped to allow Griffin to lead the way, and he took his place a few paces behind him. He could've gone a little faster, if he wanted to, but with the way things were for Griffin's leg, taking iy slow would be best for the both of them. The demon didn't dare speak up and tell the other what was on his mind; that he hoped for Sam's sake he wasn't putting up a big fight. He'd seen one too many fellow captives killed in cold blood when they put up too much resistance or got on a trader's nerves. He prayed for both Sam and Griffin's sakes, that the boy knew when to be quiet and keep to himself. They'd been walking for a while when curiosity started to eat at him again. "What is Samuel like?"

"Sam... Is curious about everything. He wants to do everything. He wants to know how and why things work the way they do. Unlike me he is very outgoing. I swear the boy could make friends with anyone." Griffin smiled as he talked. His love for his son was clear. He missed the boy. Sam was the only thing that brought to his life.

A heavy wave of jealously swept over the demon as Griffin spoke about his son. He could hear the love and adoration in his voice, and he grew jealous of the child. Jealous for having someone who held him so close; someone who'd risk his life to save him. With that jealousy clouding his judgment, he spoke out of line. "He'll be lucky if they don't kill him first." He spoke through firmly gritted teeth. "He sounds annoying." He didn't mean what he said, but he couldn't help himself.

Status
Not open for further replies.