Playing with Fire

Her head lowered at his compliments, cheeks warming at the assurances that she would be a great mother. It was something she naturally doubted, given all that had happened and all that she had read. Not to mention, there was always the niggling worry about Lauren and Thorin in the back of her mind. While things seemed to have quietened down now, and the people were on board with Sven and his new changes... there was still that worry, that anxiety.

"Thank you." She murmured, almost timidly as she allowed her fingers to brush over the paper of the book she held. "I don't know what's more daunting, raising the child or giving birth to it." She laughed a little, leaning her body back against the loveseat cushions, eyes raising to focus on him again. Watching as he moved to collect his coffee, her head tilted slightly in thought, making an observation she hadn't realised before. However, his next comment about naming the child, should it be a daughter, after her mother surprised her, and Carina was forced to focus on the present.

The smile on her lips grew in strength as the free hand once more came to rest over her bump. "I... I would love that. Maybe... maybe as a second name. Let the child have their first name as their own. I-- I know that probably sounds silly." She shook her head and turned it so she could look towards the window.

"Her name was Alice... I think that could be a nice middle name. S-so long as you agree. We're making these decision together now, and it's only fair you have a say in them to. I-I know you said you'd welcome it, but that was before you heard the name. You never considered what might happen if you hated it." She chuckled, returning her gaze to the back of the canvas, wondering what the outcome would be like in the end.

She brushed her hand over the bump, book now lying closed on her knee before she realised and quickly picked it back up, returning to her original position. "Sorry, I'm really not a very good subject." She apologised, sitting back up once more, "What... ideas did you have?"

The remark about being thankful he wasn't a woman in Carina's particular condition might have been uttered playfully but he had genuinely meant it with his entire heart - the prospect of giving birth horrified him, and he wasn't even the one that would be going through it. He had charged into battles and become King of a fierce, demanding kingdom at just 20 years of age, and yet nothing terrified him more than the idea of merely watching Carina have to give birth.

He was entirely confident that if he were Carina, he wouldn't be able to be relaxed at any point during the pregnancy given the knowledge of what would await him right at the end of it; what would have to occur to bring the baby into the world. It was a miracle and he knew he would consider it so after the birth had happened, but it was that period during it that he was already feeling nervous about.

So he could only commend Carina for keeping herself together enough to sit for a portrait and go about her life because in her position, a mere month away from the birth, he would have been a wreck at the prospect.

"The... birth will... be fine, I'm sure. I-- can't tell you it won't hurt because it-- it will, I think it's obvious that it will-- I, uh... let's not focus on that, it'll only make us both feel more nervous than we really ought to be right now. Let's focus on actually naming the little thing," he smirked, leaning back against the bookcases behind him in order to devote his full attention to the conversation. If he had three weeks ahead of him to devote to the painting, then he didn't need to frantically get the sketches done in their time today - he could take his time with it, pour his heart and soul into it over a kinder time frame.

He sipped at the coffee quietly as he considered the name. Even choosing a middle name was a huge deal in his eyes, something that needed as much consideration as anything else because their child would be stuck with it for their entire lives.

"I like that, it'll suit her. I... I... quite like Ophelia for a girl. It has a nice ring to it, and-- Caius for a boy. But I-- really haven't given it much thought, honestly. I-- always thought I'd name any son I eventually had after Thorin in some way, at least honour him through a middle name, but that doesn't seem appropriate now he's all but disowned me."

As he leaned back against the bookcases, taking a pause from his sketching, Carina decided to lean forward to put the book on the coffee table. Her hand then reached out to him, motioning for him to join her, rather than stand at a distance. "Ophelia Alice Ignis." She mused, putting the names together with a tilt to her head. "I like that... it sounds... strong. I'd want our daughter to be strong." She eventually decided, nodding as if to confirm her words with a small smile.

The smile then faltered at his next comments regarding Thorin, biting lightly at her lower lip. There wasn't much she could say as a result, in regards to his tattered relationship with the former Head Guard. She wished she could give him hope, perhaps encourage him to bend the bridge in which was burned. But Carina knew better than to try. The last she was aware, Thorin was helping with the plan that she and Lauren created. For all she knew, the two were now conspiring together.

How awful it was to think that her up-in-the-air guesses were the actual truth.

"Caius is nice too," she settled on, motioning once more for him to join her as she reached for her own tea, taking a sip before lowering it back onto the coffee table before her. Once he had settled beside her, Carina moved to bring them into a more affectionate position. Something she hadn't yet done before, but had been considering.

She sat up against his side, tentatively pulling the arm of his closest to her over her shoulder. Her legs laid out in front of her across the length of the loveseat, with the blanket still draped over them, and also partially over him. She took his hand, and entwined her fingers between his so they spread out, resting against the bump.

"We have four weeks. We have plenty of time to think of a middle name for a boy, and back-ups if we decide we don't like them when the day arrives." She chuckled, head tipping so it rested against his shoulder, "I'm not worried... at least not about that. We can use these painting sessions as a baby name brainstorming hour too."

Sven didn't hesitate in approaching to sit down beside her once beckoned to do so. It had been customary for him to take a seat beside her in the library over the month or so that had passed, often to sit in a comfortable silence, or engaged in a gentle conversation about anything and everything as they read beside the fireplace. He treasured the moments more than Carina could ever know because, while she must have been aware that he liked her at this point, he doubted she truly know just how much.

He had admitted that he held feelings for her, but he hadn't confessed the love he now had grown to realise existed for her. There was a difference in remarking that he might have feelings of a romantic nature, and declaring that he loved her unequivocally... and for now, he had only ever uttered the former, rather than the latter. And given the fact he hadn't repeated that confession of feelings, Carina could be forgiven for forgetting that the moment had ever occurred - he had hardly made a deal of pursuing her affection, instead backing off and letting everything go unspoken for her benefit.

She had enough on her plate with the progression of her pregnancy - she didn't need to have Sven confess his love for her and have to find a way of first deciphering how she felt and then finding a response for him.

And when he feared a rejection of his feelings, it was just easier not to broach the subject and just... enjoy the uncomplicatedness that encompassed their time together these days.

His feelings had only deepened the more time that passed between them but he had learned to prioritise other matters and ignore the burgeoning love he felt for her... though it was a great deal more difficult to continue to do that when she made the uncharacteristic move to adopt such an affectionate position with him. The hug just minutes before had caught him by surprise but this was something else entirely, the man almost frozen as he allowed her to adjust his arm and then entwine her fingers with his own, her head finally resting against his shoulder. The sweet scent of her shampoo registered easily given the way she was sat up against him, and it was enough to bring him out of the speechlessness that had befallen him.

"I... that sounds good, yeah," he agreed carefully as he felt the heat spreading across his cheeks, thanking the higher beings presumably watching over him that she was facing away and therefore couldn't see the deep crimson that now painted his complexion. He swallowed hard and then exhaled slowly through his lips, as quietly as possible to avoid bringing her attention to the difficulty he was having.

Not that he didn't like the positioning - on the contrary, he loved it more than words could describe. He just didn't think he could admit to that without other confessions of love also spilling from his lips, though he at least was confident he could remark on their position and compliment it without that happening.

"...This is nice. I mean, I... I like this, Carina. The closeness; the-- affection. It feels normal, right? Like, tell me if it's just me but... I feel content with you like this. Perhaps it's just me; I... I've had a large glass of wine at lunch, it might have gone to m-my head. That's my excuse if you feel differently, to save face."

A soft breath out escaped from Carina once they were both comfortable, her body melting back against his side and that sigh was soon chased down by a yawn. Her free hand raised to smother it, eyes squeezing shut before opening once more. The heat that was radiating from him was slightly warmer than usual as he said, but given her body temperature was usually in the cooler side of average, Carina was grateful for it.

"You're... Like a piece of toast... Do you know that?" She mused, legs stretching out underneath the blanket and toes pointing as a result. She then fell back against him, a lazy smile on her lips as her head tipped once more against his chest.

Her lips remained pulled upwards at his comments regarding their positioning and the affection being displayed. Her head pulled away from his shoulder and tilted slightly so she was able to look up at him, "It's... certainly different." She answered, murmuring, studying him. Carina knew he said it felt normal, but she was eager to ensure he meant just that. She didn't ever want to put him in a situation where he felt uncomfortable and wished to be free if it.

"We both know you can handle your alcohol, Sven. Blaming it on one large glass of wine will not help you save face." She teased, head moving to lay back against his shoulder. This time she allowed her eyes to close, lips parting in another silent yawn. "But..." She then continued, slightly more hesitancy than before, "But... I-I do agree with you....about how all this feels... Normal and right and-and..." this time it was her turn to feel her cheeks warm as a result of her admission. "And unlike you I have no excuses for feeing that way. Baby brain? Baby brain, maybe. Oh hell, I don't know!"

Sven had been called plenty of things in his life, whether they were inventive insults or compliments, but never before had he been called a 'piece of toast'. The randomness of the comment caused him to laugh under his breath in amusement, though once again, he couldn't help but thank the gods her position protected his growing blush to be seen, the colour now drifting towards his neck.

It clearly wasn't a flirtatious remark, more humorous than anything else, but he couldn't help but find it adorable - and that only served to remind him that he found Carina to be adorable, the inner reiteration of the feelings he wanted to presently ignore causing him to inwardly groan in annoyance at himself. He knew the feelings existed but dwelling on them would inevitably cause him to accidentally blurt something out and make things, potentially, awkward - and when they had adopted such an affectionate position for the first time, he couldn't jeopardise it by making the small declaration that he loved her with his entire heart, could he?

He breathed out silently once more to calm the more intense feelings that had sprung to the surface, doing so just in time. By the time he had managed to collect himself, she had chosen to peer up studiously at him, returning a smile quickly to avoid any questions if any remnants of a blush remained on his features.

"I... suppose I can't blame the wine, no. And baby brain makes you forget things, doesn't it? Or become distracted. Hardly the best excuse; worse than me trying to blame it on the wine, in fact. I thought you were better at this than I was?" He tutted teasingly as he adjusted his arm to encourage her to rest closer against his chest, allowing himself to lose any residual rigidity and absorb the comfortable, affectionate moment for as long as it would last. He didn't know when it would happen again, after all, so he would just rue the day he didn't make the most of it.

"Let's just accept that we both enjoy this moment without needing to examine just why that is. You can if you wish, but I'm fine just... sitting her, supporting you, resting beside the fireplace. We can analyse it at a later date; I'm happy to just enjoy it right now. Live in the moment like a free spirit--" He paused abruptly, his eyes widening in seeming horror over the words he had chosen to use.

"God, now that's the wine talking. Free spirit, psh. Would anyone describe me as a free fucking spirit? That's-- I can't believe I just said that, I must be drunk."

"Better at what? Coming up with excuses? If that's the case, mister, I don't know what you mean." Carina drawled, mock-serious before she made sure to show him a grin so he knew she was kidding. This easy banter was also... enjoyable. Strange, but enjoyable and welcomed. Carina went still as he began to move, uncertain as to what he was attempting to do and didn't do anything just so he could become comfortable himself. But also because she wasn't sure if he was trying to get out of the position they were in, or simply trying to rearrange himself into a less awkward way.

Once settled, Carina released a small breath she hadn't realised she had been holding in the first place. Taking the repositioning of his arm, Carina did just as he encouraged and settled back against his chest, eyes closing once more as she relaxed into the warmth his body heat provided but also the blanket over her legs.

"And don't joke about Baby Brain. It's a serious condition for sure. Infuriating too, you have no idea. I walk into a room and I forget what I've gone in there for. I'll walk back out and just as I do that, I remember again!" She scoffed, shaking her head at herself.

Her eyes closed once more, body lowering so her head nestled into the crook of space between chest and arm. Her hand once more caught his, and placed it to rest over the swell of her stomach. "I don't want to examine anything too deeply right now," she confessed softly, head nestling into the space she had now found to be so comfortable.

It was true. So confused as she was regarding her emotions towards Sven, that Carina didn't want to ruin the moment they were having by analysing them any more than she needed to.

She laughed softly at his reaction to his own chosen words, patting his hand with one of her own. "Maybe you're getting sympathy baby brain. Confusion and all that," she teased, "You know that's a thing too, right? Sympathy pregnancy symptoms. Luckily it seems as though you've gotten away with it though. Which is just as well, I don't think I'd be able to deal with you whining about your sympathy pains when I'm experiencing the real deal." She then joked, grinning as her free hand rubbed against the side of her belly.

"Let's just hope it's not sympathy symptoms because I really won't cope when it comes to the eventual birth, Carina. I like to think I tolerate pain well, that I'm tough, but we both know I'd be a wreck if I had to endure anything similar to the pain of the birthing process. I... It makes me queasy to think about the pain that must occur. I mean, all that cramping--" He paused and cut himself off when feeling a little light-headed at the thought of the process itself. He had done his research on the matter in order to help Carina to the best of his abilities when the time came to welcome their son or daughter into the world and, though the man wouldn't be allowed anywhere near the Queen during the birth after her nightmares months prior, he had consulted the royal physician for any and as much information he was capable of bestowing to him.

All that to say that Sven was more than aware of the process, in great detail after the dedicated research he had forced himself to conduct. He had never thought he was a squeamish person until he had to read about what a woman went through to give birth, so, though he had done all his research to be of use to Carina when the day came, he wasn't sure just how useful he would be if just reading about it all made him feel queasy.

"...But you'll manage it all fine, I'm sure. As I will. I imagine I'll faint on the day or that you'll end up crushing all the bones in my hand when you take it during the birth, but I'm willing to go through it all. I know, you don't need to tell me how brave I am," he remarked with obvious sarcasm, a slow smile incapable of remaining off his expression. No pain he had experienced in his life could be comparable to what Carina would go through... but it would all be forgotten the moment they had their child in their arms.

The thought of the aftermath of the birth, watching Carina resting back peacefully with their baby tucked protectively in her arms, made him feel strangely emotional. He knew he'd cry on the day, inevitably, but he had a month to go before then; he couldn't allow himself to start blubbering emotionally before then, so he forced the images from his mind and allowed his eyes to peer down at Carina to distract him.

That was the last thing he remembered before he heard the door to the library creak open, stirring abruptly with a tired groan. He realised he must have fallen asleep and remained on the couch until morning, recognising the morning sunlight as it shone through the grand windows, the heavy curtains having stayed open throughout the night. He yawned under his breath as he felt his neck ache in pain at the position he had fallen asleep in, his arm still wrapped around Carina as she rested into his chest. He might have had to sleep awkwardly but a smile arose in realising it was worth it if it meant Carina had been comfortable.

Even despite his sleepiness, he was aware that this was their first time having slept beside one another, and to do so in such an affectionate position inevitably made Sven smile to himself. Granted, it hadn't been a conscious choice they had made, but he was going to enjoy the fact it had happened regardless.

He only glanced up at the sight of Lauren quietly approaching, her brows furrowed in confusion at the sight of the affectionate positioning, Sven not daring to move until Carina awoke. The maid had noticed that the usual time the King sat for breakfast had come and gone and so several members of staff set out in search of their rulers - and as luck would have it, it was Lauren that had stumbled upon them first.

"...Have you slept here all night, your majesty? I... wish I'd have known, I'd have brought blankets," she began quietly, trying her hardest not to grimace in disgust at the sight of them looking so... cosy together. She had watched from afar over the month as the two grew closer, finding the fact they were happy in one another's company disgusting... and it only confounded the betrayal she felt from Carina. She had turned down the plan of killing Sven, and from how close she had grown with him, Lauren doubted she would choose to leave him or Ignis at all.

And it only made her warm more and more to her and Thorin's plans. If Carina was firmly on Sven's side now, she deserved to die there.

"Oh, I-- must have, yes. The fire kept us warm, though. And... apparently, I'm like a piece of toast," he laughed, aware that the remark would mean little to Lauren but it had stuck with him, smiling bashfully to himself as he peered at Carina thoughtfully. "We... were painting; well, I was. And then I sat down and... we fell asleep, evidently."

At the sound of voices, Carina slowly allowed herself to get dragged up from the depths of sleep, body stretching out the stiffness that had formed from their awkward sleeping positions. Her head turned to nuzzle against his chest, eyes remaining closed for a moment as she reluctantly came back to her senses. She only caught the end of Sven's sentence, a small smile forming on her lips at his repeat of her comment about him being as warm as a piece of toast.

"You're never going to let me forget I said that, are you?" She questioned in amusement, finally turning her head and opening her eyes to see him, and also who he was talking to. Unaware of the time, or the person that had found them.

Instantly the smile dropped from her face, eyes locking onto Lauren and body stiffening once again. She knew the girl wasn't stupid, and was extremely observant - she had learned that from their time conspiring together. However, Carina had still attempted to keep the affection she felt towards Sven to a minimum, avoiding any physical affection if the maid was around. Now... that was all out the window.

It made the Queen quick to sit up, although the movement caused a pain just below her stomach which caused her to wince and hiss softly. A hand immediately went to the spot, teeth gritting as she gently rubbed at it in an attempt to ease the discomfort.

"I-- I'm guessing we've missed breakfast." She observed, if somewhat awkwardly as she avoided looking at Lauren by checking the time on the clock visible in the library, "Never mind. P-Perhaps a brunch, if it's-- if it's too late for breakfast." She tentatively pushed herself to her feet, ignoring the pain that lingered in the same spot as before. "I think I-I'll go and freshen up first though, before all that. I've got some aches in places I didn't realise were possible." She attempted to joke lightly, to avoid any suspicion regarding her odd behaviour with Lauren.

She reached out to give Sven's shoulder a soft squeeze, smiling a little, "I'll see you in a moment."

"Now, why would I let you forget it? It's the funniest thing you've ever said, Carina. Not to mention that I find it, and you, adorable," the King remarked easily, too sleepy to really acknowledge the open confession that he thought of her comment in such a way. If he wasn't still in the thrall of his tiredness, blearily trying to come to terms with being awake after such a long, content sleep, he wouldn't have just blurted out that he found her adorable in fear of just complicating the easiness of their interactions as of late... but evidently, he hadn't been able to stop himself, and from how he casually continued to ease himself up from the loveseat, he hadn't acknowledged that he had even said it in the first place.

What it had inadvertently achieved was the confirmation of the closeness to Carina for Lauren, who might not have reacted to it physically but was understandably raging inwardly. The sleeping positions were evidence that the Queen had grown close to Sven, cuddled up into his chest as he had an arm wrapped around her and his free hand resting in hers atop of her bump, but his 'adorable' comment was all she needed to really know that Carina had fully betrayed her.

She had grown close to the man that she had plotted to kill just months ago; a man who was deserving of the cruellest of deaths. Because Lauren didn't at all believe that he had changed; how could she when he was a master of manipulation? But she didn't believe that Carina was a victim of it again and so had no desire to rescue her from his clutches.

No, she believed that Carina simply didn't care. That she had decided she liked Sven regardless and allowed herself to do something despicable in forming a friendship and, inevitably in the future, a relationship too.

If Lauren hadn't felt betrayed before, she certainly did now.

"Ah-- are you okay? You shouldn't move so quickly, Carina. If you hadn't noticed, you are rather heavily pregnant so... perhaps don't go moving like that," he joked, though it was mostly just to prevent himself from pestering her in concern. He could see just by waiting a second that she was okay, just discomforted, but he cared about the baby - and he cared about her. It was difficult not to rush to her side and reassure himself that she was alright, though he managed to do so and instead shot a smile to Lauren.

"Would you mind perhaps helping Carina up to her bedroom so she can freshen up before brunch? I-- I know you'll be fine going alone, Carina, but Lauren's here; she may as well accompany you and be on hand to help you get ready, hm? Save another maid from interrupting their duties this morning to do so."

"...I...have my own duties," began Lauren in an effort to get out of the request. She had abandoned the effort to patch things up with Carina when her attempt had been rejected in the apparent need for time on Carina's behalf - and she certainly didn't want to start spending time with her after walking into the library and witnessing the affectionate display. The last thing she wanted was to be in her presence, but she knew that protesting further would cause suspicion and so, with a sigh, she nodded in agreement and watched as Sven, now content, smiled fondly to Carina and headed off to freshen himself up.

The atmosphere left in his absence was unsubtle in its awkwardness as Lauren's expression hardened somewhat, incapable of putting a smile on her face when doing so made absolutely no sense and contradicted how she was feeling.

"...I can't remember the last time I was alone with you. Must be weeks now. It's... strange, isn't it? How quickly friends can become like... strangers."

Carina watched Sven leave, a part of her wishing that he didn't, while another part of her was grateful that he did. She didn't need the anxiety of being caught out regarding her's and Lauren's previous friendship. Yet she also didn't want to be alone with the maid, knowing now that all was out in the open. It unnerved her, especially knowing how strongly Lauren felt regarding Sven. How they both once felt the same way. She knew the maid already felt betrayed once... this was not going to help matters.

"You don't need to help me to my room. You have your own duties, like you said and... I don't want it to seem like I am incapable of doing anything myself." She answered, a reference to what the maid said in a fit of anger. While nothing had been said, Lauren's face said it all. Not to mention the tension that lingered within the air.

It was ridiculous that it made her nervous that Lauren was between her and the door. She now had ice coursing through her veins, and she had the opportunity to wield it again should something go wrong. However, even with the uncertainty regarding Lauren and what the woman was planning or not planning... Carina wasn't sure if she would be able to act against the girl.

The guilt of going against their plans, and the remnants of their close friendship still lingered deep within Carina. She also knew, far down within herself, that Lauren had a right to be angry and hurt and dejected by what had happened.

However, she knew she couldn't let that nervousness show and so began walking towards the doors as if nothing was concerning her, despite the protective positioning of her hands on her bump.

"As I'm sure you're aware," she finally spoke again, pausing near the maid and keeping her voice low, "Sven still has no idea regarding... the friendship we once had. I'm going to keep it that way. I just--" She hesitated, studying the woman carefully, "I didn't want... or expect things to happen this way, Lauren. It just... happened."

"Oh, I assure you that I don't wish to resume the duties and make either of us any more uncomfortable than we already are, but I have a direct order from my King. Besides, do you really want to evoke his suspicion? Evidently you and him are close now; I don't want to ruin that for you by having him become suspicious of us, Carina. If you're happy and have worked past your hatred for the man that was responsible for countless cruel acts towards you, then I'm glad you've found that peace - and I don't wish to ruin it for you. I think it's best we avoid provoking his suspicion of you," she admitted as she absentmindedly readjusted the pillows upon the loveseat.

She didn't necessarily need to maintain her maid status in front of Carina when the two were aware that it had merely started as an excuse she had to be in the castle and gather information for her cause, but she felt uncomfortable being informal with the Queen nowadays. Gone were the times where she would drop her shoulders and sit back casually on the loveseat to talk to her as though they were friends; equals.

Now she found herself preferring to uphold formality and professionalism in her presence, using it as a barrier to avoid growing vulnerable around the person she had once loved, but now despised. More so than ever after walking in to witness the affectionate display she had, her mind naturally conjuring up other possible instances that might have occurred over the month; conversations professing their love for one another even. It disgusted her all the same, but she held back from communicating that. As much as she wanted to hiss at her for her stupidity, she knew the importance of at least pretending she still cared for the woman.

Even if that was the promise that she wouldn't just blurt their secret out to Sven. She could have Carina in the palm of her hand if she desired to, threaten her with all the secrets she had on her. If she was in such a good place now with the King, preparing to be a family with him and their child, it could all come crumbling down in seconds if she chose to unleash that news. The power it brought her was appealing but she couldn't even threaten the woman when she knew she had access to her powers and could shut her up before any secret could be leaked.

No, she had to stay loyal to her and Thorin's plans instead, knowing that was the only way forward to better beginnings now.

"...It just happened. As many of these things usually do. You don't need to explain yourself to me; you're under no obligation to explain your actions to me. I admit it's... shocking and I... struggle to understand how it... happened, but... it happened. What more is there to say?" She replied swiftly as she stood up straight, biting the inside of her cheeks hard.

"I think I should at least accompany you to your room; I can leave you alone then. Just so Sven doesn't question you on why you dismissed my help."

Carina eyed the maid with clear suspicion. She had no clear understanding why the maid was acting some calmly, so casually, about all that was happening. She had expected a cold and controlled rage to be directed her way, as she had had weeks, months, prior. Yet the girl in front of her was collected, going about her usual business of tidying up the room she and Sven had unknowingly slept in for the night. It made Carina uneasy, and she longed to speak to Sven and make it clear she wanted Lauren no longer helping her with anything.

But how could she when she knew how much he trusted the other young woman? How well Lauren had manipulated the manipulator into believing she was nothing more than a caring, loyal confidant for him to turn to and offer up secrets so carelessly. Sven would wonder why Carina suddenly couldn't bare to be helped by Lauren, but perhaps it would also be easier to get out of now, with him being fonder on her and their relationship growing stronger.

"I'd much rather you didn't." Carina replied simply, fingers entwining to rest under her belly, "I'm sure I can think of something for Sven. He trusts you maybe, but he's also grown fond of me, as I'm sure you're now aware. I can simply make something up, say I'm concerned about backlash from dismissing you earlier or uncomfortable with your help with you being one of his lovers... Or ex-lovers, I should say. My being comfortable is one of his main priorities now... And I'm sure it wouldn't take much convincing." She studied the maid, mainly trying to figure out what was going on in her head.

"You're right... I don't need to explain myself to you." She then agreed softly, shaking her head almost in amusement at herself, "And you don't need to understand anything. I'm just trying to do what is right for my child, Lauren. And in the process if that... Things are changing. Not just between Sven and myself but within the kingdom. Although I wonder if you have been otherwise too preoccupied with other matters to notice."

It was a pointed comment, one that lacked any real knowledge if their original plans were under construction still and if Lauren and Thorin were planning something of their own making. However, Carina risked the comment to see if she earned herself a reaction. A reaction to tell her if she was guessing correctly, or if not. Her gut twisted each time she saw Lauren, and Thorin, and the young queen had trusted her gut on many occasions before.

"Regardless, as you said, you have other duties to perform. I'd hate to keep you from them. I can see myself to my room, thank you."

The urge to roll her eyes hard at the other's remarks was strong, particularly when it almost sounded to the maid's ears as though Carina was almost bragging about her bond with Sven. She knew it probably hadn't been intentional to come across like that, but it at least indicated just how much she valued that growth in their friendship; how much she had come to treasure it after so many months of vicious animosity.

Under other circumstances, even with the breakdown of their friendship, Lauren would have been delighted to see that her former friend had found happiness with someone; that her life was somewhat lit up whenever she was in the comfortable and enjoyable company of someone who evidently had feelings for her. It was just impossible to spare her that support when that someone in question was Sven; a man who had manipulated her, tormented her, aided in tearing down other kingdoms and, notably, tearing apart Carina's own brother.

How she could overlook it all and give Sven a chance to earn a genuine place in her life was... perplexing, but evidently it had happened. And thus, having to stand before the Queen as she all but proudly claimed that Sven cared for her and would listen to her requests made the young maid feel sick to her stomach.

They were supposed to have killed the man together, give him the punishment he so deserved, and headed off to start their lives anew elsewhere. She was supposed to be at Carina's side throughout it all; the one friend she felt she could trust with her entire life. Evidently, Thorin had been right when he told her that Carina would stab her in the back at any given moment because here she now was, aligning her loyalties to Sven and doing all she could to avoid even being in a room with Lauren.

As though Lauren was now the bad person for not giving Sven a chance like she had done, despite the atrocities he had so sadistically committed.

"What-- What the hell is that supposed to mean?" She suddenly blurted at the pointed comment about her supposed preoccupation with 'other matters'. She didn't react in a way of being caught out or seeming shocked that Carina was onto her continuing plans of revenge. Instead, her reaction was angry at the comment's lack of specificity and honesty; it felt pretentious in its delivery, a pointed remark made from a position of superiority and judgement.

And if there was thing Lauren disliked, it was made to feel as though she was unimportant. It had taken her a while to trust Carina at the beginning, but had gradually trusted her as an equal because that was how she had treated her. This... wasn't that.

"Why don't you just say what you think without any of the pretention, Carina? Or-- should I say 'your majesty' now? Considering you evidently refuse to see me as a friend anymore. I thought we would be able to at least respect one another in private and dismiss the formalities even with the difficulties of our friendship, b-but-- clearly not, ma'am," she murmured, almost tempted to curtsey before her to really hammer the point in though she restrained herself, arms folding over her chest with a hardened frown.

"If you really must now, I've been in contact with Thorin but not for the deviant reasons you seem to believe. He's my boyfriend, Carina. We... talk about hobbies; we go for walks in the village together, get lunch at the tavern or drink until we're tipsy in the evening. It's all perfectly innocent. You'd have been the first person I would have gushed all this girly nonsense with had we been friends, but it didn't feel... appropriate to include you in discussions of my love life when things were so cold between us. But now you know. You have Sven a chance to redeem himself, and I've done the same with Thorin. I'm more aware that people can change than you give me credit for - but thank you for doubting my intentions, ma'am. It doesn't hurt at all."

"I'm talking about the plans to kill Sven." Carina hissed quietly, taking a step back toward Lauren and away from the door to avoid being heard, "Yes, I've been keeping my distance but that's because I don't want any part in those plans anymore, Lauren, and I can't turn a blind eye to what you may or may not be doing. And I didn't dare ask you about it after the reaction I had when I told you I was pulling out of the plan."

She didn't appreciate Lauren's tone, or the way the maid was behaving. Carina had to confess she had handled the situation poorly, but things felt awkward for her since she announced her intentions to no longer go through with their plans. She also felt on edge around Lauren after what the young queen saw as forced sadness in her apology a day or so later.

She didn't know where she stood with the maid, and thus distanced herself, as she did with anyone she wasn't certain about.

"Don't try and guilt me into apologising to you, Lauren." She murmured next, shaking her head as she took in a deep breath, "Because I am not about to. I cannot help but be suspicious when the last time we spoke you were still manipulating him as we had discussed. The last I remembered, his touch repulsed you. So god forbid I wonder if something else is afoot here." She answered, keeping her voice calm and controlled as she knew it ought to be."I hardly expected you to become as thick as thieves after all the hatred you spouted regarding Ignisians, and especially with your reaction to me pulling out of our plans."

Carina paused, eyes closing briefly before she took a deep breath in, releasing it in a long exhale afterwards, "But if that's the case... then I'm happy you've found some happiness yourself. You... deserve it. And I hope it... lasts, for the both of you."

"And I hardly expected you to become thick as thieves with an Ignisian either; especially one who is responsible for such viciousness towards you and the ones you loved, but again, here we are. It's alright for you to take Sven in and build a bond with him, but my relationship with Thorin has doubts cast upon it? You know, I can do that too, Carina. I can doubt you as you doubt me. Perhaps you're conspiring with Sven, hm? Perhaps you've told him of the former plans made against him, without telling him you were a part of them, and you're both plotting to punish those involved even though I've moved on? I despise the man, that much will never change, but I know when to quit, Carina," she muttered with her own deliberate calmness, however hot her blood boiled inside. She couldn't wait to reveal everything she had learned that morning to Thorin, knowing that if nothing else, this would be a great motivator to their plans; a realisation that they couldn't back out or they would be forced to watch Sven and Carina build a happy life together.

And neither of them deserved such a thing when they had both betrayed those closest to them with.

They didn't deserve to get their happy ever after.

She breathed in through her nose and out through her mouth to calm that inner rage building within her, running her hands down the fabric at her sides to smooth out the creases and maintain a more professional, formal stance once more after the brief departure from it all in her disbelief at the words leaving her former friend's mouth.

"...I understand that you have doubts, I do. I would too in your situation. But I have no desire to act upon them without your assistance. Hence why I want to leave this godforsaken kingdom. I can't live under his rule, it isn't doing my mental health any good to be near that man. I'm happy you've seen a change in him but I can't offer him that - so I'm leaving when Thorin's ready to. That's the only plan we've been discussing. I can't waste my life away here when I could move on and start anew elsewhere," she shrugged calmly, even if her expression had been overcome with a genuine show of emotion. After all, all she wanted was that chance at a normal life without feeling such a constant swell of anger and irritation within her day in, day out. She wanted to wake up and feel confident about her future; a fact she couldn't see under the rule of Sven when his mere presence made her feel sick to her stomach in fear.

And only succeeding with the plans could bring her that chance of living normally again. Carina evidently had no interest in them but Lauren was more determined than ever to see them come to fruition - even if she couldn't ever admit as much to her former friend, who would no doubt take Sven's side without hesitation.

"...Nothing I say will convince you, I imagine, but there's nothing I can tell you other than my truth. When I leave, hopefully then you'll realise I had no intention of carrying out any plans you seem to think I still plan on acting on. I.. can't say anything to convince you, so hopefully my actions -or lack of them- will. It's a shame I have to leave just for you to start to believe it but... it is what it is."

Carina scoffed at the mere idea of what Lauren was insinuating; that she was the one that would be the betrayer and had told Sven all there was to know about their former plans. She turned her head away from the maid, mildly annoyed that it was believed she would ever do such a thing. If there was anything was truthful about in the time she had spent in Ignis, it was the relationship she had with Lauren. Even though they may not be where they were a few months ago, Carina would never dream of turning her former friend in like that.

"Unless it escaped your attention, I have plenty of other things to worry about and plan for. My child is my greatest concern, not some fake plan to throw you into the fire. We may have drifted apart, Lauren, but I've not spoken a word to Sven. Mostly in the hope you had decided to leave such ideas behind." She answered, voice belittle sharper to combat Lauren's own emotional anguish."But if it is as you say and you've... Given up on all those plans and have formed new ones with Thorin... Then I am pleased you've found that happiness with someone."

Exhaling heavily, Carina rubbed lightly at her forehead in an attempt to counteract the headache that was beginning to form. Her eyes reluctantly returned to the maid, and she hesitated with what to say next. Not wanting to wound the girl further, but also wanting to mend a little of what bridge was left.

"If... There is anything I can do to make your transition to this new life with Thorin easier... Then... Then do let me know. If it's maps, transport, money, food... Anything. I... I know we haven't seen eye to eye recently but... I do still care, Lauren. I still wish to see you happy." The young queen confessed, hands now clasped together and resting on top of the bump.

Eventually she glanced to the clock in the library, and then allowed her gaze to settle back on the maid, "I think I'll return to my room and miss breakfast this morning. A headache is on the way." She murmured, hand reaching up to cradle the back of her neck, "I'll send another to inform Sven, no point putting you through seeing him more than you need to."

With a final glance to the maid, Carina turned and left the library, making her way back to her room after sending another servant with a message for hot water for a bath, and to tell Sven she would be in her room for breakfast instead this morning.

I still wish to see you happy.

It was hard for Lauren to outwardly laugh at that statement in particular, given every move she had made in recent times had actively worked against Lauren's happiness. She had backtracked on their plans. She had pushed her away and let their friendship deteriorate to the Queen-maid relationship it now primarily was. She aligned herself to Sven and evidently had developed feelings for him in spite of the horrendous actions he had committed that had hurt her and those she loved in the past.

How could Lauren ever believe that the other truly had any wishes for her happiness when her actions had left no room for actual happiness to grow? She had found a slither of it with Thorin and she valued that happiness with him - but more so because everything else in her life made her feel dreadful. She treasured what she had with Thorin primarily because without him, she would be left with nothing, all while Carina had everything. A kingdom to rule. A husband who now seemed to genuinely love her. A child on the way.

And she doubted that Carina would even spare her a thought if she hadn't confronted her like this. She imagined she would have just been forgotten entirely as Carina enjoyed her new life with all the new, exciting things that were happening in it. So like hell was she about to believe that the other actually valued her happiness when she had been happy to ignore her very existence for the past month.

She forced a smile on her face as the Queen took her leave from the library, only then allowing her anger and hurt to express itself as she grabbed a cushion and screamed furiously into it, tears threatening to expel from her eyes the more she considered the other's display. With shaky breaths through gritted teeth, her jaw tight and unrelaxed, she composed herself as best as she could before taking her leave from the library to find Thorin.

With Carina having rejected her assistance, she had a little spare time on her hands and couldn't handle the information she had gathered about the blossoming feelings between the royals to herself. And with Thorin being the only person she had to confide in these days, she wasted little time in seeking him out, brushing the few tears that had leaked from her eyes angrily as she made her way through the corridors in search of the guard.

Eventually discovering him, she forced a polite smile on her face at the familiar sight of the other guards casually gathered around outside, taking a break from the morning training sessions that several of them got together to informally conduct. Her frequent interactions with Thorin meant that she had become acquainted with the guards and often found time to converse with them - though that didn't mean she liked or trusted either one of them besides Thorin.

"Do you think we could head inside? I know that the chef puts aside breakfasts for some of us using the leftovers so I'd be more than willing to share mine with you - I just really need to talk to you, it can't wait until later or I fear I'll j-just kill that woman in the next ten minutes, I... I'm really struggling to hold myself together r-right now, Thorin."

Thorin stepped away from the other guards as he noticed Lauren's approach, smiling as they made eye contact but it slowly fading as he noticed her expression. He reached out to quietly usher them both to the side, the smile soon replaced with a faint frown. He waited for her to speak first, knowing she would tell him what was wrong without him needing to prompt her.

"Woah, woah... Now just... Let's go inside, you can tell me what's going on." He responded, glancing up at the group and raising a hand to wave his goodbyes to the other guards. He lead the young woman back inside as she wanted, noting how upset she was and not really eager to aggregate her emotions even further.

Excusing them past some other servants and a few other guards milling about hoping for a few pastries that were left over, he ensured to get them a private, secluded spot in one of the kitchen corners.

Thorin waited until she had gathered the leftovers she mentioned, not even really caring about being able to have some himself, but having grown to care for the woman enough to want to make sure she looked after herself.

"Right," he began once she returned, "Now..
Now tell me, what's happened? What's wrong? What's she-- what's she gone and done now?"

"They were cuddled up together on the couch, Thorin. He had his arm around her, she was pressed into his side, head on his chest-- they're in love, aren't they? They've actually gone and fallen in love with one another," she spitefully laughed, unable to actually believe that those words were leaving her lips. She had detested Carina's decision not to follow through on their plans but she could accept that she had been doing what she felt was right for her child; that she would hate Sven but do whatever she could to ensure her survival.

To make sure her baby had its mother in their life for as long as possible.

But what she had witnessed wasn't an expertly executed plan to make Sven fall in love with her to continue that survival. It wasn't a plan of any sort because it would have been put into motion months sooner if all she wanted was a chance to live for as long as she could. No, Lauren knew that what she had witnessed in the library was emblematic of the depth of feelings that now existed between the King and Queen - and it understandably horrified her.

She took a seat with her small breakfast, reaching for the steaming cup of tea at her left to try and relax the rage that was building up more than ever at having to recount the scene to Thorin. In and of itself, Carina finding love wouldn't have angered her. Even if they were no longer friends, she couldn't deny her a chance at happiness... but the fact that man was Sven only confirmed that Carina had really stabbed the knife in her back and betrayed her more than she thought was possible.

The maid might have been plotting her death but there had been an opportunity in that month for her mind to change, her opinion to sway. She had always cared for Carina and had there been a genuine attempt by the Queen to rebuild what was lost, to confirm to Lauren that she couldn't risk going through on the plan but wouldn't stop her from continuing forth if she desired to do so, but she hadn't. She had frozen her it, it felt like, and all because her time and energy had instead gone towards Sven.

A man who didn't deserve the happiness that he was now experiencing in bucket loads.

"...Why do they get to rule happily ever after? Wh-Why do... do they get to be together and find happiness after he betrayed you and she betrayed me? After we got frozen out and dismissed as though we meant nothing to them?" She grimaced, resting her head back in her hands for a moment, breathing in deeply until she was certain she wasn't about to start crying - she couldn't allow herself to be that weak, even in the private moment with Thorin.

"Her attitude to me was-- sickening. She was pretentious, superior, looked at me like I was... nothing. And she suspects me; us. She... thinks we're still discussing the plans. I had to tell her we were dating and planning to leave the kingdom to throw her off the scent but I doubt she truly believed that was all I was hiding-- and she has access to her powers. There's no bracelet on her wrist, I've only now noticed so who knows how long she's had the chance to use them. Evidently, she's decided not to; to give her and Sven a chance at a nice happy family, I-it fucking makes m-me sick."