Paradox Question

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reactions: Lysander
Oooh, we're doing paradoxes, are we? Well, I've got one!

"I live in New York, and I never lie. I say that all New Yorkers are liars. Am I lying?"

Paradoxes are so fun, aren't the-- *realizes the turn this thread took, and backs away*

Anyway, this question is stupid, as is everyone who keeps referring to it as "maths". Ugh. :(
Mathematics (from Greek μάθημα máthēma, "knowledge, study, learning") is the study of topics such as quantity (numbers), structure, space, and change.

Boom! I just defeated you in public, in front of everyone. That means more people will want to message me for sex rather than you. You are shamed and I am glorified, and will spend the rest of the day thinking specifically about you and how much you suck, laughing from time to time instead of getting on with my work. No one likes you anymore, because my defeat of you has made them realize how ignorant and flawed you are as a human being. Plus I quoted you, so you definitely read what I said and can't pretend that you didn't.

COME AT ME, BRO!

*turns the maths thread into an unpleasant situation*

The Paradox Fraternity needs to be a thing.

Paradox Frat Bro's. Asmo is the leader.

Last edited by a moderator:
Asmodeus, I'm going to have to ask you to tone it down.

Oooh, we're doing paradoxes, are we? Well, I've got one!

"I live in New York, and I never lie. I say that all New Yorkers are liars. Am I lying?"

Paradoxes are so fun, aren't the-- *realizes the turn this thread took, and backs away*

You're lying. And its not a paradox because you claimed all new yorkers are liars. But you being a liar doesn't mean all of them are. :P

Mathematics (from Greek μάθημα máthēma, "knowledge, study, learning") is the study of topics such as quantity (numbers), structure, space, and change.

Boom! I just defeated you in public, in front of everyone. That means more people will want to message me for sex rather than you. You are shamed and I am glorified, and will spend the rest of the day thinking specifically about you and how much you suck, laughing from time to time instead of getting on with my work. No one likes you anymore, because my defeat of you has made them realize how ignorant and flawed you are as a human being. Plus I quoted you, so you definitely read what I said and can't pretend that you didn't.

COME AT ME, BRO!

look_out.jpg

• Love
Reactions: Lysander

COME AT ME, BRO!

Except this paradox question doesn't really fall within that definition. The question isn't really about probabilities - the purpose of it is to create a loop in the logical reasoning one employs to attempt to answer it. It's not really mathematical in nature, at its heart - at least the way I see it, anyway.

Well done, Asmo. You have defeated me. Now let's get you your medication and get the crayon off of your face, 'kay? <3

Oh shit. I just figured out what this paradox is like. It's like when you...

LOSE THE GAME.
>:(

You just lost the game.
I am honestly sorry that this happened.
sorry-you-just-lost-the-game.jpg

The only way to win is not to play.
Uh-duh.​

Except this paradox question doesn't really fall within that definition. The question isn't really about probabilities - the purpose of it is to create a loop in the logical reasoning one employs to attempt to answer it. It's not really mathematical in nature, at its heart - at least the way I see it, anyway.

Well done, Asmo. You have defeated me. Now let's get you your medication and get the crayon off of your face, 'kay? <3
I won't speak for Asmo. But....

As it's a probability question, eliminating the answers changes the entire question. The probability distribution completely changes. The reason it's a paradox is because of the self-referential nature of the question, and because A) and D) are the same. Of course eliminating the very thing that makes it a paradox stops it from being a paradox.

Anyway, this question is stupid, as is everyone who keeps referring to it as "maths". Ugh. :(
You came in, called the subject and everyone stupid. Kind of out of the blue, really. Which was incredibly rude and unnecessary.

Could you really find no other way to state your opinion? Did you really have to insult everyone in the thread to get your point across?

And...what was your initial point, exactly?

That we're all stupid?

Because you were confident that you knew the answer?

You couldn't just state your answer respectively, like so many others, and not fling shit as a parting shot for no reason? You couldn't just rely on the validity of your answer to speak for itself?

Do with that as you will. This thread started fun, at least.

Turns out slapping the 'Debate' tag on a thread, even jokingly, means that it inevitably descends into a clusterfuck of people getting mad with each other.

Guys, I think we're onto some bizarre forum phenomenon here.

Or you're all just a pack of assholes.

Turns out slapping the 'Debate' tag on a thread, even jokingly, means that it inevitably descends into a clusterfuck of people getting mad with each other.

Guys, I think we're onto some bizarre forum phenomenon here.

Or you're all just a pack of assholes.

not assholes

asshats

i have a nice hat

i demand it be recognized

Reactions: Gwazi Magnum
Stop putting hats on your ass, Raz. That's not a fashion statement that's gonna kick off.

I won't speak for Asmo. But....

You came in, called the subject and everyone stupid. Kind of out of the blue, really. Which was incredibly rude and unnecessary.

Could you really find no other way to state your opinion? Did you really have to insult everyone in the thread to get your point across?

And...what was your initial point, exactly?

That we're all stupid?

Because you were confident that you knew the answer?

You couldn't just state your answer respectively, like so many others, and not fling shit as a parting shot for no reason? You couldn't just rely on the validity of your answer to speak for itself?

Do with that as you will. This thread started fun, at least.

I didn't think my responses were being taken seriously, just as what I was responding to was clearly not serious. It's pretty much that simple. I wasn't seriously casting aspersions on the intelligence of anyone in this thread. "Stupid" was meant to imply "silly". I also wasn't seriously insulting Asmo, just as I'm pretty sure he didn't really spend the entire day chuckling to himself and receiving PMs from admirers begging to get nasty with him. My initial point was to do as fatalrendezvous had asked, and explain why it wasn't B - the other part was just an addendum stating a lighthearted opinion meant in good spirits. Plenty of people jokingly responded with "ugh don't make me do maths, this is horrible"; I expressed exactly the same sentiment, except adding that I don't think it counts as a mathematical question.
I honestly felt none of this had to be clarified. My apologies, Tegan. Does that clear things up?

• Thank You
Reactions: Tegan
Yes, it does. Thank you.

And OH BOY I SURE DO FEEL LIKE A HUMORLESS DICK NEOW.

Of course I misinterpreted the context of your joke/trollololol joke and went full on Auntie Tegan Mode. Still a little jumpy from previous discussions in General that devolved into name-calling that WASN'T all in good fun. But that had nothing to do with you. So I apologize for that part.

I'll just check my PTSD at the door.

Now, to ease the pain of this massive misunderstanding let us all pass the dutchie to the left hand side.

And by 'dutchie' I mean delicious Dutch Baby.

Because there are no drugs on the internet.

Just accept the fact that you hate fun, Tegan. It makes things much easier.

Seriously. It's a paradox. Taking this seriously is like taking stubbing your toe seriously. It's annoying, it racks you with a minute amount of pain and it's arbitrary.

Status
Not open for further replies.