Paradox Question

Status
Not open for further replies.
In real multiple choice questions, there's only ever one real answer. We need to look past the formulation of the question, and instead consider the structure. After all, we're never asked which of the four options is the correct answer, only the likeliness that we'll be correct.

Thus, that should be 25%, because only one of A and D can actually be the correct answer. And if they screw with you in that way, they're just as likely to screw with you by making B or C correct.

Of course, that's assuming this multiple choice question follows the traditional rules of multiple choice questions. If we throw out that assumption, then it is indeed a paradox as previously stated, and there's no answer to be found.

Maybe the answer is peace, love and understanding.

Maybe the answer is peace, love and understanding.
No it's not, shut your stupid fucking mouth or come fight me so we can settle this like men, you ignorant shitball. D:<

Reactions: Lysander
No, this is where you should have responded to me in kind to start a huge argument. I was trying to fulfill your request from this previous post:

Keep going, Jorick. We've almost got an argument breaking out.
but you just ruined it. Great work, nerd.

I love you. Always.

i luv u 2 bby :heartbeat:

Staff, please lock this thread. It has ended in love and reconciliation.

And isn't that what Maths is all about, at the end of the day?

Is that not.... the true paradox?

Thread successful. God bless Iwaku and all who rage in it.

Everyone caught on to you Asmodeus, you're not funny anymore >:( go back to writing more ruin follow!

Ruin Follow?

You mean that original and edgy fantasy serial that myself and Tegan are publishing on Medium?

The story that weaves multiple characters and subplots into an epic tale of adventure and obsession while offering superb social commentary on the fate of human culture?

Based upon an equally popular mass roleplay that had the largest participation base in the history of Iwaku?

The fantasy story that everyone should check out right now so that they can increase our read stats find ways to critique it and counter-argue me when I explain its merits?

You mean that Ruin Follow?

You've always been a dear friend, Unonion.

EVERYBODY CALM YOUR TITS AND PENISES! Play nice and go back to topic :D

After all, we're never asked which of the four options is the correct answer...
No, actually, like I said before... we were never asked a question. And so, no answer is possible. Because reality is Uncertain. Like in quantum physics, Uncertainty exists until an observation is made. In this case, until a SPECIFIC question is asked.

No, actually, like I said before... we were never asked a question. And so, no answer is possible. Because reality is Uncertain. Like in quantum physics, Uncertainty exists until an observation is made. In this case, until a SPECIFIC question is asked.

If you choose an answer to this question at random, what is the chance you will be correct?
^ This is the question to which the question is referring. It is a self-referential question.

This, of course, is only known through implication. In much the same way that it is implied that the multiple-choice answers are indeed the set of answers from which we are expected to select. It is true that due to this inherent uncertainty, no answer can be adequately gauged. And yet, in the same sense, one could argue that absolutely every question is incomplete, and thus, unanswerable.

This would make it very difficult to discuss things at all.

For this reason, we create paradigms. We accept these paradigms on a leap of faith, until such a time as the paradigm is graced with too many unsolvable problems, at which point we create a new paradigm. Without paradigms, no scientific, rationalistic, or contextual knowledge can be accrued, leaving us to stagnate in a state of total uncertainty. Because that would be a devastatingly ineffective stance to take, we instead choose to accept certain truths and live accordingly.

Therefor, I was proposing methods of answering the question within a specific paradigm—that paradigm following the conventions of the traditional multiple-choice question. In addition, I was making a leap of faith to assume that I understood the intention behind the question itself, in order to recognize its self-referential nature.

Ultimately, there is no certainty in my deliberation. This I fully admit. But I choose not to lose myself in meaningless uncertainty when dealing with largely straightforward situations. I like to keep my skepticism of knowledge to matters of philosophy and subjectivity.

Scenario 1: you pick answer A, which is 25%. The probability of picking this answer is 50%, making this answer incorrect.
Scenario 2: you pick answer B, which is 50%. The probability of picking this answer is 25%, making this answer incorrect.
Scenario 3: you pick answer C, which is 60%. The probability of picking this answer is 25%, making this answer incorrect.
Scenario 4: you pick answer D, which is 25%. The probability of picking this answer is 50%, making this answer incorrect.

The probability of picking a correct answer is 0%.
I still don't get why the answer isn't just zero.

It is true that due to this inherent uncertainty, no answer can be adequately gauged. And yet, in the same sense, one could argue that absolutely every question is incomplete, and thus, unanswerable.

This would make it very difficult to discuss things at all.
It would indeed, if the first part I bolded was true. You ask the question "What did you have for breakfast?" and I can answer with complete certainty that I had a wheat and oatmeal pancake topped with unsweetened applesauce, along with a cup of black coffee. And so, we can discuss what I... or should I say we... had for breakfast. Because I might very well ask the same "What did you have for breakfast?" question in return.

Which, in the present discussion, leads me to ask "What paradox?"

However, I will admit, you are indeed correct that an ambiguous/implied question is too vague to answer, because it is, indeed... in a sense... incomplete. But then, such questions are not truly questions, they are just thought experiments. Fun, but not practical. Because practical questions can always be answered. Well... heh... yes, only if the person asked can remember what they had for breakfast. But even so, isn't that practical knowledge?

After all, the whole point of questions is ultimately to learn. To gain knowledge from the answer... or lack of answer.

Give @Dnanyu a cookie, because as I see it, they answered the question correctly, assuming the multiple choice answers are the only answers you're allowed to give. If none of the given answers are the correct answer in mutliple choice, the probability that you'll pick the right one will be 0%

UNLESS, one of the options would arbitrarily be chosen as the right answer by the test taker, in which case it would be 25% regardless of what the actual answer was, since 1 answer out of 4 is 25% of the answers.

In essence, the problem is unsolveable not because of the paradox, but because there is not enough information given.

• Thank You
Reactions: 1 person
In essence, the problem is unsolveable not because of the paradox, but because there is not enough information given.

Exactly.

"What did you have for breakfast?"
Well, you see, this question too is incomplete. You ask what has been eaten for breakfast, but you ask not which breakfast. It is only implied through temporal convention. So my point was just that sometimes we have to look past just the words and look at the intent behind the question.

you are indeed correct that an ambiguous/implied question is too vague to answer, because it is, indeed... in a sense... incomplete.
That is not so much what I was trying to get at. Rather the opposite, in that though technically it is unanswerable, in practicality we have contextual baggage that lets us do so anyways.

they are just thought experiments. Fun, but not practical.
Supposedly paradoxical questions—like this one—I feel do have practical use. They allow for individuals to learn by seeking answers beyond the obvious and by thinking outside the box.

I guess that's just because I feel thought experiments are practical in general, though indirectly. A difference of opinion, in essence.

EDIT

UNLESS, one of the options would arbitrarily be chosen as the right answer by the test taker, in which case it would be 25% regardless of what the actual answer was, since 1 answer out of 4 is 25% of the answers.
Hey, that's what I said! ;)

True. But it can be far more amusing to search for potential answers nevertheless., much as you did.

Well, you see, this question too is incomplete. You ask what has been eaten for breakfast, but you ask not which breakfast. It is only implied through temporal convention. So my point was just that sometimes we have to look past just the words and look at the intent behind the question.

That is not so much what I was trying to get at. Rather the opposite, in that though technically it is unanswerable, in practicality we have contextual baggage that lets us do so anyways.

Supposedly paradoxical questions—like this one—I feel do have practical use. They allow for individuals to learn by seeking answers beyond the obvious and by thinking outside the box.
Heh...

First passage: Yes, I did not say which breakfast. And yes, I did imply due to temporal convention by not asking "What did you have for breakfast yesterday? Which implied I was asking about today's breakfast... or, in other words, the last breakfast you had. Which... heh... may have been yesterday. But I have to say, your particular "question" implied... well, unclarity.

Second passage: And that "baggage" depends on the question, doesn't it?

Third passage (comp is about to shut down): Outside the box is all well and good, but if I can't find my pants, then I can't go out in public, right? Heh...

Status
Not open for further replies.