Paradox Question

Status
Not open for further replies.
2equals1.png

No need to make it so complicated. This one does the exact same thing that the other one does, even if it does it in cleaner math. It divides by zero!

It's pretty tricky to see, because variables and context, but when you have (a+b)(a-b)=b(a-b) and it simplifies to a+b=b, you are eliminating (a-b) by dividing it from both sides. However, no matter what numbers you put in there, a-b always is equal to 0. Which means in the process of eliminating it, you broke math!

There are, naturally, other, more complicated ways that you can show this doesn't work, but that's the simple answer that doesn't require anything above algebra one.

I'M NOT IN SCHOOL ANYMORE FOR A REASON GUYS! STOP MAKING ME DO MATH D: ESPECIALLY IMPOSSIBLE MATH! .... My head hurts T-T

Reactions: Gwazi Magnum
Keep going, Jorick. We've almost got an argument breaking out.

Math is better than you people. And this math is troll math. Feel bad. Fight back!

Keep going, Jorick. We've almost got an argument breaking out.

Math is better than you people. And this math is troll math. Feel bad. Fight back!
I've been trying, but apparently acting smug and superior and pointing out the flaws in the bullshit math problems was the wrong way to go. :(

We need @unanun.

*sets the Vulcan Koala Bear signal shining in the night sky*

Also, I hear that people in Africa don't do math, and that's why they're poor.

UUUGH TEGAN. UUUUUGH.

Uuuuugh.

We're getting a divorce!

I dunno.

What I do know, on the other hand, is:

1 + 2 + 3 + 4 + ... = -1/12

So what you're saying, Unanun, is that this is the Jews' fault?

I mean
they made math to count mad dollas so

Yes is the answer to that one.

Next question

#yolo

So what you're saying, Unanun, is that this is the Jews' fault?
Their success invites the ire of others.

I grew up in a jewish neighbourhood, so I would know.

Someone explain to me why the answer isn't B.

There are two answer choices for 25%, but you'd have a 50% chance of picking it at random; since 25 ≠ 50, it can't be A or D, and thus by process of elimination I am left with two answers, one of which must be correct, of which B is the most logical choice.

I'm aware that on its face, B seems incorrect because you only have a 25% chance of picking B which says 50%, but in the face of the fact that neither A nor D can possibly be the correct answer, those two options can effectively be eliminated which really only leaves B and C.

Paradoxes are so fun.

Last edited:

There are two answer choices for 25%, but you'd have a 50% chance of picking it at random; since 25 ≠ 50, it can't be A or D, and thus by process of elimination I am left with two answers, one of which must be correct, of which B is the most logical choice.

I'm aware that on its face, B seems incorrect because you only have a 25% chance of picking B which says 50%, but in the face of the fact that neither A nor D can possibly be the correct answer, those two options can effectively be eliminated which really only leaves B and C.

Paradoxes are so fun.
As it's a probability question, eliminating the answers changes the entire question. The probability distribution completely changes. The reason it's a paradox is because of the self-referential nature of the question, and because A) and D) are the same. Of course eliminating the very thing that makes it a paradox stops it from being a paradox.

Anyway, this question is stupid, as is everyone who keeps referring to it as "maths". Ugh. :(

Paradoxes are so fun.
That's the thing though, you can't actually use the process of elimination like that because it's purposely crafted to be paradoxical. You can't eliminated A or D because the circular logic of the problem makes them viable answers.

If the correct answer is B, then you have a 25% chance of picking it, thus meaning the correct answer is actually A or D. However, if the correct answer is A or D, then you have a 50% chance of picking the right answer, thus meaning the correct answer is actually B. Continue ad infinitum.

The only answer that can be eliminated is C, because you're not going to get a 60% probability with four possible answers. It's a nonsensical answer thrown in there just to pad it out. You could change it to three choices, A and C are 33%, B is 66%, and it's the same exact problem with the same exact paradoxical lack of a solution.

BUT I'VE WON CAN'T YOU SEE

Status
Not open for further replies.