Paradox Question

Status
Not open for further replies.
Clearly the best option is not to play at all!

>:C

Reactions: Lysander
paradox.gif

Whoops.​

@Asmodeus

I'll bet all my money that you don't even know the answer to this question. & if you answer this question you will say "Yes" & other stuff. But since you came to realize that I have just predicted your answer you will type in a "No" & other stuff. But, as you proceed in reading my post, you will be confused to what you are going to say.

Your Options are:

A. No (50%)
B. Yes (50%)

No more Options cane be added.

Problem Paradox Guy?
ONE HOUR AGO

"Cool, a math problem in General. There is no fucking way anyone could turn math into something that could be conceived or mistaken as mean-spirited or sarcastic."

Guess my math isn't the only thing that's wrong.

I'm going to chose ABD

for 100% chance to be right.

That's right, I added them up.

Whatcha gonna do 'bout that?

@MelodiousLime - you seem a little angry and vindictive.

I saw a math problem on YouTube that confused me, and decided to share it with my friends on Iwaku, to see what jokes and fun we could have with it.

I'm not sure why you're taking that attitude. And even if you respond that you are joking, the joke wasn't really in context.

So you're either

A) Crazy
B) Angry

So...er.... yeah. Just relax. This thread doesn't make you any less of a man/woman/cheesecake.

@Asmodeus Nope, I'm not mad. You think I'm mad but the text probably besy shown that my post is mad. I was just maybe trying to predict the next one :P

Sorry if I seemingly acted Agressive. Peace :P

*squints*

....yes.

FUCK MATH AND PARADOXES.

*flips a table!*

• Love
I'm just going to say that over all, the question is giving us 110% and thus it's now an athlete or it's now imploding on itself.

The question now is, is it imploding, or is it doing sports?

I'll flip a coin then pick it up.

That way I'm not out any money.

It's a win win!

The answer is simple: fuck this question and its purposeful paradox created through insufficient data. This is just like that one problem that shows up now and then (48÷2(9+3) = ?) where it's one of two answers depending on whether you go straight order of operations or use the distributive property, and neither can be known as correct for sure because of lack of data. Damned troll math nonsense. :lol:
I do, in fact, have a problem with this. That's a really shitty version of showing 2=1, because instead of using real math in nonsense ways it totally fucks up and breaks math rules on the last step.

Here's a better version of showing 2=1.

2equals1.png

• Thank You
Reactions: Gwazi Magnum
The answer is simple: fuck this question and its purposeful paradox created through insufficient data. This is just like that one problem that shows up now and then (48÷2(9+3) = ?) where it's one of two answers depending on whether you go straight order of operations or use the distributive property, and neither can be known as correct for sure because of lack of data. Damned troll math nonsense. :lol:

I do, in fact, have a problem with this. That's a really shitty version of showing 2=1, because instead of using real math in nonsense ways it totally fucks up and breaks math rules on the last step.

2equals1.png
My math is a bit rusty, so I don't entirely understand what's going on during the fourth and fifth one down, could you please explain it to me?

The answer is pretty obvious if you just run through all of the possibilities without worrying about any kind of apparent paradox.

Scenario 1: you pick answer A, which is 25%. The probability of picking this answer is 50%, making this answer incorrect.
Scenario 2: you pick answer B, which is 50%. The probability of picking this answer is 25%, making this answer incorrect.
Scenario 3: you pick answer C, which is 60%. The probability of picking this answer is 25%, making this answer incorrect.
Scenario 4: you pick answer D, which is 25%. The probability of picking this answer is 50%, making this answer incorrect.

The probability of picking a correct answer is 0%.

My math is a bit rusty, so I don't entirely understand what's going on during the fourth and fifth one down, could you please explain it to me?
The fourth line is using the distributive property, sort of in reverse, to get the bits in parentheses that it needs to do its shenanigans. It's making the equation more complex instead of simplifying it. If you do the math to simplify the stuff on the fourth line, you'll end up with what's on the third line.

The fifth line just subtracted (a-b) from both sides of the equation, and it removed the parentheses from the a+b on the left side because they became unnecessary.

• Thank You
Reactions: Hatsune Candy
The fourth line is using the distributive property, sort of in reverse, to get the bits in parentheses that it needs to do its shenanigans. It's making the equation more complex instead of simplifying it. If you do the math to simplify the stuff on the fourth line, you'll end up with what's on the third line.

The fifth line just subtracted (a-b) from both sides of the equation, and it removed the parentheses from the a+b on the left side because they became unnecessary.
Ah, yes, I see it now, thanks for clarifying. Man, I haven't done proper algebra since, like, my sophomore year of high school.

Grade 10-11 Math is where my grades started to slip.
Still passed, but I was getting C's instead of A's.

That's what happens when you use your own formula's to solve Grade 9 problems rather than learning the ones your teacher was trying to show/prepare you for.

2equals1.png
This only functions if a is zero, undefined, or some unreal number. It isn't allowed to be anything else.

It's like √(a2​)=a. If a=-1, this is untrue.

Or even better, loga​ c=b, where c=0. If a<1, then b must be infinite. If a>1, then b must be infinitely negative. If a=1, then b is not even a real number. These laws of mathematics have exceptions that must be left out, certain values that a variable cannot be.

Also, I guess this applies to the original problem as well, but I'm on page two, so meh effort.

This only functions if a is zero, undefined, or some unreal number. It isn't allowed to be anything else.

It's like √(a2​)=a. If a=-1, this is untrue.

Or even better, loga​ c=b, where c=0. If a<1, then b must be infinite. If a>1, then b must be infinitely negative. If a=1, then b is not even a real number. These laws of mathematics have exceptions that must be left out, certain values that a variable cannot be.

Also, I guess this applies to the original problem as well, but I'm on page two, so meh effort.
Yeah, you can tear apart any of these nonsense math things with real math. They jump through a lot of hoops to be able to end up with a stupid answer that appears to be legitimate. :P

Status
Not open for further replies.