Opal Moon and Silver Fur (catalyst and Diana)

He whirled on her so suddenly that her first reaction was a soft hrmph! and to throw her arms down straight at her sides. Oralia half expected him to be all teeth and snapping, so at first she blinked back at him in confusion until she realized he was demanding to see where she was bleeding.

There was no sense in saying she wasn't. A wolf would know!

"It-" she faltered, clamping her mouth shut with a frown at the lump that was getting ever harder to swallow. Having him acknowledge it even existed was dragging up all of things she desperately wanted to keep buried, gone and forgotten. After taking in a deep shaky breath, she stared straight at his chest, putting on that imperious air again.

"It's not from tonight, it's old and I'm fine. If it bothers-" her voice almost cracked, but she stubbornly forced herself through it and pointed behind her. "If it bothers you can stay a few steps farther back."

"I can still smell it. Doesn't matter if I'm behind you." Dyami crossed his arms as he stared down at Ori. If she didn't want to talk about it, fine. It didn't smell like a lot of blood - at least, not an amount he had to be concerned about at this minute. It wasn't like he was being forthright about his own wounds.

Yep, she certainly didn't want to budge on the matter. Sighing, the man uncrossed his arms and shook his head. "If the bleeding doesn't stop soon, you're going to show me," he ordered. "Until then... you can keep walking?" His tone had softened some. "You truly feel fine?"

Oh, why did he have to ask it like that? Her entire imperious façade broke and a few tears escape, but at least not too far before she wiped quickly at her cheeks with the heel of her hands, really only succeeding in smearing more dirt all over her face. Oralia nodded at first, wordlessly affirming she could keep walking.

Then at the question of if she were truly fine, the corner of her mouth twitched and for the briefest of seconds she looked ready to burst into tears. Oralia shook her head no, yet didn't elaborate, at least not until she'd twisted up the hem of her cloak sleeve and had wrestled down most of the intense emotions that had her heart trying to thump it's way through her chest.

Once she could manage to take a deep breath without it quaking, she finally lifted her eyes up to his and squared her shoulders with that now familiar stubborn determination.

"I just want to get somewhere safer," she squeaked softly. "As quickly as we possibly can?"

• Sympathy & Compassion
Reactions: catalyst
Wait, was she... crying?? Oh, dear. Oh, no.

Dyami shifted uncomfortably. He'd never been good with tears. Never knew what to say to make someone feel better. He opened his mouth to say something, anything, but didn't get a word in as Ori hid her face and fought her emotions. Maybe that had been a good thing, because when she looked back up at him, it was with resolve... something he couldn't guarantee would've resulted from his pep talk.

Even if her voice didn't quite fit.

"Listen, I'm sorry if I frightened ya back there. I didn't... I didn't want it to go that far, but we couldn't risk it." He rubbed the back of his neck. "The fastest way would be - well, would be if I shifted again. And you ride on my back."

He put a gentle hand on her shoulder, albeit somewhat awkwardly, if only to show that he could be gentle. "You have no reason to fear me. I'm in total control. But I understand if you prefer human me." He offered a smile. "I could even carry you on my back now. That way your mouse feet don't tire from keeping up."

Oralia wasn't so sure about his smile now that she knew it could be filled with rows of sharp pointy teeth. But she didn't shirk away when he laid his hand on her shoulder. ...possibly because he was quite awkwardly teasing her again. There was a slight frown on her face as she squinted her eyes and looked at him, really looked at him. Maybe if she examined his face enough she could see down into his soul.

He thought she was frightened of him, and in truth that would likely be the wise thing. But he'd taken care of her when she was nothing but a lost woodling and then saved her life. Oralia owed him more than just her gratitude. That would take some time to accomplish.

"...you are no wild boar, but I suppose a giant wolf would do just as well." she finally responded. Though she still appeared to be holding back her tears, at least now the tone of her voice seemed lighter.

• Haha
A smirk broke across Dyami's face and his hand dropped. "Is that an insult?" He stroked his chin. "No, you're right. Boars are much more stubborn than wolves. But don't misunderstand - you have yet to tame me." He gave Ori a wink before stepping back a few paces.

"Hold on tight, but try not to rip out all my fur, yeah? I'm rather proud of my coat and I don't need any taunting from my pack over bald spots."

Ready as they ever would be, Dyami set what stuff he carried beside Ori. Then, he focused on the transformation.... and shifted back to his wolf form once more. Glowing, pale green eyes returned, and cuts from blades were more clearly seen via small patches of red. He waited a few moments for Ori to process what was happening before slowly lowering himself, offering her his back. But not before nodding his head towards the pile of clothes on the ground. Those she would have to stuff in the pack.

Last edited:
He belonged to an entire pack of wolves! Were they too out at random camps in the forest, or were they in the village home he spoke of? That train of thought derailed when he shifted forms. Oralia wasn't sure what she expected - maybe the popping of bones and something grotesque. It seemed the nature of magic was more along the lines of blurring the world in such a quick shift that at one moment there was a man and the next... a wolf!

A naked wolf. He'd shifted right out of his clothes!

Her face felt warm, even as she snatched up his clothes from the ground and quickly tucked them away into the pack. Now that she was actually faced with the idea of riding a giant wolf, it seemed daunting. Especially when she realized the red spots in his fur were wounds from the fight. Having him carry her wasn't such a kind thing to do.

But Oralia didn't want to spend another moment exposed in the forest. Next time they may not be lucky.

She hefted everything she could carry onto her back and then quite carefully climbed onto his back. The fur was much softer than she expected and he practically radiated heat.

"I am ready? Do not throw me down a ravine, I won't ever forgive you!"

If he was still human, Dyami would've laughed. But as a wolf, a soft growl rumbled from his chest instead. With Ori atop of him, he slowly stood on all four legs.

If she'd been well - no injuries and hadn't just shed a few tears - he would have taken off in a sprint. Fortunately for the human woman, he did no such thing. He began with a walk, allowing Ori some time to adjust, before slowly breaking into a trot. It was only when she seemed more secure and confident in her rather firm grasp that he started running. She asked for the fastest way and this was it. Though, he didn't run full speed. He wasn't insane.

Dyami ran and ran. He only slowed when he needed to catch a breath or if Ori stopped him. He did make it a point to check on her every so often. It seemed like her wound stopped bleeding, but that didn't mean she didn't feel ill or fatigued.

It was noon when they reached the small village, hours before initially expected. They'd been traveling the main dirt road for at least an hour, and Dyami had stopped running an hour before that. As buildings came to view, he turned his head to check on Ori, wondering if she'd be happy to see the human settlement... or semi-human anyway. He was happy to enter as they were, but maybe she had other thoughts.

Oralia hadn't thought she'd find joy in anything ever again, yet there was something wonderfully wild and free about riding a running wolf. It was a bit more precarious than riding saddle on a horse, and it would've been easier if she weren't so tired and sore, but Oralia found it absolutely delightful.

Once the village came into view, her feelings of elation simmered down to apprehension. Oralia spent her whole life in the castle, never having the chance to travel or even visit the local towns. Before the castle fell, there were plans in motion for her to finally traverse the world as a representative of Kosogaria, to get her education as a royal noble and make connections with other kingdoms. It was supposed to be exciting and now it just felt so big and overwhelming.

And she wasn't so sure trotting into a town with a giant wolf was such a wise idea either.

She reached forward to gently pat him on the head, and couldn't resist the pet of an ear while she was at it.

"You're not afraid for them to see you?" she asked curiously, though she wasn't sure he could really answer her as a wolf. "Is your village also your pack of wolves?"

Although the pat and rub was unexpected, Dyami couldn't deny they felt pleasant. Still, he'd have to tease Ori later. He shook his head in response to her first question, a nod for her second.

Linvharis was unique in that it was almost solely made up of werewolves. Not everyone was one; sometimes the shifting gene wasn't passed on, but they were still considered part of the pack. Other folk who resided in the werewolf village usually moved there after marrying into a family or after having already established strong connections with Linvharis residents. While trade was welcome and strangers were free to come and go, the village was a little wary and thus it was rare for those strangers to stay. The werewolves, after all, had a duty in protecting the forest.

Truth be told, Dyami was surprised they hadn't encountered any other werewolves on their journey. He expected a stronger presence in the forest, but perhaps the elders decided to withdraw in hopes of not drawing the Rukae's attention.

That was what he hoped for anyway. At the very least, nothing seemed to be amiss as they approached. Bustling village life could be heard as they approached. He didn't smell ash and rotting corpses.

Gods be praised.

Although half the village likely knew he'd returned, Dyami had no wish to be in the spotlight with a strange, bloody woman on his back. Instead of following the main road into the front entrance, he headed down a less delineated path and acknowledged the few people that happened to be walking along. Eventually, they stopped in front of a small timber cottage and Ori climbed down from the wolf mount. He stretched before fetching his clothes from the pack. He tried to tell Ori to stay put as he rounded the home.

It was only a couple of minutes later he returned, human and clothed. "Let's get you inside and fed, yeah? Before we're swarmed."

Oralia had stayed put where he left her, peering up and down the small side street. She seemed to be drifting back and forth between being incredibly curious and warily cautious. Danger could be around every corner, especially when he so casually mentioned being swarmed. But with the nature of the village, seeming so quaint and quiet... she wanted nothing more than to explore.

Food, and rest and a potential bath turned out to be far more enticing though.

She nodded seriously in agreement, pausing just long enough to dig into her cloak and down the front of her dress until she produced a small ring. Small at least in terms of band size. The strip of gold was inlaid with a sapphire that must have looked comically large on her fingers, accompanied by two smaller emeralds on each side. Oralia held it out for him.

"You can have this. For bringing me here and feeding me. It isn't coins, but it is enough?"

Grey eyes stared down at the ring before slowly meeting Ori's. He didn't know much about jewelry, but he knew a fine piece of work when he saw one. It was, at the very least, worth two months' wages. And although he could already feel his mother slapping him silly for declining such a ring, he had to refuse.

"No, keep it." He waved his hand. "It's too much, so save it for somethin' more important." Hopefully, she wouldn't become more desperate than she already was, but just in case she found herself in a pinch...

"Now, I know w-"

Dyami paused. He quickly looked towards the door, and suddenly it swung open, a woman with the same grey eyes pushing through. Frantic, she looked from Ori.... to Dyami, who held his forehead in his hand. The people they ran into earlier... they probably ran off to Honovi and tattled.

The woman straightened, but it wasn't enough resolve to clear the burning in her eyes.

"You thought you could just waltz back here without seeing your mother??" Her voice was stern as she closed the gap between her and her son. Dyami had enough grace to look away in mild guilt. At around 5'8", Honovi was shorter than Dyami but capable of knocking his head with a mother's gentle firmness. But then she cupped his cheek, guiding his eyes back to hers. Couldn't find the will to voice her biggest fear.

"I'm alive, ma. I'm okay." Dyami reassured as he held the hand on his cheek. He offered a smile. "And I'm sorry for not going straight to ya, but I... had to take care of something - someone." He looked towards Ori and his mother followed.

"Yes, I... heard." She looked at the blood-stained dress. "Heavens, girl! What have you been through!?"

"It's a war, ma. Leave her be. I was just about to fetch us a meal, then draw up a bath for her."

"Here??" Her mother whirled on her son.

"I wasn't going to stay!" Dyami defended. Honovi rolled her eyes and Dyami's head found his hand again.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: Diana
Dyami had brought her to his mother's home? The safest place he could think of was with his mother. That might possibly been the most adorable and wonderful thing Oralia had ever seen in her life... but as she watched them interact, there was also a sharp pang deep in her chest. Her own mother was gone now and--

and she absolutely could not think about that! Not ever again!

Luckily their conversation had brought her back to the present, as it seemed Dyami mentioned drawing a bath for her which had Oralia flushing three shades of red about the same moment his mother sounded completely scandalized.

"..but you do mean you will be back? You are not going to leave leave?" she interjected quickly, not realizing there was a slight hint of panic in her tone.

Both eyes turned to Ori. While Dyami was a little taken aback, his mother almost melted at the poor girl's distress. From the looks of it, she had been through so much... and if her son brought her here, there must've been a good reason.

"'Course not," Honovi answered for him. "I'll go get the food for us. You-"

"Us?" Dyami repeated.

"Yes, us. I'll be the one to go and - well, with how tiny you are," she gestured to Ori, "you'll only drown in my clothes. I'll be back with food and something that fits." Knowing there was no room for argument, Dyami didn't make a sound. On second thought, he felt relieved that his mother would stay. It might help Ori feel more comfortable with another woman around.

While Dyami began heating water for the bath, Honovi was quick to bring ready-to-eat food, and an extra pair of clothes that came from a friend's child. As they ate, she brought the pair up to speed. With news of the Rukae invasion and coup, forest patrol was concentrated closer to the village and it was only recently decided that they would start expanding their line. Resources were more limited since trade was slow if not completely on hold - which was still the case for most routes. But the village was fine for now.

The bath was ready faster than Ori was probably used to, thanks to the werewolves' superhuman strength. Dyami awkwardly cleared his throat, preparing to excuse himself. "Ma, she wouldn't show me but there's a wound on her neck." He looked to Ori with brows raised. "Enjoy your three baths. I'll be back," he promised. And then he was gone, the door shut and locked behind him.

Honovi's brows furrowed as she faced the younger woman. "Three baths? What - oh. You probably could use an extra rinse, couldn't you?" Hearing his mother from outside, Dyami smiled. 'Good luck,' he wished to Ori.

"That's what the extra buckets are for, don't worry. Now." Honovi crossed her arms. "There's no need to be shy, but I'll busy myself if you don't want my help. But I will see that wound he was talking about. We need to make sure it hasn't festered."

"He was only being quite rude," Oralia said in defense. Rude indeed to infer her stench in front of his mother, though Oralia almost welcomed the teasing compared to news about the Rukae and the state of the village. She'd been silent through the conversation, telling herself she didn't care and it didn't have anything to do with her anymore. Yet she found herself wondering, what would be their next step? The castle was taken and the royal family gone, would the Rukae push on through the rest of the country to stripe it of everything it had? This village and towns beyond wouldn't be safe. The farms and all of the people in between.

Oralia found herself scowling just thinking about it, and it wouldn't do to have Dyami's mother think she was a grouchy monster. Again, she tried to push it all out of her head.

The sound of festered certainly abolished any protesting Oralia would've done too.

"I only didn't want him to fuss when it wasn't safe in the forest anymore," she tried to explain. First Oralia slipped off her ruined shoes, then removed her cloak and draped it over a stool. Her tattered dress of green silk went next but she hesitated with her under garments. Oralia had plenty of attends assisting her with dressing and baths, so that wasn't so troubling... but she was covered in cuts, scratches and bruises. Somehow that felt so much more vulnerable to share.

Decided to just do it quickly, she tossed off the ruined bits of silk and lace then climbed into the tub. Oralia disappeared under the water to fully submerged her hair only to pop back up a moment later and push wet tendrils out of her face.

With a heavy sign she finally untied the strips of fabric she wound around her neck as a make-shift bandage. Across the base of her neck was a line of red, thankfully not so deep to have cut any vital arteries, but it definitely hadn't been tended to properly.

"He can be a fusser, in his own way," Honovi agreed with a small smile. While she didn't stare as the other, Ori, undressed, she saw enough to notice her hesitation at stripping the final layer of clothing. She looked away for a little while, but eventually her eyes returned. Once Ori was in the tub, she pulled up a wooden stool and sat. Ori removed the now soaking wet fabric from her neck.

The wound wasn't just a wound. Not a scratch, not an accidental lashing. A gash - a slit intended to end her life.

A miracle it hadn't. Especially as it wasn't fresh.

No wonder Ori didn't want to show anyone.

Collecting herself, Honovi gently touched the skin around the gash. "It could be worse," she answered the silent question hanging in the air. "But it needs more than a piece of fabric. We'll salve it, put a fresh bandage on, and... if you'd like, keep it covered with a real scarf." Though she might not even need one. If the dress' collar wasn't high enough, she would more than likely be wearing a coat most of the time with winter setting in.

"Let me wash your hair, love. And you can tell me how you and my son wound up together." Through the meal, nobody brought up how they'd met, and Honovi didn't ask. She knew Dyami wouldn't give her the amount of detail she desired. But Ori just might.

There was a bit of wincing involved, but Oralia didn't make a complaint of pain, she merely nodded her head seriously in agreement to the comments about it then turned in the tub so the woman could reach her hair.

Oralia found a bar of soap and gave it a good sniff. Lye and herbs, nothing more and it felt a bit scratchy along her skin compared to the soft bars she was used to, but in this case she welcome the feeling. Who knew how long it would take the hot water and soap to scrape away the layers on layers of dirt and dried blood. She was already scrubbing as hard as she could stand, only being mindful when she got too near deep cuts or a particularly painful bruise.

"I am a wild woodling and I found his camp in the forest. He was kind enough to share his food and fire with me... He's refused to take one of my rings, so I think I might have to hunt him some morel mushrooms instead."

Her rings were still hidden in the tiny folds of her dress, but it made her pause suddenly and frown. He'd told her to hide or burn her sash! Did that mean he know she was the Princess of Kosogaria? Yet he hadn't said another word about it. Perhaps he only suspected she was a lost noble and realized it was indeed best to let her stay lost.

"Are you also a wolf?" she asked, daring to peek over her shoulder at Honovi. "I didn't know wolves lived in villages."

Honovi was glad Ori couldn't see her face. A wild woodling? She didn't actually expect anyone to believe that, did she? Surely Dyami didn't. Finding a small thing in their woods - and it was their woods, so they would've known of any woodlings prancing about - and taking pity on it... well, that was more believable for her son to do.

The older woman took care in rinsing away what blood and dirt she could from Ori's dark locks. Then she began slathering her hands in soap and working it through the scalp. "Wolves don't. Werewolves do. Or wolf-shifters, changelings - whatever people call us. We've been here for centuries. Maybe longer." Hopefully, Ori would realize she'd have to come up with a better lie than simply being a woodling in a forest she didn't even know was protected by the werewolves of Linvharis.

"First time you've seen one of us, then? I heard you entered town on Dyami's back... most people run when they see our wolf forms. Even Dyami's form is rather large standing among the rest of our pack."

"I know a great many things, but not yet about people and places... I was supposed to learn." she explained, trying not to feel too embarrassed about her lack of true knowledge on shifters. There were a hundred things a princess needed to be educated on first, and if she had the chance to travel or go on to university, she would have learned in time. Now it just seemed she would have to learn a different way.

"And I have seen something far more fearsome than the likes of him before I lived in the woods. I thought if I must die, then by wolf would be preferable." There was no false bravado in the statement, or even a hint of doubt in her tone. Oralia had truly seen things more frightening than any giant wolf. Even now if she dared closed her eyes she might see the glowing red eyes and scales.

"He was friendlier than the boars, in any case," she finally said, shrugged her shoulders before peering at Honovi again. "Your son is kind. I owe him much. More than I have to give right now, I think. But I will try."

• Sweet
Honovi listened with open ears. Ori spoke of witnessing horrors beyond a werewolf and she believed her. The elder had never been in a battle before. Breaking up brawls here and there, yes, but... violence beyond killing animals for sustenance? She thanked the gods every day for not being a warrior and prayed for her son's safety twice as often.

And when Ori spoke of Dyami, Honovi paused to take a good look at her clean face when they met eyes once more. So many things she could tell this young woman, and so many things she could ask... but who was she to pry? It wasn't her place, at least not in this moment when all Ori should do was rest and recover.

"I apologize if I insinuated anything unfairly," she finally said after a moment. Ori hadn't owed her an explanation. "Much as I might disagree," she began rinsing Ori's hair, changing the atmosphere to something lighter, "my son rarely asks for anything in return. Kind, yes. A stubborn fool, almost always. He seems to like you, at least. Most unfortunate about the circumstances, but he hasn't brought home a woman in years."

Dyami could come after her all he wanted for that tease. She'd never pass the opportunity to meddle and plant a seed for the future she hoped would, one day, come true for her son.

Last edited: