Opal Moon and Silver Fur (catalyst and Diana)

Diana

LOOK HOW CALM SHE IS
Original poster
ADMINISTRATOR
MYTHICAL MEMBER
Invitation Status
  1. Not accepting invites at this time
Posting Speed
  1. 1-3 posts per week
  2. Slow As Molasses
Online Availability
10AM - 10PM Daily
Writing Levels
  1. Adaptable
Preferred Character Gender
  1. Female
Genres
Romance, Supernatural, Fantasy, Thriller, Space Exploration, Slice of Life
Snow was on the horizon. Despite the heavy cover of evergreen trees and leafless oaks, she could see the dark grey clouds through the break of branches that loomed far above. Nights were getting bitterly cold and come morning she would find herself covered in a fine layer of frost. If it weren't for the heavy cloak she'd salvaged out of a burning barn on her frantic escape to the forest, she might've frozen to death several nights ago. Two weeks in the forest and she'd yet to make a fire herself.

Though food was her main concern now. Precious few things were forageable in the woods now. The last of the autumn flora was quickly disappearing to hoarding creatures stocking up for the incoming winter. She had a knife on her, but the thought of capturing and killing herself a small animal to eat filled her with so much dread, that she'd not had the bravery to do it.

Being squeamish wasn't something she could afford to do forever.

The faint scent of smoke caught her attention and she ducked down behind a tree to listen to the woods. A smoke meant a camp was nearby, which could be good news... but she'd almost stumbled over a soldier's camp once already. They might've worn Kosogaria armor, and held Kosogaria weapons... they were no knights of hers. Their eyes were as red as demons and to look upon them gave her the shivers.

Inching through the underbrush as quiet as any mouse, she followed the smoke until she found it's origin. A small encampment... The fire was almost out and a bag lay against a tree. It couldn't belong to more than one or two persons. Stealing was not something she wanted to do, but at this point she was desperate to survive!

Thus creeping warily, she snuck towards the bag to rifle through it, hoping to find some sort of food at the very least. If not, perhaps she would take a small branch out of the fire and finally have some heat of her own.

Kosogaria's forest wasn't the largest, but it was big enough to get lost in - at least for those who strayed off the well-trodden paths. Most came to the kingdom in pursuit of its rare ore with its capital, Kosaria, acting as the trading hub. Despite the war brewing between the two kingdoms Kosogaria was unfortunate enough to lay between, it remained fairly active and peaceful. Even the rural villages benefited from the traveling merchants and occasional refugees.

The village of Linvharis, Dyami's home, welcomed what people they could without gaining the ire of any kingdom, including its own. More recently, however, there'd been whispers of conflict approaching Kosogaria's borders. There had been many whispers over the years of the war finally spilling into their kingdom, and while most didn't believe it would happen, Dyami was sent to trade for ore. Just in case.

Dyami himself was no stranger to violence, but... nothing could have prepared him for what he witnessed in Kosaria that day. The streets were bathed in blood and ash, and the royal family was murdered. Everything was upended in the blink of an eye.

Two weeks passed, and Dyami finally had his chance to get home. While nerves fought to overwhelm his senses, no news about Linvharis reached his ears. He prayed that meant it was still standing.

Trekking through the forest came naturally since he knew it like the back of his hand. Even if he didn't, the perks of being a werewolf made up for it and then some.

The shitty part was... not everyone was born with such an advantage. So when he smelled a very human scent approaching his makeshift camp, Dyami decided he'd watch from the shadows.

From his vantage point, he couldn't make the face, but the figure was small enough to be a kid. If he was right, just a girl - probably an orphan.

How she managed to survive with nothing but the dirty cloak on her back was astonishing. He himself had warm, leather armor and a thick cape lined with fur.

Before the kid could dig much more through his bag, Dyami stepped out from behind her, keeping a comfortable distance away as he crossed his arms in an almost chastising manner. "Why're you alone out here, kid?"

Oralia froze. She was so certain she'd been paying attention to the noises of the forest, but still hadn't heard him sneak back into the camp. Did that mean he was a skilled soldier? He seemed to have assume she was a child, which itself wasn't a surprise. Her stature barely scratched close to five feet.

Hesitant she straightened up, smoothing her hands over the old cloak as she dared to steal a look at him. Oh no, it was no wonder he thought her a child! He was as tall as a mountain himself! With a scruffy face and eyes the same cool grey that she and many in Kosogaria seemed to have, Oralia at least had the relief to know he wasn't a soldier. Even so, her hands subconsciously went up the delicate strip of fabric she'd ripped off her dress to wrap around her neck. That memory was still fresh and she couldn't be sure of who to trust.

"I live here in the forest," she finally answered, trying to sound as bold as possible only to find that going two weeks without speaking had made her voice a little croaky. Though, it may have been undercut by the way her eyes darted around looking for the best possible direction to run in if he decided to try and capture her.

"Why are you alone out here, sir? The forest is dangerous."

Definitely not a kid. Dyami blinked in mild surprise as he assessed the woman. She wore nothing but a flimsy dress - fine silk now ruined - that surely wasn't warm, and the dirty cape that was likely her only real source of warmth. He even managed to catch a glimpse of the torn fabric around her neck before she looked away again. Maybe it was a makeshift scarf? Was she even wearing boots? From what he could see, she carried no satchel or coin purse - not even a weapon unless she knew how to hide one.

But she didn't look the sort. The one look he got of her, and he didn't think she could even muster the courage to swat a spider.

No, the wildness in the woman's eyes didn't come from a threat waiting to pounce. Dyami had seen that look enough to know where it came from. He saw it in the eyes of a son who fled with his mother after the sacrifice of his father, and in the eyes of an elder bookseller after her shop - her life's work - was left in shattered glass and splintered wood.

There was always a chance of it being a trick - a weak, beautiful woman luring out those with bleeding hearts to be ambushed by thieves in the shadows. Or she could be stronger than she looked, a thief in her own right.

But she was too nervous for it to be a trick. And the werewolf hadn't smelled, heard, or seen any evidence of an ambush.

"The forest is dangerous, yet you live here?" Dyami repeated. Well, he wasn't expecting her to answer truthfully. At least she had the wits to try to lie.

He slowly walked around the site to approach her from the side. "Mind telling me which way is northeast, then?" Okay, she might have the wits, but he couldn't deny the pleasure of seeing how well she could lie. "Got a bit lost myself. Don't wanna stay here much longer with Rukae soldiers surely closing in." They weren't exactly closing in. He was still fine to roam for likely another day or two, but he didn't want to find out what type of patrol he'd encounter. Rukae soldiers were known to be... more ruthless than their counterparts, and patrolling the woods for people fleeing were typically given to either duds who couldn't do anything right, or the soldiers who had to let off some steam.

And he had to get home. He had to make sure everyone was safe.

Reactions: Diana
As he circled around the fire, she made a few deliberate steps off to the side as well, a hint of velvet slippers peeping out from under her skirts and cloak. Once a fair amount of distance had been maintained, she glanced up towards the sky. Oralia was familiar with constellations and could hazard a guess if she could see the stars, but between the tree branches and the grey skies, there was not a star to be seen.

"What would a wild woodling need to know of north and east. I know where the food is. That is all I need." she murmured in response.

At the knowledge that Rukae soldiers were indeed still nearby and patroling the forests, her heart started beating a mile per minute. So hard Oralia could almost hear the stuttering thumps. Having her throat cut would've been the best way to die when it came to Rukae tactics. They were known to cut chunks of meat off a person and eat it, as their victims watched screaming. That was not even the worst of it!

Her hands went to her stomach then, fighting off a wave of nausea just at the thought. Oh, but she needed to keep her senses. A strange in the woods could be just as dangerous if she weren't smart about it.

"Since you have invaded my forest, the least you can do is pay me favor..." she suggested. Slowly she pointed a finger at the fire. "One branch to take and I will be on my way. Deny me and you may have very bad luck in this forest."

"What would a wild woodling need to know of north and east. I know where the food is. That is all I need."

Dyami only smiled.

He didn't follow too far around the campsite, letting her stop at a comfortable distance away from him. The news of the Rukae didn't seem to sit well with her, as he expected. And when she began to suggest a bargain, well... he supposed that was only natural. Crossed arms dropped to instead clasp behind his back as he followed her finger and looked to the fire.

"A branch?" A brow rose, and this time he had to fight the smile. After a moment, he turned back to the woman. This time, his eyes caught the dried blood staining the scarf around her neck, but they didn't linger. "I invaded your woods-" oh, the irony, "and you want a branch?"

He went back the way he came and grabbed something from the ground. "Tell you what. In return for you pardoning my intrusion," he said in a mockingly formal tone as he turned back towards her, "I'll share this rabbit I hunted just before I caught you ransacking my things." He took a seat by the fire.

"Would it not be safer?" Dyami tested. "Since all sorts of creatures and beasts roam these woods... or is that how you've managed to live out here - by breaking bread with the fangs and claws?"

A rabbit. Real cooked food! Her stomach almost growled just at the thought of it. Oralia considered this counter offer very carefully. She could go a few more days without a real meal, but if snow were to fall, she'd freeze in the night. The dusty old cloak she wore wouldn't be enough, even if she found a hollowed out tree to climb into.

He didn't seem to be too dangerous, at least. Perhaps if she spun a few more tales about being a woodling, he'd take her for a fae and not dare to start any trouble.

"I could charm any beast with fangs and claws," she replied first. Oralia dare to inch closer, finding herself a reasonable spot near the fire - not too close - just close enough she could have some rabbit once it was ready, but enough distance she could still spring to her feet and run if necessary. She pulled her knees up to her chest and wrapped her arms around her legs to help curl herself into a warm ball under her cloak.

"There are early frost mushrooms and late berries if you know where to look. Nut trees too if the squirrels haven't hoarded them first. If you follow deer, they always seem to find something to eat. Boars not so much. They will chase you straight across the forest if you stumble into their nest."

"Oh?" Dyami rose a brow as he began skinning the rabbit. Despite his cool exterior, there was a boyish giddy building within him. The woman hadn't quite caught onto the game he was playing - or maybe she had and this was her playing him. At the very least, he felt better that she took his offer to eat. By her words, it sounded like she hadn't gotten a decent meal for a while. Nuts and berries... heavens above, that was scavenger's food. Certainly not for woodlings - true woodlings anyway.

As he skinned the rabbit, the work quick and skillful, the dark-haired male briefly wondered if she'd been living in the forest since the invasion. She was clearly wealthy enough to never needing to start a fire of her own. Who needed a burning branch... in a forest.... full of wood? And her eyes were landing anywhere except on the butchering scene.

But who was she? A noble's daughter? Some aristocrat?

.... Did it really matter?

But he couldn't just leave her out here alone!

"... Boars not so much. They will chase you straight across the forest if you stumble into their nest."

Dyami paused and looked over to the woman. "Something tells me you have first-hand experience."

The warm fire was so nice, that for a moment she didn't respond. Her eyes fell closed as she rested her chin on her knees and just soaked up the precious heat. Oralia could almost feel her fingers again! When she did open her eyes again, she found it difficult to look his way, even when she was tempted to give him an examining squint. Oralia couldn't bear to watch the rabbit lose it's furry skin, or else she might not have the heart to eat it. She needed to eat it.

Fresh red blood was no help, either. It reared up ugly, tormenting images in her head that needed to be locked away and never thought of again. Thus she watched the fire and the way the flames would dance, and where the shadows fell across the ground or flickered in the trees.

"Fangs and claws may be easy to charm, but tusk and hoof not so much," she admitted with a hint of amusement in her voice. Shifting position, her arm appeared out from under her cloak. There was a jagged tear through the patterned cream silk and underneath was an equally long red cut down her arm. With the cloak displaced, it was easy to see her full attire and how it was covered shoulder to hem with stains of blood, smears of dirt, and jagged tears in the green silk. Around her waist was a cornflower blue sash with gold embroidery of the Kosogaria regalia.

"I tumbled right down a steep hill! The silly thing tried to follow me down and ended up rolling just as much. Too embarrassed to chase me after that, I think. Very undignified for a boar."

Reactions: catalyst
Dyami opened his mouth to say something but closed it after a moment's thought. The stranger had a point; taming dogs was nothing compared to, say, taming horses. And why would anyone choose a horse over a dog anyway?

As the woman moved, the werewolf was pulled from his thoughts at the sight of even more red. He smelled the blood on her earlier, but seeing just how much stained her dress - he could barely tell which color it was originally - made it clear it wasn't all hers. If it was, she wouldn't be there making jokes about boars.

But what cool grey eyes caught next made time slow.

A very specific shade of blue hung about her waist. Okay, nothing to fret over; it was the color most often associated with Kosogaria, and thus the most often worn color in the kingdom. So, it wasn't all that strange that a woodling wore it.

Only, the blue was stitched with the royal insignia, and she wasn't a woodling. Dyami glanced at the fabric around her neck.

Oh, what had he stumbled upon??

Before she could catch him staring, Dyami averted his eyes and skinned the last of the rabbit. "Boars are smart creatures. I'm sure chasing you away was worth the damage to its ego," he teased, not wanting her to think anything was amiss.

After skewering the rabbit and posting it in the flames to cook, he began cleaning up after himself. He would clean the skin and hide, saving it for later. Maybe five more rabbits and they'd have a nice pair of gloves. "Aside from the Rukae patrolling this forest now, have you seen anyone else?" He asked casually. "After what happened to the royal family," he glanced to her, "I can't be the only one fleeing."

Oralia involuntarily froze in place for a split second - the shiver that went down her spine involuntary too. Once the moment passed and she was able to breathe again, she simply stretched her legs out so she could get her slippered feet closer to the fire. The cloak she pulled more tightly around her frame, shielding herself away from the chill of the evening.

"No," she answered truthfully. For several long awkward moments, it felt as if she wouldn't say anything else. Almost motionless save for the occasional glance off towards the woods or when she'd brush a few straw ebony hairs behind her ears.

Finally after another deep breath and a sigh, she shrugged her shoulders and spoke again. Less truthfully.

"I only know the woods and forest and have since all of time. As a woodling. Though, you hear things too, in the forest from birds and squirrels. That all there is left of Kosogaria is ash and fire. The people are gone from the castles and villages and only demons remain."

"It is what the birds say, anyway." she mumbled under breath. At least she stole a look at him, once what was left of the rabbit had been cleared away. "If you go in any direction, it should be as far away from Kosogaria as possible. There's really nothing left."

The air went silent, and for a moment, Dyami almost felt bad for asking. But he had to know - he had to be 100% certain that the woman sitting before him was the Krazimirs' daughter, Kosogaria's princess. The one and only heir.

This would've been a lot easier if he'd seen a portrait of her before, because there was a chance she wasn't the princess. Word of the Krazimirs' death spread like wildfire among those who survived the capital's invasion, and they probably weren't the only folks who met their fate of slit throats, execution-style. There was a chance this... woodling could have stolen the clothes off some noble's back.

But Dyami didn't believe in coincidences.

"Woods, forest, woodling," he slowly repeated. "Yes, yes, as you've said." So set she was on the lie, it sounded like she had to sell herself on it. "You plan on staying in the forest forever, then? What of the Rukae - if they find you? Charmed beasts can only fight off demons for so long."

He didn't sound as if he believed her at all, but then she wouldn't be so keen to believe a strange woman in the middle of a forest either, so Oralia couldn't be too offended. Really, she just wished he'd quit asking her what she would do as she honestly didn't know.

Morbidly her first instinct was to blurt out that'd she'd happily freeze to death in the woods than ever be captured by the Rukae.

That wasn't what she wanted though. Oralia wanted to live. It was hard to think past her present situation, sitting across a fire for the first time in weeks and smelling real food cooking. For now she would be fine. But what of tomorrow?

"It might not be wise to stay in the forest now," she admitted slowly, that perplexed expression of thought still across her features. "I would have to go somewhere outside of Kosogaria and find a new home. Maybe a warmer forest with a nice cave to sleep in out of the rain and snow."

Dyami nodded in agreement. "Mm, that does sound nicer than this frost-ridden place." There was a pause as he turned the rabbit. It grew into a silence.

This woman wouldn't survive out here much longer. She'd be lucky if she managed to find a way out of the forest, but finding a safe place to shelter was an entirely different story. Especially if she kept that sash. Whether it totally escaped her to get rid of it or she didn't have the heart, at this point she had the choice of freezing, starving, or being caught and killed.

Or...

She could go with him. But that meant he'd have to offer, and he wasn't so sure she'd accept. And if she did?

He - no, his whole village would be hiding a fugitive.

But she might be Kosogaria's only chance. And he might her only chance of surviving.

After a while more, when the rabbit was thoroughly cooked through, Dyami took it off the skewer and gave a large portion of it to the woman. "You know what would be even nicer than a damp, dingy cave? A house, or an inn, or an actual building." Dyami looked at her, the shivering having died down some but not completely. Maybe she'd slept on the ground and her dress had yet to dry. "There's a village past the forest. You could come with me, if you'd like."

Last edited:
It took all of her willpower to keep from tearing into that rabbit like the wild woodling she was claiming to be. Even so, a huge chunk of it was devoured so fast he couldn't be certain if she chewed or not. A leg bone left behind certainly came out clean - it was a wonder she hadn't swallowed it too!

Oralia wiped her mouth with the heel of her hand, casting him a squinting, suspicious look. It seemed to be a genuine enough offer. Not that she needed to travel with him at all. Wouldn't it be a simple enough thing to trail after him at a distance until they reached somewhere else?

Oh, but wouldn't it be nice to eat hot food and have a fire every night? To have someone to talk to instead of being alone in the dark!

"I have no gold to pay for a house or room," she confessed. "...just a ring or two hidden away? That isn't enough to give you, let alone enough for a place to stay. But I might follow you still, out of this forest to another place."

Oralia then held out her hand, waiting for more rabbit to be dropped on her palm.

"If you keep feeding me."

Reactions: catalyst
The meat was gone in but two seconds.

And his mother said he was a fast eater.

A hint of a smile tugging at his lips, Dyami bit into his own piece of rabbit. He had nothing else to cook, the one animal a product of luck with winter's chill setting in so soon. The only food he packed before his trip to Kosaria was dried meat; the rest was left to hunting.

Though she was scrutinizing him, Dyami kept an even gaze. He'd let her think about it as long as she'd like, let her pretend like she had another real option. And when she admitted she had no coin but maybe a ring, he put a hand on his knee and leaned back. She'd been smart enough to hide her jewelry, but not regalia?

His eyes dropped to her outstretched hand, then back up to her. She'd follow him... if he kept feeding her! The man laughed and threw his hands up in defeat. "Sure," he answered as he began pulling off another piece. Just as she was about to grab it, he pulled back just enough to get her to pause. "But try to savor this one, yeah?" he said as he finally gave it to her. "Lest you regret it later. Don't need my beauty sleep interrupted by the sound of you spewing."

Dyami ate another piece before giving the rest to the woman and winking. She needed it more than him, and while she ate, he wiped his hands and went to his pack to grab a canteen. He took a large gulp for himself before tossing it to the ground beside the woman. "Water," he told her, and then he busied himself with unfurling his bedroll. "You can use this for tonight." It was more of a demand than a true offer. "I'll keep watch."

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: Diana
Oralia at least made the effort to chew a little bit slower, finding his laughter such a welcome change from all of the quiet loneliness of the forest and the dark memories ever present in the back of her mind. The water too was greatly appreciated, being far more palatable than trying to lick frost off of brittle leaves. Sticking close to this friendly stranger would definitely be the smartest thing to do.

Once there wasn't a trace of rabbit meat left and she'd swallowed a satisfying amount of water, Oralia scooted to claim the bedroll. First she moved it even closer to the fire where she would be the toastiest - too close in fact. On second examination she was certain she'd wake up covered in sparks and flames if she slept so close! Once she moved it to a more reasonable position she plopped down on her knees to smooth it out.

How nice this was going to be not having to sleep on the cold ground with wiggly bugs! Tonight it felt as nice as any fluffed feather mattress.

But then she paused, sitting on her haunches as her mouth turned down to a thought frown. He was, perhaps, being too kind to her, when she hadn't even offered him anything fair in exchange. His fire, his food, his bed... that wasn't quite fair.

"I can't take your bed. You've made dinner, I will keep watch so you may sleep," she announced with all the authority expected of a princess.

Dyami could have warned her that she was too close to the fire, but he kept his mouth shut. Sometimes struggling was a part of learning. If he was going to do this, keep the princess hidden, he couldn't drive himself crazy correcting everything. No, he'd keep her safe, keep her alive... and the rest would be up to her.

But that didn't mean he would obey her when she turned her little nose up and used her princess voice.

"No." Having chosen to sit against the trunk of a tree opposite of the woman, Dyami crossed his arms once more. "Don't worry. I have my own way of dealing with beasts," he reassured her with a small smirk. "If you're, perhaps, more worried about owing me... how about you simply tell me your name? We won't be strangers, and so we'll be more inclined to trust each other, yes?"

He could see her hesitate. To stall, he added, "Unless you want me to call you 'woman.' I'll even go first. Name's Dyami."

By the look on her face it may have been not a single soul had ever told her no in her life. It even took her a moment to process it, but it seemed despite the perplexed twist of her mouth she'd accepted his answer and resumed getting into her new nest.

"Pr-" Oh no, she couldn't say that. Without thought she'd almost blurted out her full name. Princess Oralia Nevena Krazimir, First Princess of Kosogaria. Only princess of Kosogaria. ...perhaps now Queen of Kosogaria. Could one even be the queen over a kingdom of ash?

"Ori. ...Just Ori," she slowly announced. If there were no more Kosogaria, there could be no more Oralia. From now on she'd have to live her days as Ori the woodling, as a woodling Ori had a much better chance of surviving compared to a lost and hunted princess. The world would have to believe she died alongside her family, and her body was taken by the fires.

Once she was laying down, securely nestled in the bedroll, she grumbled out one last muffled thing.

"Tomorrow then. I will keep watch. That's the fair thing to do."

If he argued, Oralia didn't hear it. She was out like a blown candle almost the moment her eyes fluttered closed. There was no telling how many days she'd been without sleep. With a full stomach and a safe place, it all seemed to catch up with her at once.

Ori.

Dyami could accept that. He'd have to, just as she had to accept the fact that no one answered to her anymore. At least she wanted to be fair. Even after all she'd been through...

Tiny Ori.

Sighing and shaking his head clear, the werewolf focused on the sounds and scents of the forest, and prayed to whatever gods were out there that Linvharis was safe.

Thankfully, they made it through the night without any unwelcome visitors. Dyami kept the fire lit for as long as possible, wanting to offer what warmth he could to the tiny woman. While he could allow her to sleep a little past first morning's light, they couldn't lollygag for long. So he stalled for as long as possible by drowning every last ember of the fire, packing stray items, and destroying any signs of a camp. Even if nobody else had picked up on the flames and smoke, he couldn't risk them being followed. Especially not with the princess in tow.

Eventually, he stood over her. "Time to wake up, woodling. We need to move."

Last edited: