Opal Moon and Silver Fur (catalyst and Diana)

Oralia could have slept for another three days, thus when Dyami tried to rouse her, she was very slow to wake. At first she didn't recognize where she was, the confusion making her pause and glance around at the now empty camp. Bit by bit he could see each thought play across her face as she worked through her memories, until finally she landed on a determined set to her jaw and a serious furrowing of her brow.

Dutifully, she scooted out of her warm nest with a bit of regret, but didn't make a single complaint about it. She carefully made sure to dust it off as she rolled it up and buckled it securely. Then she hefted it's leather strap over her shoulder, wordlessly claiming this piece of their camp as her responsibility to carry.

For the first time in a long while, she'd been able to go to bed full and wake up warm. Though it wasn't near as much rest as she needed, Oralia found herself with a renewed sense of hope. Today was better than yesterday, and that meant if she could just keep going, maybe tomorrow would be better too.

"I'm ready. If see something worth foraging I'll tell you. ...and boar nests. Most definitely we will avoid boar nests."

Dyami stood by Ori and called her name until those grey eyes fluttered open. For a moment, it seemed she was lost, memory evading her by the thick fog of sleep. He didn't leave her side until she finally sat up, not wanting to risk her falling asleep once more. And once she fully awoke, she was quick to make herself useful, not even hesitating to pack the sleeping roll.

She still looked dreadful, but a little less... absolute? It was a wonder what some food and a good night's rest could do for someone.

"Don't want to test your charm on a boar one last time?" He quipped as they began moving. A morning fog had rolled in with the frost, thickening the smell of old tea leaves. "Practice makes perfect, y'know. Maybe this time, it'll only growl instead of charging."

• Love
Reactions: Diana
Oralia wrinkled up her nose and shook her head.

"I would rather not. That boar was near as big as I am. Though I suppose if it could be charmed, it would've made a fine mount to ride." Having a big big with fancy tusks to ride would've definitely been preferable to walking for Oralia. Her fine shoes were once perfect suitable for strolling down tiled hallways or taking casual walks through green grass gardens, but after two weeks of running through the woods... Rocks, twigs, and rough ground, not to mention mud and puddles. If Oralia weren't concerned about adding cuts on top of her blisters, she might've been better off just running wild a barefoot.

This, though, she wasn't going to complain about to her new friend. She was no princess anymore and would have to prove she was strong and capable... most importantly useful.

"...I think I might to learn to fish? Fish don't burrow in winter, they must be much easier to catch."

• Haha
Reactions: catalyst
Dyami imagined Tiny Ori atop of a great boar with far too exaggerated tusks. Coupled with the bloodied dress and perhaps warrior's mud markings on her cheeks, a bow and arrow...

No, it was still too funny, and the werewolf couldn't hold back his laugh. "I would pay to see that." The image popped in again, eliciting another giggle from the man as he shook his head.

"Fishing is a useful skill," he agreed. He didn't question why she didn't already possess the skill as a woodling. "They're less energetic in the winter, but that doesn't necessarily make them easier to catch. It's a test of patience, if there ever was one. That's why I prefer to do it my own way." He glanced sidelong to her, already feeling her desire to ask. "Maybe one day I'll show you. That's if we make it out of this forest."

"You think me silly," she huffed, turning her nose up and looking so elegantly offended, despite the fact she was covered head to toe in smudges of dirt. "You should know, I learn very quickly and have limitless patience."

Oralia did pause then, before she started on a rant about being a grown woman perfectly capable of all matter of things. Her list of credentials weren't all applicable to survival in the forest. Unless bears and wolves needed someone to mediate cave ownership, or her new companion had needle and thread to mend tunics.

More interesting was the phrase one day. Did that mean they would stay traveling companions even beyond the forest?

"What is your own special way? I would make a net and throw it at the fish. The holes would have to be small enough so they couldn't wiggle through, but it would catch the big ones. We would only need one or two big ones, anyway to feed us both for a day or two."

Limitless patience? Dyami would make a point to test such a bold claim, though perhaps not today. No, it seemed she would be the one to test his patience with trying to prove that she was a capable adult.

If only she knew how out-of-touch she sounded. While he appreciated her desire to help and be useful, talking about it was... well, it was what spoiled kids did when mean mommy and daddy didn't let them "experience life." Or maybe what a princess did when other powerful people didn't take her seriously. After all, the phrase "you can do anything" was only true for nobility. For common folk, it was wishful thinking at best.

But again, sometimes struggle was the best teacher. Since it was only the two of them in the forest and safety wasn't a concern, he'd let her believe whatever she wanted.

As they kept walking, taking a path not obvious to anyone but the dark-haired male, their day was filled with minimal conversation. Ori would talk, Dyami would listen. If she tried for anything more, she'd almost always get a half answer-turned jest, and they were both careful not to divulge anything too personal to each other. She did her best to keep up with his pace, but a brisk walk for him was practically a run for her - and she was wearing slippers. Part of him wanted to test her and see how hard he could push her, but another part - a quiet voice in the back of his head - suggested he take a more merciful approach. That part won Ori a ten minute rest.

It was late in the day, just a couple of hours before sunset, when they finally approached the end of the forest. Dyami looked down at the woman beside him. "Should we come upon anyone, hug your cloak tight. A blood-soaked dress begs for attention we don't want." Though it was less about the blood and more about the sash she continued to wear. He'd have to tell her to get rid of it at some point. When he did, would she realize he knew who she was?

Oralia had never moved so much in her entire life. It felt as if they'd ran a thousand miles or more! She was already exhausted and tired, but they'd made so much progress, she wouldn't dare hold them back. Now that they'd made it to the end of the forest, she seemed to catch a second wind. For the first time she was leaving behind the capital city and there was an entire world out there for her to see. If she could just bury away the memories of why she was leaving.

Understanding the wisdom of his instructions, Oralia went ahead and made double-sure her cloak shielded her well, along with adjusting the hood. As a princess she'd stood in front of crowds and crowds of people, and wouldn't be able to recognize a single face herself... but those people might recognize her. And soldiers too weren't always in recognizable armor.

"Will we stick to the roads now?" she asked curiously. She liked to ask a lot of questions, despite his lack of satisfying answers. And though she never risk divulging anything about her identity, Oralia did seem to have a ridiculous amount of useless facts about forest plant life. She could point and name every tree and bush they past, even if it was just by bark alone.

Dyami glanced towards the clearing. "For a little while, at least. It's the most direct route home." There was also an inn not too far away - information he was still debating to disclose. Their safest option was to stay hidden with as little sightings as possible. People might not recognize their princess beneath the grime, but that didn't mean they should risk it.

They continued walking out of the forest, keeping to the cobblestone road for only about an hour before Dyami erred on the side of caution and veered off the path. In time, the sun was replaced by a waning crescent - that, at least, he could be thankful for. If he'd come across her during a full moon?

Not good.

Eventually, they stopped to make camp. After setting things down, the pair drank water before gathering firewood. The issue with that, however, was that Dyami forgot humans couldn't see that well in the dark.

He ended up finding most of the wood.

"If things go right, we'll make it to the village by the end of the day." He handed Ori the bundle of dried meat. "We'll have a better meal then," he promised with a wink.

Oralia was already yawning, but she stifled it quickly to fight with one of the dried meat sticks. It was quite tough to bite through and chewy, though she decided she didn't mind. The more she chewed it, the better it tasted. As if all the flavor in the meat just needed to be ground out by teeth.

Before she allowed herself to sit and settle down, Oralia shadowed Dyami, paying close attention to how he prepared the wood and setup the fire bed. In the future she'd need to know how to start fires on her own, as apparently it wasn't as simple as rubbing two sticks together or bashing together rocks.

"Is this village where you make your home?" she questioned. "Do you live there with your family?"

Dyami didn't explain his process of starting a fire - only answering Ori if she specifically asked him something - but he did find himself slowing his motions. She was stuck to him like a fly on honey, so it was better if she learned quickly.

"Yes, to both your questions," he answered. "By no means are you expected to stay if you don't want, but it is safer to travel as a pair. Especially now that we're out of the forest." He glanced to her as he hesitated to ask a question of his own.

Curiosity got the better of him. And... it was probably best that he knew, right? In the interest of her safety?

"What do you plan to do?"

Oralia didn't answer straight away. In truth, she really needed to take the moment to consider it. When she first fled into the forest, every thing was quite numb and all she could think about was making sure no one could find her. Then it was just a matter of making sure she stayed alive - food and shelter. They were simple goals to accomplish.

Now? With a little assistance she could consider more than just basic survival. All of it was still overwhelming.

"I'm not sure," she replied honestly with a shrug of her shoulders. "I will need a job to earn money, I think. That would be the very first thing. Well, maybe a bath first. I'd very much like a bath."

"You are rather stinky," Dyami agreed, purposefully not meeting Ori's eye at his tease. "Perhaps that's why you've survived this long. Because nothing could stomach the stench." He finally looked down at her, a smile tugging at his lips.

"After a bath - no, two - no! Three baths," he gave a dramatic nod, "after three baths, you'll have no trouble finding a job. Your... extensive plant knowledge might be helpful for Kinshra's apothecary. Though I'm sure she has connections beyond the village if you don't wish to stay."

• Haha
"I beg your pardon!" she huffed at his teasing. Quite tempted at first to stoop down at pick up the nearest twig or rock to chuck at his head. Thankfully, she realized quick enough not to do something so foolish - though it was too late to take back her inappropriate outburst. A wild woodling wouldn't care about being smelly, would they? Being as filthy as possible was likely the ideal!

Likely flushing crimson if the warmth in her cheeks were any indication, Oralia stalked several paces away from him, pointedly crossing her arms and giving him an imperious look as if to say there, now you can't smell me.

Refusing to make any more comment on the matter, Oralia instead focused on the job ideas he had to offer.

"I might do very well in an apothecary," she admitted with interested. That annoyed looked of hers faded quickly back to her being pensive and thoughtful, even tapping her chin with her finger as she considered it. "I'd be especially good at foraging or even perhaps growing of things. I do like to garden."

Whether she left his side to resist the urge to knock him upside the head - nay, the arm - or to simply save him from her stench, Dyami grinned to himself. He doubted she ever smelled a day in her life. Prim and proper as all princesses had to be, she probably used to smell of expensive oils pressed from roses grown in the finest gardens of the nation.

But... maybe not. As far as he knew, princesses didn't garden. They didn't get dirt caked in their nails. Perhaps she was a wild one? A rebel? He didn't pay much attention to the royal family beyond knowing they were a fair bunch and had been smart enough to keep Kosogaria out of the war - until now anyway.

So maybe Ori was a priss, but the werewolf had a feeling she was more of a wildling in her own right.

Not having much more to say, Dyami nodded at her words. As the moon continued to rise in the sky, Dyami found himself thinking.

The decision to take her along had been quick and one he hadn't thought all the way through. What was he even to do with her, the princess believed to be dead? He could justify helping her out of the woods. Helping her hide - and for how long? - was something else entirely. And... what then? She stays in hiding for the rest of her life? Did she want her throne back? Would she want to fight against the Rukae and take her rightful place as Queen?

Dyami glanced to Ori. Wilding or no, she had a lot to learn. And a big decision to make.

Stars above, this wasn't going to be easy, was it? Better to be left for another day.

Especially with the sounds of crisp footsteps approaching their camp. Late into the night by now, Dyami immediately stood, facing the direction of the footsteps... and waited.

Two... three... four.

Four people.

"Ori." He stooped beside her, calling her name again. "We have company," he murmured as she came to. Cool and collected, he pulled a dagger out and placed it in her hands, gently guiding them to her lap, silently telling her to keep it hidden. He doubted they'd step a foot past them, but just in case. After fixing her cloak, he returned standing.

"Come forward. I know you're out there."

Oralia owlishly blinked when he woke her, not quite grasping a first what was going on when he placed that dagger in her hands. It wasn't until he adjusted her cloak and hood and then called out to the bushes back towards the path did icy realization set in. Her lungs froze and her heart stopped cold. It was far too dangerous to travel by night, even down common roads. Maybe carriages or traveling caravans, but they wouldn't stop at random would they? Not on a narrow path!

Her first instinct was to take off into the woods and not look back... but she wasn't all by herself anymore, was she? Though she hadn't been alone at the castle either. Rukae soldiers cut down servants and knights alike with ease and no second thought. Her new stranger friend Dyami couldn't stand much of a chance.

Did time stop? Oralia felt as if she'd been holding her breath for a thousand years, and she wasn't certain when she had moved to stand as well, clutching that dagger tight to her chest just to keep her hands from shaking.

A man stepped out from behind a tree with an air of arrogance, his black hair tied back and beard greying. It wasn't enough to bristle Dyami, but it was enough to instantly know things would go one of two ways.

"Such a glower you have on yer face there, friend," the man spoke. Local Kosogarian accent, probably from the city. The rest of his crew came to view. All men. Two didn't look particularly concerned, but the other, the one in the back... something in his eyes screamed trouble. "Mind if we share camp with you? The roads have been awful with Rukae."

"We have nothing to share."

"No?" All four pair of eyes shifted to behind Dyami, trying to catch a glimpse of the figure he was shielding.

"No. Be on your way."

"C'mon, miss!" The one in the back called out to Ori, a smirk on his face. "Tell your friend here we don't want any trouble."

Dyami stepped forward, drawing everyone's eyes back to him. "Leave. Now." The bearded man looked Dyami up and down before smirking and looking towards his crew. Hands went to settle on sheaths, preparing to draw weapons.

"Give us the clothes off your backs," he demanded, "and we'll leave you alone."

A large hand captured the man's throat, and immediately daggers and swords were drawn. Dyami shoved the three in succession, but lost the fourth in the scuffle.

A whistle caught everyone's attention next. The man from the back, the one with that glint in his eyes, was circling Ori. "Looks like some noble to me. Ripe for the pickin', I'd say." He looked at the dagger in her hands and tutted. Dyami could see the hint of blue peaking out from beneath her cloak. "Why don't you hand that over to me, darlin'? Don't wanna do nothin' stupid."

An eerie calm settled over Dyami. "Does anyone know about the forest 'round here? Beasts lurk about. Some guard it - creatures of the night, they say." Confused, the men frowned. After meeting eyes with Ori for a long second, Dyami turned back to face the leader. "If you don't wish to find out, you best be on your way." A final warning, if there ever was one.

"What?? Shut the hell up! I'm done with you!"

One of the men lunged. Halfway through it, he froze. All color drained from their faces.

"What're you waiting for?? Do it!" The fourth, who had grabbed Ori, yelled.

In a matter of seconds, where once stood a 6'4" very human Dyami, stood a wolf. A much larger than average wolf, practically eye-to-eye with the bandit leader. One of them slashed at the werewolf, and even if it was only to get away, Dyami couldn't let them escape. Not when it was likely Crazy Eyes had seen the blue sash. Not when the risk was too great.

It didn't seem like Crazy Eyes was too smart, either. As his comrades gave him the opening he needed, he threw the tiny, fighting lady over his shoulders and ran.

Last edited:
  • Love
It was like being back at the castle while it was under fire all over again. Oralia knew she should've taken that dagger and jammed it right into the gut of the man with the beady eyes. Yet she couldn't seem to will herself to move, even when several of the men leapt on Dyami ready to tear him apart. Even when Dyami stared her in the eyes and she knew deep down he was willing her to run - she couldn't move.

Not until the dagger was snatched out of her frozen hands did some sense of survival... or rather madness kicked in. For it had to be madness, as when she was snatched up off her feet the world went upside down. She'd spotted fur and gnashing teeth where Dyami had been dodging the swing of iron and steel.

There was no time for her to think about what she'd seen, gasping for breath as the stranger absconded with her into the forest. Oralia wasn't strong, but she was dexterous, wriggling and kicking and attempting to roll with every ounce of energy her body had left. The man didn't seem to feel nothing at all, at least not until she managed to wrap her cloak around his head and face.

He cursed all manner of horrible things when he stumbled to a stop and when his grip loosened, Oralia found just enough traction to propel herself out of his grasp. Her cloak ripped as she hit the ground, but she didn't stop twisting and flailing until she was free and he had nothing but handfuls of fabric.

Scrabbling across the forest floor until her hands found something solid enough to wrap around, she got to her feet and hefted up a sturdy branch then swung it with all her might.

• Nice Execution!
Reactions: catalyst
It had been so quiet. Now, blades clashed with claws, yelling clashed with growling, and everything cut through the night. Loud, until it wasn't. When the sound of violence led to the silence of death.

Dyami made it quick and as painless as possible. He didn't need screams to be carried down the road and attract something worse. He didn't need to leave behind more gruesome a scene than necessary. He needed to save Ori. Luckily for her, any ground her captor might've covered was a futile attempt compared to the speed of a wolf-shifter.

Especially when the captive was a fighter.

The man shielded his face and the branch struck his arm instead. He growled, the hit a mere nuisance with adrenaline and fear and anger coursing through him. But as he stepped forward, a wolf stalked from behind. Frosty green eyes subtly glowed as blood dripped from its maw, the usual color of white and brown now indiscernible. The rest of its body, marbled grey, brown, and white, didn't host nearly as much blood spatters.

Snarling froze the man in place as he watched the wolf round, coming between him and the lady.

Coward he was, he turned and ran. Dyami jumped, snatching onto his arm before dragging him back to the camp. There was nothing he could do about the begging and screaming, but at least Ori wouldn't have to watch a murder if she didn't wish to.

And then it was over.

Dyami didn't immediately return to Ori. When he did, the fire was snuffed out, the wolf was gone, and he was dressed, carrying all of their belongings plus whatever was of value from the bandits. He'd washed what blood off he could from his face and hands, but he hadn't come from the fight unscathed. He could feel the blood from cuts on his arms soaking through his undershirt. Hopefully they'd reach the village before the blood showed through his coat.

He stopped in front of her after grabbing her cloak. He didn't know how she felt, but he couldn't waste time caring. They couldn't waste time. She appeared to be unharmed, at least.

But that damned sash. He almost ripped it off her right then and there. Almost.

"Put that sash in the pack. Hide it. Unless you want me to burn it." He handed back her cloak. "Let's go." And then he marched forward.

Last edited:
  • Nice Execution!
Dyami was the wolf.

At least if she had fainted, she would've had an excuse for still being there. Instead of just standing dumbly in the dark, cringing as the beady-eyed man gave his last scream. If she had fainted, at least it would've meant she had succumbed to a delicate constitution - something expected of a princess - instead of staring through the trees, unbreathing, and waiting to see if it were a wolf or a man that returned.

Or if she had simply ran! Running would be the far wiser choice! What were the stories about shifters? That they ate your heart and liver while you were still alive? Oralia should've ran back into the forest and never looked back!

But he didn't come back as a wolf. He didn't come to drag her away and chew up her limbs or rip out her guts. Dyami simply stood there and stared at her with the look of a man scuffed up and resigned. Handed her the pack and her cloak and told her to hide her sash before he stomped away.

Oralia glanced down at herself, almost surprised to see what was left of her silk gown and the deep blue sash around her waist. With shaking hands she untied it and ran her fingers over the stained embroidery of her royal regalia. Wearing it was second nature, she'd forgotten it was even there! The insignias sewn in gold and silver were a symbol of her family bloodline and quite possibly the only proof left she was Princess Oralia Nevena Krazimir. ...the last Krazimir.

She let the sash fall from her hands to the forest floor. As an afterthought she found a heavy nearby rock to set on top of it.

A fitting grave for the former Princess of Kosogaria.

After she shrugged her cloak back on and hefted the pack back on her shoulder, Oralia quickly caught up to Dyami and fell into step a pace behind him. Her eyes burned and her throat was sore when she swallowed. Something warm dripped down her chest and when she touched her fingers to it and pulled them back to see there was a smear of red. The wound across her neck must've reopened in all of her squirming.

Frowning, she dabbed as much away with the sleeve of her cloak as she could and discreetly fussed with rearranging the fabric around her neck. Partly because Oralia was keenly aware he'd just killed four men to protect her and it wouldn't do to start crying now and making things worse when he seemed to have more than one scrape and scratch himself. ...but also a tiny part of her was terrified of shifter stories, and she didn't know if blood would send him into a hungry fury.

Ori hadn't followed him right away, but she wasn't running away either. Knowing that made Dyami feel an ounce better. People didn't take well to seeing the beastly shifter form, especially in battle. Blood and fangs and brute strength all in the form of a giant wolf? He wouldn't have faulted her if she ran. Hell, he'd seen people soil themselves.

But she didn't run away. No, her tiny feet ran towards him, only slowing when she was a comfortable distance away. Part of him wanted to apologize, but for what, exactly? And the timing didn't feel quite right. Not that it was ever comfortable to apologize...

What stopped him in his tracks, however, was the scent of blood. Not his, not the bandits. It could only be from one person, but he hadn't seen anything!

Frowning, Dyami turned to Ori, whose hands immediately left her neck. A thick brow rose. "There's no point in hiding a wound from me. Show me."