Of Darkness and Light (1x1 with ~PurpleRose~)

• So many newbies lately! Here is a very important PSA about one of our most vital content policies! Read it even if you are an ancient member!
Status
Not open for further replies.
Zayne felt a pang of guilt as he glanced for one fleeting moment over his shoulders. He shook his head. 'She has to learn that there are some things better left unseen.' "Goodnight." He murmured, turning back to the door. "And it's not your fault. I'm the problem." With that, he walked out of the room, out of the cellar, and through the house. The fireplace in the living room was out, and his father was nowhere to be seen. Maybe he had gone to bed. Zayne went up the staircase and into his room, shutting the door behind him. He flipped on the lamp next to his bed, slowly pulling his jacket off his shoulders and throwing it on the back of a chair. He looked at his reflection in the mirror, moving towards it as if he was hypnotized, attracted by some magnetic force. His eyes scanned his reflection; from his hair, to his face, to the black mass of feathers that stretched out behind him. He turned his head. "Your wings are a horror. I swear, if you show them to anyone, boy, you will sorely regret it."

Evianna wanted so badly to ask him to stay but she knew he wouldn't an especially not right now."Why do I have to be so stupid?"She muttered to herself,returning once more to her bed.Laying on her side,she curled her wings around her for warmth as the temperature dropped in the cellar."Goodnight."She murmured quietly with a heavy sigh and closed her eyes as she drifted to sleep.Her dreams started out peaceful but they soon morphed into a nightmare.She saw herself running away from an unknown person.As the person neared the fog that surrounded them disappeared and she saw clearly it was Zayne's father.She backed away until she felt a wall behind her and found as she looked around frantically that she was cornered.Looking for help,she saw Zayne in the distance and her hope rose but he didn't make a move to help her only watched as his father neared her with a sword.As she locked her gaze with Zayne's she saw his disgust for her in his eyes just moments before hi father plunged the sword through her heart,killing her.Waking with a start,Evianna sat trembling on the bed as she frantically looked around hoping this had all just been one big horrible dream,but she found she was still in the dungeon;the only thing that ga changed was that it was morning.

Last edited by a moderator:
The next morning, Zayne brought a plate of breakfast down into the cellar, but left the food just inside the door. Maybe it was better for him not to become so involved and attached to Evianna. Especially with how he felt around her, so open, so transparent... he felt safer with her than anyone else, yet he also feared being with her because so many things could go wrong. When he was with her, he was at his weakest. And if anyone ever caught him in such a state, especially around an angel, he was in deep trouble. What would his father do? He shuddered at just the thought of it.

Zayne spent the entire day with Damien and Nerezza, returning late in the evening. His father had left a note on the table stating that he was out for the night for business reasons and that dinner was in the fridge. He sighed, relieved that he would have the house to himself. He wouldn't have to watch his back or keep his guard up. He could relax. While heating up his food, he thought of Evianna, wondering how she had dealt with being alone all day. Truthfully, if he was in her situation, he wouldn't want to be alone. He sighed, and after eating, set up a plate for her and headed down into the basement.

She had calmed down a little from her nightmare and smiled when she had hear his footsteps but her happiness had faded when he only left her plate of food and left;not even glancing at her.'Maybe he's just busy.His father probably forced him to do something else so he won't be able to visit me until later.'She thought to herself as she ate,trying to keep her hopes up.The hours passed and still no sign of Zayne though she could hear his footsteps every so often around the house.The longer she waited,the lonelier and sadder she became.She had grown accustomed to their conversations even when they had hated each other,it was a nice way to keep her mind of other,more stressful things.'I guess he came to his senses and decided that it was better for what was between us to remain a crush and in the past.'She thought glumly,her emerald eyes dull with hurt as she stared at the tiny window.The sun rays it allowed in to the space she occupied was like a mocking of freedom so close to her grasp but the longer she stayed here the farther freedom became.A year slipped down her cheek as she angrily wiped it away,mad at herself for crying over something so stupid.

Zayne opened the door to Evianna's room, intending to do the same thing he had done that morning. But when he looked over at the angel, looking at how miserable she was, he knew he couldn't just leave her here alone. So instead of leaving the plate by the door, he brought it over to her bed, putting it down next to her. Her eyes looked teary and upset, but there was something else; like she was frustrated at herself for being so upset. He didn't blame her; he wouldn't be any better if the roles were reversed. For a moment he just stood there, just inches away from the bed, wanting to speak but not knowing what to say. He felt like he should apologize, yet also felt that he deserved space and time away from her and she should respect that. He wanted to comfort her, but what good would that do when he was the one who upset her? He sighed, turning as if he was going to leave again.

Evianna's head lifted as he stepped inside but when he simply set down her food beside her,she lowered it once more to stare at her hands."If you're going to ignore me could you at least bring me something to entertain myself with.Something to pass the time,a book maybe."She called out to him as he turned to leave.What she really wanted to ask was if he would stay but she knew he wouldn't.The words stayed on the tip of her tongue but she refused to utter them out loud,assuming there was nothing she could do to make things better.'He hates me now! I wish I could go back and fix what I has done,maybe then things wouldn't be so messed up and I could still enjoy his company.But maybe he's trying to put distance between us because he knows his father's going to kill me soon.Oh god,why is this happening!?!?'Her thoughts raged in her mind,causing another tear to slide down her cheek but this time when she wiped it away a few more fell in its place.

"If you're going to ignore me could you at least bring me something to entertain myself with. Something to pass the time, a book maybe." He winced at the request, feeling even more guilty. His resolve crumbled, unable to take any more of this, but instead of leaving like he usually did, he turned around. For a moment or two, he just stood where he was, unsure what to do, what to say, to comfort Evianna. What could he possibly do? The tears in her eyes made him even more guilty. Zayne walked back toward her, kneeling on one knee in front of her as he slipped one hand under her chin, raising her head. "You always know just what to do to make it impossible for me to leave." He mumbled, wiping a couple tears from her cheek with his thumb. "How'd you know I wasn't good with crying?" He tried to make it come off as a joke, but it was a bad one.

Evianna laughed softly through her tears at his attempt t a joke."Lucky guess?"She replied teasingly,looking up at him through teary eyes."I thought you were mad at me for yesterday.I'm really sorry,I shouldn't have forced you to tell me."At her apologizing,more tears fell as she let her guilt show clearly on her face.At his gentle touch to her cheeks as he wiped away her tears,she realized just how much she had missed him today.Evianna sighed as she looked up at him through her wet eyelashes,she probably looked like a mess to him.

"I'm not mad." Zayne replied quietly. "It's just that... I'm the kind of person who is used to putting up walls, so no one can get to me. But you can. I have no idea how, but it seems like no matter how hard I try I can't keep anything from you. You're too smart and perceptive to be hoodwinked." He laughed a bit at himself; he wasn't the type to just ramble and speak everything on his mind. "And about last night... There are some things I would rather keep hidden. My wings are the only secret no one else, except my father, knows about. Sure, I've had some people realize I have wings, but they're rarely curious enough to want to see them. They probably assume mine are like theirs." He got up off his knees and sat down next to Evianna, realizing her dinner was still sitting on the bed, untouched. "You should probably eat before your food gets cold."

"I missed you."She said and wrapped her arms around him in a hug for a few moments before she released him."I really am sorry about last night.I'm kind of new to the whole relationship thing,like I said most courting didn't evolve into an actual relationship."She picked up her plate and began to eat her dinner.Her hair was a bit mussed from her restless night but she had tried her best to smooth it down though she couldn't really do much without a brush.

"It's fine, Evi." Zayne replied, smiling. "It wasn't your fault. You were just curious, and no one can blame you for that." He ran his hand through her hair as she ate, trying to untangle it. How long had she been down here? Three days? Four? Without a brush, or a shower; there was a small bathroom connected to the room she was in, but it wasn't exactly made for comfort. This was a storm cellar, after all, and what storm could possibly last for days on end? "My father's out for the night. How would you like to take a shower?" There probably wouldn't be a chance for this for a while, so he might as well take it. And when his father was away on work, which wasn't very often, it was very important and he definitely wouldn't return until the morning. "I can't do anything for your clothes though, since, you know, I'm not a girl." He laughed, grinning.

"I think I've noticed that.But a shower sounds amazing right now."She replied finishing off her food and placing it beside her as she leaned into his touch.The shower he proposed sounded wonderful at the moment,she probably looked and smelled terrible;she was surprised he had stuck around her.She blushed as she realized he had calle her Evi instead of Evianna."You've never called me Evi before."No one had ever called anything other than Evianna and she wondered if this meant he in fact felt affection towards her.She knew she felt many emotions towards him and that she cared deeply for him,but Evianna was unsure if he was feeling the same as her;he had always had a bar showing his emotions so she understood it would take a little longer for him to admit he had feelings towards her.

"You've never called me Evi before." Zayne blushed a little, but kept his smile, trying to shrug it off. "Sometimes it's easier to call someone by a nickname. I also find nicknames endearing." He leaned in like he was going to kiss her, then dramatically pulled back. "Now how about you go take your shower, skunk." He chuckled, kissing her on the cheek and picking up her plate. "And don't you try anything. Just because I'm being nice does not mean you can try running away." He added teasingly, as if she would actually try. He leaned in closer, his lips near her ear. "You wouldn't make it very far." Being around Evianna just made him feel so... different, for lack of a better word. No, that wasn't enough to explain how he felt. "Come along, Evi. We don't have all night."

Evianna rolled her eyes at his teasing and followed him out of the cellar and up the stairs.As they reached the first floor,she finally go to see what his house looked like seeing how last time she has passed through here she was blindfolded."Your house is beautiful."She said,running her hand across the dark wall.It wasn't beautiful in the way most would think,but it was a dark beautiful and she thought it suited Zayne.Before when he had teased her about escaping she found herself wanting to reply 'I would never leave without you' but she held her younger with a blush.She didn't used to blush so easily but ever since she'd been around Zayne it seemed she could never stop blushing.

"I wouldn't call it beautiful. It is a nice house though." Zayne responded, watching Evianna from the corner of his eye. "Too roomy for just a father and son though." He led her up the stairs, running his hand over the railing made of dark oak. "The bathroom is the last door on the right, down that hallway." He pointed to his left, and began walking to the first door on the right from the top of the staircase. "I'll be in here when you're done."

Evianna nodded her head and headed to where he had said.Opening the door she found she was in the right place and stepped inside,locking the door behind her.She turned on the water,waiting until it was just the right temperature before undressing and stepping inside.The warm water felt amazing on her tense muscles and she relished in its comfort before she thoroughly washed her body,hair and wings.After she finished,she turned the water off and dried herself off with the towel.Paying extra close attention to her wings,she noticed they were unusually sore.Dressing in her clothes,she headed to Where Zayne had said he would be.She gently knocked on the door and awaited his answer to enter.

Zayne sat on the edge of his bed, his jacket beside him and his wings fluttering behind him. He relished every moment he could let the cramped feathered appendages out of the confinement of his jacket, but hated it all the same. Why had he been born with such horrible wings that even his father despised him for it? He ran his hand over the top of one of his wings, wincing as the sore muscles in it tightened at the touch. His fingers moved to the spot between his wings, sighing. It had felt so good when Evianna had done that. He wondered what it would be like to fly, thinking of Evianna's beautiful white wings; he had gotten over thinking of them as garish by then. But with his pathetic wings, in their condition, he doubted he'd ever be able to fly. The knock on his bedroom door made him jolt back into reality, and he quickly pulled his jacket back on. His already sore wings complained at being crammed back into the position that the had to be in all day long, but he ignored the dull pain. "Come in."

Evianna stepped inside at his reply with a shy smile and shut the door behind her."Hi."She said simply,unsure of what to say to him after their conversation in the cellar.Her fiery red hair was now a light auburn color because of its dampness from the shower.She wrung her hands nervously as she stood there,debating whether she should sit next to him or stay where she was.She ruffled her wings and wince with pain when she moved her right wing a certain way.After her discovery of the pain,she hoped he wouldn't notice.It was probably just sore and nothing else;at least she hoped that was the case.Her wings were sensitive and essential to her being an angel.A down angel was a dead angel in this city.

Zayne returned a smile. "You don't have to stay so far away, you know." He noticed the look of pain that flashed across her face and gave her a concerned look. "Are you okay?" He asked, noticing the cover up she tried to do afterwards. "Did you hurt yourself?" He got up and caught her by the wrist, gently tugging her back toward the bed. "Sit down, maybe that'll help." He brushed her wet hair away from her face and behind her ears, placing a kiss on the corner of her lips. "And don't give me any lame excuse to cover up your pain. I'm not blind."

"My right wings hurts."She admitted reluctantly to him,knowing he wasn't going let her cover it up like he said."It's probably nothing."She moved the wing slightly and found she could still move it,but if she tried to lift it,a sharp pain would shoot through her wing and shoulder."I probably just slept on it wrong."
She tried to take his attention away from her supposed injury but she knew her words fell on deaf ears.

Status
Not open for further replies.