Not Without Honour

I tweaked a few details to put him around five years of service - if that works. If not, I can up his service time.

I was thinking maybe a year, but since she's so young, probably less.

Considering that she gained sufficient rank at 17, that's 7 years, and let's assume she'd been there for awhile longer. Youths were often put to battle.

Last edited:
@VerbalAbuse, are you referring to your own character or Yurie (confused myself)

I think what @KageKaioh might've been meaning is that the characters may need to have served for more than just a year or two. I don't want to speak for him, but that's the feeling I get.

Reactions: VerbalAbuse
Sorry for the double post...but, would anyone like to figure out character relation stuff? I know I asked before - but my CS wasn't done then. Now it is - and I'm ready to be proactive about things. ._. Look at me go.

Hm.. alright. I want to limit it there being only one person who has worked for Kanegawa-dono for less than three years. The idea is that these men and women are the Daimyo's most trusted warriors. Obviously, it takes time to gain that trust, so we need to change things a bit for allow for that time.

Tone Deaf: Nishi-san's history would be fairly easy to bend in order to extend the time of service to three or more years. Would you be willing to do so?

Firejay: Would you be willing to extend Yurie's time of service to nearly two years? You would not need to alter her age for this if you do not wish to.

As for relationships, I will write out something to describe Hiroyuki's possible views on each character either later tonight or tomorrow. I suggest others do so as well, as it might make things a bit easier for developing relations. Also, I will be setting up the IC this weekend!

Reactions: Perfect Neglect
Alright Only as long as I can pretend that the Italized tone in your signiture is really just my name..... (Yes. I am strange!)

That would mean God is inside you, are you comfortable with that? It doesn't sound very pleasant.

Reactions: Perfect Neglect
I'm very happy to have her time of service extended to 2 years, but I... can't really tell what her relation to Hiroyuki would be yet.

Thank you. As for that, to start, just think of how Yurie might react to him. Outwardly, he is rather emotionless, collected and cold, and can be sadistic. How would someone who is gentle, calm and soft like her deal with that?

Ahaha. Well, I think she'd get along pretty much fine with him besides when he's being actively sadistic, which seems to be limited to when he's actually fighting, which would not extend to children. His emotionless, collected, cold attitude would immediately make her more comfortable with him, because firstly she would quickly figure out she didn't need to pretend to be demure in front of him. Secondly because she herself has forced herself to become... insensitive to other people's comments, she'd feel secure around someone who outwardly seems to do the same. He also doesn't seem interested enough to bully her, and when they first meet, that would probably be a refreshing change for her. Back in her hometown, she used to have to fight a lot to protect her honor.

Okay, I took Kage's suggestion and decided to write out a few lines for how I think Makoto would feel/act toward the other characters:

@firejay1 Since Yurie seems fairly quiet most of the time, Makoto would likely be respectful of that -- though if she gets too serious, he will lightly tease her from time to time. He absolutely would not show any disrespect toward her for her albinism or her gender -- and he would likely be somewhat protective of her, especially since she's so young.

@Tone Deaf Before I write anything, I do have a question for you... I'm very likely misreading your CS, but the "Unfortunately for everyone the only time he is sober is when he wakes up" bit has me confused. Is Norisane constantly drunk, then?

@VerbalAbuse I feel like Makoto and Kirihime would get along quite well -- especially since they're both rather personable. As I mentioned, Makoto would not think any less of someone because of their gender - but he may jokingly warn people about her temper.

@Daws Combine Makoto would likely be somewhat perplexed by Kaze's seemingly conflicting personality and constantly work to better understand the man.

@PetticoatLane, I think she would appreciate that a lot, but also feel internally a little annoyed or perhaps uncomfortable, because she's never had anyone protect her before and has never had any expectation of anyone doing so (as her marriage prospects were nearly impossible to begin with, and marriage with a kind man completely nonexistent); in some ways it's almost like an insult to the hard work she's put into making herself strong, and in other ways it's just like... some kind of impossible situation that she simply isn't sure how to react to.

So, the IC is being waylaid because I am having issues with coding replicating itself again. *bangs head on wall* I am trying to fix it, but it may take a bit. However, I have Hiroyuki's first opinions of the other samurai for you all:

Nishi-san would most likely annoy Hiro, as drinking inhibits clear thought and control, two things Hiro very much works to perfect within himself. Though he would respect Norisane as a samurai and part of the Daimyo's guard, he would look down on him for his harmful addiction. However, unless that addiction does something to taint the honour of the guard, he would say nothing.

Suda-san would probably be one of his favourite comrades, due to the fact that she is calm and quiet; someone he can simply sit by in silence and be comfortable. He would hold no judgement due to her appearance or gender, though he would most likely treat her differently due to her age. This would not cause him to look down on her... more like taking her a bit less seriously due to her not having as much experience. Again, he would never directly say this, nor make it obvious unless it somehow caused a problem.

Kikuichi-san would be highly respected by Hiroyuki. He appreciates her way of thinking (in regards to her attire ploy to lull an enemy) and acknowledges her struggle through adversity. I cannot say if they would be close in anyway, but at the very least, her being the second-longest standing member of the guard would make him more comfortable with her.

Yoshanai-san would probably get the most friction from Hiro. Clashing beliefs and modes of thinking could very easily cause fights. Due to his beliefs about honour, Hiro would regard Kaze as having none. All in all, Hiroyuki would think Kaze has no place in the Daimyo's guard. (Sorry that sounds so harsh. Nothing personal, I promise!)

• Love
Reactions: firejay1
Okay, I took Kage's suggestion and decided to write out a few lines for how I think Makoto would feel/act toward the other characters:

@firejay1 Since Yurie seems fairly quiet most of the time, Makoto would likely be respectful of that -- though if she gets too serious, he will lightly tease her from time to time. He absolutely would not show any disrespect toward her for her albinism or her gender -- and he would likely be somewhat protective of her, especially since she's so young.

@Tone Deaf Before I write anything, I do have a question for you... I'm very likely misreading your CS, but the "Unfortunately for everyone the only time he is sober is when he wakes up" bit has me confused. Is Norisane constantly drunk, then?

@VerbalAbuse I feel like Makoto and Kirihime would get along quite well -- especially since they're both rather personable. As I mentioned, Makoto would not think any less of someone because of their gender - but he may jokingly warn people about her temper.

@Daws Combine Makoto would likely be somewhat perplexed by Kaze's seemingly conflicting personality and constantly work to better understand the man.
You have to look a it from my perspective Lane. Think of Alcohol like vitamin C. If he doesn't have his daily amount, youll die from scurvy. No one wants to die from scurvy.

Kikuichi-san would be highly respected by Hiroyuki. He appreciates her way of thinking (in regards to her attire ploy to lull an enemy) and acknowledges her struggle through adversity. I cannot say if they would be close in anyway, but at the very least, her being the second-longest standing member of the guard would make him more comfortable with her.
('∀'●)♡

You guys are so sweet

I need a close male friend to complicate her being unmarried. Side plot stuff, you understand.

@Tone Deaf - Nishi-san simply cannot command Yurie's respect. Most of the samurai are older than her, even some lower in status than she, so she judges people with a complete and utter disregard for age, and Nishi-san's excessive drinking is seen as impractical to her. That kind of foolishness and recklessness is, in her eyes, reason for her to look down on him. As with everyone else, she does not let this show in her attitude towards him. She treats him with the same, lady-like courtesy she treats most everyone she does not trust or respect. She can respect his obsession for honor, but he has attempted to pick fights with her for using poison on her weapons sometimes. This is yet another indicator to the albino that his understanding of the world lacks ruthless practicality.

@KageKaioh - She feels very comfortable around Kiyomizu-san. His merciless manner of fighting would not disturb her as long as he didn't cut down children. She appreciates his physical prowess, including his own form of martial arts, but the thing that really draws her to him is her ability to be silent around him. Other people require conversation, displays of emotion, and sometimes even submissive or aggressive behavior. With him, she can just be her normal, calm, quiet self without feeling judged or uncomfortable. His general lack of empathy almost makes dealing with him easier, because she doesn't have to hide when she's upset, when she's with him, since he rarely recognizes and asks about it.

@VerbalAbuse - Yurie respects Kikuichi-san almost to the point of intimidation, but does not feel comfortable around her. She sees Kikuichi-san's sensitivity about her gender as a ticking time bomb that makes little sense to her. Women were perhaps more equally treated in her clan simply because there were so few people in the clan. The women were trained the same way as the men and only not sent out into battle when fighting for another person's force, such as Kanegawa-dono's. As such, the belief that women are inferior here is perhaps a little irritating, but impacts her actual psyche very little. More importantly, she thinks it's important to remain calm even when someone has hurt your honor or insulted you. Only through calm can you remain an effective force in battle. A reputation is a balance. People must respect you for your strength, but you must never allow the common people know the true extent of your strength, in case you should ever need it to surprise them. If they believe you're less because you're a woman, use it. Still, the woman is strong, fierce, and honorable, and that deserves respect. She shows humble deference to the older woman, without obsequiousness.

@PetticoatLane - Kuroki-san is a man that can almost get on Yurie's nerves, if she were the type to get annoyed easily. His friendly and open manner is perhaps admirable, in its own way, but she has no intention or desire to share her personal stories and "cry on his shoulder." The suggestion of it, and the feeling she gets that he feels protective of her, is almost an insult to both the mental and physical strength she has beaten into her own existence. His wit does occasionally get a genuine smile from her, but his occasionally flirtatious behavior is associated with disrespect to her. She covers these feelings up with her usual, polite smiles, but if anyone could irritate her enough to poison them, it would probably be him.

@Daws Combine - Yurie has no real opinion of Youshanai-san. She knows that he's a dangerous man, and not a kind one, but she feels neither fear, respect, nor disrespect for him. He is just a colleague she intends to permanently consider as a stranger. He holds no interest for her.

NPC - Kanegawa-dono has perhaps Yurie's complete adoration, admiration, and loyalty eternally. This loyalty is second only to her loyalty to her father, the only person who has ever loved her. She treats Kanegawa-dono both as her lord and as a second father to her.

Yurie has no interest in a romantic relationship. She is significantly younger than pretty much everyone else in the force, but that is not her real deterrent, since it is not so uncommon in their society. Simply put, love is not an option for her. It never has been, and in her eyes, never will be. Since she was indoctrinated with the belief that she was unsuitable for marriage, falling in love would be a worst-case scenario for her. But personally, I think it would be fascinating if she ever did. Her love of children, also stems from this, as she believes they're something precious she herself will never be able to obtain.

Last edited: