Not Without Honour

Perhaps we should clarify a few ways one could better, worsen, or romanticize relationships with one another?

Nishi-san - if he could slow his drinking at least, and reliably show up in battle sober, she could learn to accept him wholly. Conversely, if he shows up to battles drunk, especially if he botches orders as a result, it's likely she'd lose all respect for him. Should he quit drinking completely, she could learn to love him.

Kiyomizu-san - She already respects him a great deal, though should he become a tyrant to the people, her expectations of him would surely falter. She could come to love him should he show a more sensitive side of himself.

Suda-san - Kirihime finds Yurie to be an almost ideal individual. Nothing about her personality suggests she could break their friendship, but it is possible. Kirihime has a bit of a crush on Yurie, but her family would not react favorably to the two having a public relationship - but who's to say the two couldn't be lovers behind the curtains? Indeed, Yurie need only reciprocate.

Kuroki-san - She's quite attached to him as it is. A distance might grow between the two if he rejects social invitations from her on too frequent occasions. She could fall in love if he would tell her about the past he avoids.

Youshinai-san - She could truly appreciate him if he went out of his way to save her life, unless of course, Kanegawa-dono's own life was in peril as well. She already treads fairly lightly around him as it is, save for when he makes a sexist comment, in which she would demand he retract his statement. Love is foreseen as being out of the question, although something drastic could change this.

An interesting idea, Verbal! I shall follow suit as soon as I finish up the IC, which I am nearly done with.

I think other than Makoto, Kirihime is the only character mentioned to be attracted to the same sex (beside the other or otherwise)

Hiroyuki is almost solely attracted to males. I had listed that in his profile from the beginning.

Hiroyuki is almost solely attracted to males. I had listed that in his profile from the beginning.
Oh I must've not noticed. Gonna skim back through for this tidbit
Edit: ah, there it is, in the Extra section. Almost, huh? There may be plenty of fish in the sea, but Kirihime might still be able to catch this one.

Last edited:
It's alright- a short statement at the end of a profile is easy to miss. I keep going back over everyone's profiles and find things I did not catch the first time around as well.

Well, now that I've brought it up, I can't wait to see everyone's take and how I can get some of that sweet romantic plot candy.

For starters, if Yurie is the first one Kirihime falls in love with, she would still take a male partner to wrap up the marriage side plot (more for me~), while if Yurie confesses afterwards, Kirihime's sense of devotion to her betrothed would cause her to reject Yurie.

The dynamic of Clan Kikuichi pressuring Kirihime to get married means a romantic partner would be practically integral to her personal narrative. I imagine it'd also be important for Yurie and potentially Makoto as well, the former for the same reason as Kirihime, the latter for what may be considered by some to be the opposite reason of Kirihime's.

Although I think Clan Suda is not as conservative as Kikuichi? So maybe Yurie wouldn't be under so much pressure.

To be honest, romance is rarely on my list of objectives when roleplaying, so I did not think about it when constructing plot and setting. It will be interesting to see how such relations form in the duration of the story, though, as there will be a lot of stress and challenges for our characters to overcome. That said, the IC is open for posting!

Time to start proving that our samurai are Not Without Honour!

A few notes before you get to posting:

Since none of our characters are married, they would have their own living quarters in the Daimyo's complex. These quarters would consist of two conjoined rooms each, with any creature comfort your character would want (within reason, of course). There would be one kitchen and dining hall they would share, with servants that cook for them, should they wish it- cooking your own food is acceptable. The rooms create a semi-circle around a well-tended garden and pond.

Our characters have free reign over the castle, save a few exceptions. Males are not allowed into the woman's quarters (where the Daimyo's wife, daughters and their handmaidens live) without invitation. No one is allowed into the Daimyo's living quarters without invitation. Also, it would be considered very disrespectful to enter another character's quarters without permission.

The castle has indoor and outdoor training grounds, situated right next to one another. Archery or most any long-range weapon is not practiced indoors, while any kind of martial practice can be done in the various areas outdoors. There is an area specifically for archery, and a raised platform for hand-to-hand or close-range combat challenges.

Other places acceptable for your character to be right now are the castle gardens (of which there are many) and the city, though I would prefer it if you not have your character wander off on their own for too long. I want character interaction during the beginning of this rp. The idea is that this day is like any other for your characters, so have them go through their typical morning routine of training, relaxing, walking about, ect.

If you are unsure of anything of have questions, just ask!

Well, now that I've brought it up, I can't wait to see everyone's take and how I can get some of that sweet romantic plot candy.

For starters, if Yurie is the first one Kirihime falls in love with, she would still take a male partner to wrap up the marriage side plot (more for me~), while if Yurie confesses afterwards, Kirihime's sense of devotion to her betrothed would cause her to reject Yurie.

The dynamic of Clan Kikuichi pressuring Kirihime to get married means a romantic partner would be practically integral to her personal narrative. I imagine it'd also be important for Yurie and potentially Makoto as well, the former for the same reason as Kirihime, the latter for what may be considered by some to be the opposite reason of Kirihime's.

Although I think Clan Suda is not as conservative as Kikuichi? So maybe Yurie wouldn't be under so much pressure.
I need to throw some more info up in the OOC... I'm so lazy, sometimes. ><

The reason Makoto deals well with male partners (now) is because there is no worry over children and no pressure for marriage. That's not to say he won't sleep with women -- but he is leery of becoming too attached - to anyone, really. Because of what happened to him, he's a little shy of the topic and has no (current) intent to seek marriage again... Though I suppose he could be persuaded? He sees no reason to carry on his bloodline, and he considers his age to be a bit of a detriment - even though he may joke about being young at heart.

Especially at first, I can see a sort of one-sided relationship forming here. Unless she convinces him to change his mind, Makoto would regard her much like a sister. Anything is possible, though.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: VerbalAbuse
Much as I had expected. When I mentioned Makoto opening up to her about his past, I meant more that could be a catalyst than a sign of reciprocation, if she could get it out of him.

Now then, for an IC post.

Reactions: Perfect Neglect

I think I kind of explained this in her CS, but Yurie isn't under pressure to marry. It's actually the opposite. True, Clan Suda is not as conservative about marriage as the Kikuichi clan (probably), but it is still expected for the women to marry eventually. Yurie is the exception to this rule both personally and publicly. While she may be a successful samurai now, her albinism still makes her... in crude terms, a freak. I used this in one of my IC posts in the previous one, but she is considered both the Suda clan's shame and its pride. It's unlikely that anyone would want to marry her. Since this was what she was taught in a number of ways since she was a child, this is what she understands. She's not going to get married. To do so would almost be an insult to the man, that he should marry one such as her. Even ignoring that consideration, her personal sense of duty would never allow her to enter into a relationship that might create more like herself. If she passed on her condition, she'd never be able to forgive herself, since she knows how hard it is. She is not a son, and is the youngest daughter of the clan head. There is no political or familial reason why she should have any reason to marry. She has every intention of dying alone.

I'd also just like to point out that Yurie is sort of heterosexual. Myself being either demisexual or Grey-A, most of my characters end up like that as well, but as much as you can get within those terms, she's heterosexual, and would not go for Kirihime. Not to mention, Kirihime makes her feel somewhat uncomfortable to begin with.

If Yurie does fall for someone that will really highly negatively impact her psyche (which is why I said I thought it'd be interesting), as she'd struggle between her emotions and her sense of duty. If someone confessed to her, on the other hand, she'd simply shoot them down without mercy. For now, since I don't know how she'd respond to any of them romantically and simply can't imagine it at all, I'm not going to deal with that part. I'll have IC up in a couple hours.

Last edited:
Aww dang well so much for the woman's concubine. It can't be helped then. Suppose I'll just have to go for one of the guys.

仕方が無い

Okay so I'm going to ask again just to be sure - I know I asked in Shadow Samurai. Is this going to be more like Edo/Tokugawa, or Sengoku/Azuchi-Momoyama period? Maybe earlier?

Last edited:
After reading Kages opening post I wish i made my character with a more serious state of mind. That is really writing sir ^^

I ask because in the Sengoku period, the Japanese more widely used firearms and it wouldn't be out of the question for her to utilize riflemen amd even practice using a rifle and bayonet herself, on occasion. In fact, firearms were developed in the 1270's, although effective firearms (tanegashima or matchlocks) were introduced in the 1540's. Essentially, any point at around mid-Sangoku period would utilize rifles in warfare, in addition to foreign presence up to and until the early 1600's.

@KageKaioh I'm sure you know this or would've done research anyway but so everyone else knows why I'm asking.

Sorry for double posting but WOOHOO FOR FIVE PARAGRAPH POSTS

Reactions: Perfect Neglect
I can't deal with that. That's an intimidating length, man.

She said.
To clarify on what he means, it's a double entendre. He can do it.

But can I just say I think much of mine was expodump so I don't think five paragraphs is mandatory

I'm... probably just going to repaste my message from the last time with some small tweaks.

Thank you for the clarification, Verbal. The minimum is two paragraphs, I just tend to be wordy and get carried away. That said, I love the opening to your post, Daws. It had me laughing a bit.

As for the time frame, this is loosely based on a mesh of the late Sengoku into the early Edo period. There is no wide-spread warring, though most prefectures do have boarder skirmishes and deal with unrest in the wake of recent wars (The wars ended when most of our character's parents were children). As for tanegashima, I am alright with them being present, but I do not want firearms to play a large role with any of the characters. I also do not see Kanegawa-dono heavily implementing the use of such weapons, but it would be acceptable for a character to have interest in knowing how to use them. After all, knowledge is the best weapon. To make things easier, I will be working out a history timeline for Akuo, which will at least cover recent events leading up to the world our characters live in.