Not Without Honour

While using poison is considered a highly dishonourable and cowardly thing in Japanese culture, I decided to let her keep it for a couple of reasons. Firstly, for all the heavy references this story has to Feudal Japan, it is not; thus we can bend some things as we see fit. Secondly, such skills and knowledge are very useful, even if looked down upon. I am sure there are many people whom consider Kanegawa-dono to be a fool or disgrace to allow such a warrior into his ranks, but I see Kanegawa-dono as rather mindful and cunning, as he sees the virtues of such practices. If you think about it, having someone who was raised being taught the arts of stealth and covert fighting tactics pitted against someone bound to the typical rules and techniques is a smart move. The poor person Yurie battles would have no idea what was coming, nor would they know to be mindful of the hidden dangers.

I honestly think that her skill set is what makes her valuable, and they make up for her weaknesses, such as her health issues due to her albinism. That being said, there are a couple of things I do need to point out, and I do not remember if I did before. First, her archery skills, should you wish to keep them, would be so limited they would be basically useless. Unless she uses her bow and arrows in a less orthodox way (such as signaling and anchoring of ropes), she really has no use for them due to her poor eye sight. Secondly, I wanted to note that while I am allowing her to keep her use of poisons, she cannot always have a toxin on the weapons. She must think to apply it before going into a potentially dangerous situation. There are also some points that I will not allow her to use it.

All that aside, I am happy to see people talking about possible interactions. This already is looking better than the last one. *smiles*

Alright! Will change. Also gotta change his name from Soragawa-dono in her CS. :D IKR! Aren't you so excited!? I'm excited.

Name: Kikuichi Kirihime

Appearance:
kaorihime_standing_pose_by_redjuice999-d1x148f.jpg

Weapon(s): Odachi "Shirowari"
Carries a Naginata into battle

Personality: Normally very personable and respectful, straightforward and intelligent, even in the face of adversity. She loses her temper when she is belittled for her gender, and becomes brash and defiant.

Very tactically minded, she prefers to lead men on foot and doesn't often wear armor, preferring ornate kimono and hakama to gain a psychological edge over the enemy. She fully realizes that her advantage is the very thing which makes her angry.

History: The name Kikuichi carries significant weight in Yaku, as the first Lord Kikuichi held a small piece of land in the south of the region before deciding to sign it over to Clan Kanegawa in exchange for a title. Lord Kikuichi became a Samurai and his line served Kanegawa faithfully up until today.

The firstborn of this generation was the yaro-kabuki Kikuichi Jin, with the samurai Kikuichi Nagato coming second. The third and currently highest ranking of the two officers was Kikuichi Kirihime. Kirihime was the youngest of three and the senior of two warriors. Trained from a young age in Kenjutsu and Naginatajutsu, Kirihime strived to surpass her brother Nagato, who at the time was extremely sexist and encouraged Kirihime to follow Jin's footsteps. Kirihime went as far as to teach herself Ninjutsu, and went on to make her own style of Kenjutsu.

Kirihime joined Kanegawa as an officer shortly after Nagato, earning her family title at a younger age than him. The two strived to surpass each other, but Kirihime's raw talent and drive allowed her to pull ahead of Nagato. At age 17, she formally surpassed Nagato in rank. Nagato reacted by challenging her to a duel. Kirihime quickly gained the upper-hand and dealt a decisive slash across his left eye, ending his ability to fight effectively for the.time being. She spared him and Nagato demanded death. As Kirihime sheathed her sword, Nagato attempted a sneak attack, prompting Kirihime to counter. Her battojutsu ukemi caught Nagato off-guard and Kirihime left. Nagato rarely spoke afterwards.

Despite her achievements, Kirihime still faces adversity due to her gender, although many commoners of Yaku have learned of her temper and keep their distance.

Extra: Mini CS for Nagato (NPC) in spoiler
Name: Kikuichi Nagato

Appearance:
genji_v_4_by_dinmoney-d8gbxdz.jpg

Weapons: Katana, Tanto, Wakizashi, Bow, and Yari spear, with Odachi "Bishamon"

Personality: Before the duel, he was very snide, yet carefree. He had always been a sexist as the crowds he ran with in his youth instilled the idea into him. Before the duel, he was also a drinker. Now, after the duel, he spends his free time training or consorting with yujo. He is ahead of his time in that he understands the improvements of his abilities if he is fulfilled. He no longer drinks, partaking in revelry only if it helps his training that evening. He seldom speaks, except when words are absolutely necessary. He is extremely cunning and is becoming dissatisfied with his lord.

Last edited:
Firejay- Thank you! Yurie is now linked in the first post.

Verbal- There is only one thing I would like you to change in Kirihime's profile, and that would be adding hakama to her battle gear. Seeing as you describe her as a tactically minded-person, I doubt she would wear something that would inhibit her movement just to psych out an opponent. Further more, hakama can be just as ornate as a furisode ( the type of kimono she would wear), thus giving her the appearance she desires while being more more practical. I would also like to note that due to the dishonourable reaction to losing the duel, Nagato would be fated to remain a foot solider, and would not be regarded very highly by his peers, regardless of his diligent training since.

Has anyone had luck with finding friends interested in joining? Also, is the tab for the character sheet doubling for anyone else? I am trying to figure out how to fix it.

I'm interested - though I have to confess I don't know that much about this era and all of the customs... I'm assuming this is based around like...the Sengoku period? I do research as I create, but I may need some things corrected as I go.

Edit: If I would've read the rest of the tabs before I posted, I would've seen the link. I'm trash. ._.

Would you accept a healer of sorts? He would still be a warrior of course, but with a working knowledge of medicinal herbs/plants and how to tend wounds?

One more question before I start on my CS with assumptions in mind... Could you elaborate on the plot just a bit? I understand that our characters will have been working for this particular lord for some time and they will be well-acquainted with one another. What I suppose I'm wondering at is our purpose; what is it that we will be doing? Are we just starting by looking for said assassin? Sorry, I'm sure that sounds ignorant.

Oh, and yes - I'm seeing the double tab as well. If you're unable to get it, send me your code and I can look it over? Sometimes BBCode just up and breaks. Check at the bottom to see if you've got any missing or extra [tab] tags anywhere. Sometimes if you try to combine the RT editor and the BB editor it adds in unwanted tags to the code that messes things up. ><

Last edited by a moderator:
[fieldbox="Kuroki Makoto, #339966, solid"]

Name
Kuroki Makoto

Preferred Weapons
Kama
Katana

• Tall and broad shouldered, Makoto would be a fairly intimidating man - if it weren't for the near-constant smile curving his lips and the easy way with which he carries himself. His eyes are a light brown and hold a spark of perpetual youth, providing a stark contrast to the cascade of grayed locks that fall to his lower back; when he is training or fighting he keeps his hair drawn up and gathered at the back of his head. Makoto's typical attire consists of green or gray nagajuban with black collars and dark hakama. Like most warriors, Makoto wears his fair share of scars - largely on his arms and chest. He also sports several piercings in his ears, a customary fashion of his homeland.

• Genial and easy-going, Makoto is a rather agreeable individual who tends to look for light even in the darkest of places. He is an avid conversationalist and will chat with anyone willing, always ready to share a drink and a story. Considerably good-humoured, Makoto is fond of teasing his associates - especially those who tend to take things too seriously. He possesses a razor wit and loves nothing more than to banter, which he does not hesitate to use in order to get a rise out of others - even amidst fights. At times he can be rather forward with his thoughts, particularly when they concern intimate matters; he is wholly unafraid to be flirtatious and make lewd (but playful) comments and jokes.

Makoto is always willing to lend an ear to listen or a shoulder to cry on and, despite his love for talk and story-telling, he is an excellent secret-keeper when it comes to sensitive matters and knows when to be serious with his words. He holds a deep concern and care for others, and is fiercely loyal to those he serves and holds close, treating most everyone with a genuine kindness. He will often go out of his way to assist others without request or second thought.

Due to his relaxed nature, Makoto is not prone to stress. Rather, he would prefer to have a drink and a conversation while puffing away his worries on his kiseru, seemingly at peace with the world. He can be contemplative and even stern at times - though these occurrences are quite rare.

For all of his talk and teasing, Makoto does not like to speak of his past and, while he will talk openly about his home, he is sore-pressed to talk of his personal life prior to joining Kanegawa's ranks. Should such conversation arise he is not unkind, but quick to take the subject in another direction.

• Born to a high-ranking samurai of the Kuroki clan, Makoto was trained in the art of the sword and bow, as well as in the traditional, kama-wielding martial art of the Okamimori clans that serve under the Daimyo. Makoto had the good fortune of being born near the time of the Daimyo's son, Mori Takashi, and the children grew up as close friends.

Even as a child Makoto maintained a relaxed and patient demeanor and it proved invaluable in his training and studies. While he became highly proficient with the sword and the bow, his skill with the kama was nearly unmatched. When others would ask how he excelled so easily with the weapon his reply was always that a clear mind gave to a steady form. Of course this lead to many jokes from Takashi about Makoto's mind simply being empty - though it was something he was always able to laugh about.

Many more jokes would be made when Makoto one day declared his love for Takashi's sister, Chiharu. Being the eldest of three sisters, Chiharu had the liberty of taking the hand of a samurai - though she joked that she would only marry Makoto after Takashi had become the Daimyo. Makoto claimed that he would wait as long as necessary - and every minute not spent in training and service, he spent courting Chiharu. It came as no surprise to any when the two were wed a year later, marking Makoto's seventeenth year.

Never had the clans seen such a vivacious and passionate pairing - and Takashi often expressed his jealousy (good heartedly) and claimed that the spirits must be smiling upon them. The only thing that could've made the two happier was a child, though it seemed that such was not to be. For two years Makoto prayed to the great spirit of the okami, and finally, they were given a daughter, Miyuki. The girl shared her parents' joie de vivre and wholly captured Makoto's heart. There wasn't a day that passed in which he did not dote upon her and her mother and one would be sore-pressed to have found a happier man within all of Okamimori.

As the girl grew, Makoto instilled in her his deep respect for the natural world, his even temper, and his goodwill. From her mother she began to learn the healing powers of plants and herbs - and she delighted in all. Goodwill, however, is not always met with good fortune. During Miyuki's seventh year, Makoto had accompanied the Daimyo to a neighboring prefecture and returned to find his daughter deathly ill. While in the forest, the girl had come upon a wolf pup she'd thought to be injured and had hoped to bring it to her mother for healing. Unbeknownst to the child, the pup was rabid and it delivered a bite that transferred the sickness to her.

Makoto spent many sleepless days with Chiharu - doing all they could to tend to their daughter. Her ailment, however, was nothing that could be cured by herbs, medicines, or prayers - and on a too-peaceful spring morning, the girl died. Makoto and Chiharu were beside themselves - and their sorrow was felt throughout the clans. For weeks following their daughter's death, Chiharu prayed to the spirits of the okami, begging for a reason as to the girl's death - though no answers came. One month after the tragic event, Makoto awoke to find that Chiharu had taken her own life, kneeling at their daughter's grave.

Overwhelmed by grief and anger, the samurai began to withdraw into himself and became disillusioned with the world. In a single year he aged enough for ten; his hair grayed prematurely, his eyes dulled, and his ardor for life died away. He continued to carry out his duties under the Daimyo as his skill as a warrior remained, but his passion had gone and he served in silence. Unwilling to watch his friend suffer any longer, Takashi requested that his father honorably discharge Makoto to the status of ronin - in hope that he may again find happiness by leaving the place of grief.

Eight years later, Makoto sent word to Okamimori. In his travels he had finally found peace with himself, but feared he was not yet ready to return to the prefecture. Takashi, now Daimyo Mori, replied with his recommendation of one Daimyo Kanegawa. Ready to again take up service, Makoto traveled to Yaku to begin anew under Kanegawa's employ.

• Weapons
    Wakizashi
    Tanto
    Great-bow

Specializations
    Katana
    Kama

Fighting Style
    While Makoto possess talent with traditional blades and the great-bow, his favoured style of combat is the fighting style known to the Okamimori people: O-ha no Furu (leaves that fall from the sky). O-ha no Furu is a versatile form of martial art that is can be use while unarmed or wielding kama and utilizes a combination of speed, fluidity, and counter-leverage. Unlike the traditional wooden-handled blades used for harvesting, the kama used by the Okamimori clans are metal in their entirety. These unique weapons have a notch cut between the handle and blade which is employed in the use of catching an opposing blade, aiding in disarming an opponent.

Other Skills
    Like most from the clans serving Daimyo Mori, Makoto possesses moderate knowledge of medicinal herbs and plants. His skill became somewhat enhanced by his time spent with Chiharu, as she was a gifted herbalist. The samurai was also imparted the knowledge of dressing and sewing wounds - though he is hardly a stand-in for a trained doctor.

• Right-handed with swords; wields kama in both
    • Literate but would prefer to hear stories told rather than read them
    • Has few qualms about his intimate company - taking to either men or women
    • Enjoys music, but has no skill for it
    • Frequently leaves offerings for various spirits and would love to share folklore about such
    • Holds a deep reverence for nature and does not like to see it (be it plant or animal) needlessly harmed

• Username: PetticoatLane

Most Active: Weekday Evenings (CST)

Notes: Grad student -- may get swamped from time to time.

PM-Friendly

[/fieldbox]

Reactions: VerbalAbuse
Verbal- There is only one thing I would like you to change in Kirihime's profile, and that would be adding hakama to her battle gear. Seeing as you describe her as a tactically minded-person, I doubt she would wear something that would inhibit her movement just to psych out an opponent. Further more, hakama can be just as ornate as a furisode ( the type of kimono she would wear), thus giving her the appearance she desires while being more more practical. I would also like to note that due to the dishonourable reaction to losing the duel, Nagato would be fated to remain a foot solider, and would not be regarded very highly by his peers, regardless of his diligent training since.
Added Hakama to her gear, and about Nagato...

He was a high ranking samurai before the duel, due to both clan and ability. Would he really be disgraced so terribly?

I'm interested - though I have to confess I don't know that much about this era and all of the customs... I'm assuming this is based around like...the Sengoku period? I do research as I create, but I may need some things corrected as I go.

Edit: If I would've read the rest of the tabs before I posted, I would've seen the link. I'm trash. ._.

Would you accept a healer of sorts? He would still be a warrior of course, but with a working knowledge of medicinal herbs/plants and how to tend wounds?

One more question before I start on my CS with assumptions in mind... Could you elaborate on the plot just a bit? I understand that our characters will have been working for this particular lord for some time and they will be well-acquainted with one another. What I suppose I'm wondering at is our purpose; what is it that we will be doing? Are we just starting by looking for said assassin? Sorry, I'm sure that sounds ignorant.

Oh, and yes - I'm seeing the double tab as well. If you're unable to get it, send me your code and I can look it over? Sometimes BBCode just up and breaks. Check at the bottom to see if you've got any missing or extra [tab] tags anywhere. Sometimes if you try to combine the RT editor and the BB editor it adds in unwanted tags to the code that messes things up. ><
Wonderful to see new interest! The general feel of the RP is a hazy blend of Muromachi through the early Edo period. Though some of the prefectures are battling over land or resources, there is no nation-wide war currently. I am not sure I could pinpoint all the details I have pulled from the different eras, but if you would like further explanation of the nation, I can give that.

I will accept your character having knowledge of such things, though it would be limited as a hobby unless their family is tied to the medicine business somehow.

Our characters are the Daimyo's personal guard; they are the ones who work solely under his orders and carry out tasks ranging from bodyguard to courier every day. The plot of this rp is that the Daimyo is in danger, but it is something only our characters know of, and cannot prove. Our enemies are clever and sly, ultimately pitting the Lord and his advisers against us. At the start of the roleplay, everything is normal, and our characters do not know of the danger just yet. If you need a better explanation, I can try to give one to you later, right now I am struggling to focus, as I have a temperamental ten year old to deal with.

I have checked for any loose code, and have not found any. I will scan everything over again later tonight, and if I still cannot find it, I will send the full coding to you via PM. Thank you for volunteering to help.

He was a high ranking samurai before the duel, due to both clan and ability. Would he really be disgraced so terribly?
If he was an officer, he would be even more disgraced for attacking after he lost the duel, especially since Kirihime had sheathed her weapon. High rank demands high respect, both given and received. The only way I could see him remaining an officer is if Kirihime herself asked for him to not lose his title. Clan really would not mean much in such a decision, unless the Kikuichi clan was a strong financial/material supporter of the Kanegawa line. Such ties would make it less likely for him to be punished too severely.

Thanks! I'm actually pretty excited for this - but, as I said, I may need some corrections here and there. (Mostly names of things and customs. Probably.)

Ah, alright -- that's making more sense plot-wise. You don't have to share too much if you want to keep it a surprise or whatnot, I was just curious. Thank you for elaborating. Also, er...good luck with that? Respect for parents - because I could never do it.

As for the coding, feel free. BBCode is kind of a pain when other mechanics get involved - it breaks waayyy too easily. No worries, I'm happy to help if/where I can. c:

Oh! Could you tell me roughly where Okamimori is in relation to Yaku? (Are characters permitted to be from that area?)

Also, how to surnames work? If someone were to be from a land where the Daimyo's name was "Môri," the surname of a samurai who served him would be different, yes?

Also, uh... Is Nagato compensating for something with that big-ass sword? 'Cause...damn.

Hmmm. I know that it is kinda my fault that the previous roleplay failed, but I might re-join. I was working the night shift at work and college took up my days, but now work has moved me to days so I have more free time. :/

Anyways, this looks better than the Original.

Ornstein: So long as you can confirm that I will not have issues with you not responding for long periods and that you will keep up with the roleplay, you may write up a character.

Lane: I expect to help everyone when it comes to terminology, customs and the like. If you are ever unsure about something, please just ask.

If you are asking where the two prefectures are physically, there is a map in the Land of Akuo tab. Just click the small spoiler that says "show", at the top. Yaku is still shown there as "Yakuz", as it needs to be corrected. Your character can be from any prefecture, though you must explain as to why they left their home to serve Kanegawa-dono, if only vaguely.

Your character would not have the same last name as their Lord unless they are a part of their family, as is the case of mine. I will note that the son of a Lord leaving that prefecture behind of their own accord would be rare and dishonourable. There are a few cases in which it is less obscene, which I can explain if needed. I am not sure if you need this explanation, but when it comes to constructing a last name, the base line is fairly simple. They typically include reference to a place or object in nature, combined with an adjective. for example, Kanegawa means "golden river", while Kikuichi is a combination of kiku (chrysanthamum) and ichi, which is the word for "one", though can refer to something being the best, or of high quality.

All: I managed to get the tabs issue fixed on my own! I had just missed one of the closing codes for a tab. We also now have a title image and some theme music. I hope you enjoy the selection as much as I do.

Last edited:
@KageKaioh Would you mind terribly if I sent you a PM? I have a few more questions and I don't want to keep taking up space here. ._.

Eh. I change my mind, hope the roleplay goes well though.

Ornstein: Alright then, I hope you find another roleplay to fill up your free time with.

Things slowed down here :/

Uh, in an effort to pick things up...

Hello!

I'm working on a CS - and, obviously, I wasn't in the last group so I'm still a little behind with things... But, it's nice to meet everyone?

Have you all already worked out character relationships and interactions and whatnot? Or is that something you do IC? I'm not sure how long each character has worked under the Daimyo, so I'm not sure how well they would be acquainted with one another.

Uh, in an effort to pick things up...

Hello!

I'm working on a CS - and, obviously, I wasn't in the last group so I'm still a little behind with things... But, it's nice to meet everyone?

Have you all already worked out character relationships and interactions and whatnot? Or is that something you do IC? I'm not sure how long each character has worked under the Daimyo, so I'm not sure how well they would be acquainted with one another.
Well in my head I had my character only working under his daimyo for a few weeks having recently being a ronin or a samuari without a lord. (On my phone dont kill me for spelling) It is nice to meet you! I have yet to work out any of the relations or interactions my character will have with the others save one. If you would like to know my character just let me know and we can work something out. I. Still watching this rp and plan to be participating whe. The Ic gets posted! Hype still real

Reactions: Perfect Neglect
Hello. I'm an alcoholic and I might have stalked @PetticoatLane here.

Feudal Japan (and settings based on it) have produced some excellent stories in my experience. It's also something I'm quite familiar with. I like the look of this and it feels promising. However, I can not guarantee anything at the moment. I am a little low in inspiration and wouldn't want to join something I can't commit to (inactivity and inability is damaging to both parties). I am going to read over things a bit more before and play around with character ideas. So, I am very interested I'm just not sure if it is for the best I join, yet.